Firefall

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Spekingur 5 Sep 2010 13:08:44 483 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Firefall has just been announced at PAX.

What is Firefall?

Firefall is a team-based action shooter combining deep character progression with an open-world cooperative campaign that can be shared with hundreds of other players. Firefall will also have a rich competitive multiplayer component incorporating built-in features such as clan support, ladders, tournaments and stats.

Firefall takes place on Earth, but it is an Earth transformed. The year is 2233. A highly efficient form of energy was discovered by utilizing the resource Crystite. The overuse of Crystite led to the disastrous arrival of the Melding, an energy storm that has engulfed the majority of the planet. You play as a surviving human in the eye of the Melding storm.

Recently, humanity has been fighting for survival against a race calling themselves the Chosen. They emerged from the Melding with only one known goal, the destruction of the human race.

When does the game come out?

We are planning to release Firefall at the end of 2011.

Is Firefall an MMO?

No. Firefall is first and foremost an action shooter. We incorporated a lot of elements that you might find in various genres, including MMOs, but it is not an MMO in the traditional sense.

How much will Firefall cost to play?

We are so excited about Firefall that we want to make sure everyone can play it and join their friends in the game. When Firefall releases, it will be available online for download and play for absolutely free.

Will there be a subscription fee?

Absolutely not. We do not feel that a subscription fee best suits the style of game we are creating.

How do you plan to make money?

We plan to offer a marketplace for Firefall that will offer players items to enhance their gaming experience. We are adamantly against selling anything that might compromise the skill-based aspect of the game.

What are you showing at PAX?

We are demoing a portion of the open-world experience. You can check out the same demonstration (minus the awesome experience of meeting the dev team) by checking out the movies on http://www.firefallthegame.com/

Are there any additional details regarding the competitive multiplayer?

For now, we are only discussing the open-world co-op experience. You can expect to see a lot more about the muliplayer experience at a later date.

What are battleframes?

Battleframes are sets of armor and weapons that denote your class in Firefall. You will customize these pieces of armor and weapons through modules and upgrades to create your own unique style of play. Battleframes can be switched out during gameplay at a battleframe station, giving you the option to change tactics on-the-fly.

How many battleframes will there be at launch?

For PAX, we are only talking about the Assault and Medic battleframes. Additional details will be released later.

It has that Borderlands look about it - not only in graphics style but also with the idea of loot. This is probably something every Borderlands fan should take a look at.
    There is no news of weither it will be on consoles, everything seems to hint towards a PC only title.
  • Dirtbox 5 Sep 2010 13:22:44 77,634 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, shades of Borderlands gameplay but using Cryengine 2 if I'm not mistaken.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Sep 2010 13:31:35 37,656 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The video has me completely sold... But I feel like I've seen that game before - has there been screenshots previously released or something?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 5 September 2010 13:36:39
    Spekingur wrote:
    Firefall has just been announced at PAX.

What is Firefall?

Firefall is a team-based action shooter

zzzzz
  • JoeBlade 5 Sep 2010 14:21:15 2,508 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks nice enough technically but it immediately struck me as a patchwork of FPS clichés.

FPS+co-op+classes+levelling in particular has become quite yawntastic allright.
  • Immaterial 5 Sep 2010 18:36:29 1,324 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Hmm, shades of Borderlands Cel shading but using Cryengine 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• Pirotic Moderator 5 Sep 2010 19:51:38 20,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a high calibre team, lead tribes designer, wow project lead and other ex blizzard guys on art and coding. Looks like they got the logo guy to do some moonlighting for them :)

The business model sounds interesting, has anybody outside or Korea made that method work yet?
  • Spekingur 5 Sep 2010 20:18:41 483 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    F2P game? League of Legends is a good example.
  • istandfreed 5 Sep 2010 20:31:05 2,388 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks pretty good, definite Borderlands aesthetic going on. Colour me interested.
  • JoeBlade 5 Sep 2010 20:34:23 2,508 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    The business model sounds interesting, has anybody outside or Korea made that method work yet?
    From what I read D&D online has become quite successful since they adopted that business model, much more so than before the switch at least. And Zynga pretty much cornered the Facebook games market with the same model.
    Or were you referring to something other than the free-to-play, pay-for-extras approach?
  • Pirotic Moderator 5 Sep 2010 20:47:12 20,646 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I forgot about D&D online, I guess my worry is balance - surely they are going to have to design the game in a way which helps tempt people to pay for these extras, so for example - lower the amount of loot/gold dropped from enemies, create dull 'grind' elements which can be overcome with some cash.. I don't think changing hair colour is going to cover the budget, it's hardly a small indie project.
  • Dizzy 5 Sep 2010 21:12:23 2,617 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks quite good. Will keep an eye on it.
  • Spekingur 5 Sep 2010 21:35:49 483 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    I forgot about D&D online, I guess my worry is balance - surely they are going to have to design the game in a way which helps tempt people to pay for these extras, so for example - lower the amount of loot/gold dropped from enemies, create dull 'grind' elements which can be overcome with some cash.. I don't think changing hair colour is going to cover the budget, it's hardly a small indie project.

It's probably going to be in the form of boosts (normally xp or money) of some kind. Lord of the Rings Online is also going F2P, btw.
  • Menace 6 Sep 2010 10:16:26 5,741 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just signed up for the Beta - looking forward to trying it out.

www.bigbitegames.com/soccer

• pinebear 6 Sep 2010 11:10:04 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Same.

• hollowroom 6 Sep 2010 12:45:16 189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    third person only?
  • Spekingur 6 Sep 2010 12:59:08 483 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, it appears that you will be able to switch between 3rd and 1st person views.
  • hollowroom 6 Sep 2010 13:48:48 189 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sweet.
  • Tabasco 7 Sep 2010 17:02:23 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've signed up for the Beta too. Have to say though, the official forum is a slightly scary place.
  • Spekingur 7 Sep 2010 17:42:12 483 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, their forums kind of exploded. I think just that might be a good sign so far :D
  • pinebear 11 Apr 2011 11:45:16 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rabid fans being rabid about Firefall at PAX East last month

Gearbox need to hurry up and announce Borderworlds.

• khaz 24 May 2012 00:32:32 2,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/12/hands-on-firefall-beta/

Those who are still interested. This is starting to shape up to be something special. RPS's hands on highlights a ton of interesting ideas. I really hope this turns out as good as it sounds.
  • Tabasco 24 May 2012 07:27:41 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had actually signed up to be a alpha/beta tester on this as it looked great. Never heard anything back mind...
  • khaz 11 Jun 2012 06:58:06 2,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did you get in Tabasco?
  • Tabasco 11 Jun 2012 07:06:17 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nope. Not heard a thing...
  • Tabasco 26 Aug 2012 10:35:30 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just got in on the beta. I think I have an invite for someone else if anyone wants it?
  • WiseFool 26 Aug 2012 11:01:55 874 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes please! =)
  • Tabasco 26 Aug 2012 11:05:10 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PM me your email addy. The website and game are a bit fucked at the moment for some reason...
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous