What religion are you? Page 16

  • Page

    of 18 First / Last

  • LeoliansBro 13 Jan 2013 09:31:38 44,248 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I quite like 'ignosticism'.

    God doesn't exist! Or maybe he does. Point is it doesn't really matter thst much to my life what with everything else going on so I don't worry about it too much.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Deleted user 13 January 2013 09:35:53
    Why do many non religious people have such beef with religious people? Can't you just let other people have faith and get on with your own life? Same goes for preachy religious people.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2013 09:38:52
    Need to convert the believers/nonbelievers.
  • Maturin 13 Jan 2013 09:47:03 3,006 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Maturin wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    ...The Crusades.
    Nope.
    Just no? No context?
    Well what's the point. You wrongly threw "The Crusades" in there with no evidence. I doubt anything more detailed I could have said would interest you. I was replying in kind.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2013 09:49:10
    Everyone cuddle.
  • King_Edward 13 Jan 2013 09:59:52 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    Maturin wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    ...The Crusades.
    Nope.
    Just no? No context?
    Well what's the point. You wrongly threw "The Crusades" in there with no evidence. I doubt anything more detailed I could have said would interest you. I was replying in kind.
    That sounds a lot like backtracking. :D

    Edited by King_Edward at 10:00:01 13-01-2013
  • Maturin 13 Jan 2013 10:05:18 3,006 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well there's nothing a backsliding former-atheist former-Christian liberal agnostic can't do if he doesn't know if he believes in it or not. :)
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Jan 2013 10:18:20 17,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Why do many non religious people have such beef with religious people? Can't you just let other people have faith and get on with your own life? Same goes for preachy religious people.
    That's a core problem though, as part of being a preachy religious person it is required as part of your belief system to convert those that don't believe in your religion. Evangelism is part of Christianity, Judaism and Islam as far as I know.

    Thus if you have one side preaching then the other side preaches back. Saying that, some irreligious people will also take someones belief to be wrong so will attempt to argue them out of their beliefs.

    The problem - as I see it - with both of these positions is that it's very difficult indeed to change a persons opinion, especially strongly held ones, arguing from a scientific or logical position will make little headway with someone who has a faith and arguing from a faith based position will not generally make a dent in the person arguing from the scientific angle.

    Edit: I realise I haven't tackled why atheists feel the need to change the opinion of people with faith but as someone who avoids that (having a family made up of Christians) I can't speak to why that would be apart from in a reactive manner.

    Edited by Mr_Sleep at 10:20:36 13-01-2013

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Mola_Ram 13 Jan 2013 10:21:44 7,404 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is solipsism a sort of religion? That'd be a fun one to have. Until someone said "does this fist exist?" and punch you.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2013 10:24:32
    Evangelism appear to be characteristics of both sides.
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Jan 2013 10:26:41 17,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I guess that's true. Just as there are people uncomfortable with being an evangelist and a Christian there is the same thing in atheism.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Rusty_M 13 Jan 2013 10:27:53 4,692 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe it's something as simple as "people want other people to think like them"

    I know that's a hell of a generalisation and I apologise. Perhaps swaying others to their point of view gives them a sense of validation. Perhaps it's the old they're only so vociferous because they lack true conviction.

    I really don't know.

    edit : Mr_Sleep

    Edited by Rusty_M at 10:28:20 13-01-2013

    The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

  • elstoof 13 Jan 2013 10:28:17 7,374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:

    ...The Crusades.
    Territory. Christians wanted access to holy land. Next.
  • ZuluHero 13 Jan 2013 10:30:00 4,167 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a reason why people don't talk about religion or politics...
  • Deleted user 13 January 2013 10:43:54
    I'm religious but have not and will not preach. People need to believe in what they want. Plus to say someone will go to hell because they are an infidel is crazy, basically calling Allah a dick. 'oh you didn't believe in me although your only reference was books that are thousands of years old and largely out of touch the the modern world! Burn my children, burn.'
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Jan 2013 10:45:36 17,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Maybe it's something as simple as "people want other people to think like them"

    I know that's a hell of a generalisation and I apologise. Perhaps swaying others to their point of view gives them a sense of validation. Perhaps it's the old they're only so vociferous because they lack true conviction.

    I really don't know.

    edit : Mr_Sleep
    All of those points probably play into the reasoning, I'm always telling people what music they should be listening to or which games they should be playing but my reasoning on that is generally because I want people to enjoy the better things (as I see them), so perhaps it is something similar. I know my mother takes great inner strength from her faith and probably wants me to have the same sort of enjoyment or contentment from something.

    So for the atheistic side there is contentment and enjoyment to be had out of different things and so there's a move to get people on board with that opinion.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • kalel 13 Jan 2013 10:46:25 87,700 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    People need to believe in what they want. Plus to say someone will go to hell because they are an infidel is crazy
    Quite a feat to contradict yourself in consecutive sentences.
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Jan 2013 10:46:27 17,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    There's a reason why people don't talk about religion or politics...
    Is it because people generally lack any tact and also lack concern for their fellow human? ;-)

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • LeoliansBro 13 Jan 2013 10:47:18 44,248 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Revan: genuine question, how do you square your religion with your medical training?

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • jonsaan 13 Jan 2013 10:47:59 25,352 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know what would be really hilarious? If someone were to make out that their religion was 'Jedi', that would be SO funny..

    FCUTA!

  • elstoof 13 Jan 2013 10:49:47 7,374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    This is a strawman. No war has ever been fought "purely" over one thing. So what? Are we saying that faith isn't a major factor in lots of wars? Because it is.
    The point is Rob the builder claims atheism is good and religion is bad because religion apparently causes war. It's a factor, certainly, but not the defining reason for the millions of deaths he points out.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Jan 2013 10:51:22 44,248 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Religion's a handy 'them vs us' excuse for all the actual reasons to go to war.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Moot_Point 13 Jan 2013 10:51:59 4,109 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This quote is the most pertinent so far.

    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    None. It's all made up bullshit that causes wars between brainwashed retards.

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • Deleted user 13 January 2013 10:55:18
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Revan: genuine question, how do you square your religion with your medical training?
    How so? As in do I feel I'm bring intervention into god work or from a science/ religion point of view?
  • King_Edward 13 Jan 2013 10:55:21 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:

    ...The Crusades.
    Territory. Christians wanted access to holy land. Next.
    So religious people wanting access to religious lands, authorised by a religious figurehead offering religious rewards does not a religious war make?

    We're getting into the "guns don't kill people" territory here. No, they don't, but they make it really easy. Same goes for Religion and war.

    Edited by King_Edward at 10:58:24 13-01-2013
  • Deleted user 13 January 2013 10:59:06
    kalel wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    People need to believe in what they want. Plus to say someone will go to hell because they are an infidel is crazy
    Quite a feat to contradict yourself in consecutive sentences.
    I wrote that in regards to preachy people who happily tell people they will burn for not believing. People won't even be friends with infidels. To be fair in the Quran it does kind of say not to befriend the non believers but also do not harm them unless they treaten you or other believers.
  • kalel 13 Jan 2013 11:00:15 87,700 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    This is a strawman. No war has ever been fought "purely" over one thing. So what? Are we saying that faith isn't a major factor in lots of wars? Because it is.
    The point is Rob the builder claims atheism is good and religion is bad because religion apparently causes war. It's a factor, certainly, but not the defining reason for the millions of deaths he points out.
    The reason why most are prepared to die in a war is some sort of ideology, often a religious one. I think it's fair to cite it as the defining reason for millions of deaths, if not the cause of the war itself.

    Take the current situation with Al Queada. At the heart it's about land and resources, but it's religious fundamentalism that actually drives it.
  • Lukus 13 Jan 2013 11:07:27 19,114 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    This quote is the most pertinent so far.

    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    None. It's all made up bullshit that causes wars between brainwashed retards.
    It's not, it's actually incredibly simplistic and naive.

    Paintings & Photographs

  • elstoof 13 Jan 2013 11:12:12 7,374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:

    ...The Crusades.
    Territory. Christians wanted access to holy land. Next.
    So religious people wanting access to religious lands, authorised by a religious figurehead offering religious rewards does not a religious war make?

    We're getting into the "guns don't kill people" territory here. No, they don't, but they make it really easy. Same goes for Religion and war.
    Okay, slightly longer answer then. The Byzantine empire was under threat from the Turks and in battle lost the territory which enabled access to western Christian's holy land. The empire called for help in their rivalry with the Turks, using the holy land angle as a reason to back them up. Add in a few socio-economical factors and you've got yourself a crusade or nine to play with.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 13 Jan 2013 11:12:45 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If it wasn't religion that was used as the distinctive marker in apparent faith based wars it would be something else.



    I watched a documentary where; i think it was Sudan; the country is 90 odd percent Islamic, but there are divisions and social persecution between the black people and the asians.

    I think that religion can be a potential division that can dictate which side you take; but not necessarily the social issue that provoked the conflict.

    Religions are just football teams imo.
  • Page

    of 18 First / Last

Log in or register to reply