The **OFFICIAL** Starcraft 2 Thread Page 54

• Page

of 54 First / Last

Next
  • Architect_z 25 Mar 2013 17:15:53 2,385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ooooo I like warp prism drops. ^_^

Especially when dropping chargelots. Muhahahahaha!!!!
  • disusedgenius 25 Mar 2013 17:33:08 5,514 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's nothing worse that setting up an beautifully positioned front of overlapping tank lines leading from your expansion to your opponents then hearing that sodding slashing sound coming from your base. :(

Of course the times that a Zerg tried to barrel though your lines with roach hydra kinda makes up for it. He called me imba, I was so happy. ^_^
  • Architect_z 25 Mar 2013 17:51:14 2,385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or the realisation that Dark Templar are hacking away at your harvesters.
    I havent DT rushed for ages. Might have to try it out on someone tonight.
  • disusedgenius 25 Mar 2013 17:57:08 5,514 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've generally got into the habit of sticking a turret and bunker down as soon as I get an ebay up. Between the oracles, mutas, DTs and medivac drops I think it's pretty essential at the moment. People going heavy DTs is always kinda adorable - you just feel like you're kicking a puppy or something (unless I've forgotten said ebay).

And yes, I decided to stick with Terran. I can't abide being THIS bad at a RTS faction!
  • Architect_z 25 Mar 2013 18:25:12 2,385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I loved playing as Terran, I wish I could still play as them, but I find Terran too difficult. I'm much better as Protoss. I know exactly when to do stuff with protoss, whether with Terran, I find i'm making marines, marauders, medivacs and tanks, but then I never seem to get any units past that or tech up.
    Have no idea how to play as zerg
  • disusedgenius 25 Mar 2013 18:36:32 5,514 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At the moment I'm trying to go marine/mine/banshee into tank/firebat/raven. It's... tricky. Basically skip all the marine upgrades and get up to Armoury tech as soon as possible, concentrating on mech upgrades. Certainly losing more than I win and and mistakes seem to get magnified. If they wipe out my army, there's not another one coming for a long, long time!

Plus there's those moments where I realise I'm floating a couple of grand and have to spam 5 factories and 5 Starports to catch up production. Then I realise that I forgot to build supply depots. >.<
  • vijay_UK 25 Mar 2013 18:57:44 2,316 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    I loved playing as Terran, I wish I could still play as them, but I find Terran too difficult. I'm much better as Protoss. I know exactly when to do stuff with protoss, whether with Terran, I find i'm making marines, marauders, medivacs and tanks, but then I never seem to get any units past that or tech up.
    Have no idea how to play as zerg
    It's worth learning how the Zerg play, could improve your Protoss strategies against them. In fact it's a good idea to learn (at least in unranked matches) how to play all 3 races.

Early game play ofc is key to how you do in the rest of the game, something that I am finding a little difficult in HoTS. Hope to see more players in the Eurogamer group, seems rather deserted since it was created last week.
  • disusedgenius 25 Mar 2013 19:02:59 5,514 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Eurogamer Group?

As in a group in Eurogamer or a group in Starcraft?
  • vijay_UK 25 Mar 2013 19:05:16 2,316 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Eurogamer Group?

As in a group in Eurogamer or a group in Starcraft?
    Group in StarCraft II. Here are the details:

EG 'StarCraft II - Heart of the Swarm' - MP GROUP

A Eurogamer group has been created in-game:

Group name: Eurogamer
    Type: Strategy & Coaching
  • disusedgenius 25 Mar 2013 19:05:51 5,514 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't even realise such things existed!
  • vijay_UK 25 Mar 2013 19:09:13 2,316 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I didn't even realise such things existed!
    Yup - get in there! Good way for a group of people to group (!) up and battle.

Should be no quibbles - the SCII interface is polished, so it's just down to players to make the effort and click a few buttons & play.
  • Architect_z 26 Mar 2013 12:02:40 2,385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can n00bs apply?
  • Sharzam 27 Mar 2013 11:38:21 3,165 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Architect_z

Hope so or iam about to get kicked.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Architect_z 27 Mar 2013 12:14:12 2,385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Sharzam - I'm sure you're much better than I am at this game anyway.

At the moment I keep switching between protoss and terran, I think i'm gonna play a few games as Zerg and see if I like them. I currenly find Terran to be the most fun to play as.

I wish I was better at this game
  • vijay_UK 28 Mar 2013 12:57:09 2,316 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's worth having a look at some Bronze League Heroes matches posted on HuskyStarcraft (http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft) - some of these matches are hilarious.

As much as I enjoy watching pro-games, they can be predictable in that you won't get rushes/cheeses and are free to expand early.

The BLH matches are a bit more down to earth for the normal players - some are (thankfully) light years away from the Korean experts.
  • vijay_UK 29 Mar 2013 16:13:39 2,316 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The funniest match I've ever seen, quite astonishing tbh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8onkv0eEfXo&list=UUZ8D7Qvm0YHm0vZKFl-AFdA&index=2

It's like a 25min comedy sketch.
  • RobAnybody 13 Apr 2013 17:31:46 942 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thought I'd give the Starter Edition of SC2 a go - isn't it supposed to be 7GB in size? My download (still ongoing) is reporting a size of 13.4GB ..... ).

Extra cinematics maybe?
  • Sharzam 14 Apr 2013 16:10:50 3,165 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the starter is actually the full game. The only difference is what you can actually access, once you enter a retail key you then get full access.

My full patched folder is 13.5GB.

Edited by Sharzam at 16:11:12 14-04-2013

• M83J01P97 14 Apr 2013 16:14:34 6,699 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, you just download the full game, which now includes HoTS. Same thing when you download the free version of WoW as well. There is logic behind it as if you decide to purchase you don't have to wait any longer to get playing.
  • RobAnybody 14 Apr 2013 16:15:54 942 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks guys. :)
  • RobAnybody 16 Apr 2013 20:02:50 942 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As the total and utter SC2 noob that I am, can anyone recommend a really great set of YouTube tutorials that takes you through the basics and onwards? There are so many on YouTube that I don't feel like grinding through the 'poor' ones to find some good ones.

I mean everything, from how many SCVs is the preferred number to mine gas (3 I believe), how best to assign your keys, etc, etc, etc.

Ta.
  • M83J01P97 16 Apr 2013 20:05:18 6,699 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is a great in game tutorial mode now, will guide you through a series of matches telling you what to build and when. Just play through those and it will teach you the basics you need to delve into a few unranked matches.
  • RobAnybody 16 Apr 2013 20:20:43 942 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks - I've been through the tutorials but they don't really seem to go into much depth at all (for example, barely anything is mentioned about the keys, navigating via the map, etc).
  • Sharzam 16 Apr 2013 20:29:10 3,165 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The biggest hurdle is using the keyboard as apposed to just clicking the mouse. Mouse clicking will only get you so far as it is just not fast enough.

The tutorial is just to give you an idea of the basic build order to start you off with, as only experience can teach you tactics.

My advice would be force yourself to use the keyboard shortcuts which will initially slow you down as you will have to keep looking to see what they are but it will pay off. Start but hot keying some control groups with Ctrl+Number such as your nexus on 4. Eventually pressing '4' then 'E' for a probe will be second nature. I am not a good player as i am just to slow but you basically just have to break old habits and try to use keyboard more.

No tutorial in the world can make you press keyboard when you naturally want to use the mouse. The hotkeys themselves are highligted in the UI for every unit (such as idle unit, F1) and the game uses standard RTS key binds in other places. Also watch some professional games if you fancy it, might give you ideas WCS is currently on http://www.twitch.tv/wcs_europe

Edited by Sharzam at 21:40:29 16-04-2013

• disusedgenius 16 Apr 2013 22:17:18 5,514 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Build orders can be found all over the place, but Day[9] did a couple of great episodes about pure mechanics. They're old, but should still be relevant:

http://day9.tv/d/Day9/day9-daily-252-secrets-of-hotkeys-apm-and-mouse-movement/

http://day9.tv/d/Day9/day9-daily-261-newbie-tuesday-mechanics-2/
  • RobAnybody 16 Apr 2013 22:23:03 942 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thank you kindly folks. :)
  • DPRBassman 27 Apr 2013 08:38:54 79 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Filter starcraft does a good series, should watch his WoL bronze to masters series first, really helps with the basics. He streams regularly too.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/filtersc
    http://www.twitch.tv/filtersc
  • Phattso Moderator 9 Nov 2013 08:21:38 13,762 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After three long years I finally finished Starcraft II: Wings of Blah Blah.

I think playing it on Normal was a mistake, and even though I could've upped the challenge at any point I just wanted a trouble-free run to the finale and it all ended up as something of a damp squib. Talk about ruining a game for yourself. :-/

After a few months to reflect, how did you folks like Heart of the Swarm? If I do pick it up, it'll be for playing on Hard this time fo' sho'.
  • SuperBas 10 Nov 2013 17:58:55 1,478 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HotS has a better campaign, no question.
  • viegasn 27 Apr 2014 17:51:19 15,005 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Impact made it to the Round of 4 on DHOpen
    The kid actualy has a shot at it.

Podcast #55
    Gajo Incrivel em Geral
    Vice-Presidente e Membro da CSEP
    "Sou o maior gangster da minha praceta"

• Page

of 54 First / Last

Next