Hitman: Absolution

• Page

of 43 First / Last

Previous
  • Rauha 23 Jul 2010 13:09:59 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was sure a thread for this already existed (search came up blank). Anywho, from the front page: EG learns that a new Hitman game is in the works.

Fall 2011 at the earliest.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 23 Jul 2010 13:10:53 25,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Best game news in ages!
  • jozz 23 Jul 2010 13:12:30 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    About damn time!
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Jul 2010 13:15:55 35,507 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    \o/

I take the liberty of quoting myself from the comments:

Awesome.

"Blood Money" is an absolute masterpiece in level design, remarkable game, and the pinnacle of the series. I really hope the new Deus Ex has learned a thing or two from IO how you can offer multiple solutions to the player that go beyond hack door/break door/crawl through conveniently placed ventilation shaft.
  • LionheartDJH 23 Jul 2010 13:19:17 19,391 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice one, loved Silent Assassin (Invitation to a Party is one of my favourite game missions ever), and Blood Money was pretty good too (Contracts not so much). I'm sure this new game will be a hit...man.

She dives for cheese pasties

• jozz 23 Jul 2010 13:19:34 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The concept art looks pretty rubbish. I hope they don't 'Warrior Within' Hitman :(
    Although it might not be for the game, maybe: http://scrawlfx.com/2010/07/io-interactive-concept-art-not-for-new-hitman
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Jul 2010 13:22:18 35,507 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jozz wrote:
    The concept art looks pretty rubbish. I hope they don't 'Warrior Within' Hitman :(

"Unfortunately, the concept art was created as part of a portfolio,” IO Interactive PR manager Tom Stratton told us. “[It was] intended to showcase an artist’s style or method of work and does not represent any new Hitman game.”

:)
  • kalel 23 Jul 2010 13:24:59 86,962 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought the second was the pinnacle. Since then they've gradually catered more and more for the impatient gamer.

I remain hopeful but after the direction Spinter Cell has taken, I can't help feeling this may well take a step in that direction as well. I don't mind that people like quick games, but leave something for those of us who enjoy hiding in cupboards for hours.
  • jozz 23 Jul 2010 13:27:05 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just noticed that. Good news! I'm going to try not to worry too much whether IO know what they're doing with these games or not. It's not like they've done four of them or anything. ;)
  • smoothpete 23 Jul 2010 13:27:21 31,495 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wooooooooooooo
  • Load_2.0 23 Jul 2010 13:27:48 19,147 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    but leave something for those of us who enjoy hiding in cupboards for hours.

Heh an excellent summary of early splinter cell and hitman.

Not games for me. All guns blazing is the way forward!
  • kalel 23 Jul 2010 13:29:34 86,962 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    kalel wrote:

They should make a videogame based around that style of play, I reckon it would do well.
  • Jackface 23 Jul 2010 13:29:35 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I thought the second was the pinnacle. Since then they've gradually catered more and more for the impatient gamer.
    You think it's been to the detriment of the game though? I thought the last one, on 360, had plenty of nice long 'patience required' ways of solving a level, versus some much quicker but messier ones, with the ability to just go in gunz blazing available on nearly all of them if you so wished. I know what you mean, but I think the shift has been very subtle, nowhere near as brutal as some other recent games we could mention.
  • L_Franko Moderator 23 Jul 2010 13:30:12 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There was a few posts about this in the HMBM thread a while back.

Really looking forward to this. Loved Blood Money and keep meaning to go through it for a speed run on easy as the achievements don't blood stack!

What sort of levels would people like to see in the new one?
    I'd like to see a bank level where you have to somehow infiltrate the safe and plant explosives.
    I remember someone on here having the idea for an airport level which would be very cool.
  • kalel 23 Jul 2010 13:31:52 86,962 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jackface wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    You think it's been to the detriment of the game though? I thought the last one, on 360, had plenty of nice long 'patience required' ways of solving a level, versus some much quicker but messier ones, with the ability to just go in gunz blazing available on nearly all of them if you so wished. I know what you mean, but I think the shift has been very subtle, nowhere near as brutal as some other recent games we could mention.

There was always the option to run and gun in all the Hitman games, but they really started signposting and handholding as the series went on. The first couple required a lot of thought and patience, but they were considered brutally unforgiving by most gamers (and they were in truth, but some people like that).

Every genre has it's hardcore end, but it feels to me like there really aren't any hardcore stealth games anymore.
  • Load_2.0 23 Jul 2010 13:32:32 19,147 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Load "$" wrote:
    kalel wrote:

They should make a videogame based around that style of play, I reckon it would do well.

You need a closet hiding sim. "Hide and Seek champion 2010!"
  • StarchildHypocrethes 23 Jul 2010 13:33:02 25,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    An airport one would definitely be good.

One set on a plane in-flight could be quite cool too. Trying to complete multiple objectives whilst not being rumbled by loads of passengers and cabin crew, before parachuting out the undercarriage doors.
  • smoothpete 23 Jul 2010 13:35:19 31,495 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kalel is right about the signposting and hand-holding, but I think that improved Blood Money rather than diminished it. Hitman 2 felt a lot more random, like you could be patient and plan your way in, but really it could go wrong at any point during the process in which case it was revert to Plan B, ie all out assault, Load $ style. I didn't have many Plan B moments in Blood Money, which made it more satisfying to me (personally speaking)
  • Anthony_UK 23 Jul 2010 13:37:18 2,481 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd lost intrest in the Hitman series after they announced Hitman 5 would be a cover based shooter to cater to the Gears of War/MW2 crowd and the more casual gamer.

Hopefully i've not tempted fate with that naughty lie
  • smoothpete 23 Jul 2010 13:39:38 31,495 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    An airport one would definitely be good.

One set on a plane in-flight could be quite cool too. Trying to complete multiple objectives whilst not being rumbled by loads of passengers and cabin crew, before parachuting out the undercarriage doors.
    ahem
    smoothpete wrote:
    The Hitman forums are interesting, loads of level ideas. I thought an airport would be really cool, lots of good options around that. Having to get through security, getting a baggage handlers clothes, or a pilot, having to infiltrate a flight, then you if you're the pilot you could plow the plane into a mountain and bail out last minute, or lob the target out of a door, loads of possibilities
    smoothpete wrote:
    This are just copied and pasted from that forum. Hire this guy IO!

Where Eagles Dare

Background: An engineer for Company A has copied plans for an experimental device and plans to sell them to a foreign competitor. Our client doesn't want to see this happen, and has hired you to kill both the engineer and those buying the plans. As we don't know which company is making the purchase, we have arranged for you to take the same flight as the engineer to this meet, which is supposed to occur as soon as the plane lands at its destination. You are to eliminate the engineer before the plane touches down, switch the plans in his briefcase with fakes, plant a GPS tracking device with the plans so we may find out who the buyer is, and conduct the deal yourself.
    Primary objectives:
    Eliminate engineer
    Replace plans with falsified plans and GPS device
    Conduct deal
    Ensure buyer's liaison survives
    Optional objectives
    Retrieve money briefcase
    Targets and NPCs: Engineer, air marshals on flight (3-6), airport security guards, liaison, liaison's bodyguards (3-5), pilot and copilot, flight attendants, concession employees, 2 janitors, 20+ passengers, 30+ civilians at terminal, emergency crew (firemen and paramedics), 7 other rival nation's thugs
    Public areas: First class, coach, most of airport, parking lot
    Restricted areas: cabin, baggage, guard stations and maintenance areas at airport
    Execution methods: Weapon retrieval- If you take any firearms or bombs with you, they will be in an ICA box in the baggage area of the jet. You start with all other basic equipment and the GPS and fake plans.

Eliminate engineer- he likes to flirt with the flight attendants, drink a lot, and will use the restroom once during the flight. There's two options for an accident kill- chucking him down the hatch into the baggage area, and trying to rig it so you push him out the door for a very long fall, although this will cause decompression and attract a ton of unwanted attention from the air marshals and others. (see notes below) If you let him live to make the deal, both him and the liaison are killed by the rival nation thugs for a mission fail.

Replace plans with falsified plans and GPS device- grab engineer's briefcase and select it to do so.

Ensure buyer's liaison survives- Upon landing, Diana will tell you that a nation rival to Company A's country has somehow found out about the deal, and plans to steal the plans for themselves. Conducting the deal initiates their attack, if you want a shoot-out style escape scenario. To SA it this way, you have to guide the liaison through the best route to his car while his guards are killed off one-by-one. A couple thugs will be gunning for him, but he follows your every move quickly, so it's only moderately difficult. The thugs are listed as optional targets, so one could take them out before the deal takes place.

Weapons:
    Generic handgun type (air marshals, liaison guards)
    Generic SMG type (rival thugs)
    Fireaxe (emergency crew)
    Defibrillators (emergency crew)
    Fire extinguisher (emergency crew, random placement airport)
    Screwdriver (janitor closet)
    Knife (concession stand)

Notes: Causing too much damage to the plane's body, breaking a window, or opening an outer door causes decompression, an emergency alarm to sound, and oxygen masks to drop. In order to survive this, both the pilot and copilot must be in the cockpit when it happens, else plane crashes for mission fail. This causes the plane to land sooner than expected if you do survive. If this was caused by an opened exterior door, you (or an air martial) can close it before it's too late, regardless if either or both pilots are missing from the cockpit. The plane is on autopilot for most of the flight, so it is possible to kill everyone on board and land the plane yourself, though it may be tricky to leave the plane and conduct the deal under such circumstances. The plane lands in 7 minutes, or once a trigger event occurs followed by you taking your seat- the engineer dies and his body is either hidden, or found (if found, it causes problems leaving the plane), any dead body is discovered, or an air marshal deems you a threat.
    ;)
  • the_dudefather 23 Jul 2010 13:41:21 9,284 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blood money was great for it's unexpected twists, like stealing the guide tour's outfit, only for tourists to start following you around

The hitman games were usually pretty good with giving you a bit of wiggle room in regards to stealth, most of my first attempts at killing someone would be sneak all the way to the target, then end up shooting my way out, then when you replayed it, you could eventually figure out a more subtle way of doing it, which felt awesome

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• StarchildHypocrethes 23 Jul 2010 13:41:49 25,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aha! I must have seen that before, which planted the seed in my head :)

Would be damned cool.
  • L_Franko Moderator 23 Jul 2010 13:44:39 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did remember reading someones ideas for the new one I just forgot who it was otherwise i'd have said your name, smoothpete :)
  • smoothpete 23 Jul 2010 13:46:57 31,495 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had the idea that an airport / plane level could be cool, but the main bit of that text with the fleshed out mission parameters and shit was nicked off the Hitman forum. There are some very imaginative guys on there, tons of great ideas :)
  • jozz 23 Jul 2010 13:55:03 4,871 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having to break into a prison, take out a prisoner or the warden and then get back out again would be a good one. The layout would suit a Hitman level really well.
  • Load_2.0 23 Jul 2010 13:57:23 19,147 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Set a level on a crime ridden UK estate.

Offing scumbags in stairwells would be fun.
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Jul 2010 13:57:31 35,507 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    There was always the option to run and gun in all the Hitman games, but they really started signposting and handholding as the series went on. The first couple required a lot of thought and patience, but they were considered brutally unforgiving by most gamers (and they were in truth, but some people like that).

Every genre has it's hardcore end, but it feels to me like there really aren't any hardcore stealth games anymore.

I don't think there was more signposting or handholding in BM than in the previous games, it was just that it offered (the always possible guns-blazing aside) more options how to solve each level, which naturally means it's a tad easier, while the first two games often required you to find the one (often a little absurd) solution the devs had intended.

I think BM was a better game than the previous due to this, but if the "puzzle-solving" of the first two was the main attraction for you, I see your point.

edit:
    Oh, and an airport level would be cool. Surprised noone ever mentions this! :)
  • L_Franko Moderator 23 Jul 2010 13:58:29 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It will be interesting to see what new little moves you might be able to pull off in the new one.
    It's been a few years now since BM so i'm guessing there will be a few new way of doing up close and personal kills.

It would be quite cool if there was a way to frame NPC after you have killed someone. Planting guns on people just before they wake up after being drugged or something like that.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 23 Jul 2010 13:58:44 25,602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blood Money was just plain fuppin' excellent.

The number of ways to complete each mission was absolutely amazing.
  • w00t 23 Jul 2010 13:59:09 11,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love Hitman. I even like the film :)

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Page

of 43 First / Last

Previous