Battlefield 3 (PC) Page 173

• Page

of 173 First / Last

Next
  • Gartt 21 Aug 2013 13:25:18 1,748 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just noticed the map packs are all half price on origin at the moment, any of them worth picking up?
    Im finding it tricky to find many decent servers running vanilla+karkand.

Premium edition is sitting at 17.49, which is pretty tempting but Im not sure about it with BF4 around the corner.
  • WoodenSpoon 21 Aug 2013 14:15:40 12,285 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Definitely. The last three map packs have all the best maps in imo.

Close Quarters is just a CoD clone, so you can take it or leave it really.
  • joeymoto108 21 Aug 2013 14:17:42 647 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armored Kill map pack is the dog's bollocks.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• Bananazniper 21 Aug 2013 14:25:06 649 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There is loads of full servers for vanilla, especially now with all the humble bundle players. Scroll down on the server browser and more servers pop up. Regarding the DLC, imo you'll get 17 worth of content even if you only play it for 2 months. I like running around on conquest domination with the MTAR, crossbow and magnum. Great fun.
  • WoodenSpoon 21 Aug 2013 14:27:38 12,285 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's a point, if the MTAR is DLC-only then you should definitely buy.
  • Gartt 21 Aug 2013 15:10:35 1,748 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im almost sold, Ive enjoyed getting back in to BF the last week or so.

Anyone have any idea if it will make a difference if I buy the Premium Edition at 17.49 or the Premium upgrade for 20 as I already own the game, its stupid that the upgrade is more expensive.
  • Dire 21 Aug 2013 16:00:50 1,345 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Premium edition is the game + premium upgrade

Premium upgrade is if you've already got the game.
  • ecureuil 21 Aug 2013 18:01:26 76,874 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    It really really isn't.
  • RedSparrows 21 Aug 2013 18:50:36 22,888 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am Pumpkinist on Origin. I added a number of EGers from the clan. Not that I expect you play this much any more.

It's fun so far, but I've never been a huge BF fan.
  • WoodenSpoon 21 Aug 2013 19:32:10 12,285 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    It really really isn't.
    Please.
  • ecureuil 21 Aug 2013 19:51:05 76,874 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Honestly have you ever even played Call of Duty? Calling it a COD clone just suggests to me you don't really know what you're talking about. On the face of it they look similar but the difference is in the detail. Anyway, Close Quarters is a very good game mode if you have any appreciation of the gunplay in this game. It's really top drawer.
  • WoodenSpoon 21 Aug 2013 20:00:52 12,285 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Of course I've played CoD.

The only noticable difference between CQ and CoD is that you can't sprint around stabbing people in CQ.

CQ is fun in the exact same way that CoD is fun. If you like CoD you'll like CQ.
  • TheDarkKnight 21 Aug 2013 20:29:57 695 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Gartt Could you free up some slots in the EG platoon please Gartt? Would like to play with some good organised players before BF4 drops. Thank you kindly.

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• andytheadequate 21 Aug 2013 21:42:19 8,219 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Of course I've played CoD.

The only noticable difference between CQ and CoD is that you can't sprint around stabbing people in CQ.

CQ is fun in the exact same way that CoD is fun. If you like CoD you'll like CQ.
    I have to agree. Random spawns, close quarters fighting, the same game mode as in CoD and a generally quicker pace to the game...it's definitely a CoD clone. Still, it's not necessarily a bad thing, it makes a nice change from the bigger levels sometimes.
  • ecureuil 21 Aug 2013 21:44:44 76,874 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like Close Quarters but don't like COD because it's too fast paced and the weapons are less fun. It's not really anything like COD to be honest. Only in that it's an FPS with real life weapons.
  • TheDarkKnight 21 Aug 2013 22:15:20 695 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    There is definitely a place for Close Quarters in BF, just like there is for Armoured Kill. I didn't think I'd like CQ at all but it is a fun mode, for a while. Couldn't play it hours on end like the regular maps though.

• andytheadequate 21 Aug 2013 22:25:57 8,219 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I like Close Quarters but don't like COD because it's too fast paced and the weapons are less fun. It's not really anything like COD to be honest. Only in that it's an FPS with real life weapons.
    I honestly don't see why you don't think it's a deliberate copy. What makes it different? It's slightly slower paced but much quicker paced than vanilla BF.

BF3 has modern weapons but plays nothing like CoD, but CQ does.
  • joeymoto108 21 Aug 2013 22:57:03 647 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    IMO it is a deliberate copy. I don't think the controls are responsive enough for CQ to be very effective though, getting kills seems hit and miss due to the occasionally clunky responsiveness of the controls.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• RedSparrows 22 Aug 2013 00:02:41 22,888 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really dislike the default sprint/crouch controls. My little finger hurts.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 22 Aug 2013 04:35:09 2,435 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm still really struggling with k&m controls. I'm just better with a pad. I still lose a few 1 on 1's, but most of the time its due to positioning more than accurate aiming.
    Finally played a couple of the newer maps recently. Not really all that impressed with the palace one. Feels like CoD. Too intricate and far too many corners to watch, its almost impossible to stay alive long enough to enjoy it. Seems like it was designed for consoles.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• TheDarkKnight 22 Aug 2013 07:44:18 695 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I think you can change them from 'hold' key, to 'toggle' on/off. May help.

• D_arkTrooper 22 Aug 2013 13:32:20 1,319 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I think you can change them from 'hold' key, to 'toggle' on/off. May help.
    Any details on how to do this? I've tried to setup my 360 pad the same way as I have it on PS3 but the 'hold' to afterburner/boost is painful on my thumb after a very short while.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• Duffking 22 Aug 2013 13:39:38 7,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I played a bit of this the last 2 days and to my surprise I actually had fun doing so. Had some good rounds, and unlocked the G53 by getting a repair tool kill while defending on Damavand Peak Rush of all things.
  • D_arkTrooper 22 Aug 2013 18:03:04 1,319 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never EVER thought I'd get into the PC version of this, but having got my pad set-up I've been having loadsa fun in the tanks and planes. On foot not so much (but it rarely comes to that) ;-)

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• Duffking 27 Aug 2013 18:41:34 7,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My God Talah Market is awful
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 27 Aug 2013 19:10:25 2,435 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    Thats the one I was on about. Hated it.o

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Duffking 27 Aug 2013 20:16:02 7,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's just a dull spawnrape fest. I'm not really sure what DICE have been thinking with some of the map design in this game. Some of it is downright terrible. Everything's so lacking in flow, no direction to battles at all. All the points are always so close together. And the one occasion they got it right (armoured kill) people bitched. AK was the closest BF3 got to being a proper battlefield game and people complained and I can barely find any AK servers.

Good map design could have really saved this game. With good maps I could have forgiven the godawful hit detection, terrible movement (jump over the wall. Jump over the wall. JUMP OVER THE FUCKING WALL. No don't play the vault animation without me jumping the wall, jump over it. THANKYOU. FINALLY. Now lets go... why the fuck am I stuck on a pavement? It's a 10 cm increase in height. MOVE! MOOOOVE) and annoying suppression mechanics.

I'm hoping the awfulness is from trying to cater to consoles and pc leaving with bastardised maps that are crap with both 64 and 24 players and with BF4 they've gone all out to accommodate 64 players. Quite why they didn't take the BF2 route of designing every map for 64 players and cutting a portion out for smaller counts is beyond me.

Edited by DUFFKING at 20:17:00 27-08-2013
  • Bananazniper 27 Aug 2013 21:04:28 649 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ha, I think Azadi Palace makes up for it. love that map. To be honest I don't mind Talah Market 16v16 rush. The worst map from aftermath is Epicentre imo.
  • Burto83 29 Oct 2013 19:22:21 79 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Curently free on origin with this code

G433-XWLD-ZBW8-JWUC-JDSW
  • Page

of 173 First / Last

Next