Football Manager 2011

• Page

of 31 First / Last

Previous
  • MiniAmin 12 Aug 2010 12:29:23 3,405 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Excuse me if there's a thread for this. I searched but I couldn't locate one.

I was impressed by the interview on the EG front page and I plan to buy this. I haven't played Football Manager for a few years, so i'm certain the improvements will be much more pronounced to me.

Was FM2010 good? How can they improve upon it?
  • Kosmoz 12 Aug 2010 12:31:43 7,693 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only a few posts in the one I made yesterday.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• Grump 22 Sep 2010 08:13:03 1,180 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All those free Sega classics make this a tempting pre-order.
  • TheSaint 22 Sep 2010 09:17:37 14,395 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grump wrote:
    All those free Sega classics make this a tempting pre-order.

Yeah it is tempting but for the last few years someone has popped up with a 17.99 pre order so waiting it out for a bit.
  • Stickman 22 Sep 2010 09:30:32 29,666 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MiniAmin wrote:
    Was FM2010 good? How can they improve upon it?

Yes it was, the best of the series in my opinion. They can make the match engine/experience better though, and I'd like a bit more media interaction outside of pre/post-match conferences. The best sounding thing is the change to contract negotiations though. They've been naff since day 1.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Bmovie 22 Sep 2010 09:34:00 899 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sort out the pointless press conferences and I'll be happy. Sometimes players moan whatever you say!

"Who do you think will win the league?"
    "Us"
    MOAN!

"Team A, B, C..."
    MOAN!

• THFourteen 22 Sep 2010 09:42:47 33,426 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    barely played last years one
  • Buenos_Estente 22 Sep 2010 09:50:49 268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steam says 343 hours on last years one - whoops!

3ds - 3909-7778-4988 / Xbox live - Buenos E
    PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• Bmovie 22 Sep 2010 09:52:45 899 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buenos_Estente wrote:

Mines knocking on 500! In my defense I do tend to leave it on while doing other stuff/just nipping out.
  • Stickman 22 Sep 2010 10:00:56 29,666 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bmovie wrote:
    Buenos_Estente wrote:

Mines knocking on 500! In my defense I do tend to leave it on while doing other stuff/just nipping out.

Yeah, mine's pretty much on whenever I'm at home really, just sitting in the background until I remember to hit space.

I'm doing my usual trick at the moment of suddenly everything clicking and becoming obsessed with it, just in time for the new version to come out and magically make all my tactics not work.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Bmovie 22 Sep 2010 10:40:52 899 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    Bmovie wrote:
    Buenos_Estente wrote:

Yeah, mine's pretty much on whenever I'm at home really, just sitting in the background until I remember to hit space.

I'm doing my usual trick at the moment of suddenly everything clicking and becoming obsessed with it, just in time for the new version to come out and magically make all my tactics not work.

Me too. 4 seasons into a new game and Im addicted again, having hardly played it since March. I'm not going to buy the new one until the new year though, I'm tired of buying it when it comes and basically playtesting it for free. Never seem to be able to start a proper game until the 2nd patch, usually around Xmas.
  • marginwalker 22 Sep 2010 11:16:37 39 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bmovie wrote:
    Sort out the pointless press conferences and I'll be happy. Sometimes players moan whatever you say!

"Us"
    MOAN!

"Team A, B, C..."
    MOAN!

There is a 'no comment' option too ;)

http://bit.ly/bDUfbi
  • Bmovie 22 Sep 2010 11:25:49 899 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    marginwalker wrote:
    Bmovie wrote:

"Us"
    MOAN!

"Team A, B, C..."
    MOAN!

There is a 'no comment' option too ;)

http://bit.ly/bDUfbi

Yeah, but what a completely nondescipt question to reply "No comment" to. Half the time it seems you'd be better off saying no comment to them all.
  • Stickman 22 Sep 2010 11:27:09 29,666 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just send my assistant to all of them now. Yawnsville.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• LionheartDJH 22 Sep 2010 11:27:25 19,457 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There is, but sometimes your players get upset if you refuse to comment on certain things. Sometimes get caught out by it during new signing conferences, and on occasion some players don't like when you don't speak your mind.

Definitely looking forward to 2011 though, the new contract negotiations involving talks with agents look very interesting, and dynamic league rep is a much needed addition. Had a cracking game going on over the summer with Arsenal on 2010, probably my joint best ever along with a glorious 7 year stint at Celtic on FM2008, but looks like I'll be putting it to bed in a month and a bit's time to move on. Looking forward to the chance of firing my own club back into the Prem elite in this year's game.

She dives for cheese pasties

• The_Captain 22 Sep 2010 11:53:46 33 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I didn't play much of 2010, but that's probably because now I'm a working man.

I actually think Football Manager is the reason I got a 2:2 rather than a 2:1 at university.

Football Manager to me was is what Crack is to Pete Doherty.
  • vijay_UK 22 Sep 2010 12:45:49 2,149 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The_Captain wrote:

I actually think Football Manager is the reason I got a 2:2 rather than a 2:1 at university.

It was Championship Manager 97/98 that got me a 2:2, there is no doubt in my mind about that. But what a team I had that year, sheesh.
  • LionheartDJH 22 Sep 2010 12:53:14 19,457 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm in my last year of uni now, but as much as I love FM I don't play it constantly. Seem to have a few days when I'm really in the mood and play a lot of it, then spend a few weeks off and then come back again. Probably the reason I never really get further than 3/4 seasons in any one game (I tend to get bored and start other ones sometimes), but then again I might get a 2:1 because of it ;)

Although it didn't affect my A levels, and I was playing it everyday in the common room on my laptop during free periods and break/lunchtime, on just the one game that was the furthest I've ever got (about 7 and a half seasons I think).

She dives for cheese pasties

• faux_carnation 22 Sep 2010 12:59:18 9,338 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't think I'll bother this year. Got too annoyed with the media interaction stuff last time round. It's been in the game so long now you'd think they would've sorted it out.

TBH, if they can't do it properly, I don't think they should do it all. The old games didn't suffer from not having it.
  • vijay_UK 22 Sep 2010 13:12:19 2,149 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Don't think I'll bother this year. Got too annoyed with the media interaction stuff last time round. It's been in the game so long now you'd think they would've sorted it out.

TBH, if they can't do it properly, I don't think they should do it all. The old games didn't suffer from not having it.

Spot on, Faux. I find FM too long and boring, tons of crap going on. I can barely play a whole season, unlike in the past CM games where I could not get off the game for long periods.
  • Stickman 22 Sep 2010 13:15:03 29,666 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can pretty much ignore all of the media stuff if you want to, it doesn't have to impact on your game. However, you're right that it should be good or not in at all, otherwise it's just pointless.

I try as hard as I can to start up a beef with Sam Allardyce every time and it's just boring.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• The_Captain 23 Sep 2010 12:15:27 33 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    The_Captain wrote:

It was Championship Manager 97/98 that got me a 2:2, there is no doubt in my mind about that. But what a team I had that year, sheesh.

I built up a great team at Liverpool.... but I didn't even get there 'til 10 years after I started.

3 years at Exeter (where I was at uni) taking them from the Conference to the Championship in back to back seasons.
    6 years at Portsmouth, taking them back up to the Premiership at the first attempt and establishing them as a UEFA cup and FA cup winners.
    Then to Liverpool where I won the title lots.

I also took Wales to two World Cups. ^_^
  • vijay_UK 23 Sep 2010 13:17:10 2,149 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good work, Captain.

Oddly enough, it was Liverpool where I usually ended up. My starting point would be Barnet or Wycombe Wanderers, and then onto Crystal Palace before showing off my talent with Liverpool.

Since you did so well in-game, it's a shame (for LFC fans) that you didn't enter football management in r/l..

And Wales to 2 WC's? How on earth did you manage to convince Fergie to release Giggs for any international matches???
  • Bushkinboy84 21 Oct 2010 17:25:59 57 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    cheers downloading now!
  • AaronTurner 21 Oct 2010 17:35:48 7,736 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It just doesn't grab me like it used to.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Oct 2010 19:56:11 17,065 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    It just doesn't grab me like it used to.

I felt that way about 2009, it is my single most played game in my steam library at 124 hrs or some such but even then that's nowhere near what I put into CM97/98. I found a lot of it a bit too stale, hopefully the new match engine will improve things as I fancy a new FM so I look forward to it.

You are a factory of sadness.

• AaronTurner 21 Oct 2010 20:07:00 7,736 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I took Man City for a spin and they played like a 3rd division team. The 3D representation seems poorer then I remember it, plenty of ice skating across the surface.
  • Page

of 31 First / Last

Previous