• Page

of 40 First / Last

• Captain_America 4 Aug 2010 23:25:51 455 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    Captain_America wrote:
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    Neither Ben or Eli are mediocre QB's. Dilfer had the best defense in the history of the game.

Just go through the SB winning QB's of the last 20 years, you'll get a couple of strange ones ( Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer ) but the rest are all top quality.

Winning in the NFL starts at Quarterback.

It is tough to win it all with an average QB but the examples I stated before are good examples you can do well and go deep in the playoffs with a superior running game and an average QB. You see it every year, Bengals last year as well.

Actually IMO it starts with the lines. If you cant stop the run and protect your quarterback you're not going to do anything. Stick P Manning at the Browns and he will win them 8 games, but there not going to the playoffs.

I think my point is that teams without really solid QB play can get to the playoffs, but they can't do it regularly. The Jets got lucky last year, relatively soft schedule, great line and the most aggressive defense in the league led by a CB having probably the best year you'll ever see from a DB. Good for them, but if Sanchez doesn't improve ( and he will, I rated him highly both in college and his play got a lot better down the stretch ) they'll slip back into the pack.

Offensive line play seems to me to actually be much more related to the QB than is obvious. Brady, Manning, Brees all make those lineman look a lot better than they are. Average QB's do the opposite, often holding the ball and taking the hit rather than making the correct read.

Sure, you can quote individual teams who have got to the playoffs with a strong running game and good defense. Yes it happens. However I'll point to elite QB's taking their teams to the playoffs over numerous years, and going a lot deeper on average.

I don't have the time to do the stats, but I'd estimate 75% of the playoff teams over the last years have 3,500 yard passers going in.

I'm not sure using the Bungals as an example of average QB taking his team in is a good one. Carson Palmer is a very good QB indeed, and once that knee is 100% he'll be a top 10 player at his position.

I think stats and examples for both can be made. I wouldn't personally pick a strong run game but I was just making the point it does win games.

The point about the Bengals was last year Carson Palmer wasn't a great QB he was very average, I agree he used to be a top line QB. Hopefully he does get back there this year.

I think we all know defense wins championships. If you can't make big stops you can't win the important games against top quarterbacks.
  • ronuds 4 Aug 2010 23:31:06 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think you can win one, maybe 2 Superbowls with an average QB - but in order to create a dynasty as teams like the 49ers, Cowboys and Steelers have, you need a top-rated QB at the helm. There's no single stat or fact you can point to for proof, but over the course of history, that seems to have been the case.

In the end, though, you want a QB who knows how to win above all else. If you look at the years the Patriots won the SB with Brady, he didn't exactly have spectacular years statistics wise, but he could get a TD when his team really needed it.
  • LionheartDJH 4 Aug 2010 23:32:45 19,521 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SuperCol84 wrote:
    Cheers guys.

Yeah, absolutely can't wait, trying to cram in as much into 25 days as I can!

OT, but, early/mid Oct should be abou pre-seaosn time for NBA, and playoff time for MLB, right?

Not sure about those two SuperCol as I don't really follow them, but if you're interested in NHL then that season kicks off in late September/early October if you wanted to try catch a game.

She dives for cheese pasties

• ronuds 4 Aug 2010 23:38:40 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NHL games are probably my favourite to attend. NFL games, not so much: It's usually freezing cold, the fans are more hostile, the crowds absolutely huge, and you don't realize how much down time there is in a game until you've watched 22 players walk around doing nothing for 2 of the 3 hours you're at the game.
  • LionheartDJH 4 Aug 2010 23:43:38 19,521 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You've actually been to some ronuds? Nice one, which ones (both NFL and NHL)?

• JBlokeUK 4 Aug 2010 23:45:54 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    Having suffered through a year of the 49ers playing Martz-ball I can tell you the Bears will need a quality offensive line and a QB with a quick release.

Cutler doesn't have a quick release? I saw 4 Bears games live last year and from what I could see he has a quick release and a strong arm to match, he just needed better protection as our O-Line was awful and be a better decision maker, particularly in the red zone!

We still have a few issue on our offensive line going into this season. We'll be weak at Safety, Offensive Line and Receiver this year, but decent-strong everywhere else.

I like it when he's angry.

• ronuds 5 Aug 2010 00:00:46 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    You've actually been to some ronuds? Nice one, which ones (both NFL and NHL)?

I'm in the US, so I go to games once in a while. It's pretty exceedingly expensive these days, especially being in the NY area. You'll pay $5 for a nasty hot dog at these places, and the ticket prices themselves are outrageous.

I've been to the old Giants Stadium a few times, the old Pats home (forget the name) and their new one, Gilette. Gilette is an absolute nightmare - it took the wife and I an hour and a half to drive from the highway exit to the stadium, which is about 3 miles away. We missed the 1st quarter of the game! It didn't help that the fans were loud, rude and obnoxious... although, it was in large part due to the fact that it was the Pats undefeated season. :p

For the NHL, I've only been to Madison Square Garden - I'm a Rangers fan, afterall.

But of course I've been to NBA and MLB games as well. Saw Larry Bird play a couple times - that's probably the best player of any sport I can say I've seen play. Although, I also saw Gretzky play when he was with the Rangers, but that was obviously toward the tail end of his career (I actually got a puck that he used for practice, too! :p)
  • JBlokeUK 5 Aug 2010 00:06:17 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I remember fondly going to the old wembley pre-season games back in the late 80 - early 90's. Saw Denver Broncos vs LA Rams, New Orleans Saints vs LA Raiders and couple of other games I can't remember right now. Great experiences.

Living in Australia now so don't get to go to the regular season games at wembley nowadays :(

• LionheartDJH 5 Aug 2010 00:06:54 19,521 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wow lucky you ronuds :). Sounds a world away from the very occasional Premier League matches that I get to, would love to see some American sport in the flesh someday.

Rangers huh? They're one of the best supported teams aren't they? Sorry to disappoint but I root for the Caps myself :)

And nice one on getting Gretzky's puck! My only sporting memorabillia of any note is autographs from Emiliano Insuá and Maxi Rodriguez. Think you beat me hands down on that one!

• ronuds 5 Aug 2010 00:16:41 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ohhhh, that effing Ovechkin - I hate that guy! What a series they played a couple years ago, right? Obviously for me it turned into an eventual heart breaker, though! :p

Rangers are very well supported, but it rarely results in a good team. They're like the Yankees of the NHL, except they suck and the Yankees are good (if you're not sure what that means, the Yankees have a payroll of 240m+, which is a LOT more than just about any other team in baseball).

I've been around and interested in sports all of my life, so I've picked up memorabilia here and there along the way. It's not a competition, though! :p
  • LionheartDJH 5 Aug 2010 00:26:09 19,521 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haha why? He's pretty cool. Sure I guess he can be an arse at times, but he's a pro sportsman, most of them can be :). You can't really fault a guy who gives out his personal cell phone number on live TV and offers to take the first girl who contacts him out on a date. Don't think we'd ever see a Prem footballer doing that!

Although at the real risk of incurring some wrath here I have only really started following the NHL this season, as my mate got me interested by showing me the game, so I thought it only natural to then take an interest in the sport. So I'm pretty green when it comes to it, but I guess I should look up on some of the recent history (aside from what I know about the 04/05 lockout!)

Ah right, I thought they usually had a good team though, just that that teams like the Red Wings and Penguins were better these days. Yeah randomly found myself reading about the Yankees on wiki one time, even though I'm not really into baseball and I was shocked at how much their bill is compared to the rest of the league. It's the main reason I refuse to buy any Yankees merchandise, despite the fact that I like the look of some of the stuff. Don't want to feel like I'm just adding to the massive advantage they already have.

Yeah that's true, guess you just pick up stuff when you can :). Though I still regret not shaking my hero Steven Gerrard's hand when I had the chance :(.

• ronuds 5 Aug 2010 00:36:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have to hate Ovechkin - he's a great player, in my division, on another team. I hate Crosby and Malkin, too. :p

I can't really say anything bad about the way Ovechkin plays, because he gets the job done. He can be dirty sometimes, but it's the NHL... almost everyone is dirty! I guess if I had to point to anything about him I don't like it would be his seemingly "all-about-me" personality. He's the guy who scores a goal and then skates off to a corner by himself to celebrate as if he's the only person on his team. I don't like that, but it's how a lot of players are these days.

If you just started watching the NHL, the Caps are a good team to be watching right now! They should be pretty good for a long time to come - they're absolutely loaded with talent. They've been decent for a while now, but never really a contender like they are these days. I can see them winning a cup in the near future.

If you don't like the Yankees, it's almost not worth watching baseball these days, imo. They're so far and away better than every other team that you just have to hope someone can magically take down the giant. But I can't honestly see any other team beating them. I hate the Yankees, too! :p

• LionheartDJH 5 Aug 2010 00:46:21 19,521 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah yes I forgot the classic mantra of American sports for a second there :p.

That's true, it's not exactly the best sport to get into if you don't want to be having to dodge punches and checks on occasion. I guess that is true, I wouldn't like that so much, prefer when people celebrate with the team. Although he is the main man and the highest paid player in the league, so I can understand it to a certain extent.

Oh right, I'll endeavor to try and watch some games next season then, or at least keep up on the latest news. Have heard that they're a pretty good team, just seem to struggle at the play-off stage. I saw they were pretty good on my NHL though when I started a GM mode as them, but I just made them a bit better by managing to get the Pens to trade me Sidney Crosby:D

Ah so it's like Man United in the 90's then? ;). I can understand why everyone else hates them though, if there's no real competition then the sport can't be that fun can it? Also I thought American sports were supposed to be pretty fair in terms of player and fund distribution, with salary caps and draft picks and the like in the NFL and NHL. How come it's not the same in the MLB?

• ronuds 5 Aug 2010 00:57:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the Caps kind've blew it in the playoffs last year - they lost to a team they should have easily beaten. It happens.

As for an MLB salary cap - PFFT! The Yankees long-time, and very famous owner, George Steinbrenner, was a big reason why there's no cap. Why would he want one?!? Obviously the players don't want a cap either - they want to earn as much as is humanly possible. The deal is something like the teams with more money share their wealth with those who have less... but it's still not a 1:1 ratio, and the rich teams just keep getting richer - because they're the only teams who can afford to pay more than a few big-name players what they want. A-Rod has a $200m contract, for cryin' out loud.

So when you have one of the most powerful teams in the history of sports, plus the players union not wanting a cap, it's hard to get that rule passed. And, actually, the NFL has no cap this year, either... which is very strange. They have a new bargaining agreement on the table, though, and speculation is that they'll put another cap back in.

• LionheartDJH 5 Aug 2010 01:05:41 19,521 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah true, that's the beauty of sport.

Ah right, it doesn't sound at all fair but I guess that's the way of it. Andy Roddick?! Really?! Only kidding, but seriously how long is that contract for?

Yeah can understand that, but from that would it be fair to assume that the players at other teams are more bothered about their salaries than they are about being able to effectively compete with the Yankees?

Really? I hope they do put one back in, don't want a Yankees style situation happening in the NFL afterall!

• ronuds 5 Aug 2010 01:14:37 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A-Rod is Alex Rodriguez... nicknamed A-Fraud for the fact that he purportedly took steroids earlier in his career. He just hit his 600th career home run today, in fact!

I don't know what the players are thinking. They probably all believe that some day the Yankees will want to pay them big money, and the biggest names still get what they've got coming to them. It's more about the potential of a big payday than it is about winning.

The NFL used to be that way - it would be the same teams year after year on top. Then with free agency and a salary cap, all that changed. My guess is they'll put in a new cap. The owners want it, and they usually get what they want.
  • The-Old-Bill 5 Aug 2010 01:27:53 5,101 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The MLB is a very different beast to the NFL.
  • LionheartDJH 5 Aug 2010 01:46:46 19,521 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Certainly doesn't sound like the game is played in the best spirit then.

Yeah I think it benefits the NFL greatly, and it's good to see different teams reaching the Superbowl every year.

• JBlokeUK 5 Aug 2010 06:55:14 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wish Brett Favre would just bloody hurry up and retire. Not because he plays in the same division as the Bears (We have a decent record against him in recent seasons) but because the whole ''will he won't he'' media circus is getting a little old and boring.

• Captain_America 5 Aug 2010 10:10:57 455 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is. But if he's healthy he should play this season, the Vikings have a good defence, great running back and decent recievers. They are primed so Favre could easily go out on a high maybe even the greatest possible way.
  • Stickman 5 Aug 2010 10:19:08 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are there still places left for this?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Captain_America 5 Aug 2010 11:24:11 455 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I haven't got an invite yet either...
  • kiroquai 5 Aug 2010 11:26:26 262 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've followed the NFL for about a decade on-and-off - really enjoy it, but have to be in the right kind of mood to watch.

Then again, I am possibly the only UK Cleveland Browns fan so that might explain why I sometimes dread watching the games and finding out the scores.
  • JBlokeUK 5 Aug 2010 11:27:32 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Captain_America wrote:
    It is. But if he's healthy he should play this season, the Vikings have a good defence, great running back and decent recievers. They are primed so Favre could easily go out on a high maybe even the greatest possible way.

IF he's healthy, and he was pretty banged up after that Saints game.

On a separate note the 49ers have a great coach ;-)

• Clive_Dunn 5 Aug 2010 12:03:55 4,784 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JBlokeUK wrote:

And Jimmy Raye ! Oh.
  • Captain_America 5 Aug 2010 12:19:03 455 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JBlokeUK wrote:
    Captain_America wrote:

IF he's healthy, and he was pretty banged up after that Saints game.

Singletary's rage after one of his first games in charge is still one of my favourite interviews ever.

I WANT WINNERS! IT'S ABOUT THE TEAM.

NB: Probably should have given that talk to the England football team at the WC. ;)
  • Stringer_Bell 5 Aug 2010 13:25:04 190 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hi guys. Sorry but I had to delete the league and start over as I couldn't change draft times. Please go to this url: Eurogamer Bowl and enter the password 'sportsboard' to join the league (you must have registered on nfl.com first). I have sent an invite to Lionheart, but couldn't see your email rich. With me, rich and lionheart in there, I count seven places left.

Just to reiterate the draft is on Sunday, August 7th, 8pm BST.

Good luck!

'There's no cure for being a c***' - Bronn

• welshben23 5 Aug 2010 13:45:30 1,106 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just joined the Eurogamer Bowl. Silly question sorry, how will the draft work?
  • LionheartDJH 5 Aug 2010 13:51:13 19,521 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers S_B, just accepted. I'm like welshben and could maybe do with a little bit of info on the draft (sorry for being a n00b!). From what I understand we all take turns to choose players, and we can prepare lists beforehand to help us with the selection. Or is it just like a big free-for-all where we're all frantically clicking around to sign up the best players?

Also sorry to be a pedant but Sunday is the 8th, not the 7th. Might want to change it just to avoid confusion :)

• Captain_America 5 Aug 2010 16:05:31 455 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Turns, it works in rounds, your pick depends on your pick in the previous rounds. I.E. If you get to pick first in the first round you will pick last in the second round. To make sure one person doesn't always get the choice of the best players.

Also, joined up and set a reminder for the draft on my phone. Aberdeen Oilers!
  • Page

of 40 First / Last