2 Xboxs - 1 Harddrive

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • INSOMANiAC 1 Aug 2010 11:39:25 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im wanting to buy a second Xbox for in work, am I able to just take my harddrive with me in a morning and stick in the new xbox, connect to Xbox live and carry on as usual or are they linked to the machine? I dont want to start a new Gamertag and I dont want to lost precious Achievements !

Cheers

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Derblington 1 Aug 2010 11:40:11 21,646 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's that easy. Plug and play.
  • INSOMANiAC 1 Aug 2010 11:42:40 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice one, Achievement whoring at work, here I come !

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• phAge 1 Aug 2010 11:55:54 24,371 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I assume you are employed by the government, yes?

I JEST! I JEST!
  • INSOMANiAC 1 Aug 2010 11:57:36 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am selfemployed, hence the lazyness.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• weeno 1 Aug 2010 12:25:42 721 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is swapping around hard drives as easy with the new xbox as it was with the old version?
  • Whatsfor 1 Aug 2010 12:28:48 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is this like that two girls one cup video?

One xbox dumps onto the hard drive and the other xbox consumes it?
  • Derblington 1 Aug 2010 12:29:23 21,646 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    weeno wrote:
    Is swapping around hard drives as easy with the new xbox as it was with the old version?

Should be.
  • weeno 1 Aug 2010 12:40:49 721 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    weeno wrote:

Should be.

I've just watched on youtube that you have to remove it from the bottom, bit of a step back as I have my consoles standing vertical and I can easily just pop the drive in and out from the top. I don't care that they redesigned the hard drive but they could have at least kept the bay at the top.
  • Derblington 1 Aug 2010 13:11:47 21,646 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think it's an issue, personally. It looks better, now that it's internal, it's safe, and it's still easily accessible.
  • liamthemaster 1 Aug 2010 13:17:34 1,601 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How would this work with one new xbox and an old one, I'm going to keep the old one up stairs to use for sky player do i have to recover my gamertag everytime i want to use a different one ?
  • Vortex808 1 Aug 2010 13:24:36 7,162 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    liamthemaster wrote:
    How would this work with one new xbox and an old one, I'm going to keep the old one up stairs to use for sky player do i have to recover my gamertag everytime i want to use a different one ?

You could try putting your gamertag save onto a usb stick instead so you didn't have to recover it each time. Would that work- or does that encounter DRM issues of using other machines? I'd hope that if your tag and saves are on the usb it'd be ok?
  • Derblington 1 Aug 2010 13:38:32 21,646 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    liamthemaster wrote:

You could try putting your gamertag save onto a usb stick instead so you didn't have to recover it each time. Would that work- or does that encounter DRM issues of using other machines? I'd hope that if your tag and saves are on the usb it'd be ok?

That's exactly what I do. I have a new machine at home and an old at work. I use an 8gb USB stick to keep my profile on, and I move any savegames/dlc/arcade titles I want to play in the office onto it. It also means that I can download arcade titles in the office as they release, and then transfer them to my 250gb HDD when I get home.

The profile signs in where ever I plug it in, and then it's all active.
  • INSOMANiAC 1 Aug 2010 13:49:50 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thats probably what Ill do then as I fancy getting the new Xbox so Ill keep the new one at home and take my old elite to work

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• convercide 1 Aug 2010 14:07:29 6,038 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    Thread title aroused me.

I'm awaiting the reaction videos on YouTube.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• effinjamie 1 Aug 2010 14:51:24 888 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    have experienced problems accessing DLC doing this. Rockband for example won't let you access DLC on a different machine unless your connected to live

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• Derblington 1 Aug 2010 15:07:07 21,646 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    effinjamie wrote:
    have experienced problems accessing DLC doing this. Rockband for example won't let you access DLC on a different machine unless your connected to live

The live connection is needed to access the content because the drm locks content to the kit it's downloaded to. MS don't intend for the HDD to be portable, only upgradable, as evidenced by their release of memory units and now USB sticks.

It's something I really wish they'd allow (locking content to gamertag/HDD), but I can't see it happening.
  • Jonathan_Fakenham 1 Aug 2010 16:31:19 301 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do a little gaming on my old Arcade at work aswell.

As far as I know, there should be no problems DRM wise as long as you're online with the correct/same gamertag it was downloaded with.
  • Vortex808 1 Aug 2010 18:27:29 7,162 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Derblington wrote:

That's exactly what I do. I have a new machine at home and an old at work. I use an 8gb USB stick to keep my profile on, and I move any savegames/dlc/arcade titles I want to play in the office onto it. It also means that I can download arcade titles in the office as they release, and then transfer them to my 250gb HDD when I get home.

The profile signs in where ever I plug it in, and then it's all active.

That's excellent to know, thanks Derblington.

Should i ever opt to buy a new slim version, well cave in actually as i'd really rather like one,and end up having two 360's in different rooms of the house this is how i planned to get round any drm/save issues. Nice to know it'll actually work like i hoped it would!
  • sanctusmortis 1 Aug 2010 21:13:07 9,631 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I came into this thread expecting something bad.

Thankfully, it's not the gamer's Two Girls One Cup. Phew! :D
  • chasejamie 2 Aug 2010 00:09:57 817 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My gamertag is permanently on a 16gig stick with my saves of the main games I play and is used between 3 consoles. All connected to live and I have had no problems at all. Apart from forgetting to select 'other storage device' when I load a game!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next