DmC (Devil May Cry 5) Page 20

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• jellyhead 5 Feb 2013 18:46:48 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MVCUK - Sales Projections halved - Fans are to blame.

Itís potentially a sad end to a tale brought about very much by the fans themselves. Anyone who played Devil May Cry 4 must surely of seen how desperately the IP needed an injection of new ideas and modernisation Ė which is exactly what the skilful Ninja Theory achieved.

Yet the fans revolted because Capcom dared to reinvent its IP for the 21st century and dared to change the colour of Danteís hair. Itís really very sad.
    Capcom wanted a reboot of DMC. Chased after a new crowd and alienated many old fans with their changes and attitude towards criticism of the redesigns. Capcom fail to make game that attracts as many new fans as wanted so sales are underprojections. Blame fans for not buying game they didn't want.

From what i've seen the new DmC will have long legs. The PC version seems like a good port and is well recieved. Some people don't like the new combat system but i imagine that's true of each of the previous games and a risk you take when you change things.

MVC is an industry site so it's bound to take Capcom's side but is it true or did Capcom market DmC badly.

also...
    Anyone who played Devil May Cry 4 must surely of seen how desperately ...
    surely of seen
    surely of seen
    Proofread much.

Edited by jellyhead at 18:47:17 05-02-2013

This signature intentionally left blank.

• King_Edward 5 Feb 2013 18:48:25 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    Ninja Theory's buddies in the press are starting to spit the dummy now the sales projections have been slashed.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capcom-almost-halves-dmc-sales-expectations/0110372
    Truly lolworthy. If the game falls short it'll be because it fails to attract the new audience Capcom were looking for. Not between a few people who said they weren't going to like it, didn't like it.

It's a shame because it is a good game, but blaming "the haters" for hating it is moronic.
  • bobdebob 5 Feb 2013 18:59:37 545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    It's a shame because it is a good game, but blaming "the haters" for hating it is moronic.
    I guess it's a overreaction to literally hundreds of threads debasing the game and Team Ninja. Just check gamefaq's DmC section, dozens of threads being setup to knock DmC.

The article was a bad idea, now there's more ammo for them.

Edit:
    jellyhead wrote:
    MVC is an industry site so it's bound to take Capcom's side but is it true or did Capcom market DmC badly.
    There weren't any tv adverts for DMC were there?

Edited by bobdebob at 19:01:52 05-02-2013
  • SomaticSense 5 Feb 2013 20:02:13 7,940 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @khaz You didn't like them, that's fine. But to describe them as 'godawful' suggests you haven't played anywhere close to enough games to be able to offer a valuable and informed opinion.

Although if you genuinely feel that way, then part of me is jealous of you for Enslaved being 'godawful' in comparison to the rest of the games you've played. Because it would mean you've never played a shit game... ever.
  • King_Edward 5 Feb 2013 20:15:00 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Enslaved was god awful. A lip syncing tech demo written by some two bit prick film tart, who wrote a script for a something even a genius like Danny Boyle couldn't turn into anything better than a half decent flick. The camera was too close, the fighting was pointless, the platforming did itself , and there were two fucking colours in the whole game. Broccoli and baked beans. SICK TO DEATH OF HEARING ABOUT HOW THAT TOTAL TURD ONLY SOLD NEARLY A MILLION COPIES.

Of course if you liked it that's cool too, everyone's got an opinion and taste is after all totally subjective. :)
  • SomaticSense 5 Feb 2013 20:22:51 7,940 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was average personally. It was perfectly playable, and I thought the plot was more absorbing than the genre's norm. The platforming was fine (very similar to the Uncharted games), but the combat was woolly and button mashy and the ranged combat felt gimmicky.

However average and shit do not mean the same thing.
  • King_Edward 5 Feb 2013 20:27:59 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes, but you thinking it's average doesn't prohibit someone else thinking it's shit.
  • khaz 5 Feb 2013 20:28:16 2,705 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've only been gaming since the Atari ST2600. Clearly I have never played shit games. Stop making assumptions on information you don't have. At least i'm calling these games shit after playing them thoroughly.

The reason I find Enslaved godawful is pretty much what Edward said. It was similar to that PoP reboot where the whole game plays itself. Especially the platforming, its just a mass of automated qte sequences where you don't have to do anything. The only time it got good was when Erika is taken away from you and lo and behold, the platforming suddenly opens up, requires player input and a modicum of intellgence.

I don't like being insulted by a game which is telling me that I don't trust you to make a simple jump. Its simple as that.
  • SomaticSense 5 Feb 2013 20:39:26 7,940 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @King_Edward So you mean 'shit' in that annoying 'not actually shit, but I just don't like it for whatever reason' kind of way?

There are plenty of games I hate, but would never be able to realistically call them 'godawful'. I'd have a warped sense of perspective and sense of quality if I did.

edit: Besides which, NT have now proven (albeit with Capcom supervision) that they are capable of making a great game. So I'm not entirely sure of the merits of bringing HS and Enslaved into khaz's initial post if not for a sloppy backhanded compliment.

Edited by SomaticSense at 20:44:37 05-02-2013
  • King_Edward 5 Feb 2013 20:44:32 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No. You'd have an opinion. Your opinion would be that it's shit. "I don't like it for some reason" is just a less drastic opinion than "I think it's shit", but they''re both just opinions.
  • SomaticSense 5 Feb 2013 20:46:04 7,940 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No it's just lazy.
  • King_Edward 5 Feb 2013 20:47:59 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A lazy opinion, yes.

But I agree there was no point in bringing up HS or Enslaved. Even if they were objectively bad, they'd say nothing about DmC.

Edited by King_Edward at 20:49:59 05-02-2013
  • SomaticSense 5 Feb 2013 20:51:06 7,940 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Exactly. A lazy opinion that offers nothing except making the poster sound like a 13 year old Gamefaqs user who has nothing of any worth to say.
  • King_Edward 5 Feb 2013 20:53:53 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well it's a good job you coaxed a little more detail out of him then. He nearly looked very immature.
  • Feanor 5 Feb 2013 21:00:45 14,053 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    A lazy opinion, yes.

But I agree there was no point in bringing up HS or Enslaved. Even if they were objectively bad, they'd say nothing about DmC.
    Nothing except that Ninja Theory can't make a hit whether Sony Cambridge helps them, Capcom helps them, or they do it all on their own.
  • kinky_mong 5 Feb 2013 22:23:32 9,946 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Enslaved was god awful. A lip syncing tech demo written by some two bit prick film tart, who wrote a script for a something even a genius like Danny Boyle couldn't turn into anything better than a half decent flick.
    Are you refering to 28 Days Later or Sunshine? I think calling Alex Garland a two bit prick film tart in the same breath as calling Danny "overrated wankathon peddler" Boyle a genius is pretty fucking laughable when it comes to opinions.

And you do also realise Alex Gardland was a story supervisor on DmC as well?

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• King_Edward 5 Feb 2013 22:41:41 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    28 Days. I've never seen Sunshine. And yeah, I knew Garland was involved in DmC.

Edited by King_Edward at 22:43:09 05-02-2013
  • khaz 6 Feb 2013 04:12:18 2,705 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    A lazy opinion, yes.

Nothing except that Ninja Theory can't make a hit whether Sony Cambridge helps them, Capcom helps them, or they do it all on their own.
    :D

Oh I suppose I got a bit carried away with the criticisms but I really do like this DmC.

Faenor has a point though, I just wonder if NT are aware that their previous efforts at games and their own approach at marketing the game's new look and not the combat system might have something to do with the poor sales as well.
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 09:26:43 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bought it for the PC yesterday and its brilliant. I feel sorry for you peasant fuckheads playing a 30fps because its pure sex at 60.

There is, however, a lot of tearing on the cutscenes and it took me about 15 minutes to work out why the fucking thing immediately crashed to desktop as soon as I launched it. PCSLOL.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Progguitarist 6 Feb 2013 11:13:06 10,400 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had the same problem. Turned out it was my controller that was causing the crashes.
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 11:16:16 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, same with mine. The motionjoy drivers for the PS3 pad were causing it to crash. Set them to emulate a 360 pad and it was fine.

Pain in the arse..

He totally called it

• JinTypeNoir 6 Feb 2013 11:35:33 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    Enslaved was god awful. A lip syncing tech demo written by some two bit prick film tart, who wrote a script for a something even a genius like Danny Boyle couldn't turn into anything better than a half decent flick.
    Are you refering to 28 Days Later or Sunshine? I think calling Alex Garland a two bit prick film tart in the same breath as calling Danny "overrated wankathon peddler" Boyle a genius is pretty fucking laughable when it comes to opinions.

Well either they ignored all his supervising, or its possible, just possible that talented people don't always turn out good work; this game has one of the worst storylines, most awful dialogue, the most in-your-face example of trying-to-hard-to-be-edgy idiocy I've seen this entire generation. It's not even self-aware enough to be as funny as the earlier games either.

I don't care if it was Danny Boyle or Alex Garland or some storytelling Messiah who shits Schindler's Lists and Shawshank Redemptions out of his ass and from whose loins sprung Al Pacino and Meryl Streep fully formed. The end result was a big stinking of pile of vile.

I don't think, however, that is the case. I think those are just names they buy for marketing. This smells way too much like a follow up to Enslaved in the story department. At LEAST Enslaved was somewhat dignified, even if it brought about things like Andy Serkis's "We used to have schools!" line and the complete pointlessness of any of the references to Journey to the West. Ninja Theory keep going down hill in the story department. What was that game with the girl named Nariko? That was quirky, unique and somewhat worked. It was okay. Enslaved was not, but at least it wasn't too terribly offensive in how bad it was. This is just bottom of the barrel.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 11:39:48 06-02-2013
  • kinky_mong 6 Feb 2013 11:39:19 9,946 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:

Well either they ignored all his supervising, or its possible, just possible that talented people don't always turn out good work; this game has one of the worst storylines, most awful dialogue, the most in-your-face example of trying-to-hard-to-be-edgy idiocy I've seen this entire generation. It's not even self-aware enough to be as funny as the earlier games either.

I don't care if it was Danny Boyle or Alex Garland or some storytelling Messiah who shits Schindler's Lists and Shawshank Redemptions out of his ass and from whose loins sprung Al Pacino and Meryl Streep fully formed. The end result was a big stinking of pile of vile.
    You're a big JRPG fan aren't you?

• nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 11:40:15 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You dont like it because westerners wrote it, you racist.

He totally called it

• JinTypeNoir 6 Feb 2013 11:43:59 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, that's cute. Use that as if its an objective marker of someone's ability to judge storylines.

And for the record, I'm a fan of RPGs. You see where the R is? J, W, C, A, S, doesn't matter what you add on top of it.

As for the JRPG comment, if this game had anywhere near the storytelling genius of something like Vagrant Story, Moon or Shin Megami Tensei III, I wouldn't have to criticize it so much. Stop using black and white methods to determine whether a game's story is any good or not, and you too, like me, may one day be able to recognize whether a game's story is good or not.
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 11:55:11 58,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont really see the story as any worse than most things that come out of japan and certainly no worse than DMC 4.

Not having to hear 'KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE! KYRIE!' at every cut scene is a blessed relief.

Edited by nickthegun at 11:55:43 06-02-2013

He totally called it

• Aretak 6 Feb 2013 11:59:27 10,345 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    B-but, didn't you see Dante dancing and holding a rose with his teeth?

That was, like, so random and self-aware and totes amazeballs!

*holds up spork*
  • kinky_mong 6 Feb 2013 12:02:34 9,946 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    Oh, that's cute. Use that as if its an objective marker of someone's ability to judge storylines.

And for the record, I'm a fan of RPGs. You see where the R is? J, W, C, A, S, doesn't matter what you add on top of it.

As for the JRPG comment, if this game had anywhere near the storytelling genius of something like Vagrant Story, Moon or Shin Megami Tensei III, I wouldn't have to criticize it so much. Stop using black and white methods to determine whether a game's story is any good or not, and you too, like me, may one day be able to recognize whether a game's story is good or not.
    TL;DR

• JinTypeNoir 6 Feb 2013 12:06:53 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not like Devil May Cry 4 was some sort of super nova of great storytelling, definitely not, but it is much worse than that.

The tone is scatter shot, one moment it wants to be a little weepy, the next I guess we needed a badass line, the next we're getting exposition and expected to grow to feel a character more in lines delivered like they're giving stomach medicine advice. Whereas 4 knew what it was going for in every moment. When it was silly, which was most of the time, it was 100% silly. When it wanted to be more dramatic it stuck to that.

The whole media and societal "criticism" comes off about as insightful as a hallmark card greeting and trying to give the plot levity with the cliched badass villain dialogue from every third rate crime movie doesn't do it any favors, nor does some of the absolutely despicably manipulative and tacky ways they try to make you hate the bad guys. 4 just stuck with crazy all day, all the time and didn't try to aspire to something it wasn't.

Last of all, the camera direction feels like it went backward to the days of the N64 and PSX when it was a lot more amateur than it usually is these days. The one truly good thing about the story scenes (beside the humor) in 4 were the great camera direction in the fighting scenes and scenes that led back into the action.

Like I said, if they wanted to go in this direction, the guys who made Painkiller seem like a much better choice. That was an excellent game with a very well done dark and gritty atmosphere. And it somehow managed to have meaningful overtones without hitting you over the head with them. Imagine that!
  • liamthemaster 6 Feb 2013 12:07:32 1,557 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally got the game what's the recommended starting difficulty ?
  • Page

of 25 First / Last