Louie

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 18 August 2010 15:00:15
    Is anyone watching this? It's on FX in America, and it's great.

It's easily one of the darkest comedies I've ever seen, but last weeks episode was absolutely fantastic.

Each episode starts with him (Louis CK) doing stand up, and then has two short films. I suppose it's like Curb, in that he plays himself but it's even more naturalistic. There's no arc or narrative, so I suggest trying out episode 9 as a start.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2010 15:16:15
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNRNCk3YwqE
  • Deleted user 19 August 2010 10:13:13
    lolled p.hard when the stoner threw the water bottle out the window onto the car!
  • craigy Staff 19 Aug 2010 10:15:20 7,835 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Best thing on TV, best comedian going. Louis CK is my God.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2010 10:41:03
    Yeah, this show is properly brilliant. The scene in the diner in the last episode with the bully felt very real, and the chat between the two dads (Louie and the bully's dad) was great.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 14:50:00
    Is this coming to our screens any time? Not a fan of torrents.
  • whoyouknow 5 Sep 2010 23:17:16 163 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Love it. I saw Louis in London last November and he did some stuff that wound up in Louie, absolutely broke myself laughing. I don't travel for anything, but I made the journey to see him and I'm so, so glad I did. It's the closest thing I've ever seen to a perfect piece of entertainment, because I never "checked out" - never got distracted, never found my mind wandering, never checked my watch, I was locked in the whole time. That never happens.

But yeah, it's immense. I think he's the king, seriously. There's nobody better, and I honestly think that he'll assume Carlin-esque status - at least in the US - in his lifetime.

Also, his new special is on TV on September 18th. Which means it'll be on the internet the next day.
  • whoyouknow 5 Sep 2010 23:23:42 163 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Some of the episodes are dark, really dark.
    I know, man - for a comedy program, it gets fucking rough in places.

But the thing I like best about it is that it's clearly the work of one very, very smart man as opposed to fifteen people all trying to push it one way or the other. If this show had been subjected to the same shit that Lucky Louie went through - script editors, table reads, pilots - it wouldn't be anywhere near as good (which is probably why Lucky Louie wasn't as good as it could have been). Vision really does beat committee when it comes to stuff like this and I'm glad he was left to get on with it.
  • Orange 5 Sep 2010 23:23:59 4,887 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's very good, not as funny as Curb but more honest.

It's been renewed for a 2nd season, so will be interesting to see where he goes with it.
  • monkehhh 5 Sep 2010 23:24:58 3,504 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Absolutely brilliant.. hilarious, uncomfortable, real and surreal.. can't recommend it enough.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2010 23:29:43
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Is this coming to our screens any time? Not a fan of torrents.

Anyone?
  • whoyouknow 5 Sep 2010 23:51:42 163 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nah, it's been commissioned for a second series already, and he's already touring his new special (the one that's airing on Epix on the 18th is "Hilarious", and he's now touring "Word"). I think there'd have to be a pretty serious catastrophe to stop him now, because he just seems to be flying high at the moment. And I think he's got the sense and the vision to stop it from ruining him.

There's a video on YouTube of Louis explaining all this stuff on the Opie and Anthony show and he basically said to FX, I'll make a show for $200k per episode (which is small change for TV in the US) but you have to wire me the money personally, and you don't get to have any say in how it's made. And they agreed. Then he sends them the tapes and they put them on TV. NBC offered him more money but I think he wanted the control.

Actually, for anyone who likes him, the YouTube clips of his Opie & Anthony interviews are fucking dynamite. There's a six parter called "Louis CK destroys Gap" - basically, some fucking idiot made a shitty film and was trying to plug it on the show when Louis was there, and he was absolutely merciless. Said some of the funniest things I've ever heard.

@deathgibbon No idea - I think they're still having trouble finding a Canadian station to run it, so you may be waiting a while.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 08:47:43
    lucky louie was so bad I thought - tho I only watched two eps, like a crude low rent king of queens

this series had its duds but it was p.good overall
  • craigy Staff 6 Sep 2010 09:06:07 7,835 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The latest episode ("God") was the best so far. Absolutely stunning stuff.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2010 09:23:02
    wall-o-text sorry, spoilers too I guess

The "Mom" episode was a character idea. a parent that is completely narcisistic. My mother is the opposite. But this show is not entirely autobiographical. Often it's not that at all. I just wanted to try this mom character and it worked well with the brother character I had developed. I also don't have a brother. I threw a couple of scenes at Robert Kelly and there was something so endearingly pathetic about him that I brought him back. When I started screwing around with this idea of having this awful mother, Robert's character fit into it perfectly.

I had written the God script before we started shooting and I shelved it. I just didn't think I could pull it off in the best possible way and did not want to do a shitty version of it. So I wrote it and then put it away. Several weeks later I wrote and shot Mom. A few weeks after that, I revisited the GOD script. I had more confidence in how we were producing the show and photographing it and I wanted to take it on. So I dusted off the script. Gayle Keller, the casting director, told me her idea of Tom Noonan, who I love and that just made me have to do it. Amy Silver the designer, made a great Jesus. So we put it into the mill.

Before it was shelved, Gayle had put a few people on tape, auditioning for "God". Amy Landecker had read for the mom. I hadn't seen it. She subsequently got the part for Bully, which we shot pretty early in the season. (sorry I know the timeline is a mess here) Anyway I watched her audition for God and she just nailed it (sorry) . No one else came close. So I decided I don't care that she was in this other thing. This show doesn't really function as a series. I don't think of it that way. I use what I need to tell each story. Also this is a flashback. It's in the past so it's a rememberance. There is something about a flashback, it feels like it exists on a hazier plane of reality than a present day story. It felt right to me to do that. Also at the end of her audition she said "You wanna go get some donuts?" which had this weird chilly time-travelly feeling to it because our Bully scene was so donut-centric.

As far as the mom character... Yeah, the mom in GOD is really my mom. We're even in a Pinto just like hers. She was a working mom and always wore a trench coat. The Mom in MOM was a total crazy character having to do with nothing in my life. The kid playing me in God was vastly different in look and character than the kid who plays me in Divorce and Bully. Every episode is tacking a different thing. Some people will be confused. That's okay. I think it's worth it. If it irks you to watch it because of that, I understand. But I still want to make the show this way. And they're letting me.

By the way my daughter, Jane, is played by two different girls through the season. I don't think it matters. Thanks for watching.
  • Blaketown 6 Sep 2010 10:00:00 4,953 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watched Episode 1 this weekend and it was really painful to watch. The most horribly cringey thing I've ever seen by quite some way. Didn't like it at all.

I'm going to give it more of a go as I usually love his stand up but if it's just going to be him behaving really awkwardly every episode I don't think I'm going to enjoy it.

I also thought the "there's no point in doing anything because it will always end badly" Stand Up bit was retarded in the extreme.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Deleted user 9 September 2010 23:12:16
    Oh my god, this is... well ... something

http://www.youtube.com/louisck#p/u/35/VABSoHYQr6k
  • TakeTheVeil 9 Sep 2010 23:21:43 5,058 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's not really funny.. and i dont mean that "its offensive".. its just not really funny. He's usually better than that. There's no real intelligence behind it.

Series has been great though! Anyone else think Marcy from Californication is pretty hot? I think its her dirty mouth
  • mwtb 10 Sep 2010 00:45:18 2,381 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    His stand-up is very hit and miss for me and the show is more of the same. For what it's worth, I really didn't like the first episode at all but found later episodes much better. It suffers from a lack of narrative flow though and I don't think it benefits from attempts to compare it to Curb.
  • Deleted user 10 September 2010 01:29:13
    whoyouknow wrote:
    Actually, for anyone who likes him, the YouTube clips of his Opie & Anthony interviews are fucking dynamite. There's a six parter called "Louis CK destroys Gap" - basically, some fucking idiot made a shitty film and was trying to plug it on the show when Louis was there, and he was absolutely merciless. Said some of the funniest things I've ever heard.

That bit is legendary in the O&A fan community.

O&A itself is well worth a listen if you like cringe humour. It's is above and beyond anything else you'll ever hear radio-wise.
  • localnotail 10 Sep 2010 09:30:46 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    whoyouknow wrote:
    But yeah, it's immense. I think he's the king, seriously. There's nobody better

I think Doug Stanhope could take him. And when I say take him, I mean hit him over the head with a barstool, hogtie him with gaffa tape, throw him in the trunk and drive him into the desert to stake him down, rape all available orifices and then sit there flicking fag ends at him while drinking bud til sunrise.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Blaketown 10 Sep 2010 09:33:47 4,953 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Throw in something about a distended rectum and that would have been perfect Local. ;)

Brap, brap, old chap.

• localnotail 10 Sep 2010 09:43:36 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry, I hadn't had any coffee yet so I was still sleepy. Oh, and there would be some kind of dwarf abuse involved too.

Oh, and P.S. Doug told me (and the rest of the audience) that Louis CK's show sucks. I definitely think they should fight. I would pay to view that.

• whoyouknow 10 Sep 2010 13:01:30 163 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Changing the subject from wildly fellating Doug Stanhope just for a second, did anybody seen the double bill of Louie that wrapped up the series? I thought the last episode was an absolute corker, can't wait for series 2 now. I hope this runs and runs, because it's the best TV I've seen in a long time.
  • Alastair 10 Sep 2010 13:12:12 16,405 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    localnotail wrote:

I think Doug Stanhope could take him. And when I say take him, I mean hit him over the head with a barstool, hogtie him with gaffa tape, throw him in the trunk and drive him into the desert to stake him down, rape all available orifices and then sit there flicking fag ends at him while drinking bud til sunrise.

Peej? Have you returned and hijacked local's account?
  • Deleted user 10 September 2010 13:30:20
    whoyouknow wrote:
    Changing the subject from wildly fellating Doug Stanhope just for a second, did anybody seen the double bill of Louie that wrapped up the series? I thought the last episode was an absolute corker, can't wait for series 2 now. I hope this runs and runs, because it's the best TV I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, it was absolutely great. Really touching.
  • localnotail 10 Sep 2010 15:16:08 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    localnotail wrote:

Peej? Have you returned and hijacked local's account?

Could be - I mean, have you ever seen us in the same room?

• Alastair 10 Sep 2010 15:44:22 16,405 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Could be - I mean, have you ever seen us in the same room?

Well, I've met Peej a few times, but never met anyone claiming to be you.

What are your opinions on:
    - Zzap magazine (and did you ever have a letter published there?)
    - Using bog standard rice to make risotto
    - over use of aliteration and simile in the majority of your posts
    - the state of things in Oxford
    - excessive use of the word 'nipper'
    - a perpetual worry that you don't get to sit on the 'cool' table at meets?
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous