Jury Duty.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • ISmoke 25 Jul 2010 12:10:00 529 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So i start Jury Duty tomorrow. I'm kind of looking forward too it but I have no idea at all of what it will consist off. luckily it means I get 2 weeks paid off work but at the same time it means i'll be sat in a dull room listening to lawyers using their techincal law jargon that i won't even begin to understand what they are saying translates to in English!

Wondering if anyone of these forums have had to do their duty, if so what was it like?

I know this is ending on a very stupid question, especially for these forums, but what did you have to wear?
  • Kostabi 25 Jul 2010 12:21:20 4,670 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're lucky you might not get picked. If you're not lucky you do get selected then you've just got to hope it's about something interesting. Sadly most trials are dull as dishwater.

All the legal arguments about points of law are done without the jury present, and the meat of a trial is easy to follow and understand as nobody gains from having a juror ask a question every 5 minutes.
  • ISmoke 25 Jul 2010 12:24:26 529 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If i don't get picked i'm still required to go down each day though arent i? I suppose thats true. I was just worried i wouldnt be able to follow what they are going on about. But you made a good point
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 25 Jul 2010 12:27:26 10,785 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you are attending a decent court then the jury should be fully informed of what is expected of them. Some courts give out guidance notes to ensure that jury members are prepared.

Oh, and dress code isn't too important but short sleeve shirt and jeans should be fine.
  • Trowel 25 Jul 2010 12:34:25 16,860 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From my experience last year, you spend half your time in the jury common room so take books/MP3 player/Gameboy etc.

As Kostabi says, the trial itself is in plain language so nothing to worry about there - after all, the barristers are trying make sure you take on board their side of the argument.

No dress code - go casual and comfy, and make sure you have a top you can take off/put on for the court room as they're usually pretty cold. And make sure you have a piss before you go into court, or you'll have to stick your hand up halfway...

Usually the trial will be an interesting one at least, by definition of reaching court, and I found it fascinating watching the barristers at work. Make plenty of notes, and don't be afraid to ask questions or raise issues with your fellow jurours when you retire to meet your verdict.
  • Kostabi 25 Jul 2010 12:34:41 4,670 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ISmoke wrote:
    If i don't get picked i'm still required to go down each day though arent i? I suppose thats true. I was just worried i wouldnt be able to follow what they are going on about. But you made a good point

It varies depending on what business the court is doing that week. I only work in a small Crown with 2 courts so there are plenty of days that jurors don't need to attend if they're not picked but I'd imagine in the larger ones with 10+ courts that you'll probably have to attend every day just in case.

Edit: Oh, and like everyone else has said - wear something comfortable and take a book!
  • ISmoke 25 Jul 2010 12:35:16 529 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah they did send me a booklet to read what i have just started to read now, it all sound a bit dry if i'm honest.
  • Gambit1977 25 Jul 2010 13:29:26 9,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Most boring week of my life. I was 19, didn't care, was only interested in getting my money, and was stuck in a room with a load of Dudley do rights. Yuck!
  • Deleted user 25 July 2010 13:31:14
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    and was stuck in a room with a load of Dudley do rights. Yuck!

You dislike the idea of people taking the potential conviction of a person seriously? That's odd.
  • RedSparrows 25 Jul 2010 13:43:21 20,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, trials are for wimps.
  • Deleted user 25 July 2010 13:51:36
    Trial by combat would be interesting.
  • Fake_Blood 25 Jul 2010 13:56:45 3,836 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Whatever you do or say, try to get an OBJECTION in there.
    A t-shirt with FRAUD ACTIONS will make you immortal here on EG, but we'll need pictures or it didn't happen.
  • Gambit1977 25 Jul 2010 14:08:58 9,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Most boring week of my life. I was 19, didn't care, was only interested in getting my money, and was stuck in a room with a load of Dudley do rights. Yuck!

When these people completely didn't understand the culture of the defendant and prosecution...yes. They were ready to lock him up the minute they saw the shell suit! ;)

I can't stand chavs etc, but it was quite complicated and very convoluted...I can't even remember the verdict, just that I was stuck with middle aged, upper class, curtain twitchers and I was young.
  • neilka 25 Jul 2010 14:10:09 14,942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In fact make sure to bellow "objection" at the top of your lungs after everything anyone says, including introducing the judge, announcing lunch breaks, asking you to stop bellowing "objection", etc. etc.
  • Feanor 25 Jul 2010 16:59:19 13,921 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If I never go back to live in NZ I'll never have to do Jury Duty since I'm not an American citizen and have no plans to become one.
  • CasperCCC 26 Jul 2010 13:29:08 1,087 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    If you're lucky you might not get picked. If you're not lucky you do get selected then you've just got to hope it's about something interesting. Sadly most trials are dull as dishwater.

Nah. Totally disagree. If you're unlucky you won't get picked. Sitting in a trial isn't all that interesting. Sitting about doing eff all for a fortnight is unbelievably dull. I did two weeks, got two trials. One was upsetting but interesting, the other was like a comedy sketch - the biggest waste of time and money ever, full of half-arsed smackheads and bickering, all over the most trivial charge. Both of them were better than the days I had to sit around waiting to be called (or not be called...).

Jeans and a smartish t-shirt or a shirt will do you fine. Take a book / PSP / whatever. There were people who just sat about staring into space for days on end while waiting to be called. I managed to get through about three novels over the course of the fortnight.
  • markh 26 Jul 2010 13:36:07 3,598 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did jury duty about 2.5years ago. It was pretty interesting and met some nice people (as well as some not so nice ones).

I got picked for a murder trial on my first day which lasted 2days before they had to select a new jury due to us hearing information we shouldn't have because of the police messing up. Came in on the Thursday and got told at lunch that we weren't needed unitl monday so had a nice long weekend.

In the second week i got picked for another trial which run the distance (3.5 days). Was pretty interesting but was slightly spoilt whilst deliberating by 3 women who were saying guilty just because they "thought" he was and had no evidence to back up their decision. Got one on our side and had to wait until the judge took a majority deicision.

Then got told on the Thursday again we weren't needed anymore so had another nice long weekend! This coupled with the fact we finished at 3ish or earlier in court and had nice long lunches meant it was a pretty good 2 weeks!
  • Alastair 26 Jul 2010 13:50:45 14,955 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Whatever you do or say, try to get an OBJECTION in there.
    A t-shirt with FRAUD ACTIONS will make you immortal here on EG, but we'll need pictures or it didn't happen.

I wore my Phoenix Wright 'OBJECTION!' t-shirt on one of the days while doing my jury service.
    \o/

Not as nice as I used to be

• smoothpete 26 Jul 2010 13:51:42 31,017 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jury duty?!? I'll see that Quimby kid hang for this!
  • comradetony 26 Jul 2010 15:12:51 200 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Did my service last year, quite enjoyed it!
    It was a week and a 1/2 case though, and the deliberation room got quite heated! It was a good experience, though i am well aware it can be as dull as sin.

Still, I put it down in my cv, and a few months later after a promotion at work, they admitted the jury service was a key element in their decision! Was worth it for that alone, lol.
  • kalel 26 Jul 2010 15:16:44 83,877 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I’ve done it. It was all a bit of a joke to be honest. A lot of waiting around, then when I got a case it quickly got thrown out due to a technicality. The whole thing left me with a distinct lack of faith in the justice system as it seems largely based around the premise that most people aren’t morons, which sadly, they are.
  • jonsaan 26 Jul 2010 15:17:55 25,254 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    comradetony wrote:
    Did my service last year, quite enjoyed it!
    It was a week and a 1/2 case though, and the deliberation room got quite heated! It was a good experience, though i am well aware it can be as dull as sin.

Still, I put it down in my cv, and a few months later after a promotion at work, they admitted the jury service was a key element in their decision! Was worth it for that alone, lol.

What? Why would jury duty be a cause for promotion?

FCUTA!

• Load_2.0 26 Jul 2010 15:19:35 18,201 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There was a sharp unexplained spike in productivity and a drop in workplace accidents that took place over that week and a half.

Hence the promotion.
  • kalel 26 Jul 2010 15:22:22 83,877 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There was a painful moment in mine, where after hearing the entire case for the prosecution, we went back into the deliberation room, and a lady loudly explained, “I reckon there’s going to be a big twist tomorrow, don’t you?”.
  • askew 26 Jul 2010 15:23:18 11,462 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hehe.
  • Fake_Blood 26 Jul 2010 15:23:31 3,836 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:

What? Why would jury duty be a cause for promotion?

They needed someone to sit around all day doing nothing but being judgmental.
    Probably management position.
  • Load_2.0 26 Jul 2010 15:24:28 18,201 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Load_2.0 26 Jul 2010 15:25:11 18,201 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    There was a painful moment in mine, where after hearing the entire case for the prosecution, we went back into the deliberation room, and a lady loudly explained, “I reckon there’s going to be a big twist tomorrow, don’t you?”.

She must have been expecting a Scooby Doo style reveal.

Look the defendant is really Old Man Smithers, the fairground caretaker!
  • cianchristopher 26 Jul 2010 15:25:22 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One word: Jurisprudence

One must only whisper it; anything more than a whisper and it'll disappear :)
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous