An Idiot Abroad Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Stickman 9 Oct 2010 14:47:13 29,666 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just enjoy the programme and buy a Lonely Planet guide.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Deleted user 9 October 2010 14:49:52
    I think its ok, but occasionally it does seem like he is acting but not very well. Even so it swings to being very funny sometimes, just the way he reacts to things, even though there is a good chance its not genuine reactions but acting in character.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2010 14:56:24
    twelveways: LOL. Were you expecting this to be like Michael Palin?
  • Deleted user 9 October 2010 14:59:00
    It would be good if they did try to market it as a serious travel program obviously with a different title. It kind of makes it funnier when you think along those lines.
  • Benno 9 Oct 2010 15:00:33 9,844 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Those half formed eggs actually taste pretty good with some salt and vinegar. Supposed to be really good for you too.

Not sure what to make of this series, its funny but its not really informative or interesting in any way, I learn more about KP than I do about the countries.

heh
  • Benno 9 Oct 2010 15:01:09 9,844 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i didn't think i would like it, but i got it force fed down me by my housemates and its actually really funny
  • twelveways 10 Oct 2010 13:07:02 3,978 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    twelveways: LOL. Were you expecting this to be like Michael Palin?

No, but I dont think it would have hurt for it to try to be a little more traveloguey.
  • President_Weasel 10 Oct 2010 14:13:30 9,208 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not a travelogue, there are loads of those. It's an idiotalogue; the whole point is to put a man with a unique take on the world, who fears things he doesn't understand and who doesn't understand anything foreign, into a series of exotic locations and then point and laugh when he has some amusing reactions.

I actually find him quite likeable. There's no meanness about his reactions; it's like he manages to be xenophobic without any of the hatred you'd usually associate with the word.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2010 15:05:24
    Sorry twelveways, but you're totally missing the point.

I watched the India episode last night. Gotta say, you couldn't pay me to go to India after that! Looks dreadful for the most part.
  • Flightrisker 10 Oct 2010 15:22:47 18,138 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm finding it less lol-ly and more interesting, in a good way. Glad Gervais and Merchant are kept to a minimum, they6 come off a bit twatish in the small bits they are in and Gervais' laugh is unbearable to me now.

My 2 biggest lols weretwo quite off the cuff remarks from Karl as opposed to the expected reaction laughs. In China when family were trying to get him to eat frog and he said "I think he's choking" pointing at the kid. He even laughed at his own joke there which was quite unusual for him.

The other was in India when he got to the honeymoon suite "Sort of an en suite shed. Which is quite handy". Dunno why that made me laugh so much.

Good show.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2010 15:33:56
    The en suite shed was a highlight for me too.

I don't mind Stephen's contributions, as they actually push the show forward, and you do get the impression that Stephen has genuinely sent him to try and broaden his mind, but there's no point in Ricky's calls.

In the India episode his first phone call was literally "Alright mate, how are you? See you later". It feels like the only reason he pops up is to remind everyone that he's involved and that it's his idea.

Also, the bit in the China episode where he threw the needle into the cameraman's arm by accident was great! Got to be the most I've seen/heard Karl laugh.
  • woodnotes 10 Oct 2010 15:37:22 4,923 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it's a great show.

It's what "Paul Merton in..." should have been.
  • Lexx87 10 Oct 2010 15:41:33 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    People who do think he is putting it on really need to listen to the podcasts. I've listening to him for years this show just cements his greatness even further.

Jordon was another great episode too :) really really enjoying this series.

Speak the truth hussy!

• woodnotes 10 Oct 2010 15:57:38 4,923 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It'd be nice to see another series, but I suppose it can only get less and less funny. Basically after this series Karl will be very well travelled and nothing will be much of a surprise or shock to him any more.
  • Deckard1 10 Oct 2010 16:02:36 27,770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the shed line made me laugh the most out of anything. Been a fan of him since I first saw him on the extras on one of Gervais's standup DVDs.

Hush you ponce

• twelveways 10 Oct 2010 17:56:12 3,978 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Sorry twelveways, but you're totally missing the point.

I watched the India episode last night. Gotta say, you couldn't pay me to go to India after that! Looks dreadful for the most part.

I dont think I am missing the point, I understand that they sent an 'idiot' abroad but its basically turned into 'lets see how uncomfortable we can make this idiot feel'. I think it would be a lot funnier if they had just put him in a more normal situation in those countries, having dinner with a regular family etc and making him learn more about the customs and culture of the country he is visiting rather than taking him to the extreme where his reaction is pretty much the same as anybody's reaction would be.

Like I said, I enjoy the program and will keep on watching but I still think it feels empty. You can definately tell its a Sky program.
  • nickthegun 10 Oct 2010 18:01:35 59,527 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    I think it would be a lot funnier if they had just put him in a more normal situation in those countries, having dinner with a regular family etc and making him learn more about the customs and culture of the country he is visiting

When you say funnier, you actually meant to put 'more boring', right?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• twelveways 10 Oct 2010 18:10:16 3,978 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It wouldn't be boring though with Karl, he would make it interesting just with his general retardedness. They could have got absolutely anybody to do the fire massage, the kung fu stuff, staying in a shitty hotel etc and their reactions would have been exactly the same. The great thing about KP is his reaction to the everyday and the mundane.

My favourite parts so far were him trying to get the Chinese calligraphers to say his name properly, talking about Chinese toilets and observing the traffic in India, mundane things with his spin on it.
  • woodnotes 10 Oct 2010 18:33:52 4,923 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    twelveways wrote:
    I think it would be a lot funnier if they had just put him in a more normal situation in those countries, having dinner with a regular family etc and making him learn more about the customs and culture of the country he is visiting

When you say funnier, you actually meant to put 'more boring', right?
    This.
  • monkehhh 10 Oct 2010 18:44:35 3,298 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm currently listening to the old XFM shows where Karl was assigned as show producer to Ricky and Stephen.. it seems so natural that the show pretty much becomes all about Karl, it's great to listen to them learn more and more about the down-to-Earth maniac that is Karl Pilkington :)

Head like a fucking orange.
  • Lexx87 15 Oct 2010 21:58:59 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So did anyone watch Mexico?

Gonna sky player when when I get back from the pub

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 15 October 2010 22:13:10
    Yeah, some truly laugh out loud moments, one part is spectacularly funny.
  • oceanmotion 15 Oct 2010 22:21:46 15,845 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    So did anyone watch Mexico?

Gonna sky player when when I get back from the pub

Yea, the fireworks in the street moment.
  • Lexx87 15 Oct 2010 22:51:15 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Poor Suzanne!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Machetazo 15 Oct 2010 23:02:10 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ploop wrote:
    I think its ok, but occasionally it does seem like he is acting but not very well.
    This is why I decided not to watch this, because of a hunch I had that the audience would be taken for a ride, with Karl merely acting like an idiot abroad (the whole thing would be staged/scripted was my concern - at which point, you may as well go all the way and set a sitcom around the premise). The advert with the three of them, just gave off that impression, and the footage then shown to promote the series was unconvincing.
  • JuanKerr 15 Oct 2010 23:28:56 36,241 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The best way to judge the programme is to avoid watching it. Well done you.
  • Deleted user 15 October 2010 23:34:19
    There are loads of things I hate that I have no knowledge of despite my best efforts to avoid them.
  • JuanKerr 15 Oct 2010 23:38:19 36,241 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't really know what to say in response to that.
  • Deleted user 15 October 2010 23:43:00
    \o/
  • caligari 16 Oct 2010 00:10:12 17,024 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Guys - I'm having trouble finding this online.

I've only seen the first episode, so I'd really like (if possible) links to the others. I will be forever grateful for your help!
  • Page

of 5 First / Last