Catherine - 360 and PS3 title from Atlus

• Page

of 16 First / Last

Previous
  • HiddenAway 18 Aug 2010 06:51:34 15,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like this new game is being staffed by some of the key members from Persona 4.

Story and initial scan - Possibly NSFW

Atlus Japan announced a new project from the Persona team in this week’s issue of Famitsu. Catherine is an action/adventure game with a horror taste intended for adults.

The game’s premise appears to be about a man who wakes up every night from his dreams. That’s what the text in pink tells us. An info box says Catherine is in development for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Katsura Hashino, the director of Persona 4, is the producer/director of Catherine. Shigenori Soejima is the character designer and Shoji Meguro is the game’s composer.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• DUFFMAN5 18 Aug 2010 06:53:05 15,424 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting BOX art there

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• HiddenAway 18 Aug 2010 07:05:23 15,000 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scan of the advert (again possibly NSFW but safer than the previous one) :p

I want pizza now - though not in that way

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Ged42 18 Aug 2010 07:46:06 7,812 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Basic plotline: Bloke has imaginery dream girl, who goes berserk when he gets a real girlfriend. She then tries to traps him in his dreams, which proceed to get more and more fucked up.

When at least it makes a change from rescuing princess.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2010 07:52:58
    Sounds great to me!
  • Hunam 18 Aug 2010 08:00:12 20,674 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Colour me interested.

Seems like a strange premise and slightly cheeky, though I guess a western release of such a game is on the less likely scale this time.
  • Everblue 18 Aug 2010 08:42:29 462 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ged42 wrote:
    Basic plotline: Bloke has imaginery dream girl, who goes berserk when he gets a real girlfriend. She then tries to traps him in his dreams, which proceed to get more and more fucked up.

When at least it makes a change from rescuing princess.

Inception Reloaded!
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Aug 2010 09:02:05 25,658 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Love the sound of it!

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• FabricatedLunatic 18 Aug 2010 09:12:15 13,040 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds inspired. With Persona 4's director behind it, it's definitely worth keeping an eye on.
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Aug 2010 09:31:42 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Curiosity piqued, but I bet it never makes it out of Japan.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2010 09:32:59
    How much do you want to place on that bet?
  • Everblue 18 Aug 2010 09:51:12 462 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Copied and pasted from Atlus "Suggest a Game" forum

Game Jouhou has posted a bunch of additional details on Catherine, Atlus's new PS3 and Xbox 360 action adventure game.

As detailed below, Catherine is the first HD game from Atlus. It's being made with key members of the Persona staff. Included in the staff list are Katsura Hashino as producer and director, Shigenori Soejima as character designer, and Shouji Meguro as sound composer.

While the game's name is Catherine, the main character is actually a 32-year-old salaryman named Vincent (voiced by Koichi Yamadera). Catherine (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro) is a stylish 22-year-old girl who apparently has the charms of a young girl.

The game begins when Vincent, a vegetarian who has no ambition in work or love (I'm not sure if he's literally a "vegetarian," or if the term "vegetarian" is some sort of metaphor for his personality) runs into the mysterious Catherine one day. At night, he has nightmares.

The nightmares serve as an action component for the game. Set in a world with an unending stairway, Vincent has to make it to the top of the stairs, or he will not be able to awaken.

Based off Game Jouhou's summary, it's a bit unclear how the game will progress. However, it does seem that even during the nightmare action parts, you'll end up working through the story and encountering events.

During a staff interview, Hashino said that as their first HD game, rather than trying out a true RPG, the team was excited about trying out something new. It looks like Catherine will be just that, as Hashino said it will be more adult oriented than past titles from the team. It's not all style, though. Hashino promised a deep play experience with plenty of gameplay for players to sink their teeth into.

Soejima said that there are some shockingly adult scenes in the game. When you play these scenes, they'll be even more stimulating, although in a difference sense.

Meguro confirmed the adult leanings of the title, saying that the keywords for the game's music are "classic," "adult oriented" and "erotic." He also promised 5.1ch sound.

Meguro also made a comment that has Persona fans excited. He said that due to Catherine, he believes for the time being the staff won't be asked about their next title. However, at some point next year, perhaps he'll be able to respond "Regarding the RPG, Hashino and I are..."
  • Psychotext 18 Aug 2010 09:53:28 55,053 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Helloooo Nurse!
  • Everblue 18 Aug 2010 10:07:56 462 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh.
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Aug 2010 10:17:23 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    How much do you want to place on that bet?
    One groat!

Given that the description Everblue provided uses the words "stimulating" and "erotic", I'm fairly confident I'll be a groat up before long.
  • Everblue 18 Aug 2010 10:25:38 462 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It might be just Agarest style fanservice.
  • Lawrens 18 Aug 2010 11:15:09 398 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Day 1!
  • Cappy 18 Aug 2010 11:18:41 12,119 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're definitely planning to sell this in overseas markets. Otherwise they wouldn't have gone multi-format.
  • Everblue 18 Aug 2010 11:22:45 462 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good!
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Aug 2010 11:24:47 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hope you're right, Cappy.

More interesting to me is that fact that they've gone multiformat at all, though. That bodes well for Persona 5 which I was fully expecting to be PS3-only.
  • Cappy 18 Aug 2010 11:29:00 12,119 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm also hoping for a reverse Bayonetta (I think it's a wrestling move which involves lots of tearing and slowdown) on the 360 version. :-D
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Aug 2010 11:32:46 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Squenix did that already with FFXIII didn't they? :-)
  • Spectral 18 Aug 2010 11:35:05 5,021 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds interesting, hope it makes it over here. Its going to be impossible to finish though, how are you supposed to reach the top of an unending stairway?
  • Cappy 18 Aug 2010 11:46:40 12,119 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Squenix did that already with FFXIII didn't they? :-)

Yeah... But it was Final Fantasy XIII. Besides, another taste of what long suffering PS3 owners have to put up with wouldn't hurt.

Ya' wan' the nice toy? Huh?
    Reach for it.
    C'mon reach!
    Reach for the nice toy.

Oh... I see you own a PS3. In that case I'll stamp on it a bit, gives it unique and loveable shape, then it can take a swim in the septic tank. It's all yours then.

Hey c'mon! What's wrong? Reach for the nice toy...
  • Deleted user 18 August 2010 13:04:20
    Tuffty wrote:
    The team behind Persona are making a game (finally) for the HD generation and coming to the 360 & PS3. But it's not Persona. Instead it's an action adventure game known as Catherine. They're marketing it as an adult game:

Scan 1
    Scan 2
    Scan 3
    Scan 4
    Scan 5

And by adult I mean boobs

Source
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Aug 2010 13:07:36 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /bookmarks for later

:-)
  • Rauha 18 Aug 2010 13:09:11 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    They're definitely planning to sell this in overseas markets. Otherwise they wouldn't have gone multi-format.

You think so? I was thinking most ADVs in Japan are usually 360-only, I'm gonna disagree and say its Japan only (and I hope I'm right :p).
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Aug 2010 13:11:47 26,630 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This looks like it could do the seemingly impossible and actually be even more embarrassing to be caught playing by my other half than Bayonetta.
  • Rauha 18 Aug 2010 13:12:39 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm actually suprised this game even got a thread. What's more suprising is that the 360-exclusive My Wife: A Bride Just For You didn't :D

Siliconera: "In this Xbox 360 game players start by making a custom wife. You can choose her looks, voice, and personality. Then start living like a newlywed. According to Idea Factory, means answering love quizzes, sipping orange juice out of the same cup, and choosing swimsuits."
  • LeD 18 Aug 2010 13:13:08 6,314 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Please make it Kinect ready
  • Page

of 16 First / Last

Previous