The Boardwalk Empire: HBO mafia drama Page 2

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• Orange 20 Sep 2010 22:13:26 4,654 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    yeah, nicely made but it didn't bring anything really new to the mobster genre. Hopefully it kicks on from here.
  • BinaryBob101 21 Sep 2010 13:31:59 22,277 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought the CGI was a bit obvious too.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Deleted user 21 September 2010 17:10:21
    From the previews, this gets significantly better as the series goes on.
  • TakeTheVeil 21 Sep 2010 21:31:17 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just watched it there. Thought it was a pretty good opening. Prohibition is such a great setting for it. I hope they go the Mad Men route and make it as realistic as possible for the time.

I'm also gay for Steve Buscemi.
  • localnotail 21 Sep 2010 21:33:56 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Scene setting episodes are always a bit stodgy, but I like the look of this, it's a really interesting era in American history. Bit of a surprise to see Kelly McDonald there, she's hardly aged since Shallow Grave, and only a mere glimpse of Omar, but looking forward to seeing more.

Liked the period detail greatly, especially the Fatty Arbuckle clip. AC doesn't look like that anymore but there are still touches here & there.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• prodge Moderator 21 Sep 2010 23:07:42 349 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bit of a surprise to see Kelly McDonald there, she's hardly aged since Shallow Grave

Don't you mean Trainspotting?
  • BinaryBob101 22 Sep 2010 00:26:38 22,277 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fatty Arbuckle murdered and raped, he wasn't funny though.

Beautiful tender beings.

• LFMartins 22 Sep 2010 00:35:21 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is already been renewed for a second season, it was HBO´s most watched premiere since Deadwood 6 years ago.
  • localnotail 22 Sep 2010 10:02:02 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    prodge wrote:
    Bit of a surprise to see Kelly McDonald there, she's hardly aged since Shallow Grave

Don't you mean Trainspotting?

No, there was a malfunction in my brain and I had dragged the image and filmography of Kerry Fox out of it in response to seeing Kelly McDonald. You are entirely correct. And my comment makes no sense in light of the truth. Sorry.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Fatty Arbuckle murdered and raped, he wasn't funny though.

Allegedly. Never proven or convicted, despite several trials - Bob, you should read history, not scandal sheets. He was a very important part of film history, and he was funny IMO. Poor Fatty.

• DocX 22 Sep 2010 10:46:31 1,963 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    a mere glimpse of Omar

To me, that just confirmed this series is going to be quality :) It took me a while to work out it was Scummy Man playing Capone. Good first ep, if a bit of a mafia cliche ending.
  • BinaryBob101 22 Sep 2010 15:22:11 22,277 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    localnotail wrote:

Allegedly. Never proven or convicted, despite several trials - Bob, you should read history, not scandal sheets. He was a very important part of film history, and he was funny IMO. Poor Fatty.

I'm not denying his importance in shaping the film industry, that much is pretty obvious. I just don't think he was that funny when compared to some of his peers of the time.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Deleted user 22 September 2010 15:28:08
    I miss The Sopranos :(

This looks awesome!
  • localnotail 22 Sep 2010 15:30:45 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    localnotail wrote:

I'm not denying his importance in shaping the film industry, that much is pretty obvious. I just don't think he was that funny when compared to some of his peers of the time.

Fair enough, I disagree wholeheartedly :D He and Buster were the best of all the silent comedians. (Buster was better though, he's one of my personal gods)

• BinaryBob101 22 Sep 2010 15:32:28 22,277 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Keaton, Chaplin and Lloyd are where my heart's at really.

##Hooray for Harold Lloyd!##

Beautiful tender beings.

• BravoGolf Moderator 23 Sep 2010 13:09:02 12,740 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Interesting - didn't know about this, will leave it run for a while before you can decide for me whether it's worth watching ;)
  • Trowel 23 Sep 2010 13:22:53 17,420 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Keaton, Chaplin and Lloyd are where my heart's at really.

##Hooray for Harold Lloyd!##
    ##Ba-rap pa-rap pa-rap pa-rap ba-raa...##
  • localnotail 23 Sep 2010 13:27:29 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Harold Lloyd sucks. He was just a pretty boy who ripped of the genius of Buster Keaton.

• BinaryBob101 28 Sep 2010 13:59:56 22,277 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So, a much better second episode. Buscemi made me lol several times, the guy really makes this show. Kelly Macdonald's accent is very annoying though.

Beautiful tender beings.

• localnotail 28 Sep 2010 16:34:55 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aw d'ya not care fur the sweet oirish brogue then Bob?

It's building nicely. Al Capone is a proper bastard. I was a bit surprised by the discovery that the burlesque lady was Jimmy's mum :o

• BinaryBob101 28 Sep 2010 17:32:37 22,277 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, that had some serious Oedipal overtones! What a strange way to say hello. There's something not quite right in that relationship, eh?

I'm a sucker for the Irish accent, but her's is just dreadful. Too much Scottish accidentally coming through I think.

Beautiful tender beings.

• TakeTheVeil 28 Sep 2010 17:43:20 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not the worst approximation for an Irish accent of that period. Doesn't sit well in any part of the country today however.
  • BinaryBob101 28 Sep 2010 17:55:07 22,277 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I understand that it's meant to be a period accent, but she's Scottish and probably spent too much time in the US, so just occasionally she pulls me out of a scene.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Deleted user 28 September 2010 17:59:34
    think this is nuh bad so far

pilots often kinda suck, what with having to fit in every character and get everything going but this was pretty good and I'm def going to keep watching because there's a hell of a lot of promise and the series is blatantly gonna be amazing overall
  • localnotail 4 Oct 2010 13:13:37 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sven_vath wrote:
    hope omar gets a bigger part. i expect he does.

I think his part starts properly this episode. Nucky said something last week to the giggling fella he left to rot in jail about Chalky White taking over the booze production.

• cianchristopher 4 Oct 2010 13:16:02 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is this a miniseries? Or a full, Sopranos-style 13 episode series with possible further seasons thing...
  • Trane 4 Oct 2010 13:29:25 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The latter I believe.

Enjoying it so far, noticed that guy too Sven - popped up just after Capone bottled that guy over the head :)
  • localnotail 4 Oct 2010 13:52:34 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    12 episodes, second series commissioned, I think.

• TVoJ 5 Oct 2010 10:41:29 1,739 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really enjoying so far, the first ep was good if a little confusing. I mean I still don't understand why the chicago guy (Colisimo?) was whacked? but then again they've got loadsa time left so I'm not bothered. Love al capone aka Tommy the "Gun" lol. Personally so far the most intruiging charachter has been the prohabition agent. He seems to be cold as ice, the letter he writes his wife telling her to run the pipes made me laugh and I recognise his voice from something, cant put my finger on it. All in all tho a very promising start.

P.s. w00t w00t for Omar
  • localnotail 5 Oct 2010 11:56:36 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Van Alden, (Prohibition Agent) has a face like Dick Tracey. I have a feeling his mind is a lot darker though. What he did to the man in the chair was Brutal. And he's a ribbon sniffer...

• Page

of 14 First / Last