(realistic) Timeless Hall of Fame

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Previous
  • SpaceIndaver 28 Jul 2010 17:52:45 45 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Current challenge:
    [u]Broken Sword vs. Mario Galaxy[/u] Cut-off: 12pm GMT 31st July 2010


    Would you like to play... a game?

    I'm working on a list of must-play games that can be realistically bought/played by anyone today. From any era, as long as it's on GoG.com or relatively easy to emulate etc. I'm not talking games you thought were amazing at the time but now seem terrible; there are certain games that are just fantastic and always will be.

    The rules (I know, but keep reading):

    Once we get to 11 games (my lists go to 11), the list is full. If, after that point, you want to add a game to the list, you must pick a game you want to remove in order to replace it with your choice. Give reasons why yours should go in and that should go out. Repeat until stalemate is reached and we're all as happy as we'll ever be with the list.

    Update: When the list is full, the first post to say "I challenge 1: Arkham Asylum with Army of Two" will become the first argument to sort out between ourselves until a verdict is reached. A poll may even be required. Hopefully, as a collective of adults, we can do this without me or anyone else taking charge.

    It's like communism, see?

    I'm torn between Mario Galaxy and Arkham Asylum for my pick, but I'll go with Arkham purely to see if it survives.

    [u]The Eurogamer community's Timeless Top 11:[/u]

    1. Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube, PS2, Wii, PC)
    2. Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2/XBLA)
    3. Doom (PC)
    4. Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS)
    5. The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
    6. Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (PC) - Director's Cut (Wii, DS, iPhone)
    7. Civilisation IV (PC)
    8. World of Warcraft (PC/Mac)
    9. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
    10. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC, 360)
    11. Street Fighter 2 (XBLA)


    Disagree? Challenge one of the games with your pick in this thread.

    Mass debate!



    Bin pile (three strikes and it's disqualified):
    You're In The Movies |
    Modern Warfare 2 |
    Halo 3 |
    Batman: Arkham Asylum |
  • Kosmoz 28 Jul 2010 17:55:18 7,735 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    2. Burnout 3.

    I get the feeling this isn't going to work

    Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

  • heyyo 28 Jul 2010 17:55:21 14,371 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    2. Modern Warfare 2 (PC, 360, PS3)
  • dr_swin 28 Jul 2010 17:55:59 4,907 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I was only allowed one game for the rest of time it would have to be advance wars dual strike.
  • RedSparrows 28 Jul 2010 17:55:59 23,882 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This list is already wrong.

  • FWB 28 Jul 2010 17:57:02 45,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Sims 3.
  • BabyJesus 28 Jul 2010 17:57:04 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    4. Broken Sword
  • TechnoHippy 28 Jul 2010 18:02:20 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    5. Civ 4

    /I must be broken, I can't even spell Civ correctly :-(

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • coda 28 Jul 2010 18:05:55 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    7. You're In The Movies
  • the_dudefather 28 Jul 2010 18:06:29 9,396 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    7: Halo
    8: Halo 2
    9: Halo 3
    10: Halo ODST

    They will need an 11 spot soon enough!

    (ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

  • SpaceIndaver 28 Jul 2010 18:11:17 45 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Read the update for what to do when the list is full. Hopefully this won't be too messy!
  • sunjumper 28 Jul 2010 18:13:53 3,235 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    11: Turrican 2
    Yes it is old but it is still brilliant.
  • convercide 28 Jul 2010 18:15:18 6,163 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're In The Movies is a crappy XBox 360 game that uses the vision cam, not a PC game.

    11. Street Fighter 2

    If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

  • dr_swin 28 Jul 2010 18:16:03 4,907 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I challenge you're in the movies with Shadow of the Collosus. No discussion necessary. Agreed?
  • SpaceIndaver 28 Jul 2010 18:16:17 45 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    convercide wrote:
    You're In The Movies is a crappy XBox 360 game that uses the vision cam, not a PC game.

    11. Street Fighter 2
    I was thinking of The Movies! D'oh!

    dr_swin wrote:
    I challenge you're in the movies with Shadow of the Collosus. No discussion necessary. Agreed?

    Done!
  • Rufus 28 Jul 2010 18:19:52 1,754 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why is Street Fighter 2 the XBLA version?

    11. Street Fighter 2 Turbo - SNES version.
  • SpaceIndaver 28 Jul 2010 18:21:52 45 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rufus wrote:
    Why is Street Fighter 2 the XBLA version?

    11. Street Fighter 2 Turbo - SNES version.
    The most available version. SNES is pretty rare to find nowadays (rarer than an Xbox Live account at least).
  • Rufus 28 Jul 2010 18:26:09 1,754 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SpaceIndaver wrote:

    The most available version. SNES is pretty rare to find nowadays (rarer than an Xbox Live account at least).

    Ah, fair do's then! Sorry about that!



  • SpaceIndaver 28 Jul 2010 18:29:35 45 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rufus wrote:
    SpaceIndaver wrote:

    The most available version. SNES is pretty rare to find nowadays (rarer than an Xbox Live account at least).

    Ah, fair do's then! Sorry about that!



    It was a fair point!

    Broken Sword made it in because of the director's cut versions and I think there's a PC version that works on XP?
  • Vortex808 28 Jul 2010 18:29:51 7,472 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doom/Doom 2. Still fantastic fun. I challenge modern warfare 2 with this. It's not even as good as COD4: modern warfare!
  • dr_swin 28 Jul 2010 18:30:29 4,907 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty ludicrous discussing the relative merits of SotC against 'you're in the movies'. One is a classic thought provoking action game that made you challenge the motives of your quest and created a strong empathic response with the creatures you were slaying. The other is a broken piece of crap that doesn't work properly and was only submitted by Coda as a Joke entry.
  • SpaceIndaver 28 Jul 2010 18:31:43 45 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The only argument for/against either of the current two challengers is the adjective of "crappy" used to refer to You're in The Movies. If no one comes with a decent counter-argument I'm happy to let that count as discussion over because... well, come on.

    Edit:
    dr_swin wrote:
    Pretty ludicrous discussing the relative merits of SotC against 'you're in the movies'. One is a classic thought provoking action game that made you challenge the motives of your quest and created a strong empathic response with the creatures you were slaying. The other is a broken piece of crap that doesn't work properly and was only submitted by Coda as a Joke entry.
    All in favour? :/
  • BabyJesus 28 Jul 2010 18:31:58 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SpaceIndaver wrote:
    Rufus wrote:
    SpaceIndaver wrote:

    The most available version. SNES is pretty rare to find nowadays (rarer than an Xbox Live account at least).

    Ah, fair do's then! Sorry about that!



    It was a fair point!

    Broken Sword made it in because of the director's cut versions and I think there's a PC version that works on XP?

    Yep Broken Sword is on GOG.com and still works great in xp.
  • SpaceIndaver 28 Jul 2010 18:37:27 45 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Updated with Modern Warfare 2 vs. Doom. First proper challenge.
  • BabyJesus 28 Jul 2010 18:40:05 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doom wins, it practically invented the genre and if it wasn't for Doom MW2 wouldn't exist.

    People still make mods for Doom to this day, and it is up there with one of the most influential designs in game making history.
  • SpaceIndaver 28 Jul 2010 18:42:25 45 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BabyJesus wrote:
    Doom wins, it practically invented the genre and if it wasn't for Doom MW2 wouldn't exist.

    People still make mods for Doom to this day, and it is up there with one of the most influential designs in game making history.
    Not saying you're wrong, but does that mean it's better to play today? It might deserve to win awards for its innovation and whatnot, but if you were being offered 2 hours on one game, which would you pick? I think I'd go for MW. I don't personally like it, but it would be more fun than clogging around on one plane, much as I loved Doom back in the day.
  • dr_swin 28 Jul 2010 18:42:28 4,907 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I agree. Doom is a more important game than MW2. I think I had more fun playing Doom at the time than I did playing MW2.
  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply