An Idiot Abroad Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• hiddenranbir 16 Oct 2010 02:17:08 5,744 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On Sky-player.
  • Deleted user 25 October 2010 23:45:53
    Watched the Jordan/Israel episode tonight. Brilliant.

"Who's put them there?"
  • graysonavich 25 Oct 2010 23:47:06 6,802 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A couple of bits in the Mexico episode had me in stitches. It's not the worst thing on telly that's for sure.
  • Deleted user 25 October 2010 23:53:09
    The "I'm not going on a camel" bit reminded me of "I'm not driving a Mini Metro" :D

Also:

"How do you get post here?"
    "You write "Petra" on it"
    "And you get it?! I don't get things in the post sometimes, and I've got a postcode. That's amazed me more than the wonder; I don't believe that"
  • Lexx87 26 Oct 2010 00:01:52 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    A couple of bits in the Mexico episode had me in stitches. It's not the worst thing on telly that's for sure.

When he's legging it in from the bull riding and suddenly goes "there's loads of bees here! Is anywhere safe?!" made me fall on the floor.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 26 October 2010 00:10:57
    Haha, just remembered the bit where he ran away from the happy van in Israel. :D
  • Blakester 26 Oct 2010 10:23:58 3,347 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loving this show.

You can tell Karl liked Mexico which made me happy because it's one of my favourite places on earth.

He's also saved me thousands on a trip to see the pyramids. Just watching his expression confirmed they'd be a massive disappointment to me also.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• ZuluHero 26 Oct 2010 10:36:28 3,661 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really liked the Mexico one, not just because he went to Chichen Itza where i went on my honeymoon (when the climb to the top was open to teh public :), but because it was genuinely touching when he was giving that Mayan family monster munch.

I actually think that Karl is actually acting up to the 'idiot' a lot too. Some of the stuff he says, especially so when he's annoyed by a situation, he sometimes lets it slip. Take the point he made in the Egypt one last week, when he was talking about deaf people and mobile phones and technology, I thought it was actually pretty insightful.

Even re-listening to the podcasts (the animated one) you can sort of see it there too, where he has these moments and you'll notice that Ricky will pick up on it and shout him down, or cite an extreme example which makes him look stupid or in some cases even change the subject entirely.
  • Dougs 26 Oct 2010 11:30:50 64,895 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Loving this show.

You can tell Karl liked Mexico which made me happy because it's one of my favourite places on earth.

He's also saved me thousands on a trip to see the pyramids. Just watching his expression confirmed they'd be a massive disappointment to me also.

I've not been but the wife has and said they're one of the few things that bowls you over, such is the scale and size of them. Plus how close they are to Cairo itself. I don't know what he was expecting really.
  • Lexx87 26 Oct 2010 11:33:25 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zulu Ricky doesn't do that he actually says many times is Karl really a total genius.

Speak the truth hussy!

• pistol 26 Oct 2010 13:37:02 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    Loving this show.

I've not been but the wife has and said they're one of the few things that bowls you over, such is the scale and size of them. Plus how close they are to Cairo itself. I don't know what he was expecting really.

My misses remembers going on a school trip many years ago and said they were a lot smaller than she thought they'd be, but still an incredible site.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2010 14:00:19
    I've absolutely loved this television series, but I knew I would because I think Karl is a genius (you never see an old man eating a Twix). I listened to alot of the Xfm shows and Ricky Gervais podcasts with Karl. Ricky is a shit, he loves landing Karl right in it.

Last week when it turned out Ricky had asked the hotel for the worse room in the hotel and then right at the end they showed Karl one of the proper rooms. "This is the room that Michael Palin stayed in, innit?"

It was hilarious when he was inside the quiet pyramid, and said I quite like it, it's quiet, I could get my head down in 'ere. You have to respect him though because when he's not sulking or running away he does have a go at things, and they have dropped him right in it throughout the series. Even when on the occasion he actually starts to enjoy something, like in the Dead Sea, something happens to ruin it. Paddling about in the Dead Sea and he was happy for about 10 seconds before finding some "gob" in his bellybutton.

This is one of my favourite bits. "I'm up to here with this"

Also, needle through glass into a balloon (quiet please!)
  • Deleted user 26 October 2010 14:05:52
    Heh, I loved the bit with the glass.

Never seen him laugh as much as when he threw the needle into the cameraman's arm.
  • Salaman 2 Nov 2010 11:16:33 18,239 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I still enjoyed the Rio one because I enjoy seeing Karl out and about in some foreign country, connecting to locals, doing things which he normally wouldn't enjoy doing but giving it a fair go.
    The "formula" used for each episode however is getting a bit old and predictable.

They send him off and purposely put him in some shithole to assure he can't get any sleep just for shit and giggles. Sadly this doesn't really contribute anything.
    They then arrange for Karl to meet some locals and do some weird local shit (karnaval samba dancing this time). These are usually the enjoyable bits.
    Then there's usually a phone call from Ricky which is just annoying "Hey! Youhating it? Is it terrible? Isn't the hotel a real shithole?"
    A phonecall from Steve which is marginally more useful as he's trying to figure out what Karl thinks of the country and the experience.

The actual "wonder" visited seems to take less and less prominence every week.

At this point, I feel like the series would improve tenfold if they took Ricky out of the equation. Get Stephen Merchant to set Karl up with some lodgings for the the first 2/3 nights and to sort out some locals and let Karl set his own agenda for the second part of the week. I bet you'd get some real interesting stuff if he could just decide to go do whatever takes his fancy for a day or two.

• warlockuk 2 Nov 2010 11:19:08 19,101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah. Basically, Ricky Gervais is a cockwit and they should just keep him away from it. Have a separate show where Gervais sits watching the show and they film it; they can call it "A dickhead laughs".

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Venkman90 2 Nov 2010 11:29:40 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do sometimes get this feeling of Ricky and Steve being "elitist" and laughing at the dumb, working class prole. I know that's not actually the format but it just comes across that way at times. They do fancy themselves as being very intellectual and are both clearly loving the success having been socially mocked most of their lives (a fact they don't hide).

I loved the podcasts back in 06 and I still find Karl hilarious but I can live without those two now.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2010 22:20:01
    The best impressions I've ever heard
  • DemonheadClash 5 Nov 2010 22:31:38 22 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DemonheadClash 5 Nov 2010 22:35:21 22 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Salaman wrote:

At this point, I feel like the series would improve tenfold if they took Ricky out of the equation. Get Stephen Merchant to set Karl up with some lodgings for the the first 2/3 nights and to sort out some locals and let Karl set his own agenda for the second part of the week. I bet you'd get some real interesting stuff if he could just decide to go do whatever takes his fancy for a day or two.

This. I strongly believe Ricky was involved in it far more than he should have been.

Him and Stephen at the start would have been much less invasive
  • TakeTheVeil 7 Nov 2010 11:10:09 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Machu Picchu was easily the best of the bunch for me. Really enjoyed the series overall. Wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of him on TV
  • mingster 7 Nov 2010 11:13:54 3,267 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just the debriefing to go now...
  • Lexx87 7 Nov 2010 11:27:29 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TakeTheVeil wrote:
    The Machu Picchu was easily the best of the bunch for me. Really enjoyed the series overall. Wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of him on TV

Loved this series :D

It gave me the person Christmas pressie for mum as well buying the DVD. She loves Karl but doesn't have Sky :)

Speak the truth hussy!

• magicpanda 7 Nov 2010 13:14:03 13,007 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought they were doing an episode where karl takes Ricky and Steve to Wales on a caravan holiday?
  • Deleted user 7 November 2010 14:29:48
    Finally managed to find my favourite Pilkington clip again: Karl on poetry.

Continues on into part 6. Has me in stitches every time.
  • sirtacos 7 Nov 2010 15:36:23 7,205 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just watched episode 1. It's brilliant. Definitely buying the DVDs when they come out.

Oh and stumbled upon this while I was googling whether or not Karl is as much of an idiot as he makes himself out to be (Guardian interview of the man himself)
    He really is an expertly crafted comic figure, regardless of authenticity.

As much as I love Ricky Gervais though, he does strike me as somewhat of a self-important prick.
  • monkehhh 14 Nov 2010 16:59:07 3,125 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00w5c7b/Something_for_the_Weekend_14_11_2010/
    (about 40 mins in)
  • Lexx87 14 Nov 2010 17:09:15 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DVD and companion book on its way form Amazon for my mum's Christmas present.

Going to be a struggle to not use them myself!

Speak the truth hussy!

• TakeTheVeil 23 Nov 2010 00:41:47 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha.. I love Karl..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11815230
  • Page

of 5 First / Last