BioShock Infinite - Irrational games Page 69

  • Page

    of 80 First / Last

  • nickthegun 12 Aug 2013 09:59:11 59,937 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Devil's Kiss versus that enemy = effective.
    Charge + Gear = super effective.

    I don't want to sound like a cunt, but that game was built to be dominated by vigors. Seeing as how you're dying all the time anyhow, try using Bronco or Crows to give yourself a little breathing space.

    You will enjoy the game a lot more I think. I won't come right out and say that you are being crap at the game, if you want to blame the devs for not explaining it to you properly, because that is a valid complaint. But let's go beyond that. Use your vigors. Master the gameplay mechanics that are there, waiting for you...
    Again, the problem is, on a single playthough on hard, the game actively encourages you to play a certain way and never gives you a break (or the resources) to experiment with the vigors.

    You have to have fore-knowledge of what they do for the later ones to become part of your arsenal because by then your battle plan is completely centered around murder of crows and possession (which, because resources are scare are the only ones you have upgraded).

    I agree that the game is meant to be played with vigors but, again, it does an abjectly poor job of explaining or giving you the chance to do that.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • PenguinJim 12 Aug 2013 10:14:35 5,865 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Silver wasn't scarce for me (on Hard) - didn't you possess every vending machine in sight? Sometimes my salt was a bit low, but it's not like vigors were essential anyway. :p
  • nickthegun 12 Aug 2013 10:19:00 59,937 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was shovelling all of my money into upgrades as soon as I could and, yeah, silver wasnt abundant until probably more than half way through the game, by which time I had settled into a rhythm.

    Also, i didnt possess hardly any vending machines, funnily enough. Initially I saved my salts for enemies and by the time I had enough salts to do it, I had completely forgotten about it.

    By about 3/4, 4/5ths of the way through, the game does finally start throwing money at you so you can upgrade a few things but by then its too late.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • Telepathic.Geometry 12 Aug 2013 10:28:26 11,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The one complaint I do have about this game is the money for lives system... The people most in need of leveling up (people dying all the time) have the least of it.

    On my 1999 mode run-through, I refused to use the door, and reloaded every time, and as a result I uploaded most of my vigors and my weapons of choice. You do that and you'd use them for sure, as they become very salt-efficient...

    || PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

  • PenguinJim 12 Aug 2013 10:49:55 5,865 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, the game is designed for cheat-loading? I see...
  • Mola_Ram 1 Sep 2013 04:50:53 7,399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Does the game ever actually explain about combining vigors? Because I didn't even know about them until someone told me I could blanket guys in flaming crows. It was super effective.

    I do sort of agree that they needed more of those salt dispensers around. I wanted to try out more stuff without running out. As it was, I only ever really used crows and possession, with other things waiting until I came across something that crows weren't effective on. Bronco for crow guys, shock for patriots, water tentacle for handymen.

    But I didn't have nearly enough money to upgrade them.

    Anyway, done now. I enjoyed it, even though the ending was a bit poor in the execution.
  • thefilthandthefury 1 Sep 2013 09:58:02 25,020 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I completed the game and I've only just now found out about combining them, through your post o_O
  • Mola_Ram 1 Sep 2013 10:06:49 7,399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    :D

    It's actually really effective! Using the water one and shocking people works as you would expect it to. There's even an achievement for using all of them.

    Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:07:24 01-09-2013
  • thefilthandthefury 1 Sep 2013 10:08:15 25,020 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think that's the only one I did, at least consciously. I'm sure I accidentally did a few, as I tended to switch between them quite quickly. I didn't realise though!
  • Stranded87 1 Sep 2013 10:18:11 894 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I never knew you could combine vigors either! The game obviously did a great job of explaining that. Oh well, something to try when the proper DLC comes out I guess.
  • -cerberus- 14 Sep 2013 13:06:42 2,870 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    VG247: Checking out the BioShock Infinite: Siege of Columbia board game

    Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

  • Physically_Insane 16 Sep 2013 13:34:37 8,864 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You're a moron.
  • -cerberus- 16 Sep 2013 14:11:31 2,870 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @moron After the first hour of build-up you get to shoot stuff 'n shit for about eight or nine hours. Doesn't this sound right up your alley, moron?

    Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

  • nickthegun 16 Sep 2013 14:37:14 59,937 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I have deciphered that correctly, yeah, they do.

    I cant remember the last game i played where there wasnt at least 20-30 mins of tutorial levels and story building.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • -cerberus- 16 Sep 2013 14:54:10 2,870 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    moron wrote: I assume
    There's the problem. Play through the introduction - preferably until you meet Elizabeth - and get a taste of what the actual game is like. Then you will have an informed and valid opinion.

    And, for the record: compared to the original Bioshock, I disliked Infinite.

    Edited by -cerberus- at 14:56:01 16-09-2013

    Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

  • Deleted user 16 September 2013 15:21:42
    I'd need to give a game more than quarter of an hour before I chucked it, especially one that reviewed as well as Bioshock: Infinite. I'd at least want to see what all the fuss was about. Fifteen minutes? That's pretty harsh.

    Games these days like to have a bit of introductory padding, it's quite normal, and in a game such as Bioshock it enhances the experience by letting you wander and absorb Columbia seeing as you spend the rest of the time shooting bad guys in the face.

    So... @moron. I take it you didn't play Half Life then? Did you chuck it after the monorail ride?
  • CharlieStCloud 16 Sep 2013 16:40:50 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, put it this way.

    ... by judging the game in fifteen minutes means you miss out on not an exceptional story, but one of the best games of this generation therefore the only thing that can be fundamentally said is this:

    Your lost.
  • glaeken 16 Sep 2013 16:45:21 11,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You know I really enjoyed the start of Infinite. I was actually kind of disappointed and found it quite jarring that it was suddenly time to start shooting people in the face. It was just like someone flipped a switch to turn on FPS mode.
  • Kay 16 Sep 2013 16:49:13 17,888 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The irony is, the opening section is actually the best part of the game imo.
  • imamazed 16 Sep 2013 16:51:22 5,620 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's an interesting debate though. I've just started Ass Creed 3. I know many people were put off by the hand-holding and lack of interactivity at the start, but I've loved it, and felt all the more immersed in it because of its tight focus.

    In fact, I'm sort of dreading the familiar side quests, tower climbing etc.
  • ecureuil 16 Sep 2013 19:27:19 76,814 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really like the slow openings. The intro to Infinite was the best part of the game, it's nicely paced and you can really soak the atmosphere in.

    Just because the game doesn't start you off with a gun in your hand and have you murdering people within 30 seconds doesn't mean it's bad. Who's to define what gameplay is anyway? For me, the boat ride and walking up the lighthouse, then slowly being introduced to Columbia is as much gameplay as the shooty bits. It's all part of the package. It's only because you've been programmed by 20 years of videogames that you think you know what defines a game.

    Over the years I've seen people complain when games don't have an end boss, or when they don't have a 10 minute video to close the game out. It's like they can't comprehend a game doing something outside of their own narrow view of how a game should be. Their loss, I suppose.
  • Punctum 16 Sep 2013 20:15:06 936 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    moron wrote:
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    So... @moron. I take it you didn't play Half Life then? Did you chuck it after the monorail ride?
    I think good old cut scenes work better and more importantly are much shorter. Have no complains about RE 5 story
    How can you say 'cut scenes work better' when you haven't given the alternative a chance?

    Out of interest, have you played 'The Last Of Us'?
  • CharlieStCloud 16 Sep 2013 21:10:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    moron wrote:
    Get games from torrents.
    Your name makes perfect sense now.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 16 Sep 2013 21:17:11 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    The irony is, the opening section is actually the best part of the game imo.

    Big time, the opening 3 hours are the highlight. Bioshock 1 was better overall.
  • Page

    of 80 First / Last

Log in or register to reply