Best GBA Games! Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• pratty 26 Aug 2010 11:29:05 237 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah the SP is the flip one.

I had a regular GBA for about a week until I realised I couldn't see anything so I upgraded to the SP. The SP obviously helps keep the screen in good condition too.

I actually prefered the look of the original GBA (I had the blue/purple one to match my gamecube) but the light on the SP makes all the difference, I can't believe people cope with the original GBA.

The backlit SP is quite rare, I don't think they were released in Europe. I'd love to have one but my DS Lite does just fine, as does my frontlit SP really.
  • Kosmoz 26 Aug 2010 13:59:02 7,510 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, i have the original GBA and sometimes its impossible to see the screen in certain light, and I'm always turning round trying to see better. Still, the games are still great by the standards of today so it's worth it.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• Sharks 26 Aug 2010 14:35:10 5,136 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice to see others are still fond of the old GBA.

My personal top 10:

1. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
    2. Golden Sun
    3. Warioware Twisted
    4. Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
    5. Klonoa: Dream Champ Tournament
    6. Kuru Kuru Kururin
    7. Pokémon Sapphire
    8. Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    9. Drill Dozer
    10. Breath of Fire II
  • SlackMaster 26 Aug 2010 16:47:14 3,132 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You want some old skool frustration/torture try Super Ghouls n' Ghosts... It's an ace conversion but you might end up throwing your GBA out the window.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• LockeTribal 26 Aug 2010 17:06:51 4,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just to stick my oar in, if anyone's interested in selling their old GBA SP or an old DS, give me a PM. I still have to finish FFs 5 and 6 and Golden Sun, but can barely see them on my old GBA :) I also highly recommend Mario Kart Super Circuit and Fire Emblem.
  • mal 26 Aug 2010 17:34:43 21,991 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Warioware Twisted is indeed excellent. Apparently it was never actually released here (in Yurp) in the end - makes sense I guess. It was one of the last GBA releases in the states, but concerns about the safety of the sensor delayed it over here. It was announced, but by the time the release date came round the DS had well and truly taken off and I guess they just kind of forgot about it.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Sharks 26 Aug 2010 17:52:14 5,136 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Which is why it's a godsend that the GBA's region free.

Means you can play Drill Dozer too, a lovely, intricate platformer and the best GBA game noone ever played.
  • D_arkTrooper 26 Aug 2010 17:58:07 1,285 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gradius Advance is AWESOME and the (very rare from what I believe) Ninja Cop is very good too.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• jonsaan 26 Aug 2010 23:26:21 25,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tekken Advance
    Game and Watch Gallery Advance - The best GBA game of all IMO.
    Pokemon Pinball
    Wario Ware Micro game (the first one I forget the full name)
    Mario Golf
    Mr Driller Advance

FCUTA!

• mal 26 Aug 2010 23:37:17 21,991 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Wario Ware Micro game (the first one I forget the full name)
    You mean just 'WarioWare'? Well, technically it's called 'WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!' but since it was the only Warioware game at the time, people just called it that.

• wildcatforever 26 Aug 2010 23:39:57 222 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd love a copy of Drill Dozer. Seems incredibly hard to find and I never saw it in shops at the time of release.
  • lucky_jim 26 Aug 2010 23:40:19 5,161 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any views on what the GBA Micro is like to actually use? I always fancied getting hold of one as a bit of a curiosity.
  • chasejamie 27 Aug 2010 00:45:28 806 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I fucking love the micro. Shame it was released at an awkward time. My favourite handheld ever and the most portable. Mines has a few dead pixels, but I don't notice it blasting through Mario Kart and Advance Wars.
  • mrpon 27 Aug 2010 00:53:03 27,648 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Too small for any lengthy play sessions imo. The SP is just a sublime form factor, beats the DS.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• chasejamie 27 Aug 2010 01:06:05 806 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only use it for short periods at a time, but your probably right.
  • Kosmoz 27 Aug 2010 10:06:05 7,510 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had no idea there was still so much GBA love, I was expecting maybe one or two answers.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• Sharks 27 Aug 2010 12:42:08 5,136 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wildcatforever wrote:
    I'd love a copy of Drill Dozer. Seems incredibly hard to find and I never saw it in shops at the time of release.

You can get it new for £5 from Amazon.

You know the way in Mr. Driller all you use your drill for is excavating through endless blocks, always going down and never going up? What makes Drill Dozer special is the sheer number of intricacies, puzzles and traps, nearly all of which make use of your drill. You latch, glide, fly, swim, destroy, all through use of the drill. It's amazing how versatile they make such a simple thing

The original WarioWare is better on the Gamecube for the insane multiplayer, it's an absolute riot, perhaps my favourite multiplayer of any video game. The GBA version has a couple of advantages but none that can match up to the utterly bizarre 8 modes of multiplayer the GC version has.

Tekken Advance is like Tekken 3, only watered down. Woefully watered down. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • mal 27 Aug 2010 13:21:51 21,991 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Whoever it was that suggested Fire Emblem, +1. Just fired up the second GBA game for the first time and it is indeed stonking judging by the first two hours.

• jonsaan 28 Aug 2010 17:29:31 25,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Too small for any lengthy play sessions imo. The SP is just a sublime form factor, beats the DS.

Agreed. The micro was nigh on unplayable for me. I even bought one again to check and I was still right.

FCUTA!

• jonsaan 28 Aug 2010 17:30:57 25,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tekken Advance really comes into its own for pass round survival. My band used to play nothing else. Fecking ace.

FCUTA!

• Obiwanshinobi 28 Aug 2010 22:37:21 866 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is the shit (released as "Castlevania" in PAL territories).
  • espibara 29 Aug 2010 00:40:11 4,161 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seriously how do you play GBA games now.

the GBA SP is no longer on sale and the DS lite has been replaced with the DSi
  • khaz 29 Aug 2010 01:09:38 2,581 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SPs and DS Lites are not so hard to find tbh. Regarding the games, this is my current collection (And growing):

Astro Boy: Omega Force
    FF4, 5, 6
    Tales of Phantasia
    Guardian Heroes Advance
    FFT Advance
    Super Mario Bros.
    Excitebike
    Golden Sun, Golden Sun: The Lost Age
    Zelda: Minnish Cap
    Metal Slug Advance

And more, can't think of the others at the moment, check this thread for more: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=159972
  • lucky_jim 29 Aug 2010 02:06:01 5,161 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @espibara. I've still got my GBA SP and DS Lite, and I've also got a Gamecube under my telly with one of those things under it that lets you play GBA games. I don't get rid of my old hardware unless it stops working, which is why I've still got things like a CD32 and an Atari Lynx filling the flat.

I have a funny feeling that the current consoles won't be around for as long as those!
  • espibara 29 Aug 2010 02:14:13 4,161 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    @espibara. I've still got my GBA SP and DS Lite, and I've also got a Gamecube under my telly with one of those things under it that lets you play GBA games. I don't get rid of my old hardware unless it stops working, which is why I've still got things like a CD32 and an Atari Lynx filling the flat.

I have a funny feeling that the current consoles won't be around for as long as those!

Its just that there are so many great GBA games but the hardware that plays it can only really be purchased second hand now. Its a shame really.
  • khaz 29 Aug 2010 05:55:29 2,581 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would like to add that GBA SP would survive a nuclear holocaust. No other gaming machine in existence have I abused as much as my SP. I once left it in my shower for nearly a whole month during winter which means LOTS of condensation and steam from hot showers and totally forgot it was there. It came out unscathed.

I've dropped it in water, dropped it on the ground, dropped in wet grass, its survived rain, rage throws against walls, random testing, bashing when games wouldn't load etc...

Second hand doesn't really apply to SPs tbh. They would make fucking good cannonballs tbh.
  • jonsaan 29 Aug 2010 15:59:09 25,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I lost my tribal one when I moved. Massive :( It just vanished off the face of the earth. I'm annoyed thinking about it even now. GAH!

FCUTA!

• Passitos 6 Sep 2010 22:41:03 1,605 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    POKEMON
  • mrpon 7 Sep 2010 00:18:33 27,648 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rufus wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Think I might dig out my rather rare backlit GBA SP!

/gloats

ARGH!!! You AND Caligari have them! Anyone else? *sobs*

Don't get me wrong, I love my GBA Micro (has the best d-pad of all the GBA's) but the brighter backlit SP is like the grail to me! It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

One day :)

/Jealous

Welcome to the club! ;)

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• neonemesis 8 Sep 2010 11:16:28 1,640 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Any views on what the GBA Micro is like to actually use? I always fancied getting hold of one as a bit of a curiosity.

Had one, sold it. Looked lovely and was a great piece of kit but as others say, I found it too small both physically and with regards to the screen. Sold my SP too because the screen light broke (it was only a front-lit version, calm down!) so I only have the original model and my DS to play the games on now.

Back on topic, just ordered Lady Sia after watching a few Youtube vids. Looks decent enough and was cheap.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last