PC (HDMI) -> TV problems

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • whatthefu 1 Aug 2010 20:18:47 853 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Connected my radeon 3850 through dvi to hdmi cable and two problems show up.
    When i turn the tv off and back on it just shows a black screen, i have to put the pc into sleep mode and wake it up to get the picture to come back. What can i do to solve this?

Sometimes when I play a game (e.g. SFIV or red faction, but burnout is fine), regardless of resolution, the image isnt full screen, there are black borders around it. I reduced overscan in the catalyst control, this fixed the borders during desktop viewing, but some games arent fixed. How can i fix this?

Thanks.
  • ecureuil 1 Aug 2010 20:20:55 76,526 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't know think there's anything you can do about the fullscreen issue. Mine does the same thing, the image doesn't completely fill to the edges of the screen, and from what I read, there's nothing you can do about it.
  • Dougs 1 Aug 2010 20:31:38 66,713 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, that's a bummer. Thought it was just me and the overscan had resolved it. Bit of a pisser that some games are bordered even at full res.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 1 Aug 2010 22:07:36 535 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have my PC currently attached to a Panasonic plasma through HDMI and DVI converter but haven't encountered any such problems ever. I am using an ATI HD4890 so don't know if there's been any major hardware changes since then (I known mine also pipes sound through the DVI/HDMI). I set the resolution to 1280x720 and there are tiny black borders around the screen but I have no problems with them (not tried playing with overscan as on a 42" screen the problem is non-existent for me).
  • Dirtbox 1 Aug 2010 22:17:48 77,476 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've got a feeling the black borders are related to the refresh rate, you should be able to change the settings for position and size in the radeon CCC, as for the black screen, disable the tv output before turning it off. What TV and what resolution is it?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 1 August 2010 22:25:20
    ecureuil wrote:
    I don't know think there's anything you can do about the fullscreen issue. Mine does the same thing, the image doesn't completely fill to the edges of the screen, and from what I read, there's nothing you can do about it.

alt+enter

That works for me. Press it a few times to cycle through the various modes or whatever.
  • whatthefu 2 Aug 2010 17:35:08 853 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there a way to 'wake up' the pc without putting it to sleep?
    waking up brings the signal back to the tv.

As for disabling the tv output before turning it off, how do i do that?
  • Vortex808 5 May 2012 14:38:36 6,972 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    *Necro-bump*

Help! I have our pc hooked up to an LG LED tv via hdmi. All is well and works great until I set it to stream a live radio commentary of football matches. After 5 - 10mins the tv goes to sleep claiming no signal. When i give the mouse a wiggle it starts the tv again with the commentary still running.

I have switched off the screensaver, so it's not related to that. It only happens when I'm not actively using the pc, mostly pottering in the kitchen or sitting listening on the nearby sofa shouting about my team's inadequacies.

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated.

Edit: I have updated all relevant drivers too, with no joy.

Edited by Vortex808 at 14:40:51 05-05-2012
  • Fake_Blood 5 May 2012 14:55:02 4,077 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Power settings in windows or Energy saver settings on mac.
  • Deleted user 5 May 2012 14:57:55
    lol
  • Vortex808 5 May 2012 15:12:52 6,972 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Power settings in windows or Energy saver settings on mac.
    I think I've checked that already. I'll check again though.
  • Vortex808 5 May 2012 15:18:41 6,972 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    /o\

There we go. I had disabled the main power saving bit, but hadn't adjusted the display settings.

What an eejit.

Thank you!
  • neilka 5 May 2012 15:59:09 15,668 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have you connected the audio cables?
  • sport 31 Jul 2012 10:43:59 12,572 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Trying to get HDMI out to work on my telly but no luck.

1) Currently using an AMD APU with onboard radeon 6530D, so no discrete card. Drivers are up to date as far as I know.
    2) Running on Win 8 Release Preview.
    3) Outputs are VGA, HDMI, DVI
    4) VGA output to monitor fine.
    5) If I plug both VGA and HDMI in and start up PC, the VGA monitor loses signal (switches off). Meanwhile I can see the POST screen and start of Windows boot sequence on TV, but then it just goes blank (TV loses signal).
    6) I haven't tried booting into safe mode yet (will do tonight) to see if I can at least see the desktop.
    7)

I guess I'm just at a loss as to where to start looking. I've ordered a DVI to HDMI converter just to check if that works.
  • Khanivor 31 Jul 2012 11:50:36 40,401 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Check Bios for a display setting; you should be able to choose primary output mode.
  • sport 31 Jul 2012 12:03:10 12,572 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks, will have a play in the BIOS, but like I said, I can see the POST screen and boot sequence on the TV. When it finishes to go to the Desktop, TV goes blank and loses signal.

Wondering if it's the AMD Catalyst Control Centre or something.
  • Whizzo 31 Jul 2012 12:05:40 43,038 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've had no real problems running a VGA monitor and a TV connected via HDMI in Windows 7, it required a bit of dicking around with the CCC to add HDTV modes and some scaling changes.

Windows 8 though I've not tried at home and I'm in no hurry to.

As far as my PC is concerned the HDMI is the computer and VGA is my "projector".

Edited by Whizzo at 12:06:39 31-07-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• snowbored 7 Dec 2012 11:18:54 426 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I am trying to setup my TV, PC and Monitor but having a few issues.

If I put the TV to the HDMI output and the monitor to the analogue, they will both display as I want them to, but when the computer is switched on, the TV won't pick up freeview through the digital tuner unless I unplug the HDMI cable from the computer.

If I connect the TV as the analogue output, my monitor won't display at full resolution but the TV will be fine.

Any ideas? It's a bit annoying having to remove cables every time someone wants to watch tv whilst the computer is on.

I use a radeon HD6670 and CCC
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next