DmC (Devil May Cry 5) Page 18

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• SuperBas 31 Jan 2013 12:36:41 1,452 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not a DmC fan, I have never played the former games. But this got a decent review, so I wanted to check it out. I tend to like games like this. However, I tried, but I just don't like this game. It's so incredibly childish, it's as if Ninja Theory hired a bunch of socially inept 14 year olds to design a game.

Look at it. The story is stupid (this guy owns the president and Fox News is shit! Look at how little of a fuck Dante gives! Fuck fuck fuck FUUUUCCKKKKK). The graphics are mostly skulls and blood, and wouldn't look out of place between the drawings of a goth-kid's notebook. The music, which is a part of the horrible genre of crap-metal. Everything about this game was made to appeal to idiotic teenage boys, and I'm glad I didn't spend money on this juvenile crap.
  • FuzzyDuck 31 Jan 2013 12:53:57 4,003 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Expecting a decent story from an action-based game is like expecting Arnold Swartzenegger's output to have the depth of Uylsses.

If you had played any of the previous games, you'd realise they feature gothic-inspired architecture. It's about the son of a demon who is part-demon himself and a demon slayer; sunshine and lollipops wouldn't really fit the tone (well, maybe if it was a Suda51 game), so blood and skulls are par for the course. The older games' story and setting were used as a vehicle to frame the mechanics (which is why most people play these games).

As for the soundtrack, it fits the tone of the game. Within the wider spectrum of metal, the band who did it aren't particularly interesting, but to call the entire genre 'crap' because you don't like it is disingenuous. I don't like hip-hop, but acknowledge there's still plenty of good within the genre. There's poor jazz, electronic, classical, pop, etc., but there's also great stuff. Metal is no different.

But as with any choice in entertainment, each to their own.

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 12:56:44 31-01-2013
  • Humperfunk 31 Jan 2013 12:56:46 2,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Combichrist song ("No Surrender") that opens up the game when you get control of Dante is one of the best pieces of music I can remember in gaming in terms of setting out exactly what kind of atmosphere and attitude the game is going to give you, fucking phenomenal stuff.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• King_Edward 31 Jan 2013 12:59:32 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    While I agree that the story is shit, the cut-scene direction is miles above par. So even though they're saying the same stupid things, it's infinitely more watchable than the old games.
  • SomaticSense 31 Jan 2013 13:02:18 8,129 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Classic DMC wasn't exactly high brow though, was it. I thought the was much better than the norm for this genre, with cutscenes I actually wanted to watch. It was a definite improvement over what came before.

But I agree with the music. It's awful. There's not even any variety. No escape from the painful screaming metal or the godawful dubstep.
  • Humperfunk 31 Jan 2013 13:04:24 2,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    But I agree with the music. It's awful. There's not even any variety. No escape from the painful screaming metal or the godawful dubstep.
    No variety at all, as dubstep and painful screaming metal are the same!

Nah I'm just bustin' your chops

• SomaticSense 31 Jan 2013 13:05:14 8,129 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    The Combichrist song ("No Surrender") that opens up the game when you get control of Dante is one of the best pieces of music I can remember in gaming in terms of setting out exactly what kind of atmosphere and attitude the game is going to give you, fucking phenomenal stuff.
    There are plenty of ways of setting the same kind of atmosphere and invoking energy than a childish headache-inducing mix of screams.
  • Humperfunk 31 Jan 2013 13:07:12 2,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's a good song! C'mooon!

• SomaticSense 31 Jan 2013 13:08:47 8,129 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    No variety at all, as dubstep and painful screaming metal are the same!

Nah I'm just bustin' your chops
    They are different. I know that. But there is nothing else beyond that except that one nightclub.

I hate sloppy music direction like that. "We need an energetic soundtrack. Let's just have metal and dubstep!"

Edited by SomaticSense at 13:09:07 31-01-2013
  • FuzzyDuck 31 Jan 2013 13:34:28 4,003 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Humperfunk wrote:
    There are plenty of ways of setting the same kind of atmosphere and invoking energy than a childish headache-inducing mix of screams.
    There are indeed plenty of ways, 'subtle as a brick' being one of them and the one chosen here.

'Combichrist' lands itself in the pantheon of ever incresingly shit metal band names! :D
  • Humperfunk 31 Jan 2013 13:36:38 2,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's a good song though, come on chaps!

• Humperfunk 31 Jan 2013 13:37:05 2,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't listen to metal, but appreciate the song within the game if that makes sense. Come on chaps! Chaps?

• FuzzyDuck 31 Jan 2013 13:37:54 4,003 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It fits the tone of the game perfectly but as a metal 'song' it's pretty shit!
  • Humperfunk 31 Jan 2013 13:38:51 2,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A high five to FuzzyDuck!

• FuzzyDuck 31 Jan 2013 13:38:53 4,003 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    I don't listen to metal, but appreciate the song within the game if that makes sense. Come on chaps! Chaps?
    Ah, I listen to a lot of metal and find it distinctly pedestrian!

Edit - but yes, fits the tone and sets up what to expect perfectly! :D

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 13:40:42 31-01-2013
  • kinky_mong 31 Jan 2013 13:55:35 10,105 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's nothing on the Dragon's Dogma theme music, perfect fit to the game!

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• King_Edward 31 Jan 2013 14:20:02 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or Blue Dragon's boss music. Perfect fit.
  • kinky_mong 31 Jan 2013 14:47:14 10,105 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hahaha, funnily enough I have that exact song in my head whenever I try and recall the Dragon's Dogma theme from memory!

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Deckard1 2 Feb 2013 11:35:30 27,594 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it best to start this on hard then?

Hush you ponce

• Aretak 2 Feb 2013 12:13:58 10,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Is it best to start this on hard then?
    I started on Nephilim and haven't had any problems really, and I'm shit at this type of game.
  • daddygerplex 2 Feb 2013 12:43:21 305 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just completed it an hour ago on Nephilim. There are some tricky parts near the end that i died once or twice on, but i wouldnt say its hard.

Its much easier then Bayonetta on normal.

Son of Sparda difficulty is a big step up. The first level throws stuff at you that you get at the end of the game at you.
  • FuzzyDuck 2 Feb 2013 12:48:49 4,003 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Playing through on Nephelim feels like a training run for the 'proper' game on the unlocked difficulties.

Currently playing through the original game (via the HD collection); took a while to resharpen my old school skills! At about mission 10 or so and have to say that the boss fights ain't as bad as i remember them...
  • Deckard1 2 Feb 2013 21:45:31 27,594 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Loving this so far, great fight engine. On the third or fourth level now though and the environments are starting to feel a bit samey, does it mix it up a bit? Is the whole game based in limbo?

Hush you ponce

• StarchildHypocrethes 2 Feb 2013 21:54:20 25,518 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, some of the level design later in is great. It's all pretty much in limbo, but it shakes things up a bit.
  • King_Edward 2 Feb 2013 21:56:30 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Visually, it's extremely varied.
  • King_Edward 2 Feb 2013 21:59:25 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Playing through on Nephelim feels like a training run for the 'proper' game on the unlocked difficulties.

Currently playing through the original game (via the HD collection); took a while to resharpen my old school skills! At about mission 10 or so and have to say that the boss fights ain't as bad as i remember them...
    Griffin in the Coliseum is still awful. Phantom is one of my favourite bosses ever.
  • Deckard1 2 Feb 2013 22:00:03 27,594 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Excellent. Fucking loving it so far - new Dante is much better than old sex fetish Dante. Plus he's so dreamy.

Hush you ponce

• Deckard1 2 Feb 2013 22:20:21 27,594 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also I'm not sure if this is because I'm kind of pissed, but the left trigger right trigger different combos pull this pull into that x y b dash bong wizz is kind of spazzing my brain at the minute and I'm kind of bumbling through the game like a downs syndrome that's ate one too many Pritt Sticks. Does it click eventually or does it always feel a little uncumbersome. If that's even a word.

Hush you ponce

• Deleted user 2 February 2013 22:22:29
    @Deckard1 clicks eventually. Later on there are some ghastly fucks who can only be taken down by certain weapons but by that stage you'll be used to swapping about with them.
  • Deckard1 2 Feb 2013 22:43:36 27,594 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A nice picture of a confused Michael j Fox attacking downtown Tokyo would have went well with that comment WO

Hush you ponce

• Page

of 25 First / Last