BioShock Infinite - Irrational games Page 10

• Page

of 80 First / Last

• robthehermit 8 Dec 2012 10:16:11 4,043 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Gambit1977 Nope, Bioshock.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• ecureuil 9 Dec 2012 12:15:15 76,738 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New gameplay video from the VGA's.
  • Dr.Haggard 10 Dec 2012 10:39:38 4,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Am I alone in thinking this looks worse with every gameplay trailer they show?

Yes I was disappointed with how Bioshock turned out, and obviously it'd be silly to expect Irrational to ditch what proved to be a very lucrative formula and risk taking a bit more inspiration from their original vision for that game, but good grief these big battle scenes they keep showing look bloody awful. Even by Bioshock standards.
  • Deleted user 10 December 2012 11:52:18
    Dr.Haggard wrote:

Yes I was disappointed with how Bioshock turned out, and obviously it'd be silly to expect Irrational to ditch what proved to be a very lucrative formula and risk taking a bit more inspiration from their original vision for that game, but good grief these big battle scenes they keep showing look bloody awful. Even by Bioshock standards.
    I'm tending to agree with this. I personally was wanting something a bit slower paced. Odd thing to say I know but I can get my action fix for countless other fps's and was hoping for something different from irrational.
  • ResidentKnievel 10 Dec 2012 11:58:54 6,184 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye, I like that in Bioshock 1 & 2 you had to plan each encounter on the harder difficulty levels.

It may very well be the same here and they're showing off heavy action scenes as to not risk boring people.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• HarryPalmer 10 Dec 2012 12:03:58 3,269 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope so. This looks too action heavy.
  • ecureuil 10 Dec 2012 12:36:03 76,738 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    Plenty of comments on the EG article saying the same thing. I don't get it, it looks absolutely amazing to me. Dripping with atmosphere where it needs to, and mindblowingly good combat sections as evidenced by the new video. I'm more hyped than ever.
  • roz123 10 Dec 2012 12:49:38 7,112 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Reminds me of Bulletstorm
  • Dr.Haggard 10 Dec 2012 13:58:04 4,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    Plenty of comments on the EG article saying the same thing. I don't get it, it looks absolutely amazing to me. Dripping with atmosphere where it needs to, and mindblowingly good combat sections as evidenced by the new video. I'm more hyped than ever.
    This is what I don't understand, I don't see what's mindblowingly good about it. They just don't seem very good at making weighty, satisfying combat - the weapons in Bioshock felt like nerf guns and water balloons, and this looks the same. Something is very off about it but it's hard to put my finger on.

Obviously my main grievance is that I want them to make the spiritual successor to System Shock Levine promised Bioshock would be, but he stopped saying that when they got a sniff of the console shooter market and changed direction. Like I said it's perhaps unfair to expect given that this is a Bioshock game and they're committed to what that means now, but it's still disappointing to see.

Anyway, I could accept that it's primarily a shooter and be happy with that if it wasn't for the fact that the actual combat looks rubbish, just like it was in Bioshock.
  • mikeck 10 Dec 2012 14:01:46 1,934 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wouldn't say the combat was rubbish in Bioshock, but I did think it was much better in the sequel.

It just felt much more substantial and fun. I know it's heresy to say it, as Levine and Irrational didn't make the sequel, but the combat and the hacking where much better in Bioshock 2.
  • ecureuil 10 Dec 2012 14:09:11 76,738 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks like a vast improvement on the combat in Bioshock imo. Enemies look like they have a lot of health, more than it looks like the guns are weak. Loved that huge guy towards the end of the trailer, it brings back the feeling of a Big Daddy with that huge armoured guy. The combat environment is ace as well, a fully 3D arena with combat taking place over multiple levels. I can't think of a shooter that does combat in this way. Usually they're on a horizontal plane, and any vertical combat is more specified. With this, you can quickly gain height and shoot down, or quickly jump down to a lower level, or generally get about the level at a pace you couldn't even approach in Bioshock. Can't believe anyone can watch that video and not be super excited for the game, it looks outstanding, and it will be.
  • ecureuil 10 Dec 2012 14:10:42 76,738 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    I wouldn't say the combat was rubbish in Bioshock, but I did think it was much better in the sequel.

It just felt much more substantial and fun. I know it's heresy to say it, as Levine and Irrational didn't make the sequel, but the combat and the hacking where much better in Bioshock 2.
    This is very true, I actually loved the combat in 2 and didn't care for it in the first game. This definitely looks closer to 2, even though they didn't make it they will have taken from the things that Bioshock 2 did well.
  • King_Edward 10 Dec 2012 14:14:36 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I liked the combat in B1 anyway. It got better in the second and this just looks stunning imo.
  • mikeck 10 Dec 2012 14:19:17 1,934 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm convinced the combat in Infinite will be superior to both previous titles. I also think the story will be a vast improvement on 2, and hopefully at a higher quality than the already sublime storytelling in the original Bioshock.

Bioshock is definitely one of my all-time favourite games, but mostly because of the world, setting, sound and art design. The gameplay was fun, but for me it's all about the look of the game, and the iconic parts of the world like the Big Daddies and Little Sisters.

I think Songbird, and enemies like the Handyman will help cement Infinite as a definite push forward for the franchise.
  • kalel 10 Dec 2012 14:21:34 87,185 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think the combat did get better in the second one, but I also think this will be better.
  • -cerberus- 10 Dec 2012 14:37:59 2,730 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Alternate box art available

"We went and did a tour… around to a bunch of, like, frathouses and places like that. People who were gamers. Not people who read IGN. And [we] said, 'So, have you guys heard of BioShock?' Not a single one of them had heard of it."

Frathouses, lol.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Ged42 10 Dec 2012 20:38:07 7,721 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My understanding of Frathouses is that the majority of the occupants are so drunk/stoned that they probably haven't heard of themselves let alone a game.

Admitedly my knowledge of Frathouses is based mainly on movies like Animal House, but it's still not a great place to do market research.

Something based on this would have cooler.

• ecureuil 10 Dec 2012 20:46:04 76,738 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Games publishers have been doing this for years, I don't see what the fuss is about.
  • -cerberus- 10 Dec 2012 21:02:17 2,730 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Ged42 How about this beauty.

• Deleted user 10 December 2012 21:04:12
    Based on this kind of market research I for one can't wait to see the next Tampax re-brand.

Silhouetted man against a burnished background, tiredly holding a blood drenched tampon over his shoulder with the simple motto "Flow harder".

Edit:: -Cerberus-, that is the business end of an elegant and classic cover art. Want.

Edited by HurbleBurble at 21:07:01 10-12-2012
  • -cerberus- 10 Dec 2012 21:14:07 2,730 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @HurbleBurble Hit that 'Download Printable' link underneath the box art and it's yours for the taking, mate!

• stryker1121 10 Dec 2012 21:42:38 686 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not worried about the action-heavy VGA trailers. They're not going to show the slower-paced stuff at first blush, cuz by gum there's that frat-boy money to think about! In Levine/Irrational I trust until proven otherwise.
  • ecureuil 10 Dec 2012 21:48:02 76,738 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bioshock was massively heavy on combat..
  • Ged42 10 Dec 2012 22:40:46 7,721 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember System Shock 1&2 being rather heavy on the combat, especially on the higher difficulty settings.

A hope inspiring article on Kotaku in response to the negative reactions to the new trailer.

Edited by Ged42 at 22:42:47 10-12-2012
  • Deleted user 10 December 2012 22:43:33
    Wow. 'Hope' and 'inspiring' in the same sentence as 'Kotaku'. These truly are the end times.
  • Triggerhappytel 10 Dec 2012 22:50:17 2,695 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    stryker1121 wrote:
    I'm not worried about the action-heavy VGA trailers. They're not going to show the slower-paced stuff at first blush, cuz by gum there's that frat-boy money to think about! In Levine/Irrational I trust until proven otherwise.
    I agree with this. E3 is the same too; they focus very clearly on the combat and action because they know at these kind of trade shows that's the best way to sell the game in a 300 second slot. I don't really like what I saw in that footage, but I'm not going to assume it's representative of the whole game.
  • ecureuil 10 Dec 2012 22:55:53 76,738 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Was the awesome combat too much for you?
  • crashVoodoo 10 Dec 2012 23:09:10 3,886 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    i thought it looked awesome and its nice to see some of the mechanics of the skyriding finally, i was worrying how easy it would be to traverse the environment.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 23:10:41 10-12-2012

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• stryker1121 11 Dec 2012 02:00:49 686 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Bioshock was massively heavy on combat..
    Of course, just want Infinite to have the same exploration aspects as BioShock to go with all that shooting. That said, the action from the VGA trailer looked good, if a bit chaotic.
  • thedaveeyres 11 Dec 2012 08:36:31 10,929 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Late to the party but holy cow, the VGA trailer was amazing.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Page

of 80 First / Last