Batman: Arkham City Page 4

• Page

of 81 First / Last

• SomaticSense 10 Aug 2010 14:04:17 8,337 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Captain_Peach wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Yes, don't have any entirely optional features, that's the way forward!

I don't like knowing theres a whole load of content I can't play just because I don't want to play Co-op. I also don't want to see a great single player game made into a Co-op game where I'm forced to "Choose doors" whilst playing with a stupid Ai I have to baby sit the whole way through just because I want to play the game alone.

This. Just look at Resi 5 and Lost Planet 2 for clear as day examples.

A focused single player game, is MILES better than a single player game with co-op just shoehorned in. And if the co-op isn't just shoehorned in but is a large part of the experience, then you'll be risking alienating the huge amount of fans of the single player original (ala the aforementioned Resi 5 and LP2).

Besides the fact that the isolation of Arkham Asylum worked so well because you were alone. Throwing resources at a co-op mode is such a shitty idea.

But then as long as you get "options", eh?
  • phAge 10 Aug 2010 14:12:03 24,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just find yourself a mate or two.
  • SomaticSense 10 Aug 2010 14:20:00 8,337 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Just find yourself a mate or two.

Yeah, a co-op Dead Space or Silent Hill would also be excellent ideas...
  • Tuffty 11 Aug 2010 01:22:01 1,592 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Further details revealed

Broadcasts? Interrogations? Two face - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=259435

I'm excited.
  • Ged42 11 Aug 2010 09:30:21 7,732 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Catwoman is looking good, miaow indeed.

I hope one of the multi-counters involves knocking two henchmen's heads together.
  • Derblington 1 Sep 2010 16:40:05 21,638 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty.
  • L_Franko Moderator 1 Sep 2010 16:41:57 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I shall look forward to this.
  • chiefian 1 Sep 2010 16:44:05 475 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Brilliant screenshots. Just done a second run through Arkham Asylum and it's such an awesome game.
  • ChthonicEcho 1 Sep 2010 17:07:56 410 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm glad to see they sorted Batman's egg-shaped head. It still looks a bit odd from certain angles, though nowhere near as comically bad as in the first.

Minor aesthetic quibbles aside, I hope they don't screw this up. Even if it's exactly like the first with more content, I'll love it.

Strangely enough, I've recently replayed it and liked it even more than on my first run.
  • Tuffty 3 Sep 2010 19:59:44 1,592 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Found these details on another forum, don't know how true or not as even they don't quote a source, but they seem to indicate what happens in the beginning of the game, as well as a few gameplay details. Spoilers:

- Arkham City is four or five times larger than Arkham Asylum.
    - The game starts by being briefed by Alfred, he explains the Two-Face vs Catwoman situation and you start heading to the area where the two are located.
    - Batman is now much more agile, he is now able to plunge into a dive mid glide to accelerate flight.
    - Two-Face has a gang roaming Arkham City, you will find them wearing face masks replicating their boss'.
    - Criminals who aren't connected with any super villains roam the street.
    - Story suggests that Professor Strange has been kidnapping Gotham citizens who are opposed to Arkham City.
    - One and half years after the original game.
    - Use new detective mode to discover a thugs super villain boss. This will be used to find The Riddlers men.
    - The Riddler is in Arkham City, they hint you are almost certain to come face to face with him.
    - Jack Ryder has been put into Arkham City due to him becoming to close to the truth on the city while working on an expose. Rocksteady were hesitant to reveal what Ryder had uncovered.
    - Your first meeting with Two-Face is early on in the game. You are greeted with him displaying Catwoman tied up side down to a baying crowd of criminals. His two conflicting personalities being voiced out loud.
    - Two-Face decides Catwoman's fate with the iconic coin toss. She gets lucky this time.
    - The first confrontation with Two-Face results in Batman getting shot in the chest only for Catwoman to slip out of her chains and hit Two-Face into the acid she was about to be chucked into. A flirtatious conversation is then held between Catwoman and Batman only to be interrupted by a smiley face sniper dot rolling up Catwoman's suit. The shot is fired and misses her by a whisker.
    - Your first detective mode experience is finding the bullet hole on the floor and figuring out its trajectory.
    - Trajectory reveals the location of the shot. A bell tower housed by the Joker.
    - Joker has a potentially fatal desease.
    - Calendar Man is confirmed.
    - The date and time effect your interaction with Calendar Man, set your console of PC's time a month ahead from last and you will receive a completely different conversation.
    - Batman's launcher has received an upgrade, you can now stop at anytime instead of being forced to the end every time.
    - You are pitted against a lot more thugs at once compared to the original game.
    - Increased amount of combat animations.
    - Phone booths ring only for thugs to stand by it, afraid to answer. Rumours going round suggest anyone that answers these calls end up dead.
    - The mysterious caller ends up being Victor Zsasz, this starts one of many side quests in the game.
    - To start the side quest you must follow a number of ringing phone boxes only to greeted with him at the final one.
    - Co-Op seems to be hinted. Catwoman has very similar combat techniques to Batman when in game.
    - Rocksteady suggest Crime Alley will make an appearance.
    - Rocksteady insist that the only confirmed villains so far are the ones you have seen.
  • SomaticSense 4 Sep 2010 09:51:34 8,337 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That all sounds plausible, except for this:

- The date and time effect your interaction with Calendar Man, set your console of PC's time a month ahead from last and you will receive a completely different conversation.

How will that work, considering that the 360 for example automatically corrects the time the moment you log on? The only way for it to work would be to disconnect yourself from Live, which would be a stupid thing to ask players to do.
  • ChthonicEcho 4 Sep 2010 10:35:16 410 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I also think co-op is mighty unlikely, considering in the Game Informer preview and all screenshots so far show Batman alone. Not to mention that Catwoman is meant to be a romantic interest, which would be very awkward in co-op. Perhaps there is a multiplayer co-op component, but I find it extremely unlikely that the main campaign will include it.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Sep 2010 10:37:31 14,688 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck co op and double fuck mp. Just give me a great single player, like the 1st game (one of the greatest action/adventure games ever) The game is looking mint.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• CosmicFuzz 4 Sep 2010 11:04:09 24,361 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds bloody awesome. I can't wait!!

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• dsmx 4 Sep 2010 12:14:36 7,605 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd love co-op, co op rules. So long as it doesn't impact on the single player experience, maybe they'll only add it for the challenge rooms?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Deleted user 27 September 2010 17:06:36
    looks like Batman: Arkham City is open-world and linear

"So overall, there are elements of both a linear story and more open world adventure. I believe this combination will give the game a completely unique feel while remaining unmistakably authentic to Batman."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=266843
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 27 Sep 2010 17:43:17 1,904 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    That all sounds plausible, except for this:

How will that work, considering that the 360 for example automatically corrects the time the moment you log on? The only way for it to work would be to disconnect yourself from Live, which would be a stupid thing to ask players to do.

I think it means if you go on on different days, you'll hear different things - like Animal Crossing. You don't need to manually set the clock, just wait...

It'd be cool if there was an achievement for speaking to Calendar Man every day of the year :-)
  • CosmicFuzz 27 Sep 2010 17:45:07 24,361 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Hello Batman...

...Merry Christmas."

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• Britesparc Creative, ITV 27 Sep 2010 17:50:01 1,904 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Hello Batman...

...Happy Ascension Sunday."
  • phAge 6 Oct 2010 23:08:32 24,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Playing the first game through again - on Hard this time, and without bothering with the riddles and other non-essential stuff. Almost forgotten how fucking brilliantly crafted this game is, and the vastness of the distance from which the combat system pisses on all other 3rd person brawlers to date. On any system.

Only the use of backtracking stops it from being a 10/10 in my book, and while I don't want to jinx anything I think Arkham City could very well become my GOTY 2011. Can't sodding wait!
  • CosmicFuzz 6 Oct 2010 23:17:19 24,361 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The combat system is fupping marvellous!

• dsmx 6 Oct 2010 23:54:54 7,605 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    However it's so much better on hard, people who haven't played it on hard haven't played it properly. Even if your totally cack handed it's worth playing on hard because the experience is so much better.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• phAge 7 Oct 2010 22:51:23 24,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually, I've changed my mind: there is very little backtracking in AA if you don't bother with all the unlocks/riddles/etc. so I think I might give it a 10/10 still. It is just so incredibly well-crafted, there is tons of freedom in how you want to handle enemy encounters, and the environments are nothing short of gorgeous. Story is nice as well.

They could make Arkham City just like AA, only bigger, and I'd be a happy camper.
  • King_Edward 7 Oct 2010 23:14:49 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It was an exceptionally good game. It let itself down by re-using the boss fight too many times. And the last boss was naff. The combat system was brilliant though, the essence of simplicity.

I still don't like the name of this one. :/
  • phAge 7 Oct 2010 23:21:05 24,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I still don't like the name of this one. :/
    You do realise the reason behind the name though, right?
  • King_Edward 7 Oct 2010 23:27:29 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah. It's not a nerdrage, comic booky sort of dislike. I just don't like the way it sounds.

/shrugs
  • phAge 7 Oct 2010 23:33:18 24,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StarMagic wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    The combat system was brilliant though, the essence of simplicity.

I managed to delete my saves before completing all of the combat challenge rooms. They were awesome fun though. Still I suppose that is incentive to complete the game on hard mode for the achievement and be uber good at kicking arse, the rythm is inspired :)

Did anyone manage to do all the puzzles though? Lots of them left me baffled.
    I managed to do all but 4 or 5, for which I had to turn to Mr. Intarweb for help. Still need to find 6 Joker's Teeth, though. They're just... not there. :(
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Oct 2010 23:44:11 24,361 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only achievement I need is to complete it on hard. Which I will start soon!

• Page

of 81 First / Last