DmC (Devil May Cry 5) Page 5

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• Freek 7 Jun 2011 21:27:04 7,687 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    I'm joking. I really dislike Ninja Theory as developers, and consider their focus on "cinematic storytelling" in videogames to be completely counter-intuitive and ultimately creatively bankrupt.

Not to mention that the "gameplay" in their games is always at the service of the storytelling, and not the other way around.

Yup, the new trailer doesn't look too convincing either.
    Platinum has done a better Next Gen DMC in Bayonetta anyway. Going bigger, more stylish and fast paced.
    It's the sort of genre that Japan is still really good at and diden't need to be spun off to a western developer.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2011 19:47:45
    Gamplay Debut

Gameplay wise, it looks to be on the money! Im still struggling with the character design though, and the locations dont look very inspired at all.
  • King_Edward 16 Aug 2011 19:54:20 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It looks even worse than I'd hoped. Can't wait to hate this.
  • uiruki 16 Aug 2011 19:54:21 3,527 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's with the massive pauses in the animation between each attack? Every NT game so far has had that, completely ruins the flow.
  • Tuffty 16 Aug 2011 22:51:05 1,389 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That move where Dante spins downwards whilst shooting the guns is even slowed down. Look at it, its like he's drowning in invisible quicksand.

They've alsoredone Dante's backstory so he's now half-demon, half-angel. Come on guys. What are you thinking by doing this? :(
  • ecureuil 18 Aug 2011 13:05:17 76,002 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New Dante look is terrible. It's completely off-putting.
  • King_Edward 18 Aug 2011 13:27:45 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Minkley's lies are up on the front page now, if anyone's interested.
  • nickthegun 18 Aug 2011 13:31:34 55,848 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They see him rollin at 30fps, they be hatin'

But, srsly, DMC did need a kick up it's arse and I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until I saw the demo footage.

Regardless of the design decisions, I will be very surprised if they can keep it locked to 30fps. I am also very sceptical of the combat system. The one in the demo doesn't look up to much and the one in heavenly sword was awful.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 18 August 2011 13:36:29
    Final death knoll for the franchise IMo
  • Deleted user 18 August 2011 13:36:59
    Final death knoll for the franchise IMo
  • nickthegun 18 Aug 2011 13:49:35 55,848 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's like they don't even understand their target audience.

'we will make up for the lack of 60fps in this continuation of a series famed for it's high speed action and fluidity with it's story'

Yeah, that's what DMC fans want.

He totally called it

• ecureuil 18 Aug 2011 13:51:15 76,002 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    60fps is a must in this genre, even at the expense of graphics.
  • nickthegun 18 Aug 2011 13:51:26 55,848 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having said that, the new dudes making ninja Gaiden 3 have said similar things, so what the hell do I know?

He totally called it

• Feanor 18 Aug 2011 15:33:25 13,921 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Minkley's lies are up on the front page now, if anyone's interested.

It's a thoroughly vile piece of toadyism.
  • JinTypeNoir 18 Aug 2011 17:56:45 4,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You know, I like to think I'm pretty open-minded as far as games go. I play every Final Fantasy that comes up and while I don't like some, I'm always willing to try the next one. I liked Legend of Mana, Heroes of Mana, Children of Mana, Sword of Mana and Dawn of Mana, which each seemed to get bashed for not being more Secret of Mana, primarily. I thought Ultima VIII: Pagan was a really interesting experiment that while I didn't like as much as V, VI and VII, thought was a worthy attempt. Even though I didn't like either of the originals, I tried the Dragon Age and Witcher sequels. Even though I've never gotten into an MMO or a 4X game, I've tried out ones that look interesting.

I don't usually balk when franchises change hands for developers. I like the portable Castlevanias better, but I thought Lords of Shadow was cool enough. Dead Rising 2 was arguably better than the first game. I thought Fallout 3 and New Vegas may have changed quite a bit from what they were, but were very strong games in any event.

I am all for keeping an open mind and trying stuff and usually have nothing but harsh words for people who, with very little information attack changes in a game series.

But there's an certain extent to where things can just rub you the wrong way. Case in point, Bomberman: Act Zero, turning bright and cheery Bomberman into grimdark first-person stuff. I mean, it was just unappealing as a concept, no matter who the developer. I'm pretty sure people would violently object if the next Yoshi's Island was made by UBISoft and turned out to be a sequel to their hideous 3DS dinosaur game.

I don't carry the belief that if an action game is 30 fps its fundamentally doomed, I think a lot of the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors never carry 30 consistently and are quite fun.

Changing a character and setting drastically CAN BE refreshing and creatively invigorating.

Even I hated Ninja Theory (I thought Heavenly Sword was nice, Enslaved was dismal), developers considered "bad" have been able to turn a new leaf before. Consider Wayforward or the people who made the first Prince of Persia reboot back in the PS2 days.

I don't have any objection to trying to make DMC more serious and story-oriented, or keep it the same. I'm ambivalent, whatever works.

Considering all that, right now, at this point in time, I think this game looks like tosh. The edginess they seem to be going for the new Dante seems like the type of edginess every 3rd rate TV show with a hack writer aims for. The old design, the new design, I don't care, it doesn't really stand out as a character design, it blends in with the trends of this generation. And you do not typically achieve greatness by blending in with the crowd. If they are aiming for an unlikable character at the fore, they're doing a great job, and I'm not against antiheroes, but there is a way to do it in a way that the story still seems compelling. This doesn't seem like it.

It's especially worrying because Enslaved seems just like Uncharted, yes the acting and animation are quite nice. But the content of the story is hackneyed, uninspired and boring. At least Uncharted stays consistent in its worldview, but Enslaved really goes into crazy land with this insane reliance developers East or West have these days of using plot twists to try to pummel gamers into thinking their game's story awe-inspiring. They don't seem to understand the twist as something to use sparingly and think deep and hard about before you do it. They don't seem to get the fundamentals of a character-led story before they have their characters get embroiled in this crazy shit they think up.

30 FPS doesn't seem like a death knell, but I'll certainly argue with anyone who puts graphic realism before gameplay smoothness. I bet you can achieve morphing environments with 60 FPS too, but that would require a little less flashiness in the graphics. Even though I enjoyed Heavenly Sword, I thought it and Enslaved really suffered from putting their priorities in the wrong place.

The movies show attacks that don't look like they smoothly link into each other, reactions that look quite awkward and nothing really looks like it builds on previous DMC games or adds anything significantly fresh to the combat. 3 had the styles and 4's devil trigger provided a welcome new slant and contrast. Perhaps the final game will be fine and something noteworthy will be there, but when I hear the developer respond in a preview that the air juggling is what distinguishes from the past games, I'm like, "Did you really play the past games?" I mean seriously, they all had that as a main emphasis.

It doesn't help that whenever the developers open their mouths, they sound pompous and full of themselves. I don't have confidence in Capcom entirely, because although yes, they made 1,3,4, they also made 2. They're not infallible. Especially because around the time this game was unveiled they made all sorts of comments that implied they didn't really understand why Western games have become so successful on consoles and had really only considered the surface elements.
  • senso-ji 18 Aug 2011 18:23:27 5,277 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    60fps is a must in this genre, even at the expense of graphics.

Didn't work for Dante's Inferno.
  • King_Edward 18 Aug 2011 19:38:46 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Apparently Alex Garland is invoolved with the writting again.

"Like Enslaved before it, too, author Alex Garland is once again performing "story consultant" duties, so there's someone who (theoretically) knows what they're doing steering the narrative in a coherent direction."
    Which is great news for me, as it gives me something else to complain about. :)
  • Rauha 18 Aug 2011 19:42:28 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Apparently Alex Garland is invoolved with the writting again.

"Like Enslaved before it, too, author Alex Garland is once again performing "story consultant" duties, so there's someone who (theoretically) knows what they're doing steering the narrative in a coherent direction."

Which is great news for me, as it gives me something else to complain about. :)

The last thing DMC needed was someone to give it a "proper" story. Still optimistic about this though, might not be too shit.

Enslaved was decent.
  • bionic 18 Aug 2011 20:45:46 86 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I bet there’s a ton of cut scenes, long boring cut scenes, followed by equally long bouts of tedious button mashing resulting in sore thumbs and disillutionment.
  • Deleted user 24 August 2011 23:05:22
    Creative Direction Interview

Some interesting concepts, the idea of interchangeable/manipulative worlds sounds pretty fresh.

Quite worrying that the developer failed to pronounce the name Dante correctly at one point. And that haircut is all sorts of wrong.
  • King_Edward 25 Aug 2011 07:48:02 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:

Creative Direction Interview

Some interesting concepts, the idea of interchangeable/manipulative worlds sounds pretty fresh.

It also sounds like something you can't kill with your sword, and is therefore something DMC should stay away from.
  • Deleted user 16 September 2011 17:35:21
    TGS Stage Demo Part 1

TGS Stage Demo Part 2

Im trying to remain hopeful, the combat atleast looks nice and rhythmic.
  • President_Weasel 16 Sep 2011 17:40:56 8,604 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Enslaved was Dumby McDumberson's particularly stupid idiot cousin. There's no need to set the story of Monkey and the Jourmey to the West in any other setting than its setting, nor bother with convoluted explanations for what just worked with magic in the thousand year old stories.

A wizard did it, you bloody idiots. Alex Garland, my arse.
  • Gearskin 16 Sep 2011 18:43:54 2,037 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    TGS Stage Demo Part 1

TGS Stage Demo Part 2

Im trying to remain hopeful, the combat atleast looks nice and rhythmic.

Looks great! Rooting for this to be good. Ninja Theory's a good developer.
  • King_Edward 16 Sep 2011 19:01:50 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    *Grumble*Looks like shit, hope it fails*Grumble*
  • senso-ji 16 Sep 2011 19:09:04 5,277 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't like Ninja Theory's previous games but I'm willing to give this a try. As a prequel game, it probably won't beat DMC3 but i'm hoping that Capcom have influenced NT enough so that there's more to this game than fancy facial animations and air combos.
  • Deleted user 2 November 2011 19:56:00
    New Trailer

Dare i say it, im beginning to warm to it. Character model aside, its looking most decent!
  • King_Edward 2 Nov 2011 20:19:30 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It looks fucking awful. Emo noncy wankfest.
  • khaz 3 Nov 2011 14:02:01 2,572 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    Four pages on the new Dante?

The game is being made by Ninja Theory. Therefore, it'll be shit. Move on please.
    My point still stands.

I've seen nothing to suggest Ninja Theory are going to change their story first, graphics second, voice acting third and gameplay a distant 35978937549735th approach anytime soon.

Incoming QTEs, handholding, rubbish combat...the list goes on. I really wanted to like Enslaved, I really did but its just such a freaking joke to "play".
  • King_Edward 3 Nov 2011 14:36:14 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pretty sure lip-syncing is their ultimate priority. Bunch of wankers.
  • Page

of 25 First / Last