Batman: Arkham City Page 79

• Page

of 81 First / Last

• King_Edward 14 Jul 2012 09:46:43 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Hmm, bought this yesterday but I'm finding that it's no where near as good as the first one. It's not as tight and I'm a few hours in and still wondering what the hell is going on. It just all feels quite messy.
    Just follow the map markers. Pretend the open worldy bit doesn't exist.
  • anon_ 14 Jul 2012 10:11:11 211 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, I played it linearly and stuck to the main campaign. Thought it played out fairly similarly to Arkham Asylum.

Edited by anon_ at 10:22:44 14-07-2012
  • Deleted user 14 July 2012 10:31:32
    I honestly don't know where the criticism comes from toward this game. I started playing it just after finishing AA though, so maybe that gave me a different perspective.

The open world isnn't really open is it? It's nothing like GTA. It's basically all the different zones in AA stitched together rather than going through a loading area.
  • AaronTurner 14 Jul 2012 10:40:41 7,599 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How do you solve the question mark puzzles? I'm in the correct perspective and can see the question mark but the game doesn't seem to solve it.
  • AaronTurner 14 Jul 2012 10:45:33 7,599 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah worked it out, you have to hold the shoulder button whilst in detective mode.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2012 10:51:41
    I lol'd when the Riddler takes the piss when you don't solve his puzzles straight away.

I really should get back to this.
  • AaronTurner 14 Jul 2012 13:05:33 7,599 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck me, is there a way to turn off all the radio chatter? It's literally every 5 seconds they are repeating this shit.
  • Dougs 15 Jul 2012 08:09:20 66,739 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    6.75 on Steam in case people have missed it....
  • Vortex808 3 Aug 2012 09:26:17 6,979 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gah. I hate stages like this where you have to chase people. I have just started working on AC again after a long hiatus.

I am having to chase a ninja from Talia al Ghul's mob. I tried it three times last night, and can stay close each time, then somehow manage to shoot my grapnel gun and fly off in the wrong direction at some point so I lose them.

Twice I have been right beside them trying to hit them, but it appears this chase sequence must be followed to the end regardless. I hate it when they do stuff like that.

I also hate failing when all I really have to do is run after someone. /o\
  • Deleted user 8 August 2012 09:18:11
    I would just like to say whoever at Rocksteady thought the AR training missions were a good idea, I officially want to punch you in the bollocks.

That is all.
  • Vortex808 8 Aug 2012 10:26:16 6,979 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I did some of those, but have now forgotten which ones. Do they disappear from the map once done, or stay there?

Serves me right for playing a little on release and then leaving it for a about a year before going back to it. I quite miss the scarecrow platforming bits from AA. They were a nice change.

I've started trying to focus on the campaign more and not get drawn into side quests which I'm leaving until it's done. That seems to be helping me enjoy it more. The larger city definitely seems to distract from what needs to be done, and dilutes the effect of the story for me quite significantly.
  • Vortex808 8 Aug 2012 10:35:06 6,979 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes I was, but rb was often firing to rooftops behind me.

Bizarrely after all the frustration, I got it the next night first time out. I think tiredness was an issue.
  • Deleted user 8 August 2012 10:35:30
    Hmm he may not have the grapple boost, as you get that once completing so many AR missions. You get 4 easy ones I think, then some tougher ones which I'm doing. Just did one that was pissing me off. It's the fact you need to be so precise with the gliding, which isn't great as Batman will land on lamp posts, fences, benches etc all too easily.

Edit: Just read the above post, ignore my comment.

In a similar grievance to you Vortex, I find the chase to get to a ringing phone to track down Zsasz annoying. The whole grapple boosting over rooftops if very hit and miss.

Edited by Apostle at 10:38:30 08-08-2012

Edited by Apostle at 10:40:35 08-08-2012
  • pauleyc 8 Aug 2012 10:44:19 4,445 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    I would just like to say whoever at Rocksteady thought the AR training missions were a good idea, I officially want to punch you in the bollocks.

That is all.
    The basic ones are rather simple, the advanced ones are nasty. The first advanced one in the Industrial district took me probably around 50 tries before I managed to do it. I finally swallowed my pride and watched this, it showed me how to correct the gliding approach for AAR3 and AAR4.
  • Vortex808 8 Aug 2012 10:53:37 6,979 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    In a similar grievance to you Vortex, I find the chase to get to a ringing phone to track down Zsasz annoying. The whole grapple boosting over rooftops if very hit and miss.

I hear you there mate. You have no idea how happy I was to finish that side mission recently!

Do not try it until you have got the line launcher BTW. I was realy struggling there and videos I watched required freeze bombs. I didn't have them, since I must have gone to do it a bit early. The Line Launcher is enough to do it though.

Edited by Vortex808 at 10:54:16 08-08-2012
  • Deleted user 8 August 2012 10:59:13
    Are you talking about the bit where you confront Zsasz? Oh god, not another annoying boss fight! Some of them make me want to pull my hair out :D

I think I'm missng a gadget, and I don't know where to get it. I'm thinking it might be the one from the steel mill, I read in a few guides one is there. There's certain Riddler trophies I can't get to that have multiple pressure plates, which I assume my missing gadget helps with?
  • Derblington 8 Aug 2012 11:14:06 21,346 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The gadget that helps with the pressure plates is the explody gel.

Edited by Derblington at 11:14:17 08-08-2012
  • roz123 8 Aug 2012 11:14:12 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got back into this recently after being a bit underwhelmed the first time around. Enjoying it a lot more this time, taking it slow, trying to listen in to as much conversations as possible and using mouse and keyboard instead of the 360 pad.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Aug 2012 11:30:42 23,370 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quick question: what exactly is new game plus? Do you lose all riddler trophy progress? I've still got some side quests to finish so am I right in thinking I should finish them off first, but could then do a new game plus whilst continuing to mop up riddler trophies?

Can video games be a force for good? My latest article says yes!

• Vortex808 8 Aug 2012 11:36:56 6,979 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    Are you talking about the bit where you confront Zsasz? Oh god, not another annoying boss fight! Some of them make me want to pull my hair out :D
    I don't want to give too much away, but his hideout is a bit of a p.i.t.a. to get around, and requires equipment to move about the last bit. I almost left to leave it for later, until I figured out how to get round the last bit with the line launcher.

I'm not sure I will even try all the riddler things this time out, there's so many.

I will try all the side quests though.
  • oceanmotion 8 Aug 2012 11:51:53 15,673 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Quick question: what exactly is new game plus? Do you lose all riddler trophy progress? I've still got some side quests to finish so am I right in thinking I should finish them off first, but could then do a new game plus whilst continuing to mop up riddler trophies?
    It's just the same game again but harder with better equipped enemies and all your gadgets, trophies etc. you've got so far carry over. You lose nothing.

I haven't bothered yet, just finishing off the side missions by continuing the current campaign except the Riddler stuff as you need about a bazillion to complete his side mission, think I've rescued two hostages from him but you only get access to each one after a certain amount of trophies etc. which is just a chore at this point.

Edited by oceanmotion at 11:52:50 08-08-2012
  • Deleted user 8 August 2012 12:02:34
    @Derblington Oh is it? I'm sure I tried that, will give it another go. I'm quite enjoying collecting all the Riddler items, it doesn't feel like a chore at all.

Ah ha! That works, thanks Derbs!

@Vortex Sounds like good old boss battle irritation then! Sounds a lot like the Mr Freeze fight.

I was a bit confused about "new game plus" too. Is this a new trend in games? I noticed it in Fez and another that I forget. I highly doubt I'll do it though.

Edited by Apostle at 12:07:10 08-08-2012

Edited by Apostle at 12:19:29 08-08-2012
  • Zidargh 8 Aug 2012 14:09:25 1,669 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For the record, I thought the Mr. Freeze boss fight was awesome. I loved the design for his character.
  • Deleted user 8 August 2012 16:26:07
    Certainly the atmosphere and his armour was spot on. Maybe it was me, I generally suck at games that need skill (Yes I'm looking at you, you know who you are! :p )
  • Deleted user 9 August 2012 09:00:19
    @Vortex808 I did the Zsasz, er, fight, last night. I honestly don't know how I got from one area to the next. Falling into the water seemed like the best option, and I got lucky and climbed up in the right place. Weird. Still he's been one of my favourite characters in the game.

Still enjoying finding all the Riddler puzzles. I like how you can find a Riddler mole in amongst the other gangs and get the locations from him. Smart that. Also completed the VR missions, more luck than judgement I think.

For me this is easily a 10/10, and I'll be buying the GotY edition after I send back my lovefilm copy.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Aug 2012 17:38:03 37,402 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How the pissing hell do you access Harley's Revenge? Steam says I've got it installed and I've completed the game...

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Kostabi 11 Aug 2012 17:44:36 4,878 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have you redeemed the code through Games for Windows? I can't remember if I had to do that with Harley's Revenge or not.
  • Page

of 81 First / Last