Batman: Arkham City Page 77

• Page

of 81 First / Last

• richarddavies 19 Feb 2012 10:42:21 2,625 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah we'll your mum seemed to think I was pretty good at it last night!

Oh yeah I went there. [Spoiler]your mums hole I mean
  • Deleted user 19 February 2012 10:42:48
    richarddavies wrote:
    My problem is the amount of times, THE AMOUNT OF TIMES! I can see someones going to attack. So I press Y expecting him to counter and he ignores it...
    I actually find I y-counter BEFORE the wiggly lines come up. I guess I'm training for new game + where the counter lines disappear.

The only times that you can't counter are:
    1) During an invincible animation, such as doing one of your special moves. Of course, it doesn't matter - you're invincible
    2) When doing the ground takedown, where you are not invincible.

I hope that your problem is that you are trying to counter during a ground takedown, as you can fix this (with time and patience). Don't bother with ground takedowns until you have cleared the field. Either use your batarang knock out special, or get into freeflow perfection - preferably using counter hits - and just bit the shit out of them. I also like to use the stun beatdown (stun, keep hitting 'em) when in freeflow perfection, as the enemies become so slow in freeflow perfection I can get it off without danger.

If you don't understand what I am talking about, I suggest reading this and practising. Then you, too, can be an unstoppable hard bastard like Batman.

Regarding your "two foot hop", Batman has to get a few hits in (2? 3?) before he leaps across the battlefield like an asshole. On your first, second, and maybe third hit he will NOT leap around. This is another reason to keep a flowing combo up - you can deal with anything, anywhere, as you will literally jump across the universe to hit things. I love Batman so much.
  • mikew1985 19 Feb 2012 10:42:55 12,655 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good one.
  • richarddavies 19 Feb 2012 10:47:59 2,625 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Good one.
    Yes she said that aswell.

@stompy

Thanks for the advice. Not played it in a week or too but while I think about it most of the times I had a problem was while I was just attacking one thug and someone else comes up behind and the squiggle comes up. I press Y and he just keeps up beating the guy infront so I get twatted from behind. Though it got a lot easier for me near the end when I found out if I kept tapping Y instead of just pressing it the once. It's success rate went up astromically.

Edited by richarddavies at 10:53:04 19-02-2012
  • FanBoysSuck 19 Feb 2012 10:58:00 1,470 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    While I enjoyed this I though it wasn't as good as Asylum. The open world thing was rubbish and the plot was terrible. The new enemy types sucked as well, especially the knife guys. Back to metrovania please Rocksteady!

For the emperor!

• Deleted user 19 February 2012 11:17:48
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    While I enjoyed this I though it wasn't as good as Asylum. The open world thing was rubbish and the plot was terrible. The new enemy types sucked as well, especially the knife guys. Back to metrovania please Rocksteady!
    While I agree with the Metroidvania comment, there were knife guys in AA. They were uncounterable and could only be hurt if you stunned them.

These knife guys are counterable and hittable without stunnage, therefore keeping your combo up. The non-hittable attribute has been taken on by the armoured dudes, which separates the two problems of 'harder to counter' and 'lose combo if hit'. I think it's a great step forward.
  • FanBoysSuck 19 Feb 2012 12:13:07 1,470 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stompy wrote:
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    While I agree with the Metroidvania comment, there were knife guys in AA. They were uncounterable and could only be hurt if you stunned them.

These knife guys are counterable and hittable without stunnage, therefore keeping your combo up. The non-hittable attribute has been taken on by the armoured dudes, which separates the two problems of 'harder to counter' and 'lose combo if hit'. I think it's a great step forward.
    I clocked AA right before doing AC and I didn't come across any knife guys, the closest thing to them was the stun batton guys who you could jump over. The whole dodging thing ruined the flow of the combat, as did the shield guys. Pretty much all the new combat mechanics were a bad thing, the best part of the batman games was the zen like flow of the combat.

I wouldn't say a step forward as such, more a step sideways I personally didn't like. The refinements to the standard combat were ace though, counters flowed much better compared to the first game.

For the emperor!

• Gaol 19 Feb 2012 12:16:03 2,263 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I always just jump over their heads and hit them in the back. I agree the dodge combo was crap and never really required. I liked using disarm or takedown on all these guys early in a combo.
  • FanBoysSuck 19 Feb 2012 12:26:36 1,470 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    I always just jump over their heads and hit them in the back. I agree the dodge combo was crap and never really required. I liked using disarm or takedown on all these guys early in a combo.
    Exactly what I ended up doing lol. It was a case of if I didn't like the mechanic an enemy used I'd just take them out first.

For the emperor!

• frugtkompot 19 Feb 2012 15:06:10 2,819 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You could point out some aspects of this game that aren't superb, but the criticism of the combat baffles me. Easily the best combat system in ANY game the last 10 years. Fact. It's ground-breakingly refreshing with its simple-to-learn-difficult-to-master.

I've completed all but the Riddler and Watcher in the Skies (when does he ever show up!?), and I don't think I'll play more of the campaign. I really want to finish the rest too, but I don't think it's worth the grinding and / or waiting to do so. I've also become a little tired of surfing the skies of the city to the point where I recognize most of the dialogue by thugs around the city.

Really enjoyed this. A great experience. Much like Arkham Asylum, but with some new ideas and new environments that made it unique on its own. Can't wait to see what Rocksteady does next.

Question: Why hasn't more studios been inspired by some of the great innovations of Batman AA and AC? Like the combat system for instance.
  • RedSparrows 19 Feb 2012 15:12:43 22,265 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ninja Gaiden: Black has never been bettered in terms of combat. I like AA's combat, it's great. But NG is the greatest I've ever played.

/flees
  • SaucyGeoff 21 Feb 2012 09:26:20 2,574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished collecting all the trophies last night. The last riddler room was disappointing. The basic idea was pretty good, but it was way too short/simple.

Anyway still really enjoying this, onwards into ng+.
  • cianchristopher 21 Feb 2012 12:34:30 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Ninja Gaiden: Black has never been bettered in terms of combat. I like AA's combat, it's great. But NG is the greatest I've ever played.

/flees
    Bayonetta's better, I reckon. Bayonetta had pretty much the greatest combat of all-time.
  • BanjoMan 22 Feb 2012 10:13:48 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Target: Renegade on the speccy had the best combat evers. Everything since is wank.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• krushing 22 Feb 2012 10:31:16 777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bring back Yie Ar Kung-Fu!
  • BanjoMan 22 Feb 2012 10:45:40 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /Buchu flying belly attack

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• lavalant 22 Feb 2012 19:52:13 1,276 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:

/flees
    Bayonetta's better, I reckon. Bayonetta had pretty much the greatest combat of all-time.
    I'd say God Hand > Ninja Gaiden Black > Bayonetta > AA
  • frugtkompot 25 Feb 2012 08:57:11 2,819 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What combat is best comments are quite useless unless you explain why.
  • richarddavies 25 Feb 2012 13:15:10 2,625 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    frugtkompot wrote:
    What combat is best comments are quite useless unless you explain why.
    ....Streets of rage 3 has the best combat.
  • genesisknight 21 Mar 2012 23:12:09 8 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Year one Batman Skins

62Y4P-9HDQX-6G44W-W6D49-GF7KZ

P3YFK-KGYKD-JKMD6-C7PPX-RH4RZ

K4DJ2-DHX3P-WFVJ7-3H299-2Q2CZ

4V6X4-4TX2Y-F9DQ6-QHXXQ-PVCKZ

*edit* /\ if used please carry on letting me know /\ ps. more to come later *edit*

;)

Edited by genesisknight at 17:43:47 22-03-2012
  • Zizoo 22 Mar 2012 08:44:35 8,275 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for the code, genesisknight. I used: 44T7R-3PJRV-K6FJJ-WVW42-DQ36Z

Can someone please tell me where I can find Calender Man?

Edited by ZizouFC at 09:29:55 22-03-2012
  • BinaryBob101 22 Mar 2012 08:47:55 22,635 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In the courthouse where you first met Harvey. Go to the back then take a right downstairs.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• Zizoo 22 Mar 2012 09:02:15 8,275 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
  • AccidentProne 22 Mar 2012 09:09:26 1,162 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ooh, cheers genesisknight, took YMKQC-6GPFT-99QTT-6JW9D-F2PGZ.
  • Vortex808 22 Mar 2012 09:12:59 7,063 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks indeed genesisknight, I have yoinked: Q9F4K-3R93J-VKPCF-PGWH4-DMWWZ
  • senso-ji 22 Mar 2012 09:16:26 5,850 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @genesisknight

Cheers. I've used WK6QF-9QC44-FDPQ7-747KW-9THYZ
  • glo 22 Mar 2012 09:43:20 3,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @genesisknight - cheers mate. used WCT3P-F4H6W-7H4FJ-WVHTC-2Y7HZ
  • kinky_mong 22 Mar 2012 10:43:10 10,128 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @genesisknight Thanks, I used Q9GTT-P2TCJ-KQMMP-DJM72-XMYVZ

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• kirinnokoshin 27 Mar 2012 13:22:29 62 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Iím close to finishing the main campaign of AC (Stop Joker) having picked it up a couple of weeks ago and all in all am somewhat disappointed. I donít feel this game deserves the level of praise itís received, and is nowhere near in the same league as other similarly rated games I enjoyed from last year (Skyward Sword, Portal 2 and Dark Souls).

Thereís hardly any new ideas added from Arkham Asylum (dive bombing?), and what youíre left with is essentially an identical game which has simply been spread across a larger playfield. There may be far more side quests and collectibles, but the majority are the shallow Ďtraverse to blinking hexagon on map and push action buttoní variety. The Catwoman additions feel tacked on purely for the sake of including her in the game, as does the brief presence of a number of Batmansí antagonists. Itís as if every gadget and character from the comics had been thrown in as a substitute for new ideas.

The open structure also dilutes the focus that the first game had and Iíve found the main quest less involving as a result. The stealth sections are still fun and rewarding, but the choreographed fighting gimmick has since worn off, exposing it as a simple case of clumsy, numpty button mashing with a few timed counters. To compare the combat in these games to the nuanced precision of Dark Souls, the madcap, seat of your pants insanity of Bayonetta or the defining, immersive one to one motion swordplay of Skyward Sword is an insult.

AA was a good game and a real surprise, but no masterpiece. AC feels like exactly the same game spread more thinly, and as a result the experience has less density and Iíve found it ultimately less engaging. Itís also very easy, and the main campaign is surprisingly brief. The story, not something Iím usually overly fussed about in games is also far weaker than the original.

Keeping your expectations in check is an excellent guideline to enjoying games in my book, but after the gushing praise AC received from all corners of the press, Iím actually taken aback by how underwhelming the whole experience is. I was genuinely expecting a better game than AA, but my overall impression is that it isnít as good. Itís still a solid effort and the production values are top notch, but Iím very surprised that itís been critiqued as a candidate for 2011 game of the year.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by kirinnokoshin at 14:14:26 27-03-2012
  • Page

of 81 First / Last