The Boardwalk Empire: HBO mafia drama Page 3

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• localnotail 11 Oct 2010 21:13:22 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We have defininitely got a grower on our hands IMO. Really good episode, plot is definitely thickening nicely.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• ronuds 11 Oct 2010 21:19:00 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I wasn't that into it after the first couple of episodes, but it's grown on me.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2010 21:19:40
    I agree, but I'm still losing track of who people are. I think it'll be better to watch as a boxset all in one serving. Interesting to see what happens to Miss Schroeder. She seems to be getting corrupted.

I think this is where British telly suffers. US TV like this draws you in, and after about episode 4 it grows, like this. The Wire, The Sopranos even Louie recently all took time to get into, yet with British TV the runs are so small there's no chance for any of that. It's getting worse, too. The BBC seem to be commissioning 3 episode series of all their new dramas.
  • ronuds 11 Oct 2010 21:21:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There seems to be only 3 or 4 characters you really have to pay attention to. The rest come and go.

I like Al Capone. :p
  • kongzi 17 Oct 2010 19:39:25 35 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just watched the first episode. It was highly anticipated before and even more so after.
    It reminded me of Deadwood in a lot of good ways. Pure class.
  • Razz 29 Oct 2010 00:09:17 61,279 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm far from a conservative person but there is just way too much sex and nudity in this show.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• glaeken 3 Nov 2010 11:35:10 11,199 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks like Sky have picked this up for the UK. Starts January apparently on Sky 1.

Sounds pretty good from what I have heard about it so far so looking forward to this.
  • Deleted user 16 November 2010 10:28:44
    My daughter didn't help you, Madame Junnet. I did.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2010 09:32:44
    Loving this. Apparently it's not been as big hit as was expected, though
  • jozz 30 Nov 2010 00:42:30 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What an episode! The growth and progression of the characters from the start of the series is exceptionally well done, especially Jimmy and the prohibition agent.

I'm not sure why the show hasn't hit the expected viewing numbers as it's so well made and acted. Really enjoying it if that wasn't obvious.
  • localnotail 30 Nov 2010 00:46:39 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have been really loving this. It's a lot more convoluted than I expected plot intricacies are excellent. FBI agent is truly twisted. Still got last night's episode to catch up with, but am devouring every minute of screen time alocated to Chalky White especially.

• localnotail 5 Dec 2010 21:58:51 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally caught up, ready for the final episode tonight (well, tomorrow)

Oh my word. How many cliffhangers waiting to fall or be saved? That last episode was brilliant stuff! The "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"-chiming baptism in particular was just totally gripping.

No idea how this will all be resolved, too many betrayals to count. I'm really going to miss this show.

• CosmicFuzz 5 Dec 2010 22:05:21 24,574 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looking forward to this finishing so I can download it and watch it all!

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• captainrentboy 5 Dec 2010 22:06:59 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really love the show, I'm all for well written/acted drama, so it's slower pace doesn't bother me. A lot of folk in the US dont seem to be appreciating it though, thankfully the second series was commissioned from like episode 3, so it's all good:)
    Michael Pitt is the revelation for me, I wasn't really aware of him before, but he's been the standout in this show and has had the most interesting storyline IMO. He kind of reminds me of a less marketable Leo.
  • monkehhh 6 Dec 2010 22:19:50 3,357 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really enjoyed this - almost as if the first season served as a way to flesh everyone out and explain their motivations for the coming seasons. Nice to see something take it's time, but still manage to cram a ton in - can't wait for season two.
  • localnotail 6 Dec 2010 23:28:49 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    Really enjoyed this - almost as if the first season served as a way to flesh everyone out and explain their motivations for the coming seasons. Nice to see something take it's time, but still manage to cram a ton in - can't wait for season two.

+1 I have really enjoyed this too, and it's great to see the final episode setting everything up for a second series so beautifully. It's a classy piece of television, and no mistake, all held together by Buscemi's subtle yet sturdy central role, but bringing enough excellent characters around him to make every storyline matter.

• Vice.Destroyer 13 Dec 2010 16:00:50 5,841 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone got any idea when this is being shown in the UK? I have missed out on this and also Treme and it is making me very unhappy.
  • woodnotes 10 Jan 2011 15:25:04 4,929 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    Has anyone got any idea when this is being shown in the UK? I have missed out on this and also Treme and it is making me very unhappy.
    Both start next month on Sky Atlantic (will be on Sky channel 108).
  • David_Richardson 11 Jan 2011 20:18:43 635 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    monkehhh wrote:

+1 I have really enjoyed this too, and it's great to see the final episode setting everything up for a second series so beautifully. It's a classy piece of television, and no mistake, all held together by Buscemi's subtle yet sturdy central role, but bringing enough excellent characters around him to make every storyline matter.

I finished the last episode tonight and think Nucky is way down the list in terms of great characters. Buscemi, despite me being a fan, seems awfully miscast. Rothstein is a far more believable leader.
  • LFMartins 17 Jan 2011 01:42:04 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    2 golden globes for the show, best drama and best actor drama for Buscemi.
  • El_MUERkO 19 Jan 2011 02:58:11 17,050 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GI_Enthusiast wrote:
    Deserved it in spades. The greatest TV drama since Breaking Bad. Probably better....

grander in scope and ambition, but not better
  • Deckard1 3 Feb 2011 00:02:52 28,245 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is this worth watching then?
  • BinaryBob101 3 Feb 2011 00:04:08 23,151 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes. And it gets much better after the pilot.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• SuperCoolEskimo 3 Feb 2011 00:06:46 9,884 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The pilot is on Sky Atlantic tomorrow at around 11.45pm for those of you like me who missed it and have loads of people urging you to check it out.
  • Deckard1 3 Feb 2011 00:12:00 28,245 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The first two episodes are on skyplayer now, I'm watching the first now
  • BartonFink 3 Feb 2011 00:29:25 34,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yup been watching this on Atlantic for the past couple of nights. Excellent stuff.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2011 09:29:39
    gave up after ep4 or 5. learnt my lesson after trudging through the whole of treme - life's too short
  • Page

of 15 First / Last