Another laptop thread, sorry

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • malloc 10 Oct 2004 13:14:28 2,353 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Okeydokey, I'm on the look-out for a laptop. I'd like one that'll run some of the latest games. Not necessarily in all their glory but pretty well, such as HL2 and Doom 3 etc.

Also wifi, although that almost seems standard these days. Wouldn't mind running Linux on it aswell and being able to watch DVD's, but again that's fairly universal, init?

The situation is a bit odd. I have a desktop, which is a bit old, 850 Duron etc. OK but I may aswell forget most of the latest games. Someone's offered to get me a laptop, ideally I'd rather just upgrade but that isn't feasible. Nor is a shuttle unfortunately.

BTW I've heard that some have had problems running network games using a laptop, ermmm is this true or someone jerking my chain. I really have no expereince with laptops at all. In a way I wouldn't mind a tablet but they're too expensive of rme to ask for, but can you get touch screen laptops. Ideally I'd like to take it around to my mates and play LAN Starcraft and HL2 etc.

I know about novatech and rock which seem decent starting places but anything to look out for, graphics cards etc that I should know about for laptops would be nice too plz.

Cheers.

Edited by malloc at 12:15:39 10-10-2004
  • malloc 11 Oct 2004 16:40:43 2,353 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /feels lonely

Taken a look at some Alienware laptops and well they're a bit expensive and I'm not sure I'm sold on the design.
  • Foregone-Reality 11 Oct 2004 16:43:50 2,218 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People may hate me for this but I find Dell's laptops to be quite good in terms of value/performance.

I love my Inspiron 1100; and although it has Intel graphics it still runs Halo for me :)
  • Tiger_Walts 11 Oct 2004 16:51:56 16,595 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A word of warning about video drivers for mobile specific video cards. I have a Radeon Mobility 9600 (M10) in my laptop but some games lock the machine up. I cannot update the drivers with the catalyst ones as I need specific ones from my laptop manufacturer.

Doom 3 runs though and looks lubberly, pity about the crap gameplay.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Dropkick 11 Oct 2004 16:57:02 34 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    try www.rockdirect.com got Quaddra TI from there
  • malloc 12 Oct 2004 16:06:33 2,353 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Right got a few possibilities, would be grateful if anyone could pass their knowing eye over the specs and tell me what ya think.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=177&item=5129617151&rd=1
    It's the Voyager X5 PM16. Pretty good actually fron what I can tell. Wireless and Radeon Mobility 128mb 9700. The only thing putting me off is the processor is 1.6GHz which is a tad on the slow side, or not?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26266&item=6713247912&rd=1
    3GHz this time, but only has Radeon Mobility 9600 Graphics 64MB memory, would prefer 9700 which has 128mb video. Maybe similar to Tiger_walt's...

What I'd like ideally is a wireless laptop, reasonably uptodate graphics card, 15" monitor (17" is too big IMHO), and preferrably 1.8GHz atleast CPU.

Any comments appreciated.
  • Amajiro 12 Oct 2004 17:46:39 2,214 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    A word of warning about video drivers for mobile specific video cards. I have a Radeon Mobility 9600 (M10) in my laptop but some games lock the machine up. I cannot update the drivers with the catalyst ones as I need specific ones from my laptop manufacturer.

I suggest you try out the Omega Catalysts. I had the same sorts of problem with the default ATI drivers on my Mobility 9600pro, but the Omegas run just fine - I haven't had a single problem since installing them.
  • malloc 12 Oct 2004 17:50:47 2,353 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Amajiro wrote:
    Tiger_Walts wrote:

I suggest you try out the Omega Catalysts. I had the same sorts of problem with the default ATI drivers on my Mobility 9600pro, but the Omegas run just fine - I haven't had a single problem since installing them.
    Hi, have you done any gaming of any sort to speak of with it? Not that I'm really a heavy gamer but I would like to be able to take it around to my mate for a LAN fest with some of the latest games running reasonably smoothly.
  • Amajiro 12 Oct 2004 17:59:32 2,214 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I bought it as an all-around desktop replacement, and it plays games just fine (including Rome:Total War at 1920x1200 with medium detail). It's a Dell Inspiron 8600.

Looking at the links you posted, I'd go for the former so long as the 1.6 processor is a Pentium-M, which I'd assume it is.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next