I want new consoles dammit! Page 5

  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:29:11
    MiniAmin wrote:
    No offense to anyone but I think Mowgli's comparison has been overstated and removed from its intended context. Mowgli only introduced phones as an example of how graphics on home consoles have plateaued. That's it.
    This. This. This. This. This. This. If I could type without swearing and raging it would look like this.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:29:28
    Mowgli I aren't trying to yank your chain here, what your saying is there needs to be a new generation of home consoles ASAP because Smart phones are on a par or will be if there isn't one. My question to you is, WHY?
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:30:59
    Headshot.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:34:27
    I doubt we've seen the PS3's best graphics yet, the Wii and 360 have probably plateaued.

    I think the flaw in Mowgli's argument is that new consoles may not immediately lead to discerningly better graphics right now. Developers take their time to get round the architecture of a system.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:34:28
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:34:47
    If your self confessed graphics whore and a true gamer (I hate that name, makes me cringe) then why don't you invest in a high end gaming PC.

    Makes sense don't you think?
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:37:50
    Also what Mr Damon said, at the end of the life of the PS2 there was some amazingly graphical games, what's to say the PS3, Xbox won't be the same.
  • mwtb 6 Sep 2010 00:37:58 2,381 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The graphics on a small set of fixed hardware platforms have "stagnated" relative to an amorphous blob of tech called "phones" that have dozens of manufacturers pushing out new hardware revisions as fast as they can? Wow. No shit.
  • LionheartDJH 6 Sep 2010 00:39:35 19,490 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MiniAmin wrote:
    No offense to anyone but I think Mowgli's comparison has been overstated and removed from its intended context. Mowgli only introduced phones as an example of how graphics on home consoles have plateaued. That's it.

    +1 to this. At first I didn't quite see where he was coming from, but now I see, and his point really has been blown out of proportion.

    She dives for cheese pasties

  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:41:12
    mwtb wrote:
    The graphics on a small set of fixed hardware platforms have "stagnated" relative to an amorphous blob of tech called "phones" that have dozens of manufacturers pushing out new hardware revisions as fast as they can? Wow. No shit.
    That's what i've been saying and what's to say they've stagnated anyway.
  • dunts 6 Sep 2010 00:41:40 4,211 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We haven't even seen the best of this gen yet in terms of games. The best games usually come out near the end of their cycle.

    Edit- Sorry I didn't read Matt's post, left it in the post box for a while and the discussion had moved on. Once devs get to grips fully with the console they can then get the best out of them. As some games takes years to develop it usually means the end of consoles life will see the best games arrive, gameplay, graphics, everything.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:44:25
    Exactly, Killzone 3 and Halo Reach say hi. not forgetting Naughty Dogs next IP.
  • danathjo 6 Sep 2010 00:44:44 7,428 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think if Sony or MS bring out another console soon it would kill them, the current machines are still expensive (excluding the 360 arcade). I couldn't imagine what kind of technology would be warranted for a generation leap with doing another PS3 type launch at a stupidly high price...and we all know how well that went.

    I don't think stuff like 1080p/60fps+ really works when trying to advertise to the masses.
  • dunts 6 Sep 2010 00:50:14 4,211 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Could the tards shut up and give Mowgli a break FFS, his point is completely valid.

    Who you calling a tard? I made one post and it wasn't directed at mowgli in the slightest.

    /thinks you weren't talking about me anyway.

    /toast! from my next gen toaster!
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:52:12
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Could the tards shut up and give Mowgli a break FFS, his point is completely valid.

    If you say so Hitler.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 00:53:27
    Hopefully, and this will hurt Mowgli, the next gen will be about fun and new ways of controlling said fun instead of all this out doing each other graphics wise. It's nice don't get me wrong but I want new ways to play my games now and Move and Kinect are exciting times, well for me anyway :) Wouldn't want to lose the traditional way of playing games though and I think Sony is heading in the right direction with that one giving you the option, but who knows what Nintendo have up their sleeves.
  • dunts 6 Sep 2010 00:55:26 4,211 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not quite sure this toast is getting toasted the way it should be. Or maybe I'm just so used to it this way I'm getting bored and wanting more? Is it time to move on to the next level of toasting? Whatever that may be.
  • MiniAmin 6 Sep 2010 00:55:34 3,427 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    MiniAmin wrote:
    No offense to anyone but I think Mowgli's comparison has been overstated and removed from its intended context. Mowgli only introduced phones as an example of how graphics on home consoles have plateaued. That's it.

    +1 to this. At first I didn't quite see where he was coming from, but now I see, and his point really has been blown out of proportion.

    Yeah man. I don't agree with Mowgli but I understand where he's coming from. Red Dead blew me away graphically, but presumably, GNGs (genuine next gen) consoles will produce graphics which overshadow this gen's Red Deads and Uncharted 2s, and I think that's the point Mowgli's getting at.

    I think it's okay to express disbelief when someone demonstrates an indifference towards a beautiful game. But it's unreasonable to criticise that person, graphical beauty is still entirely subjective (but i'd say graphical fidelity isn't). Personally i'm happy with current consoles and i'd be happy with them for the next few years, but I don't think it's superficial to crave new hardware which can support better graphical fidelity.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 01:02:03
    XrustynutsX wrote:
    If your self confessed graphics whore and a true gamer (I hate that name, makes me cringe) then why don't you invest in a high end gaming PC.

    Makes sense don't you think?
    I'm not a self confessed graphics whore. I think graphics in today's games are stunning, RDR completely blew me away, as well Uncharted 2 and Batman etc. My favourite games are from the PS1 era and I'm in the middle of replaying them. I would just like to see an improvement in graphics, not because that is 'all that matters' but because I like to see advancements in my hobby! I'm a gadget whore and I've had my favourite console for five years now, that is a long time in 'shiny new toy' terms!
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 01:06:18
    I'm not mocking Mowgli's aspiration, I too ultimately hope something comes along which graphically trumps what we are playing just now. It's the expectation of instant gratification that I find wrong.

    The 360 didn't impress me until Gears of War, a whole year after it's release. New console doesn't simply equate to better graphics.

    Then you have to factor in the abilities, creativity and costs of development. It's just not feasible in the current market.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 01:15:56
    So you're a Gadget whore :) I am too but without the funds for feeding this habit :( although I did buy a Sat Nav a few weeks back just because... B.A. Barrackas and Ozzy Ozbourne shouting directions at you never gets boring.

    Seriously though if your pining for a new tech toy you should get hold of a really swanky laptop and get hold of some really fun innovative software to run on it, that's if you already haven't that is, and I don't just mean games.
  • PenguinJim 6 Sep 2010 01:24:11 5,905 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    XrustynutsX wrote:
    If your self confessed graphics whore and a true gamer (I hate that name, makes me cringe) then why don't you invest in a high end gaming PC.

    Makes sense don't you think?
    I'm not a self confessed graphics whore. I think graphics in today's games are stunning, RDR completely blew me away, as well Uncharted 2 and Batman etc. My favourite games are from the PS1 era and I'm in the middle of replaying them. I would just like to see an improvement in graphics, not because that is 'all that matters' but because I like to see advancements in my hobby! I'm a gadget whore and I've had my favourite console for five years now, that is a long time in 'shiny new toy' terms!
    Get a DX11 card (like a 460 or 5770 or something, they're nice and cheap).

    Also, you only got a PS1 five years ago?! But you want new consoles NOW? :D Or maybe your favourite games console isn't the one with your favourite games, and I'm jumping to conclusions. :p
  • eathetoastyumyum 6 Sep 2010 01:26:56 4 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The current approach of tinkering with existing toasters is not only sound in its toasty frugality, but also justified given the fact that we are emerging from the dark times of the toast repossessions. Current toast machines still chug along, giving us crispiness. One day the new toast generation will rise up, naked and covered in placenta, but until that day comes, there are still interesting toasts to be seen here - whole-grain toast, toasted croissant and perhaps Jesus on toast.
  • Futaba 6 Sep 2010 02:52:18 3,516 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do people really give a shit about games on (i)phones/pads/whateverthefuckisoutnextmonth? I sure as hell don't. And it's taken this long for some developers to finally get used to the current consoles, I don't want new ones out so soon so they can release shit new games for those while they try to get to grips with it. A lot of the PS2s best and most graphically impressive games came during the last few years of its life.

    Having better more pixels doesn't automatically equal a better game anyway, in fact it's the opposite. Games would be more expensive to make, plus they'd need more manpower and time spent (increasing the chance of 'high-risk', creative titles not being made).

    As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

  • Psychotext 6 Sep 2010 02:58:28 54,391 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not sure I want placenta covered toast. :S
  • Telepathic.Geometry 6 Sep 2010 03:11:14 11,396 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I want a new console life-cycle to begin because, I wanna play the Wii to in HD, with a wireless nunchuk, better sensitivity, PSN/LIVE style friends lists and achievements.

    As for PS3, I think that Move is the new console life-cycle. The graphics are already good enough, the feel is what needs to change. A small change in graphics would not make up for what would in the end be the same old tired gameplay.

    I think that Kinect will be great in about 4 or 5 years.

    || PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

  • SpaceDave3000 6 Sep 2010 03:37:37 78,392 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    Indeed.

    Anyone actually know if the tech is around for a big graphical upgrade or not?

    Or is that something noone would know?
    As has been the case for nearly 20 years, consoles go the way of PCs, so you only need look at where PCs are now to tell if there have been any huge leaps.

    And there hasn't really, it's all sort of plateaued somewhere between production costs and sales. Consoles hold overall hardware development back because the publishers force developers to produce graphically hamstrung games for multiplatform sales, meaning the entire hardware evolution cycle is effectively halted.

    With unlimited production costs, unlimited time and unlimited hardware backing, a big dreamteam of talented developers could make a photorealistic game. Problem is that's not going to happen for a very long time, because none of those things exist.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • docrob 6 Sep 2010 08:13:26 291 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's a cycle in gaming - as the current gen of consoles gets older, PC gaming becomes popular again for a couple of years. At the low point for PCs in this cycle, all PC games virtually disappear from the shops. We hit this point about a year ago. I suspect there will be a bit of a resurgence over the next year or two, until the next consoles appear.
  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

Log in or register to reply