Any NFL fans? Page 26

• Page

of 37 First / Last

• ronuds 5 Feb 2013 15:40:32 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've always wanted to be a running back.

They usually have the shortest careers, though.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2013 15:49:10
    Running back looks painful.
  • Tryhard 5 Feb 2013 16:29:53 4,025 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Running back is not the glamour position it was pre 1990's.The money is falling off,the length of your average RB's career is 2.57 years.And it is such a passing league now.

I had the most fun playing strong safety.
  • ronuds 5 Feb 2013 16:50:03 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Even though I'm a Jets fan, Barry Sanders was always my favourite player. There are still a few RBs who are glamourous, but you're right that the position isn't as important overall as it used to be.

Pepsi's right in that it is painful as well, but just about any position is - except kicker, of course.
  • fletch7100 5 Feb 2013 17:19:18 7,331 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looking at training with a local team later in the year. Have to get my overall strength and cardio stronger first.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2013 17:31:19
    Rb still very important, a good running game still keeps the defense guessing.

In terrible weather conditions you need to go more to the ground game.
  • ronuds 5 Feb 2013 17:45:52 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Running game is important, but QBs get all of the credit. A lot of teams use the "running back by committee" approach these days as well, meaning individual RBs get the ball less and less. Unlike when Barry was playing and he'd get the ball 35 times a game.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2013 17:48:31
    Alexander at Seahawks the last big name I can think of.

E. Smith of the cowboys was good back in the day.
  • ronuds 5 Feb 2013 17:53:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was living in Dallas when Emmitt played and they were winning all of those Super Bowls.

I hated all of them! Cowboys this and Cowboys that, no matter where you turned. Made my day when Michael Irvin got caught with coke. I met him years later and felt bad about being happy, though.

Of course, upon reflection I realize Emmitt and co. were great players. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
  • fletch7100 5 Feb 2013 18:49:23 7,331 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My favs since first watching the sport. Terrell Davis(too short a career),Jerome Bettis,Christian Okoye ,Sanders,Marcus Allen

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/01/22/terrell-davis-backs-mike-shanahan/
  • ronuds 5 Feb 2013 18:56:23 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved Okoye - The Nigerian Nightmare!!!

He was awesome in Tecmo Bowl too.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2013 19:06:31
    I cant believe patriots only have three superbowls. Both loses to the giants were terrible.
  • fletch7100 5 Feb 2013 19:31:10 7,331 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Should have been watching the Patriots before they had their franchise makeover. Always fun to watch

Following the sport over the years,used to chop and change teams I supported. Finally settled with Denver for some obscure reason. Some very dodgy years at the start. So I used to dread matches against Kanas city going against RBs like Okoye,Allen,Holmes. Even if the most nimble of RBs get the praise I prefer the more direct north/south style of Okoye and Bettis. Nigerian Nightmare and The Bus. Nothing like watching a RB getting tackled and dragging his tackler with him for another 5 yards or so

Remembered the time when Jonah Lomu was at the top of his game. Stories that some NFL teams wanted to bring him to America. Would have been fun seeing him adapting to the game
  • Feanor 5 Feb 2013 19:41:11 14,175 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    I cant believe patriots only have three superbowls. Both loses to the giants were terrible.
    They haven't won since their spy camera tactics were exposed.
  • Tryhard 5 Feb 2013 19:50:52 4,025 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Looking at training with a local team later in the year. Have to get my overall strength and cardio stronger first.
    I was working out too much and trained with the team two nights a week with a game on sunday.I was jogging up a hill as part of all this.When this woman said on the other side of the road, "Watch you don't kill yourself." I jogged on a few steps before it started to sink in that it was weird for a stranger to say this.I looked back and nobody was there.I took the advice and scaled it back.Do not know what happened,but I thought someone was there,and heard the words in my head.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Feb 2013 20:01:38 25,942 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Alexander at Seahawks the last big name I can think of.
    Adrian Peterson says hello in between gentle sobs.
  • ronuds 5 Feb 2013 20:06:37 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ever since it became the Tom Brady Show in NE, they haven't won a SB. They won in the past with defense (and cheating :p).
  • fletch7100 5 Feb 2013 20:23:42 7,331 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tryhard

Have learned the lessons of over training when I was younger. Rest is just as important as training or you suffer from burnout. Maximum work and maximum rest.

Probably just a sub conscious body reaction to your training. Never used to listen to my body when I was younger as I was in fitness related job and had to be at the very best shape I could be in. Older and not in that job no more, so a more relaxed training routine these days.
  • Salaman 5 Feb 2013 23:05:24 19,140 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    I agree with big hits whilst in traffic, or with the receiver about to catch a pass. It's the open field tackling I'm talking about .
    All the "running back" chatter on the next page made me think "well I don't know many AF player's names but I remember Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith. Hmm ... there must be something on the youtubes."

Yes there is!
    Glorious Thurman! Worth it if you have 3 minutes to spare. (best played with sound muted though)

So anyway ... you mentioned big hits in the traffic.
    Sort of suck when you just bounce off though like number 29 here.

Edited by Salaman at 23:22:13 05-02-2013
  • Salaman 5 Feb 2013 23:23:18 19,140 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bruce Smith wasn't too shabby either.
  • Tryhard 6 Feb 2013 00:11:53 4,025 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No mention of Sweetness.
  • fletch7100 6 Feb 2013 05:02:06 7,331 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tryhard

I didn't mention Payton,Simpson,Brown as I know they are at top of the list when it comes to running backs, its Just that I never watched them play in any live matches. I seen them in all the highlight reels, know the talent and history, just wasn't around at the time they were actually playing. So I'm just basing my answers on players I watched at the time.

If you need to tell someone who doesn't follow the sport to recognise them, just have to say Simpson turned into a TV version of cluedo, Chris Rock saying" I'm not saying what he did was right, but I understand" yeah he was in naked gun films as Nordberg. Jim Brown, hey you remember Fireball from that Arnie film The Running Man, Mars Attacks and pretty good in The Dirty Dozen as well

Edited by fletch7100 at 05:06:32 06-02-2013
  • ronuds 6 Feb 2013 13:14:43 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Being a Jets fan, I can appreciate how great Thurman was. He tore them up on a regular basis. He was like butter moving in and out of traffic.

That's when the Jets REALLY stunk, too, so he made them look foolish quite a lot. Although, the Jets have stunk pretty badly more often than not over their history.
  • Tryhard 6 Feb 2013 14:19:26 4,025 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The K-gun offense,Thurman Thomas,Jim Kelly,Andre Reed and sadly a bunch of Superbowl losses.How bad must that have felt?
  • Feanor 6 Feb 2013 14:22:42 14,175 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Barry Sanders was always my favorite RB.
  • Tryhard 6 Feb 2013 14:25:06 4,025 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Feanor Barry Sanders made moves that just made your jaw drop.And you had no words for what you just saw.
  • ronuds 7 Feb 2013 14:02:41 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    9 minutes of Barry vs. various opponents.

Look at how many guys these teams have stacked in the box most of the time. He just runs right by them!
  • ronuds 7 Feb 2013 14:14:42 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Best thing about Barry is that after he scored he handed the ref the ball and walked away. No Barry Shuffle or any other such nonsense.
  • ronuds 27 Jun 2013 15:01:45 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not much NFL news lately, but Pats TE Aaron Hernandez has been charged with murder. Based on the evidence, he sounds pretty effed!!

Timeline of events.

3:23 a.m.: McCauley says surveillance video shows the Altima at a fork in the road. McCauley indicates that one way leads to Hernandez's home, the other down a gravel road where Lloyd's body would later be found. Video shows Hernandez's car going down the gravel road behind a group of industrial buildings.

3:23-3:27: People working the overnight in the industrial park hear gunshots.

3:27: Silver Altima is viewed coming out of gravel road.

3:29: Video at Hernandez's home shows the silver Altima pulling into his driveway.

McCauley states that the distance between where Lloyd's body was found and Hernandez's home is a 2-minute drive.
    What an idiot!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 27 Jun 2013 15:12:13 25,942 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shame it wasn't Gronkowski.
  • Page

of 37 First / Last