Useful Software Guide 2011 Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Deleted user 17 November 2010 17:29:29
    Putting my 3GB to shame :(
  • mrpon 12 Dec 2010 21:41:17 28,749 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wunderlist now has a free app on the Apple store, only just installed but it looks good so far.

\o/

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Dirtbox 17 Dec 2010 14:08:45 77,686 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dropbox just came out of beta and is fully final now.

Essential shit.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Lexx87 30 Dec 2010 12:59:19 20,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just came in here to praise Dropbox as well. Just wanted to say cheers for pointing me to it it's been fucking useful and so ridiculously simple to use.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Dirtbox 30 Dec 2010 12:59:47 77,686 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cool beans!

• Blerk Moderator 1 Jan 2011 18:09:20 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    An open question for anyone who might know of anything along these lines.

First, the history:
    The old laptop conked out today, wouldn't start - 'missing or corrupted' file in the registry hive. Booted Linux, went to swap the files out for the last restore point.... oh dear. Restore points appear to be turned off - none there. Had to use the default 'repair' ones from (wait for it!) 2004. Ouch. Result - Windows boots again, registry woefully out of date so much so as to be practically useless.

The reason:
    Disk corruption, right in the middle of the SYSTEM file, the biggest god-damn file in the whole registry. Fucksticks.

The question:
    Chkdsk has sorted the bad bit of the disk out and 'recovered' the SYSTEM file. Obviously it's now useless because it's got big blank bits in the middle somewhere where chkdsk couldn't read the data. Is there anything out there that could take the old registry files (I have copies!) and extract whatever 'good' data it can from them so I can merge it into the new registry?

I'm guessing.... no. In which case I think I'll need to reinstall practically every piece of software on the machine. Might be a good time to think about reducing the amount of crap on there, I guess.

I wonder why restore points were turned off? Do you actively have to turn that feature on? Can it turn itself off if the disk gets full or something? Pretty sure I've never had a virus on this machine.
  • jellyhead 1 Jan 2011 18:52:11 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What windows version?
    You can try booting to the Recovery Console and ... idiot content deleted ... or try one of the options in the Reg command to import your registry file.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Blerk Moderator 1 Jan 2011 19:08:20 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's XP. Unfortunately I can't import the old one because it's in the wrong format - you have to 'export' first before you can 'import' back in, and obviously I hadn't done that. And it's impossible to do that now because the file's corrupt.

The restored system isn't proving to be much use, tbh. Hardly anything's working, including the wireless card, so I think I'm going to have to go for the last resort 'run the system restore discs' option. Which is a bit disappointing. :-|

It's probably doing this on purpose because it knows I've got a new one, but I was hoping it'd stay up and running for the kids to play around with.

Remember, kids - backups are important!

/facepalm
  • Blerk Moderator 1 Jan 2011 19:37:55 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually, running 'system restore' looks really bad - it reformats the drive. Hmm. Last resort.
  • Dirtbox 4 Jan 2011 11:30:24 77,686 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk, what you do is boot from the XP CD, go through the options as if you want to install a fresh copy, select the partition with XP already installed and select the option for a repair install.

Should have it fixed up in about 45 mins.

Or would have had I have seen this. Sorry. Just PM me next time.

• Blerk Moderator 4 Jan 2011 11:33:45 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah... trouble is, that laptop didn't come with XP CDs, it just came with a set of 'reinstall the original disc image' CDs.

As it turned out, it wasn't quite as bad as I thought. XP was totally wrecked so I had to reinstall, but the restore CDs only wiped the first partition. I copied everything that was actually useful over to the other partition and just wiped the lot, did a full update, reinstalled the bits and pieces which I actually needed and then copied the data back.

Took about a day to do, but man I wish I'd done it years ago - it's much, MUCH faster than it was before. It'll never win any races, but it's now a perfectly serviceable second machine for the kids to lark around with.

I've made sure system restore is ON now, btw. :-)
  • Dirtbox 4 Jan 2011 11:36:38 77,686 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ideally you should put XP on it's own little partition so you can wipe and reinstall without worrying about data loss. It's a lot easier to skim backups off that way as well, and you'll be surprised at the amount of apps that will run without needing a reinstall after the OS partition has had a reformat.

Restore is brilliant, it's saved my arse far too many times for it to be a fluke.

• Blerk Moderator 4 Jan 2011 11:44:50 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If it'd actually been turned on it'd have been a two-minute fix. If I turned it off for some reason in the past I need to visit my past self and kick me in the bollocks.
  • coastal 9 Jan 2011 13:17:53 5,382 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    back to recommendations...

Rainmeter to make your desktop look gorgeous. It occupies about 10mb of your ram which isn't a lot. Very configurable and some nice touches such as a 'now playing' skin for itunes (pah) and winamp (hooray). Mentioned on lifehacker this week.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• FooAtari 9 Jan 2011 23:04:21 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Im not usually one for desktop customization. I like mine lean and fast and turn off most graphical effects. But this does look interesting, shall read up on it.
  • Trowel 12 Jan 2011 20:23:52 17,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Speaking of desktops, can anyone recommend anything for XP/Vista that mimics the window layout tricks of Windows 7, ie. dragging to the side to expand to half screen, to the top for full screen etc. I got Samsung's Multiscreen with my new monitor, which is ok for basic allignment but a nightmare as soon as you want to start dragging windows about with the intention of keeping them in their current state.
  • Dirtbox 12 Jan 2011 20:34:13 77,686 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You'll be better off if you use something like Maxto, there should still be the free version knocking around the net. The side docking thing is used so rarely, it's barely worth worrying about.

• Trowel 12 Jan 2011 20:44:04 17,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers, though looks to have the same restrictions as Samsung's, ie. windows are forced to expand to your regions, rather than allowing you to chose when it happens as in W7. FWIW I side dock all the time at work.
  • Dirtbox 12 Jan 2011 20:46:43 77,686 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not forced, no. You can have it maximise by default or have it maximise a certain way by clicking the maximise button and one of two alternative layout modifyer keys.

I've used the win7 way exactly never.

• Dirtbox 17 Jan 2011 19:58:52 77,686 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dropbox is current having a scavanger hunt http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=30588&replies=1

It's pretty good, but I'm already stuck and I'm only on step 4!

• mrpon 18 Jan 2011 00:31:49 28,749 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not immediately obvious.

Google Map the co-ords

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 4 First / Last