Hitman: Absolution Page 35

• Page

of 43 First / Last

• spamdangled 27 Nov 2012 23:51:45 27,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll have a look for that one, sounds fun!

W/regards to how scoring works, if you play a contract, the payoff is whatever score you get. If you play again and score higher, you earn the difference between the two attempts. Then I *think* the highest scoring person gets a bonus once the competition is over, unless the highes is the contract maker, in which case they get nothing.

Afaik

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:54:30 27-11-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• 1Dgaf 28 Nov 2012 03:45:15 3,975 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    1Dgaf wrote:
    I'm quite surprised people could persist with Blood Money. However the amount of praise it gets in here is making me want to try it again. I just remember it being lackluster. I think the controls were poor as well.
    Man, you are way off on this one, mate. It's fantastic. You ruined it for yourself by charging through it all guns blazing...

Maybe, but there didn't appear to be a meaningful penalty for killing everyone. So I did the quickest, simplest, thing. My character was an anti-Bond villain. No contrived plans, just get it done.

That seemed reasonable for 'a' hitman, but perhaps not this one in retrospect.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Ziz0u 28 Nov 2012 07:20:08 8,648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished Shaving Lenny and the Barbershop last night.

A quick rundown of how I did it: After learning the level, I did everything pretty quickly. I made my way to the shed near the drum filled with oil (?), took the guard out, and waited for the first guy (I can't remember names) to stand conveniently in front of said drum, and pushed him in.

I then made my way to the donut shop, threw something in the street to distract the guard, snuck past him and grabbed the sniper rifle. Went back downstairs and went the other shop where the one target's office is. Turned the radio on and went upstairs. Waited behind the door until the guy came in and yeah, didn't know what else to do, so I shot him in the head :confused:. I then went to the window and sniped the remaining target (not a headshot so I lost points there). I made my way to the exit pretty easily.

So yeah, a couple of questions. I'm pretty happy with the first kill, but the 2nd one - what exactly are my options in his office? Sniping the guy in the mechanics is pretty cool, but not a big point scorer. I was pretty please about staying in my suit the whole way through this section and the barbershop.

The barbershop was easy enough. fiddled with the wire for the kill where he pisses on it. Knocked Lenny out in the barbershop chair, and the last guy I shot the stove when he was standing in front of it.. Is that the way to use the stoves? Shoot them? I see it's a "signature kill", so I assume that's the way to do it.

Now that I am not being spotted as easily, and accepted the fact that sneaking is more viable than disguises, combined with a couple of good traditional Hitman levels; I am enjoying everything much more.
  • Ziz0u 28 Nov 2012 07:27:12 8,648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @1Dgaf

Eek. I think you missed the point of the games. If stealthy/puzzlely games appeal to you, I suggest you give Blood Money another go. :)
  • Ziz0u 28 Nov 2012 08:01:54 8,648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, Silent Assassin is strange. I don't think I did especially well on Shaving Lenny, yet I still got Silent Assassin ranking at the end.
  • 1Dgaf 28 Nov 2012 11:36:21 3,975 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm doing the mission in the hotel. It's annoying that you can't throw statue busts and coffee cups etc., to kill or wound people. It's cool when you throw a knife, but I was hoping for a Lucky Number Slevin moment.

And while the world is very detailed, there's not much to interact with. I'm surrounded by things that could be weapons - but aren't.

Still, had a lot of fun mowing people down with the shotgun. The 'mark and execute' stuff is fun because of the ragdolls.

EDIT:

I am enjoying it, though. I had to try Chinatown multiple times because I kept cocking up the kill I wanted and couldn't escape the cops. It's a good game to fuck about it while chatting, so far.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 11:40:30 28-11-2012

• Ziz0u 28 Nov 2012 11:39:29 8,648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @1Dgaf

Are you going all guns blazing in this one as well? Just asking. It's your game to play how you will. :)
  • 1Dgaf 28 Nov 2012 11:47:24 3,975 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A bit of both. A civilian was crouched behind a car in panic, so crept up behind him.

I can confirm it takes two silverballer-shots to the anus to kill.

• Kostabi 28 Nov 2012 11:53:24 5,093 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Throwing knives has been my favourite way to kill so far. Had a great moment where I cut a throat then immediately turned around and threw the knife into his surprised looking friend.
  • Ziz0u 28 Nov 2012 12:08:55 8,648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Me too. And syringes :)

When I killed Wade with a knife to the head, we still had a chat after that in the cutscene. No knife to be seen.
  • Ziz0u 28 Nov 2012 12:32:47 8,648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Disguise system to be tweaked.

Hopefully in time for my Purist run...
  • spamdangled 28 Nov 2012 12:34:47 27,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gansosleftpeg wrote:
    It's probably not as good as you might imagine to be honest, it's a bit like a speedrun to kill the 2 main characters in the level (under 2 mins).
    Ps3 version BTW.
    Ah bugger. I'm 360.

If only they had a way of making contracts multi-platform :-(

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Ziz0u 28 Nov 2012 12:40:53 8,648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Any tips regarding the following? :)

ZizouFC wrote:
    Finished Shaving Lenny and the Barbershop last night.

A quick rundown of how I did it: After learning the level, I did everything pretty quickly. I made my way to the shed near the drum filled with oil (?), took the guard out, and waited for the first guy (I can't remember names) to stand conveniently in front of said drum, and pushed him in.

I then made my way to the donut shop, threw something in the street to distract the guard, snuck past him and grabbed the sniper rifle. Went back downstairs and went the other shop where the one target's office is. Turned the radio on and went upstairs. Waited behind the door until the guy came in and yeah, didn't know what else to do, so I shot him in the head :confused:. I then went to the window and sniped the remaining target (not a headshot so I lost points there). I made my way to the exit pretty easily.

So yeah, a couple of questions. I'm pretty happy with the first kill, but the 2nd one - what exactly are my options in his office? Sniping the guy in the mechanics is pretty cool, but not a big point scorer. I was pretty please about staying in my suit the whole way through this section and the barbershop.

The barbershop was easy enough. fiddled with the wire for the kill where he pisses on it. Knocked Lenny out in the barbershop chair, and the last guy I shot the stove when he was standing in front of it.. Is that the way to use the stoves? Shoot them? I see it's a "signature kill", so I assume that's the way to do it.

Now that I am not being spotted as easily, and accepted the fact that sneaking is more viable than disguises, combined with a couple of good traditional Hitman levels; I am enjoying everything much more.
  • fletch7100 28 Nov 2012 13:04:51 7,446 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shit,863 points short of achieving the current max score for king of Chinatown and no idea how to get those extra points

Hmm try to hide the Kings body should be the answer

Edited by fletch7100 at 13:06:36 28-11-2012
  • spamdangled 28 Nov 2012 14:15:06 27,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ZizouFC

Regarding:
    I made my way to the shed near the drum filled with oil (?), took the guard out, and waited for the first guy (I can't remember names) to stand conveniently in front of said drum, and pushed him in.
    - I had no idea this possibility existed. Will have to look into it. Cheers for that!

Re:
    Turned the radio on and went upstairs. Waited behind the door until the guy came in and yeah, didn't know what else to do, so I shot him in the head :confused:.
    - instead of waiting for him you can tamper with the stove, go back across the street and up to the balcony in the repair shop, snipe the stove and kill him in the resulting explosion. Alternatively, you can do none of that, tamper with the pump in the front of the repair shop, wait will he walks over and has a cigarette, and then shoot at the puddle of gasoline with a silenced pistol to ignite the petrol and kill him in an explosion that way.

Re:
    Sniping the guy in the mechanics is pretty cool, but not a big point scorer.
    - Slightly confused because of your wording here. When you say it isn't a big point scorer, do you mean sniping the bloke in the mechanics (i.e the target downstairs in the building that loiters around the garage with the car suspended by a crane above the floor), or sniping the second target in his office from the balcony in the mechanics area? If it's the former, there are two accidents you can arrange for him instead of sniping him from the donut shop as well as a close-and-personal method you can utilise to allow you to not only get all three targets without ever being spotted (as long as you kill them in the same manner) whilst also, through a very long-winded and high-risk method of clearing the entire fucking street (and then later clearing Lenny's house non-lethally with accidents and no disguises) of all other NPCs non-lethally and hiding their bodies so you can also then dispose of their bodies in the oil vat, netting you that challenge bonus, as well as never-spotted bonus, silent assassin bonus, evidence bonus, no disguise bonus as well as two accident bonuses and potentially the maximum score bonus (if you have level mastery) (for what I think is the absolute maximum score achievable on that level. Which could well be possibly the most challenging contract possible to create in the entire game in contracts mode (ASSUMING you can pull it all off).

Re:
    fiddled with the wire for the kill where he pisses on it. Knocked Lenny out in the barbershop chair, and the last guy I shot the stove when he was standing in front of it.. Is that the way to use the stoves? Shoot them?
    - Three points:

1. Are you aware of the different ways to achieve that first kill? There's another accident you can arrange.

2. There's another way to render Lenny unconscious too.

3. Yes, shooting at the stoves makes the bullet ricochet, which creates a spark that ignites the gas. It's a way to take out a target from a distance without shooting them directly with a sniper rifle (which is a blatant murder and not as "clean" as something less obvious that could have easily just been a freak accident. Additionally, by getting a little bit closer and using a silenced pistol (or possibly the sniper at long range if you have the silencer fully upgraded), you don't draw attention to your location, unlike a regular sniper shot which makes a noise and causes the guards to investigate the source of it (they obviously link the big bang to the gunshot despite perhaps not having discovered a body yet).

Did you get the evidence yet? There's one in the main level area and one in Lenny's house. 3 potential ways to get the one in Lenny's house (maybe more, I don't know), 3 ways (that I know of) to get the one in the street area. (spoilered for people who might still not have located the evidence themselves, let alone worked out how to get them)

Anyway, I know that's an epic wall-o-text but should give you plenty of food for thought :-)

• spamdangled 28 Nov 2012 14:20:02 27,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Shit,863 points short of achieving the current max score for king of Chinatown and no idea how to get those extra points

Hmm try to hide the Kings body should be the answer
    Hiding the body won't net you 863 points, so there must be a higher-scoring way of killing him, or a way to do it faster resulting in a bigger time bonus, or a higher score multiplier you can achieve by having every single challenge completed before attempting the contract. Do you have mastery on that level?

Edited by darkmorgado at 14:27:48 28-11-2012

• spamdangled 28 Nov 2012 14:26:37 27,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Disguise system to be tweaked.

Hopefully in time for my Purist run...
    Good news. Hopefully it means the obvious choice of reducing the sensitivity of NPCs - either the distance at which they start becoming suspicious or the rate at which they become suspicious, which is really the only thing that needs tweaking. The fact they get suspicious in the first place isn't the problem.

That article did confuse me for a second though - when they said "the mechanic could do with tweaking" at first I thought they meant the mechanic disguise specifically, instead of the disguise game mechanic. Made me think "does the mechanic disguise somehow work differently to other disguises for some reason?"

\o/

• fletch7100 28 Nov 2012 14:31:23 7,446 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Got mastery and on purist. Method was. Get poison, follow drug dealer to hidden area where it looks he he is doing his shoelaces/going through rubbish. Knock him out,hide and take his disguise, goto central area, poison coffee mug and take evidence. Then escape. Think you may get extra points for the killing the King under a pallet load of boxes when he goes for a piss. Have to check that one out

Edited by fletch7100 at 14:32:18 28-11-2012
  • oldschoolsoviet 28 Nov 2012 16:07:57 5,549 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished, rushed through to wash my hands of it.

Certainly not a terrible game, but for me it's yet another franchise that's been pissed up a wall. By the insta-fail finale set-up, along with a few archaic videogame tropes thrown in ( clearing paths through proximity mines by shooting them, epilogue filled with armoured badasses/few walkover 'elites', forgotten plot points suddenly remembered ) and it's the disappointment I feared all over.

I may go back to it one day, but for now it can lurk in the corner in shame. Bad IO, bad dog !
  • smoothpete 28 Nov 2012 16:35:16 31,826 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    When I killed Wade with a knife to the head, we still had a chat after that in the cutscene. No knife to be seen.
    I shot him 5 times in the cock and balls and he still "got wood"
  • spamdangled 28 Nov 2012 16:44:25 27,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    @darkmorgado

Got mastery and on purist. Method was. Get poison, follow drug dealer to hidden area where it looks he he is doing his shoelaces/going through rubbish. Knock him out,hide and take his disguise, goto central area, poison coffee mug and take evidence. Then escape. Think you may get extra points for the killing the King under a pallet load of boxes when he goes for a piss. Have to check that one out
    Hang on, when you say "max score", are you talking about the max score on a contract competition, or the max score on the SP level?

• Rodriguez 28 Nov 2012 16:58:09 1,119 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm in a factory with a crazy scientist exploding pigs with land mines!? Bonkers! Any tips from anyone for fun kills in this area?
  • Rodriguez 28 Nov 2012 17:09:16 1,119 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ZizouFC

I got informed that I won your Contracts competition last night! Thanks for that! It was actually very enjoyable, deceptively simple on the face of things but a challenge of speed and precision in order to get a decent score on it!

I've got a new Contract in mind - though I'm not sure how many here will still be playing this once FC3/Wii-U are released on Friday!
  • fletch7100 28 Nov 2012 17:22:40 7,446 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Talking about SP global leader board. Joint top for king of china town is about 269,960ish. I'm stuck on. 269,100

Trying not to get too addicted to the leader boards, as this will get traded in on Friday
  • spamdangled 28 Nov 2012 17:46:44 27,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rodriguez wrote:
    I'm in a factory with a crazy scientist exploding pigs with land mines!? Bonkers! Any tips from anyone for fun kills in this area?
    Ah, you're on Death Factory. Fucking love that level.

Some things to think about:

If you can see clearly through all the noise coming from the speakers, you might be able to get the drop on the guy.

Never mined pulling his leg, he hasn't got one. Can he be armed instead?

Product testers shouldn't get so much enjoyment out of their job. Grass him up by pushing all the right buttons.

Some people need a helping hand along the road to scientific progress and the sweet smell of success, otherwise they'll spend their lives on rails.

• spamdangled 28 Nov 2012 17:47:27 27,441 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    @darkmorgado

Talking about SP global leader board. Joint top for king of china town is about 269,960ish. I'm stuck on. 269,100

Trying not to get too addicted to the leader boards, as this will get traded in on Friday
    Even though there's bound to be sp DLC?

• Rodriguez 28 Nov 2012 18:05:05 1,119 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Rodriguez wrote:
    Ah, you're on Death Factory. Fucking love that level.

Some things to think about:

If you can see clearly through all the noise coming from the speakers, you might be able to get the drop on the guy.

Never mined pulling his leg, he hasn't got one. Can he be armed instead?

Product testers shouldn't get so much enjoyment out of their job. Grass him up by pushing all the right buttons.

Some people need a helping hand along the road to scientific progress and the sweet smell of success, otherwise they'll spend their lives on rails.
    Ha, nice! Think I've got the grasp of a few of those cryptic points you've made there dark... should be a good one! Favourite levels so far are Shaving Lenny and Chinatown.
  • Page

of 43 First / Last