Battlefield 3 (PC)

• Page

of 173 First / Last

Previous
  • Rauha 31 Jul 2010 00:38:16 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    An April fools thread, an official unofficial official thread both in the PC section. No clear cut announcement on whether it's coming, until now?

Electronic Arts has announced that the Limited Edition of Medal of Honor will come with an invitation to the Battlefield 3 beta. That comes on top of the weapons, ammo and camoflauge that the Limited Edition already offers. The offer is contingent on the beta coming within 12 months of the release of Medal of Honor. As that game launches on October 12 in North America, you can expect the beta to take place sometime in 2011.

This also comes as the first official announcement of Battlefield 3, which was previously only confirmed to be in development during financial talks. Battlefield 3 will apparently come to Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3. Xbox Live Gold membership will be required for access to the Battlefield 3 beta on Xbox 360.

w00t!
  • Syrette 31 Jul 2010 00:43:21 43,359 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thought it was a PC exclusive.

• Mr-Brett 31 Jul 2010 00:46:25 12,777 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hopefully it is on console too, and I hope DICE actually understand what balancing means this time...

Portable view - Never forget.

• Whizzo 31 Jul 2010 00:49:09 43,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As long as the PC version doesn't have the same feature set I don't really care if it's getting a console version as well but I don't want something on PC being limited because of them.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 31 July 2010 00:49:13
    Oh good. Another consolified version of what used to be a great series is exactly what we needs.
  • dsmx 31 Jul 2010 02:17:47 7,589 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    well there goes any interest I would have in bf3. I still remember the promises made about bf2 and were never delivered, i remember them saying they'd have 128 players maps, I remember them saying they'd give in great mod support. Ah hell now all I'm expecting is 32 players at best with regenerative health.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• BiffTanner 31 Jul 2010 08:47:48 146 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I expect bf3 to be alot like 2 featurewise so bigger maps/more players like than bafd company as that was started as something for consoles anyway.
    But jeez, wait till they announce some stuff before getting all pessimistic guys, you never know what they will do. I would think the pc version be a lot better than bad company as that was something more for the consoles to start with.
  • MerricK 31 Jul 2010 09:09:04 102 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This could be awesome. Bfbc2 is one of the best multiplayer games out there I just hope bf3 isn't full of bugs when realesed!
  • costa_k 31 Jul 2010 10:50:27 260 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This can't be right...Fans have been waiting for a new proper BF for years.Unless the PC and console versions will be completely different,the series have died in 2005 with BF2.
  • coastal 31 Jul 2010 11:03:20 5,382 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apart from a lack of a communication rose in bfbc2 i think they got a decent successor to bf2. All the battlefields on the pc have been awesome including the last one. All have also been shite upon release and only brought up to spec with patches. That's no bother.

The most important aspect for me is squad play and they've put in place a strong emphasis on that in bfbc2. It stands up with the rest of the series.

I would be nice to see sprawling tank battles with 64 a side but in all honesty all my favourites from desert combat mod, bf2 & 2142 were all tight urban maps where you probably don't need so many players.

I'd like to see a change to spawning. I'll purposely play as a spawn point for my squad but it's all a little bit daft. I'd prefer to see six or so players spawn at the last captured flag at a time - so you don't run off into the jungle alone and it has the feel of reinforcements.

And its about time they threw in a few facial characteristics. The detail on these maps are stunning and so are the character models but now in all their splendour their faces look emotionless. It's only noticeable as the graphics level has increased so much.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Rauha 19 Dec 2010 12:52:35 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Planned for the 2nd half of 2011? Link
  • Rauha 19 Dec 2010 12:55:36 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also seems like it's gonna use the Frostbite 2.0 engine:

[u]GDC[/u]
    Speaker/s: Kenny Magnusson (EA DICE)
    Day / Time / Location: TBD
    Track / Format: Visual Arts / Lecture
    Description: This session presents a detailed overview of the new lighting system implemented in DICEs Frostbite 2 engine and how it enables us to stretch the boundaries of lighting in BATTLEFIELD 3 with its highly dynamic, varied and destructible environments
  • frugtkompot 19 Dec 2010 13:00:17 2,819 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, that's been known for some time though :)
  • Lexx87 19 Dec 2010 13:01:22 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good news though!!

Speak the truth hussy!

• frugtkompot 19 Dec 2010 13:02:42 2,819 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's just 1 year after Battlefield BC2. I don't think we'll see it before 2012, and I do hope they take the necessary time to polish it.
  • Rauha 19 Dec 2010 13:03:43 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    frugtkompot wrote:

I did wonder if they'd use a new engine; help to diffrentiate it from the Bad Company series.
  • Rauha 19 Dec 2010 13:06:38 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    frugtkompot wrote:
    That's just 1 year after Battlefield BC2. I don't think we'll see it before 2012, and I do hope they take the necessary time to polish it.

I think BC2 came out around 18 months after BC1 (iirc). Also, don't think EA has a big shooter lined up against for the holidays.

Though 2012 seems likely.
  • frugtkompot 19 Dec 2010 13:43:00 2,819 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rauha wrote:
    frugtkompot wrote:

I did wonder if they'd use a new engine; help to diffrentiate it from the Bad Company series.

It'll probably look a lot like Bad Company. I think the main differentiator will be a larger emphasis on vehicular combat, whereas Bad Company is (originally) geared towards console and a more infantry-based core.
  • FWB 20 Dec 2010 13:36:28 44,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any word on what time period BF3 will be? I know they've done WW2, but I would like them to go back to it again with the new tech.
  • frugtkompot 20 Dec 2010 13:38:46 2,819 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nope, there's not been anything said of that so far, but I'd expect a modern time setting. However, if BFBC2: Vietnam proves a success for them, then we might hope to see some time-specific expansions for BF3 too.

Considering the scale of standard Battlefield (jets, boats, helicopters) etc. I'd be surprised if they'd choose a more limited period for the third one, which EA boasts will be their main FPS to take down COD.
  • FWB 20 Dec 2010 13:41:08 44,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There were plenty of vehicles in WW2 and BF 1942 had a good scale. I suspect you'll be right though and we'll see it set either now or in the not too distant future.
  • frugtkompot 20 Dec 2010 14:56:10 2,819 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The success of BF1943 can't have gone unnoticed, so I'm sure we'll see a return to WW2 in one form or another :)
  • Rauha 20 Dec 2010 15:57:07 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It'll be modern day, I'm pretty sure of it.
  • ronuds 20 Dec 2010 16:09:07 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe more players per team? Especially if there's more emphasis on vehicles, I think more overall players would make sense.

I don't know if it needs more vehicles, though...
  • Lovemoose 20 Dec 2010 16:09:09 999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just bought a copy of Medal of Honour for the PC just for the BF3 Beta access.

Ironically, I don't actually have a PC capable of playing either at the moment.

/is stupid.

/starts saving for a new PC

twitter: @chockey

• Lovemoose 20 Dec 2010 16:09:10 999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just bought a copy of Medal of Honour for the PC just for the BF3 Beta access.

Ironically, I don't actually have a PC capable of playing either at the moment.

/is stupid.

/starts saving for a new PC

twitter: @chockey

• Rauha 20 Dec 2010 16:45:43 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Maybe more players per team? Especially if there's more emphasis on vehicles, I think more overall players would make sense.

I don't know if it needs more vehicles, though...

Not sure if the numbers for console will change 12v12 is perfect imo, even the Killzone devs seem to think so (reduced the player no. for 32 to 24). Obviously, it maybe a different story on PC.

If DICE do go for more vehicles, then yeah increase in player count is likely.

Feel really awkward posting anything about DICE games, there's a fair few employees on this site. And, I'm sure they're hovering over our comments and laughing. Though if you are reading this: Mirror's Edge 2 please :)
  • ronuds 20 Dec 2010 16:54:49 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's there to laugh about?

Laugh at THIS:

( | )

^ my arse, minus the hair
  • Rauha 20 Dec 2010 17:08:42 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    What's there to laugh about?

Laugh at THIS:

( | )

^ my arse, minus the hair

Not appropriate :p I'm stealthy using this thread to throw an appeal for my Mirror's Edge sequel.
  • Page

of 173 First / Last

Previous