Disgaea 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • MysteryLamb 2 Sep 2010 14:43:21 525 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ...is apparently to be shown at the forthcoming Tokyo show.

Souhei Niikawa, President of NIS, added that the next Disgaea will "evolve [the series] to a new level" which will "surprise everybody."

So that has to be 3D character models and more contemporary visuals plus a proper online mode or even co-op elements?

My breath is baited (unfortunately with garlic and stale coffee) and my fingers crossed that it will at least equal the majesty of the first three games.
  • Cappy 2 Sep 2010 17:49:52 11,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anybody pinning their hopes on 'contemporary visuals' may be sorely disappointed.

The internet will probably fly into spittle flecked rage when they roll out a reworked version of the Disgaea 3 engine which was adapted from their PS2 development environment in the first place.

Still beats trying to salvage anything from the Last Rebellion train wreck that Hit Maker developed for them.
  • Gartt 2 Sep 2010 17:52:40 1,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some nice hi-res sprites would be a good start.
  • Lateralus2001 5 Sep 2010 21:32:11 6 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A graphical overhaul would be great! But what I really want to see in D4 is more new gameplay elements. Disgaea 3 didn't introduce enough new features IMO, if Disgaea 4 doesn't have a bit of an overhaul I have a feeling I may give it a miss. And I have owned all 3 of the series so far.
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Sep 2010 22:03:35 8,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty much what lateralus said. As great as Disgaea games are they need to do something new. At this moment in time I would much rather have seen a Makai Kingdoms 2.
  • Rauha 16 Sep 2010 09:44:18 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's being listed here: http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/catalog/detail.jsp?JAN_CODE=4995506001865
  • Rauha 16 Sep 2010 22:35:11 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We can confirm ( via our TGS 2010 sources ) that Disgaea 4 is scheduled to release for the PS3 on February 24, 2011 in Japan and a limited edition is also planned for the game. It will cost 8,970 yen and comes with a mini-nendroid figurine, an artbook and the game’s official soundtrack CD.

New features of the game were also revealed, stating that the game will be “huge scale” and will have “network functions”. Expect an official announcement from Sony very soon.

• MysteryLamb 16 Sep 2010 22:54:18 525 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    From Giantbomb:

The story of Disgaea 4 follows the exploits of Valbatose, a vampire of sorts, who is leading a coup d’état in the Netherworld. The developers of Disgaea 4 have stated that the game will be a "huge evolution" in the graphics department, when compared to the previous entries in the Disgaea Franchise.

• Deleted user 16 September 2010 23:02:48
    \o/

Although graphically I only wanted higher res art with a few more frames of animation.
  • Machetazo 17 Sep 2010 10:03:59 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    screenshot? I found that linked in a kotaku comment response. Not sure of it's origin before that, though. It looks really clean, but not over-produced.
  • Cappy 17 Sep 2010 10:10:30 11,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks legit.

The character furthest back in the field of view looks like he might possibly be the new lead character.

It's pretty much the Disgaea 3 engine with better upscaling on the sprites, combined with the sparse environments we're still looking at something that would fit in better on the PS2 or Wii.
  • Machetazo 17 Sep 2010 11:39:59 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now, the pictures move. Gamevideos uploaded the TGS trailer! :D
  • Rauha 17 Sep 2010 12:28:47 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nice!
  • Rauha 17 Sep 2010 12:43:23 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    From the front page:

Disgaea 4 will allow online invasions of friends' worlds. Plus, Nippon Ichi is giving the series a serious makeover.

The fourth game - a PS3 exclusive - was announced at the Tokyo Game Show. Nippon Ichi's president (presumably Souhei Niikawa) unveiled the game wearing wearing a Prinny (penguin) suit, according to Joystiq. His costume, he said, showed "how serious we are" that in Disgaea 4 lies "the fate of our company".

\o/
  • Deleted user 17 September 2010 12:50:27
    Machetazo wrote:

Ace - another HUGE reason to get around to finally buying a PS3
  • Cappy 17 Sep 2010 13:26:41 11,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not really seeing the huge graphical 'update' being reported. The sprites are still clearly not HD.

That's not a bad thing but I wish they'd put some effort into fixing some of the problems of their antiquated engine such as the spacial confusion caused by the forced perspective in more complex scenes and the item worlds where it often looks like something is close when it's actually quite far away and visa versa or scenes with a lot of different levels where it's impossible to see what's going on in some lower areas.

These isometric games work fine as long as you plan and keep the maps fairly simple, start making it more complicated as Disgaea has increasingly done and you need to go for full 3D.
  • King_Edward 17 Sep 2010 13:31:02 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:

Looks very nice. Good to see some nice 2d art.
  • Machetazo 18 Sep 2010 16:05:13 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NIS America announce a "Summer 2011" US release timeframe. The vampire lead in this game, is called Valbatose, and he's joined by Fuka, who is dressed in a prinny outfit. Pictured. Source.
  • StixxUK 18 Sep 2010 16:08:36 7,255 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks mental! As it should be :p
  • Cappy 6 Oct 2010 22:15:50 11,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Face off!

Old versus new. A comparison showing off the new Disgaea sprites.

It occurs to me that Disgaea is one of the last of the old guard last generation console RPG/SRPG series to stick with 2D. Everything else has either been discontinued or has gone 3D.

I'm in neither camp myself, I don't have the strange, irrational dislike of things being rendered in 3D which seems to consume some. 3D brings flexibility in terms of viewpoint for instance. If it works, it works. It doesn't matter how the image was rendered as far as I'm concerned.
  • Jeepers 6 Oct 2010 22:34:04 13,181 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved Disgaea 1. I quite liked Disgaea 2. By Disgaea 3 I was getting tired. Unless they bring some new mechanics in, I think I'll pass on this one.
  • Cappy 29 Oct 2010 12:13:41 11,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Disgaea gets even more um... Hardcore.

Punishment is very much the flavour of the month at NIS.
  • Jeepers 29 Oct 2010 12:17:29 13,181 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Edit. Am half asleep. Ignore me :)
  • Cappy 29 Oct 2010 12:20:12 11,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wait and see? The Japanese version will be out at the end of February, there'll be loads of English language previews online shortly afterwards.
  • HiddenAway 9 Nov 2010 07:01:38 14,894 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Disgaea 4 apparently has an online component

In Disgaea 4, you can collect parts to build a pirate ship. Once your ship is completed, you can have your characters board the ship and send it out onto the great ocean known as the internet where it will apparently meet up with ships from other players.

The text at the blog I'm reading for this info is unclear on how this system works. It may be that you download the ships from other players for battle, or it may be that the battles take place automatically. We'll have to wait for clarification.

You can also send out your characters to other players who can use them in battle.

Nippon Ichi has been pretty quick with getting out online stories and media for Disgaea 4, so we'll hopefully get details later this week.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Cappy 22 Nov 2010 15:41:30 11,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    More new screens over at Magic Box.

This batch seem to show a lot more of the gameplay though it's still not clear how the giant ships play a part in the main story component of the game, they could be more part of the online mode or other side content.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2010 11:04:25
    Cappy wrote:
    More new screens over at Magic Box.

This batch seem to show a lot more of the gameplay though it's still not clear how the giant ships play a part in the main story component of the game, they could be more part of the online mode or other side content.

Is it just me or is that last screen, given the positioning just a tad disturbing?

No previous Disgaea has had a menstruation attack.
  • mingster 9 Dec 2010 14:15:11 3,270 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nippon Ichi Software today (December 9), latest series Disgaea to be released on February 24, 2011, the company's "four Disgaea" in, which will be included in the Limited Edition "Petit Nendoroid [ Fuka Kazamatsuri] "
  • King_Edward 9 Dec 2010 14:42:47 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So 2012 for us?
  • Rauha 9 Dec 2010 14:54:30 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sept 2011 for us, I think.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous