What religion are you? Page 15

  • Page

    of 18 First / Last

  • ZuluHero 12 Jan 2013 23:30:32 4,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    I had a bought today. What if the question of the existence of god is a schroedinger's cat?

    As we can't see god, does he both exist and not exist until we open 'the box'...?
    So catism then? :p

    Edited by ZuluHero at 23:31:12 12-01-2013
  • NewbieZilla 12 Jan 2013 23:36:07 239 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    I had a bought today. What if the question of the existence of god is a schroedinger's cat?

    As we can't see god, does he both exist and not exist until we open 'the box'...?
    No.
  • elstoof 12 Jan 2013 23:49:36 6,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bladdard wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Yes, it's a discussion. Get over it.
    Atheists don't believe in nothing elstoof. I believe in genetics, in science, making your one chance on earth count and i also believe in my own mortality and ultimate death. My only continuation will be the DNA I pass to my offspring. Since DNA is my definition and programming, passing that to my children and my childrens children could be considered life after death.
    These aren't exactly beliefs though, you just listed some facts. You may as well believe in daffodils being yellow, or lemons tasting sour. I don't know which is more narrow minded, blindly accepting what you see as all there is or blindly accepting what you're told is all there is because really they aren't all that different an end result.
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Jan 2013 23:52:13 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ZuluHero Boxaism
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Jan 2013 23:52:49 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @NewbieZilla thanks for your contribution.
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Jan 2013 23:55:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elstoof the whole problem IS belief. Why does he HAVE to have belief? Isn't understanding science better than belief?
  • elstoof 12 Jan 2013 23:57:07 6,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not saying he or anyone does, but that closing yourself to the possibility is an awfully blinkered view. Anyway, what harm does belief do?
  • Dougs 12 Jan 2013 23:59:50 67,016 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    I think I might be an Apatowist - the freaks and geeks shall inherit the earth.
    I'm glad the geeks are getting something, they've had a hell of a time.
  • RobTheBuilder 13 Jan 2013 00:00:46 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elstoof but a smart atheist isn't closed. They have looked at the facts and decided the evidence to support a god doesn't exist. The dumb atheists that bitch and whine are annoying though.

    Belief? Only millions and millions of unwarranted deaths and years of wars and violence.

    As someone once said. "Jesus came to earth preaching love and peace, you then spend 2000 years killing each other over how he said it."
  • localnotail 13 Jan 2013 00:02:38 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dougs :D Blessed are the cheesemakers.

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • elstoof 13 Jan 2013 00:16:16 6,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Belief? Only millions and millions of unwarranted deaths and years of wars and violence.
    That's drivel and you know it, andI'm disappointed that all you had to hang your hat on was this old cliché. Wars aren't waged because a person believes something, they start a war because they want something. Religion is merely used as a rallying point. Fact is, some of the greatest achievements of mankind have been inspired by faith, it's darkest moments have been down to a hunger for power.
  • ZuluHero 13 Jan 2013 00:19:29 4,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    @Dougs :D Blessed are the cheesemakers.
    Consider the lilies... ;)
  • bladdard 13 Jan 2013 00:22:51 909 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @elstoof but a smart atheist isn't closed. They have looked at the facts and decided the evidence to support a god doesn't exist. The dumb atheists that bitch and whine are annoying though.
    This!
  • RobTheBuilder 13 Jan 2013 00:31:40 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elstoof are you saying religion isn't responsible for wars?

    I never said nothing good came of belief, just too many bad things.
  • elstoof 13 Jan 2013 00:34:25 6,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, that's precisely what I said. Check the post again to be sure.
  • Khanivor 13 Jan 2013 01:29:25 40,490 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Wars aren't waged because a person believes something, they start a war because they want something.
    I hear this a lot. I'm not sure it's quite the put down many think it is.

    You can certainly argue that grand wars which have been waged under the banner of a religion might have been directed by those with ulterior motives. Quite probably, yes. But wars are not fought just by those who stand to gain land or power. The numbers are made up of those who stand to gain nothing but life or death. Religious belief has been the incentive for them to get up and go fight.

    Then there's the aspect of how a war is fought and for how long. Take religion out of a war of conquest and would the aggressor be able to push their troops to keep fighting after a series of defeats? Without the power of true belief would men go to the lengths they have gone to to achieve victory over the non-believer?

    It seems fashionable to try and absolve religion of any blame for wars that have been fought in its name. I am certainly no historian but I have a feeling that this was not the case even a hundred years ago in the west.
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Jan 2013 01:31:37 7,954 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agnostic.
  • mal 13 Jan 2013 01:33:55 22,406 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    NewbieZilla wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    I had a bought today. What if the question of the existence of god is a schroedinger's cat?

    As we can't see god, does he both exist and not exist until we open 'the box'...?
    No.
    Meh, but God has omnipresence. Quantum particles can be in n places at once. Who knows that god's not a subatomic particle?

    Damnit, now I'm a quantum agnotic theist humanist. Damn you, thread.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • NewbieZilla 13 Jan 2013 01:38:16 239 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @NewbieZilla thanks for your contribution.
    You required a more thorough response to it? If so, I'll need to know exactly in what sense you think it is a serious question to consider... I know its wiki, but go here: 's_cat#Interpretations_of_the_experiment

    Edit: Clicky link: http://tinyurl.com/atohc6h

    Edited by NewbieZilla at 01:39:21 13-01-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 13 Jan 2013 02:08:33 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mal Church of the Quantum Agnostic Theist Humanists, or CQATH for short...
  • RobTheBuilder 13 Jan 2013 02:09:48 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @NewbieZilla It wasn't a serious question at all, just expected more than a blunt yes or no in response!
  • elstoof 13 Jan 2013 08:17:11 6,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Khanivor

    Who said anything about it being a put down?

    The people making the numbers in the initial stages of a war are the military, getting paid and following orders. The second wave of pawns are people signing up in order to defend themselves after an attack. Can you name one war that was fought purely because of religion?
  • King_Edward 13 Jan 2013 08:27:37 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    @Khanivor

    Who said anything about it being a put down?

    The people making the numbers in the initial stages of a war are the military, getting paid and following orders. The second wave of pawns are people signing up in order to defend themselves after an attack. Can you name one war that was fought purely because of religion?
    ...The Crusades.
  • ZuluHero 13 Jan 2013 08:32:15 4,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Most wars are fought because of resources or territory expansion though a lot of leaders will say that god is fighting with them or god is on their side.

    One of main religion sanctioned wars was the ever famous crusades, though this wasn't for Christians' to beat their faith into the Middle East 'heathens' as many believe, it was a campaign to open up closed access to places of religious significance, such as Jerusalem, for Christian pilgrims.

    Edited by ZuluHero at 08:34:19 13-01-2013
  • SirScratchalot 13 Jan 2013 08:41:25 7,872 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Atheist. Religions seem very humanly petty and I'll be damned before I give any kind of authority to any kind of preacher.
  • Maturin 13 Jan 2013 09:07:29 2,929 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    ...The Crusades.
    Nope.
  • King_Edward 13 Jan 2013 09:23:16 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    ...The Crusades.
    Nope.
    Just no? No context?
  • kalel 13 Jan 2013 09:28:07 86,743 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is a strawman. No war has ever been fought "purely" over one thing. So what? Are we saying that faith isn't a major factor in lots of wars? Because it is.
  • Page

    of 18 First / Last

Log in or register to reply