DmC (Devil May Cry 5) Page 7

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• MatMan562 20 Nov 2012 23:48:00 2,605 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I just played this and really enjoyed it. Only briefly played DMC4 before so can't comment on how it's changed for the better/ worse but I really love the "Angel", "Demon" aspect of it and how they're both assigned to a seperate trigger. At first it was a little complicated but after just a few minutes I was stringing some pretty cool combos together and making myself feel awesome. The main thing that struck me as being good was the art style, I really love it!

Originally I was going to wait for some reviews and user impressions before getting this but i'm very tempted to pre-order it now!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Layup 21 Nov 2012 00:02:08 25 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    Yeah I just played this and really enjoyed it. Only briefly played DMC4 before so can't comment on how it's changed for the better/ worse but I really love the "Angel", "Demon" aspect of it and how they're both assigned to a seperate trigger. At first it was a little complicated but after just a few minutes I was stringing some pretty cool combos together and making myself feel awesome. The main thing that struck me as being good was the art style, I really love it!

Originally I was going to wait for some reviews and user impressions before getting this but i'm very tempted to pre-order it now!
    Good to hear. The mechanics in DMC 3 where amazing. It took real skill to play it well and the combo system reminded me of Tony Hawk! Always looking for that next thing to keep the combo going...
  • Deleted user 21 November 2012 00:10:24
    Had a quick dabble with this earlier. Fairly impressed, the new weapons and the controls are well done. Lots of combo potential I'd wager.
  • Tuffty 21 Nov 2012 08:50:48 1,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everything would seem to suggest it would be a very compotent action game, the art in particular is pretty cool, though I still don't agree with the character reboot. This new Dante seems like a prick. Not really digging the dialogue either

Fuck you!
    Fuck you!!
    FUCK YOUUUUUU!
    Edited by Tuffty at 08:51:31 21-11-2012
  • SomaticSense 21 Nov 2012 19:02:59 9,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really am well impressed with it. More so the more I play it.

The combat has tons of depth, whereas everyone was slating NT for assuming they'd only dumb it down. In fact, it feels more complicated and in-depth than I remember DMC3 being, although it has been a few years and many playthroughs of Bayonetta and NG since so my recollection may be a hazy on that (the DMC HD collection is looking mighty tempting though...). It's still unmistakably DMC in it's gameplay yet has had a lot of freshness added to it as well which brings it bang up to date.

But on the whole regardless of the franchise it belongs to, it just feels amazing to play and gives massive freedom with regards to combos and showing off your style.

I was a huge Bayonetta convert, and DMC4 felt so poor in relation to both that and DMC3. But this is DMC bang on form again, although there's no way I'll compare it to DMC3 yet until I've played the full game. What it does seem to be on the basis of the demo, is a DMC game with a typically great combat system, but with the adrenaline ratcheted right up in what were before the 'walk down quiet castle corridor' sections. Ie, a current gen DMC game at last!
  • King_Edward 21 Nov 2012 19:34:26 11,471 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked the quiet castle corridors. :)

I'm downloading the demo now, if I like it then you know it's good.
  • Gearskin 21 Nov 2012 19:37:14 2,089 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Honestly, if there are Devil May Cry fans out there who scoff at what Ninja Theory is doing here, after playing the demo... Well they can fuck off.

If the demo is any indication then this game WILL be awesome.

It's got everything. Quality graphics and sound, eye bending visual style/effects and, most important of all, a completely killer combat system.

The Angel/Demon weapons being tied to the triggers affords a great deal of combo potential and playing through the "Under Watch" mission on the various difficulties... Well there's just a ton of depth here with regard to the combat.

Sold. Big time.

EDIT - Have you guys found all the items yet/managed to achieve a SSS rating on the Son of Sparda difficulty? Also... Where is the shop? The demo tracks your Upgrade points and tells you to visit a shop to spend them. But it doesn't tell you where, and the demo press release hints are there being some "secrets" in here. I'm assuming the shop is hidden away somewhere?

Edited by Gearskin at 19:39:26 21-11-2012
  • jack24 21 Nov 2012 19:45:16 284 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Go to neogaf for many examples of the non converted. Baring in mind these people seem to hold 4 in high regard aswell.

It is ace though, the first DMC was my favourite game ever when I was like ten and whilst I thought this looked good I didn't expect it to blow me away, but somehow it is right up there in my most wanted. My only hope now is that it is a solid ten hour game on first playthrough!
  • SomaticSense 21 Nov 2012 19:45:58 9,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've found the Challenge Room you can access by finding all the keys, but no shop.
  • King_Edward 21 Nov 2012 19:49:48 11,471 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jack24 wrote:
    Go to neogaf for many examples of the non converted. Baring in mind these people seem to hold 4 in high regard aswell.
    That's because 4 was an excellent game, with a great combat system put to excellent use on excellently designed enemies, in some excellently designed areas.
  • King_Edward 21 Nov 2012 19:55:08 11,471 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Honestly, if there are Devil May Cry fans out there who scoff at what Ninja Theory is doing here, after playing the demo... Well they can fuck off.

If the demo is any indication then this game WILL be awesome.
    I seem to remember you bigging up Dante's Inferno too. If I don't like it, I'm going to not like it extremely vocally.
  • Gearskin 21 Nov 2012 19:55:50 2,089 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved DMC4. Nero was cool but when Dante got in on things the action REALLY opened up. Only thing I didn't like was the way the levels basically repeated... and the story. The story was arse.

Hell, DMC has never had a particularly well told story. That's one area that I always expected Ninja Theory to nail. My concern, when it was announced they would be handling this reboot, was that the action wouldn't be up to snuff. They've proven their ability to do story but gameplay... well that was lacking a bit. Not here though. Here they've nailed it!

Just found a second challenge room, to the left of the boss area. Need a copper key to open it. Inside there is an air juggle challenge.

Still can't find the shop though. It must be in here somewhere. The demo is telling me to go to a shop... It wouldn't lie... Would it?
  • SomaticSense 21 Nov 2012 19:58:52 9,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    jack24 wrote:
    That's because 4 was an excellent game, with a great combat system put to excellent use on excellently designed enemies, in some excellently designed areas.
    It wasn't remotely a bad game, but it still felt like a regression of DMC3 and got utterly spanked by the then genre rival of the time, Bayonetta. Hence why Capcom felt they needed to do something drastic with the franchise, whether it was really needed or not. This feels much closer to the classic DMC feel than DMC4 did, while at the same time adding the current gen bells and whistles that made Bayonetta feel so fresh. This feels closer to where the franchise should have gone with DMC4.

Anyway. Just play the demo and form your own opinion.

Edited by SomaticSense at 20:00:39 21-11-2012
  • SomaticSense 21 Nov 2012 20:04:14 9,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:Still can't find the shop though. It must be in here somewhere. The demo is telling me to go to a shop... It wouldn't lie... Would it?
    Are they just the usual rote 'tutorial' messages usually left in a lot of demos? Or does it say something specific in-game?

All I remember is going to the menus to find an Upgrade option, not finding anything, and then not giving it much thought other than it being a demo. If it's made obvious though, then perhaps we're missing something. After all, your status seems to save everytime you play it so maybe there's a point to that...
  • Gearskin 21 Nov 2012 20:10:07 2,089 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In the Move List it says to visit a shop to buy more, and it's remembering all the upgrade points you earn from repeatedly playing the demo levels.

I've 100% the boss level by clearing the challenge door but there are two lost souls remaining on the Under Watch level, and one secret door. The first secret door was an S Rank Challenge. The other one... I can't find.

At the moment, I think it might be the clown face wall. Just after the first camera is destroyed and the brief cutscene shows the floor ripped up, you go right down some stairs. Turn right at the bottom and you can grab a health star, then the wall comes flying at your face.

I think it has a copper lock on it that needs to be smashed.
  • King_Edward 21 Nov 2012 20:11:47 11,471 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm literally rocking with anticipation waiting for the demo to download.
  • jack24 21 Nov 2012 20:12:32 284 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    jack24 wrote:
    It just bored me to tears, don't know what to tell you. I wasn't excited by the levels enough the first time to even get to Dante's sections which were just the same environments weren't they? It wasn't a fucking patch on 1 or 3 IMO.
  • SomaticSense 21 Nov 2012 20:13:52 9,159 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had the Copper Key before that weird clown wall, but I've still not managed to figure out how to get past it. The instinctive DMC way to open it is to try attacking the crap out of it, but to no avail so far.

Intriguing...
  • King_Edward 21 Nov 2012 20:19:59 11,471 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jack24 wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    jack24 wrote:
    It just bored me to tears, don't know what to tell you. I wasn't excited by the levels enough the first time to even get to Dante's sections which were just the same environments weren't they? It wasn't a fucking patch on 1 or 3 IMO.
    They were, backwards, and they didn't even bother flipping the camera around so you could see where you were going.

Everything else was brilliant though.

Edited by King_Edward at 20:20:46 21-11-2012
  • MatMan562 21 Nov 2012 20:21:43 2,605 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My plan was to play this and then go back and get the HD collection of 1-3 and 4. Is this a good idea or would I be better off leaving this one 'til last?

Also, I love that such a small demo seems to hold so many secrets!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Gearskin 21 Nov 2012 20:24:59 2,089 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    I had the Copper Key before that weird clown wall, but I've still not managed to figure out how to get past it. The instinctive DMC way to open it is to try attacking the crap out of it, but to no avail so far.

Intriguing...
    Same. Not happening.

BUT! I did just find the second door. In the second main arena where you have to destroy two cameras, if you head down the right path. Destroy the camera and then look ahead. There's a big door. You need to double jump, air dash and then grapple to it. Inside is a Traversal Challenge in a cool new environment.
  • jack24 21 Nov 2012 20:27:32 284 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really? :/

Was it basically all fixed camera angles or did it ever let you move it a bit like in 3? If not then that is some lazy game design right there.

New one has a nice fully formed player controlled camera and I highly doubt there will be any re use of environments so that has to be a notch or two over 4 already. I'm not one for getting all anal about the combat system's depth and what effect 30fps has. If it feels good then they've done their job as far as I'm concerned, and it certainly feels pretty good.
  • Gearskin 21 Nov 2012 20:32:41 2,089 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, I've been playing this thing for hours and now both levels are 100%. If there's a shop, and it's not behind that clown door, then I don't know where it could be. But getting through that clown door?... God knows.

If you find out, post here :)
  • King_Edward 21 Nov 2012 20:35:53 11,471 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    jack24 wrote:
    Really? :/

Was it basically all fixed camera angles or did it ever let you move it a bit like in 3? If not then that is some lazy game design right there.

New one has a nice fully formed player controlled camera and I highly doubt there will be any re use of environments so that has to be a notch or two over 4 already. I'm not one for getting all anal about the combat system's depth and what effect 30fps has. If it feels good then they've done their job as far as I'm concerned, and it certainly feels pretty good.
    DMC4 re-used environments presumably because they ran out of time in development, but DMC1 and to some extent 3 used them to create a sense of place and a claustrophobic atmosphere. I don't consider pushing you through linear environment a de facto positive.

Also, a well placed fixed camera gives the bonus of not getting lost in hectic fights.

Edited by King_Edward at 20:37:49 21-11-2012
  • King_Edward 21 Nov 2012 21:52:57 11,471 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Okay. I think this is going to be one of those Digital Foundry comment clusterfucks. It's very choppy on ps3, and at times ugly too. As a result it feels pretty unresponsive, dodge canceling in particular is really quite random.

It's fun though. Linking ranged, quick and heavy attacks works as well as it did in Heavenly Sword, but with added aerial combo's (thanks, jump button) and so many ways to close gaps between enemies quickly, meaning I don't have to Million Stab around the screen like I used to, the fights feel pretty hectic (although if you stop and look around, enemies are are pretty static).

Seems to be plenty of hidden doors, items and stuff too. I found two bronze doors, a silver (looking) door I couldn't open, and a clown door I couldn't figure out.

The boss fight is fucking abysmal though. Same fight 3 times dodging the same 2 or 3 attacks.

All in all, colour me impressed and surprised, if not blown over. I really hope the performance is cleaned up before release though.

Edited by King_Edward at 21:54:33 21-11-2012
  • King_Edward 21 Nov 2012 21:52:57 11,471 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think these thoughts so much I think them twice. :)

Edited by King_Edward at 21:53:58 21-11-2012
  • Progguitarist 21 Nov 2012 22:54:14 10,537 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Excellent demo. Will definitely buy this now.
  • Deleted user 21 November 2012 22:54:25
    Yeah I enjoyed the demo but I hope its in better shape than what enslaved was like on the PS3. I enjoyed the boss fight for the first health bar but it got a little repetitive after that. Liked the quick switches between the weapons but found the lack of R1 to lock on a bit strange. R1 up up triangle is ingrained into my memory for the stinger attack.

And I also found the dodge a little un-responsive but I liked quite a lot about it as well.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
  • King_Edward 22 Nov 2012 09:30:29 11,471 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's a big (positive) difference between Nephalim and DMD mode. It's not considerably more difficult, but enemies are far more interesting. The only downside is the colour coded enemies that force you to use either exclusive red or blue attacks, as they put a dampener on your combo building, and are a bit grindy. Also the unresponsive dodge becomes a bigger issue.

100% both levels now, and fuck it I like it. Throw a few light weight puzzles in and I could enjoy it for 8 hours or so.

Edited by King_Edward at 09:30:58 22-11-2012
  • Page

of 25 First / Last