Random science stories that don't warrant their own threads thread

• Page

of 27 First / Last

Previous
  • sirtacos 4 Aug 2010 01:02:23 7,268 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A universe in every hole? So thinks a Pole.
  • Tremendosaurus 4 Aug 2010 09:11:59 1,197 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hasn't this theory been batted around for years?

He doesn't look like this does he...?
  • Bremenacht 20 Aug 2010 11:41:17 17,613 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Scientists calculate that the universe will probably expand forever by measuring something which might not really exist. :)
  • stephenb 20 Aug 2010 11:53:49 2,731 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tremendosaurus wrote:
    Hasn't this theory been batted around for years?

He doesn't look like this does he...?

Rule 1 of cosmology : If your going to come up with a theory on spatial physics always make sure it can never be proved or debunked :)

Brilliant!

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• Blaketown 20 Aug 2010 14:07:31 4,636 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably not science but this made my jaw drop today.

Not a new story but look at the size of that bloody thing!

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Salaman 20 Aug 2010 14:13:15 18,874 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Scientists calculate that the universe will probably expand forever by measuring something which might not really exist. :)

Knowing the distribution of dark energy tells astronomers that the Universe will continue to get bigger indefinitely.

Eventually it will become a cold, dead wasteland with a temperature approaching what scientists term "absolute zero".

Isn't it already like that to a large degree?
  • Jeepers 20 Aug 2010 14:14:07 13,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:

Knowing the distribution of dark energy tells astronomers that the Universe will continue to get bigger indefinitely.

Eventually it will become a cold, dead wasteland with a temperature approaching what scientists term "absolute zero".

You're thinking of Croydon.
  • RyanDS 20 Aug 2010 14:19:07 9,062 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:

Here we go...

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/end.html

Very good reading.
  • PearOfAnguish 31 Aug 2010 12:10:57 7,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a new show on Discovery called Bad Universe, which is all about bad stuff happening to Earth. It's got that typically bombastic American presentation with overly dramatic music and irritating camera work, but there's some good science bits in there and experiments involving big explosions.
  • Tremendosaurus 1 Sep 2010 09:12:27 1,197 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    There's a new show on Discovery called Bad Universe, which is all about bad stuff happening to Earth. It's got that typically bombastic American presentation with overly dramatic music and irritating camera work, but there's some good science bits in there and experiments involving big explosions.

Ahem :)
  • SirScratchalot 1 Sep 2010 09:16:01 7,872 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    A universe in every hole? So thinks a Pole.
    I'm sticking with the "We're all living in a simulated universe" hypothesis for now thanks!
    Though I suppose one could simulate a universe inside a black hole, hmmmm....
  • sirtacos 27 Sep 2010 13:39:23 7,268 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good repudation of the 'hardship makes you stronger' myth. It's psychology, not hard science, but I found it interesting anyway.
  • RyanDS 27 Sep 2010 13:49:21 9,062 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whoah... Very very interesting statement made in that piece. Would love to see more on this as it seems a very bold claim.

Because parenting behaviors co-occur with children's developing personalities, many parents assume that their behaviors actually shape their children's personalities. The evidence from developmental research overwhelmingly shows that they don't. In fact, the causality is often reversed, as temperamentally-easy children enable their parents to feel competent. Good children often create good parents"

Edit: Just skimmed through the link it gave. It is fairly persuasive on a first galnce but doesn't seem to account for things like teh cycle of domestic violence that is certainly an issue caused by upbringing.
  • phAge 27 Sep 2010 13:58:20 24,337 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Whoah... Very very interesting statement made in that piece. Would love to see more on this as it seems a very bold claim.
    Read a very good book reviewing the "current consensus" in personality research, and that made a very similar statement. Basically, excluding extreme cases of neglect or abuse, childrens personalities are pretty much entirely determined by genetics - not by their parents' actions (that is to say: parents can't "control" their kids' personalities, as their parenting methods will have different effects on biologically different kids).

That competent kids make competent parents isn't entirely surprising in that context.
  • sirtacos 27 Sep 2010 14:17:21 7,268 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I dunno, I'm wary of new theories that place emphasis entirely on one aspect of behavioural development. Behaviour doesn't occur in a vacuum. What's that book called phAge?
  • phAge 27 Sep 2010 14:29:16 24,337 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    I dunno, I'm wary of new theories that place emphasis entirely on one aspect of behavioural development. Behaviour doesn't occur in a vacuum. What's that book called phAge?
    Gnah... For the life of me, I can't remember! It was green/turquoise, and something like "Why we are (the way we are)" and the author was possibly called Daniel. Ahem.

It centered on the Big Five personality model, and one of the main arguments, which was backed up by lots and lots of research, was that about 50% of our personality comes from genetics, while the other 50% come from our upbringing. The catch being that since we are different at birth, parents treating two (non-identical) the same, will end up with two very different kids, personality-wise.

One example was from a a very thorough study demonstrating that two siblings brought up in the same family, are pretty much as different from each other as two complete strangers picked from the street at random.
  • localnotail 27 Sep 2010 14:30:11 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    /senses a glitch in the matrix.

edits: wait, no.

Carry on, my mistake. It was just two identical cats.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• ecureuil 30 Sep 2010 14:56:30 76,526 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gliese 581g is the first world discovered beyond Earth that's the right size and location for life.

"Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can, I would say that the chances for life on this planet are 100 percent. I have almost no doubt about it,"
  • localnotail 30 Sep 2010 15:04:31 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Gliese 581g is the first world discovered beyond Earth that's the right size and location for life.

"Personally, given the ubiquity and propensity of life to flourish wherever it can, I would say that the chances for life on this planet are 100 percent. I have almost no doubt about it,"

/baggsies! no comebacks, no returns

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Sep 2010 15:08:49 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll fight you for it Local.

I shall call it vulcan!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Sep 2010 15:13:40 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Errm also I do believe this news artcile actually warrants it's own thread....

• localnotail 30 Sep 2010 15:13:44 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I'll fight you for it Local.

I shall call it vulcan!

Nuh-uh it's mine already, can't you read? I'm going to call it Douglas.

• Lukey__b 30 Sep 2010 15:15:34 3,725 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's cool. Only 20 light years away as well.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Sep 2010 15:15:54 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You cant call a fucking planet Douglas!

Someone create a thread for this story!

• ecureuil 30 Sep 2010 15:18:47 76,526 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not worth its own thread.
  • mcmonkeyplc 30 Sep 2010 15:19:35 39,387 posts