Any NFL fans?

• Page

of 42 First / Last

Previous
  • Stringer_Bell 3 Aug 2010 00:46:47 190 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been a fan myself since the Panthers' Superbowl run in 03/04. DeShaun Foster's brutal, but brilliant, 1 yard TD run against the Eagles in the NFC Championship game converted me for life I think!

Anyway I'm a big fan and thought if there was enough interest (about 10 people including myself), we could make a eurogamer fantasy league on nfl.com? Never done a fantasy draft (only ever done soccer ones) before but I think it'd be fun.

'There's no cure for being a c***' - Bronn

• BillMurray 3 Aug 2010 00:58:28 7,905 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't wait for the playoffs to come around again. Have Five still got coverage for highlights?
  • LionheartDJH 3 Aug 2010 01:08:53 19,541 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I do like the sport and like to watch games when I can. But although I could probably just about name 11 Colts players I think I'd be a bit out of my depth with a fantasy league thing. Sorry S_B :(.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Stringer_Bell 3 Aug 2010 01:35:09 190 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    I can't wait for the playoffs to come around again. Have Five still got coverage for highlights?

I'm not sure mate. They won't announce anything until about a week before the season starts, so we'll find out by the end of the month. I love Mike, so I hope if Five drop the coverage the BBC pick up the Sunday Night game or something, otherwise it'll be dodgy streaming and ESPN for me.

And Lionheart, there's little stats to help you pick the best players, so you'd have no reason to feel out of your depth!

• dunts 3 Aug 2010 02:20:00 4,217 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:

BBC had coverage of the playoffs last season and Five said it was unlikely they would have it again but as Stringer said we won't know for sure till near the start of the season. Five do have that Saturday morning show, which was new last season.

ESPN will be showing the live game of the week on Mondays.
  • JBlokeUK 3 Aug 2010 03:39:26 2,307 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stringer_Bell wrote:
    Been a fan myself since the Panthers' Superbowl run in 03/04. DeShaun Foster's brutal, but brilliant, 1 yard TD run against the Eagles in the NFC Championship game converted me for life I think!

Anyway I'm a big fan and thought if there was enough interest (about 10 people including myself), we could make a eurogamer fantasy league on nfl.com? Never done a fantasy draft (only ever done soccer ones) before but I think it'd be fun.

BIG, BIG fan of the NFL mate. Been so for the best part of 20 years now, and been a big fan of the Chicago Bears the whole time (Thanks for Julius Peppers btw :D)

Also played a bit of the sport when I was 18 also. I did the fantasy league on NFL.com back around 2000 when I had Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk and Issac Bruce on my team during ''The Greatest Show on Turf'' season. Needless to say I won my league back then so would be interested in a eurogamer fantasy league.

I like it when he's angry.

• KingOfSpain 3 Aug 2010 06:52:02 5,187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been a NFL fan for a year or so now but I think it was the Steelers v Cardinals Super Bowl a couple of years ago that really got me hooked.

Found it quite hard to pick a team at first. It's not something you normally have to worry about in sport. With football you pick the team your dad supported or from the town you where born, but it's not so easy with a sport that's is played on the other side of the ocean and hardly anyone else you know has ever seen a game!

Anyway, in the end I picked the Steelers, simply because I liked the way Big Ben played. Love the way he would gets himself out of trouble and still make a great pass no matter what crazy pressure he's under.

I even got a Steelers shirt for Christmas with Roethlisberger on the back. It's such a shame that he turned out to be the John Terry of the NFL world and has fucked up this season (if not his career) with these sexual assault charges.

Anyway I'm still learning the game and maybe a fantasy football thingy will help me get to know some of the players a bit better. If there is a league running, I'll sign up.
  • Captain_America 3 Aug 2010 09:25:50 455 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been a fan for years. 49ers fan hoping for a good season for us this year.

I'm in a random league on NFL.com FF anyway, so if you make a league I can enter a team.

Discussion point: I wish they'd hurry up and put a rookie salary cap in place like the NBA, the number 1 pick earning 50 million guarenteed having never thrown a pass in the NFL is insanity.
  • JBlokeUK 3 Aug 2010 11:19:52 2,307 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Captain_America wrote:

Discussion point: I wish they'd hurry up and put a rookie salary cap in place like the NBA, the number 1 pick earning 50 million guarenteed having never thrown a pass in the NFL is insanity.

The Raiders did a similar thing with JaMarcus Russell, and look how that turned out?

I do agree with you though, a salary cap for rookies would be a good idea.

• Stickman 3 Aug 2010 11:32:51 29,664 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We do usually do an EG fantasy league each year as it happens, but nothing's been mentioned this year and I'm certainly too lazy to organise it, so go nuts I say!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Captain_America 3 Aug 2010 13:04:16 455 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Someone just needs to set one up on NFL.com they gave there fantasy section a shiny new facelift this season so the league pages are actually useable for banter/trash talking etc.
  • welshben23 3 Aug 2010 13:39:55 1,107 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the NFL. Been a Giants fan since they lost the Super Bowl to Baltimore. I'd certainly try my best to join an EG fantasy league. Are any of you going to the game in Wembley in October? I've got tickets on the half-way line.
  • Captain_America 3 Aug 2010 14:03:11 455 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have tickets. Think im more towards a corner as I had to get em off ebay as I missed the sale due to being a tool.

Get to see my team though, so can't wait.
  • y2rich 3 Aug 2010 14:44:55 1,390 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been a massive Vikings fan since I was a young'un. Already doing a Yahoo and NFL.com fantasy league but I'm sure I could make time for a third
  • ronuds 3 Aug 2010 16:09:22 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd join, but you might want to avoid NFL.com. For one, I don't think they host fantasy anymore (my nfl.com league was transferred to cbs sports), but they used to charge 150 smackers.

ESPN.com hosts a pretty good one with up-to-the-minute stats and all that.
  • Captain_America 3 Aug 2010 18:23:09 455 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The NFL one still exists and is free. I'm in one right now.

Also lol. Favre has retired. Again. Sucks for the guy in my league with him. :p
  • ronuds 3 Aug 2010 19:41:25 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I stand corrected! Not sure why they reassigned my league to cbs sports then.
  • KingOfSpain 3 Aug 2010 20:36:56 5,187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shit, just been catching up with all the NFL news and I'm shocked to see Santiago Holmes has been banned and then traded to the Jets.

He was my 2nd favourite player at the Steelers behind Big Ben and to make matters worse he's moved to my brothers team!

Actually, the worst thing about this news is how late I'm hearing it. I really wish the Beeb or Sky would cover the sport better.
  • LionheartDJH 3 Aug 2010 20:39:24 19,541 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Me too KoS, but unfortunately it won't happen, not with the prevailing "it's just a gayer, slower version of rugby" attitude towards the sport in this country.

• ronuds 3 Aug 2010 20:44:17 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm a Jets fan and pretty excited to have Santonio! :p

You guys need to use the intratewbs more often. All of this info. can be found on many different sites.
  • Stringer_Bell 3 Aug 2010 22:06:09 190 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JBlokeUK wrote:
    Stringer_Bell wrote:

BIG, BIG fan of the NFL mate. Been so for the best part of 20 years now, and been a big fan of the Chicago Bears the whole time (Thanks for Julius Peppers btw :D)

Also played a bit of the sport when I was 18 also. I did the fantasy league on NFL.com back around 2000 when I had Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk and Issac Bruce on my team during ''The Greatest Show on Turf'' season. Needless to say I won my league back then so would be interested in a eurogamer fantasy league.

You can have Peppers. I love the guy, but he just didn't give a flying fuck in that last season with us and was more a hindrance than help.

I am setting up a league, and plan on making the draft live online (I've tried out a mock one and it's actually good fun). You only have to pick Offensive players, and then draft one team's defence (like I chose the Jets' in my little mock draft). I had to pick a time - is 11pm EDT (6pm GMT I think, I'll double check) this sunday alright for everyone participating to set aside about an hour to do the draft?

• y2rich 3 Aug 2010 22:47:30 1,390 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye I can do that I think. You'll need peoples emails for the invites.
  • Stringer_Bell 3 Aug 2010 23:14:57 190 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    invite sent rich

• y2rich 3 Aug 2010 23:16:23 1,390 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye got it. Will accept it all when I'm back at my pc in the morning.
  • LionheartDJH 3 Aug 2010 23:17:32 19,541 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh right go on then S_B, I'll give it a shot, despite my probable uselessness. You say you only have to pick offensive players then draft one team's defense? Guess I could do that. I'll PM you my e-mail address :).

• JBlokeUK 3 Aug 2010 23:43:43 2,307 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stringer_Bell wrote:
    JBlokeUK wrote:
    Stringer_Bell wrote:

You can have Peppers. I love the guy, but he just didn't give a flying fuck in that last season with us and was more a hindrance than help.

I am setting up a league, and plan on making the draft live online (I've tried out a mock one and it's actually good fun). You only have to pick Offensive players, and then draft one team's defence (like I chose the Jets' in my little mock draft). I had to pick a time - is 11pm EDT (6pm GMT I think, I'll double check) this sunday alright for everyone participating to set aside about an hour to do the draft?

Yeah heard a lot about Peppers being ''lazy'', even though he still managed 11.5 sacks (I think) and he's the type of guy that offenses need to plan for, and can play both end positions. Really looking for him to help our D big time this year.

Anyway, I live in Australia now, and 6pm GMT is 3am here, so won't be able to participate in the draft :(

• The-Old-Bill 4 Aug 2010 00:47:55 5,101 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd be interested but can't make Sunday @ 6, I think.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Aug 2010 08:54:42 26,597 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm up for this. Might struggle with Sunday @ 6 but I'll do my best.

Come on you fish!
  • KingOfSpain 4 Aug 2010 09:09:30 5,187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm up for this. 6pm works for me. (although a little later would be better)
  • Captain_America 4 Aug 2010 10:48:45 455 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    6 is a little early I should be able to make it though. If I remember.

On the Peppers discussion, he seems to be a player who takes "plays off". I.E he doesn't give it his all 25% of the time or whatever. However if he causes QB pressure and gets sacks for 75% of the time I think any team would be happy to have him.

Although between him and Tommy Harris the Bears D-Line might be AFK 50% of the game.
  • Page

of 42 First / Last

Previous