The **OFFICIAL** Starcraft 2 Thread Page 48

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• mumtoucher 21 Jun 2011 17:13:45 263 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    if anyone wants to add me, Demandred (147)

always up for some SC2 either practice custom games or some team play.
  • Pirotic Moderator 21 Jun 2011 19:37:59 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Come on then, who's up for showing some guys what us EG'ers are made of!

(hopefully Win!)
  • mumtoucher 21 Jun 2011 22:02:12 263 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    good games Pirotic, we showed 'em. Shame about the last match. I think we threw that one away.

1 more placement - hopefully we get put into a good league.
  • Pirotic Moderator 22 Jun 2011 19:30:27 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Indeed, was kicking myself in that last game - could easily have won it if I'd made a few different decisions. Was paranoid about expanding because of banes and mutas, heck, if I had just built bunkers by the ramp out of their main base during our comeback his thors would have been screwed.
  • richispsycho 25 Jun 2011 12:12:05 710 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kinda getting back into this after a long absence.

I'm not up to a decent standard but feel free to add me if you're up for a game (or two).

Psy 881.
  • mumtoucher 26 Jun 2011 15:12:20 263 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pirotic. 1 word...... DIAMOND
  • Pirotic Moderator 28 Jun 2011 18:42:08 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll be on about 8 o'clock if anybody fancies some more hot team action, been practising protos all week - loving high templars, especially when combined with a few sentries - use a few force fields to clump the enemy together and spam the Psionic Storm ;)
  • FooAtari 9 Aug 2011 10:44:57 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anyone tried upgrading the stater edition with a physical copy of the game? Did it work OK?

44.99 for the digital edition is ridiculous, especially when it can be had for 30.

Edit
    Nevermind, looked at the account management page and their is an option to enter an authetication key. So should work fine.
  • DiamondIce 1 Sep 2011 13:07:34 1,185 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I received a guest pass card in a game I ordered. I have no idea what it is but somebody might find a use for it here.

The code is:

6XFKDN-H2ZW-6MVETP-YFZZ-DFMM7F

Redeem at: www.starcraft2.com/guest

FLOPS! RAM!

• steadynedy 2 Sep 2011 10:23:42 112 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Been trying to get into the multiplayer side of this over the last week. Never played RTS' before as pvp games but boy to i suck!

I know the basics in my head, ie constantly make workers, scout, never get supply blocked, keep your resources low, have a plan etc

But executing it is a different matter! Getting my ass handed to me while making hilarious blunders but hey, it's fun!
  • disusedgenius 2 Sep 2011 10:44:12 5,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    steadynedy wrote:
    But executing it is a different matter! Getting my ass handed to me while making hilarious blunders but hey, it's fun!
    Check out Day[9]'s Newbie Tuesday episodes on game mechanics. Very helpful, even if I'm still a shitty silver level due to having this blasted 'job' thing getting in the way...
  • [maven] 2 Sep 2011 11:56:29 5,152 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, this weekend gomtv has all their VODs available to watch for free, there's some really excellent matches there (for example GSL May NesTea vs sCfOu).
    I still really enjoy watching professional, well-casted SC2 matches (and I don't even play multi-player myself).
  • steadynedy 3 Sep 2011 19:53:16 112 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the links, tips etc.

Going to carry on and try to improve.

The only snag atm, which is quite amusing, but also a bit frustrating is that during placement games i won the first then lost the next three games, then on the final game my zerg opponent suddenly had to leave and gg'd giving me another win and i got placed in silver when i should be in bronze!
  • Ceelion 27 Oct 2011 13:20:23 187 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, do people still play this?

Anyone fancy whooping a bronze player about a bit?
  • Sharzam 28 Oct 2011 07:51:19 2,739 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Millions stil play SC2 so you wont have any problems finding a game :)

Regards to the EG community there is a few but as most people play new things as they come out (BF3 this week) games like SC2 tend to get forgotten.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• outy 30 Oct 2011 23:01:16 9 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Achieved my aim of getting into the diamond league in 1v1 during season 3 and subsequently quit soon after. I still really enjoy watching and supporting the professional scene though.
  • disusedgenius 30 Oct 2011 23:35:37 5,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still play it a fair bit, but a combination of following the pro scene and work means that I can never string enough practice together to get beyond silver league. Still great fun though, you can get away with some very silly stuff down in the lower leagues! :)
  • SuperBas 12 Feb 2012 17:54:08 1,450 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just restarted again, are there any guides for complete beginners such as myself?
  • ilmaestro 12 Feb 2012 19:35:54 32,406 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=200836

• SuperBas 13 Feb 2012 06:59:17 1,450 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks, the only guides I could find were written for people already good at the game.
  • ilmaestro 13 Feb 2012 08:14:04 32,406 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No problemo.

• SuperBas 29 Feb 2012 19:50:54 1,450 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did 5 placement matches, got put into gold league, what. Are the people in gold really that bad or am I just an okayish player? I beat 2 bronze players and got beaten by a bronze, platinum and a gold league player. It shouldn't put me so high.

Edited by SuperBas at 19:52:02 29-02-2012
  • DerpSalad 4 Mar 2012 01:17:02 23 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    God I am awful at this game. Sometimes I feel like I'm making progress and then BOOM - another pathetic loss to some cannon-rushing bumwipe. I haven't got the foggiest idea how I'm meant to stop it. By the time I have four or five marines my ramp is impossible to run down. It's happened three times tonight. The last game when it happened I wrote out a huge foul-mouthed rant to the prat who did it and he replied "MY ENGLISH NOT GOOD". I'm gutted he'll never know of my rage.

Had another game that lasted an hour and twenty minutes. Some guy turtled in three bases and refused to attack. Every time I got near he'd pop out, murder my guys, then lock himself and his massive army in his bases again. How on earth do you deal with that?
  • disusedgenius 4 Mar 2012 01:48:18 5,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah cannon rushes! So annoying until you work out the timing and scoutings, then they just count as free wins.

And if a guy refuses to attack, you place a hard contain on him and make sure to scout regularly whilst mining out the rest of the map. Eventually it'll just end up being his small pile of money vs your massive pile of money. As long as you have enough barracks/factories to re-max almost instantly you'll do fine.

Edited by disusedgenius at 01:57:35 04-03-2012
  • DerpSalad 4 Mar 2012 13:59:49 23 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sound advice. I usually scout right after my first depot. Is it worth scouting earlier against toss? Like, literally as soon as possible?
  • Pirotic Moderator 4 Mar 2012 19:11:43 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What race do you play as? If your Terran (you mention depots) then you have two options - first is to scout it then crush it, or if that fails let them build all the way up to your HQ then just lift off and land at your expansion. You may lose a few reactors/techlabs but the amount they'll have wasted on a forge & cannons should put you ahead so long as you can defend your moved command center against whatever they warp into your main. Marauders are extremely good in bunkers against protos.

If a guy refuses to attack, expand behind pressure and just get further ahead. Don't force a fight unless you are positive of victory, just expand like a crazy man. Eventually you'll both have 200 supply but the difference is you should have enough resources and production to rebuild your army much quicker.
  • DerpSalad 4 Mar 2012 22:05:59 23 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    If a guy refuses to attack, expand behind pressure and just get further ahead. Don't force a fight unless you are positive of victory, just expand like a crazy man. Eventually you'll both have 200 supply but the difference is you should have enough resources and production to rebuild your army much quicker.
    I just had a game like this. Guy just sat in his base with a shitload of Thors and tanks. I knew how to deal with it macro-wise but I'm still too noobish to understand what units I need to deal with certain units, especially the higher tech stuff. I got bored and surrendered in the end. I don't care to play games like that.
  • disusedgenius 4 Mar 2012 23:09:44 5,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DerpSalad wrote:
    Sound advice. I usually scout right after my first depot. Is it worth scouting earlier against toss? Like, literally as soon as possible?
    I dunno really. I play Zerg and don't actually bother drone scouting at all - the more important thing to do is actually to watch for their scout probe - for the first 5 minutes stay glued to that mini map to look for it. Always keep something at your entrance to watch it come in and watch it leave.

If you don't see one, something's up and start checking around with a marine at your natural and any other places of interest (probably proxy gateways/stargates). If you see one come in, scout and leave then everything's fine and you can play your game. If you see it come in but don't see it leave then they're doing something fishy in your base. Personally I then wait half a minute until checking the fog of war. Hopefully then he's actually spent minerals on something useless!

In terms of your scouting then just send out a SUV as early as you want to feel safe. At the level we play at you're not going to notice the economic difference all that much. Then, once you get a feel for typical timings, you can start leaving it later and later. So sure, if you're worried against toss send one out at the same time as your start building your depot. Better safe than sorry!
  • SuperBas 10 Apr 2012 18:40:57 1,450 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bump

Who's good at commenting on videos? I found Husky and HDStarcraft, but who else is good?

Edit: Day9 just pisses me off.

Edited by SuperBas at 18:41:50 10-04-2012
  • disusedgenius 10 Apr 2012 19:40:30 5,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you're not too poor to pay, the gomtv guys are very good (Tastosis being the obvious draw there, though Wolf and Khaldor are very good as well). Apart from that you have Mr Bitter, dApollo and Total Biscuit in the second pack of big event names.
  • Page

of 54 First / Last