Tactics Ogre Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Oh-Bollox 2 Feb 2011 17:58:25 5,280 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    15% off it at zavvi with those rewardyourthirst codes.
  • Deleted user 7 February 2011 23:34:40
    First review is in: http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/114/1148122p1.html

9.0 for gameplay, but they seem to have problems with the graphics and interface. The graphics seem quite charming to me, but I like retro 2d.
  • Obiwanshinobi 8 Feb 2011 07:25:31 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cosmopolitan wrote:
    And you could throw rocks on your opponents to do a 1-point damage.
    Throwing rocks isn't for that 1-point damage; it's for the experience points (this way low level characters can get many XP without getting slaughtered by counterattack). The whole game is like that (I'm talking the PSX port; it's not worth playing emulated since there's a fan translation patch for the Super Famicom original). Levelling up in that game is like having a wank not because you want to, but because you need some cum so to speak. It gets more enjoyable once you can resurrect your dudes on the real battlefield, but for most human beings it comes too late in the day.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2011 22:30:00
    A+ from 1up
    http://www.1up.com/reviews/tactics-ogre-review?pager.offset=0

9/10 Game Informer
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/tactics_ogre_let_us_cling_together/b/psp/archive/2011/02/08/a-new-vision-for-an-old-masterpiece.aspx

This is going to be special, PSP owners need to get their wallets out
  • RunningMan 9 Feb 2011 22:32:23 2,421 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hope it's cheap (reasonable) on PSN.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2011 22:37:04
    Has it definitely been confirmed for PSN? I think they've only announced UMD so far... maybe HiddenAway knows?
  • HiddenAway 9 Feb 2011 22:39:15 14,905 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Porco wrote:
    Has it definitely been confirmed for PSN? I think they've only announced UMD so far... maybe HiddenAway knows?

Only a UMD release is confirmed. I've heard absolutely nothing in terms of a PSN release - and we all know by now who the worst offenders are when it comes to putting UMD titles on PSN (Lord of Arcana being the exception - that was a shock - but then it's not reviewing well either).

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Deleted user 9 February 2011 22:41:00
    Wow, you're quick!
  • HiddenAway 9 Feb 2011 22:51:33 14,905 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Porco wrote:
    Wow, you're quick!

Using the new style forum, the threads on some sections get stuck sometimes, and it's happened right now. So, I'm constantly checking the threads to see if someone replied to a request I had :).

• samk 10 Feb 2011 11:27:03 703 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Porco wrote:
    A+ from 1up
    http://www.1up.com/reviews/tactics-ogre-review?pager.offset=0

Sold! This looks absolutely great. I didn't play this first time around, so really looking forward to this psp version. Just pre-ordered it.
  • HiddenAway 14 Feb 2011 14:41:12 14,905 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hell freezes over, the US have a PSN version coming on release day

Shame the EU release is the week after - no telling what Square-Enix Europe is going to do :p

• michaelius 14 Feb 2011 15:54:33 809 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks like NGP effect works ;)
  • Pirotic Moderator 15 Feb 2011 18:27:50 20,647 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The game is pretty good, but either I'm missing something obvious or it's completely and utterly flawed when it comes to shopping.

When you buy armour/weapons it only tells you the stats, so how on earth am I supposed to know if it's better than the stuff I have equiped? I expected some kind of number to indicate how many people can wear it, and for how many it's better than what they've got - but nope.

Same for spells, it shows how many you already have in your inventory - but once you've used it (learnt it) it just shows as 0, so I never know which spells I have already got.

:p
  • Feanor 15 Feb 2011 18:49:24 14,175 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    People are complaining about that in the GAF thread. I may need to pick up the guide from Amazon to get around this issue. I assume it has some decent equipment lists.
  • Pirotic Moderator 15 Feb 2011 18:53:45 20,647 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The problem is you get tons and tons of equipment in the shops, each with a ton of stats. Considering you can have dozens of people in your team it becomes quite simply impossible to remember who has what and if something is better or not.

What I'm having to do is go to the shop, buy the most expensive items 10x over. Go through each member of my team and do 'auto equip' and then if when I try to sell, I have 0 I know I need to buy more, else I flog them.

It's a complete deal breaker, the skill and magic system is just as bad. Renders the game unplayable because you lose a fortune buying/selling and get your ass handed to you in battles when somebody dies in one hit (or does 1 damage) and you realize you fucked up not buying enough of everything.

I must assume I'm missing something though, because there is no way it can score highly if it really is as bad as it seems.
  • Feanor 16 Feb 2011 01:06:42 14,175 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Here's some advice that may help from the GAF thread. My copy is being sent via Amazon's free shipping, so it's a probably week away.

There's no direct way to compare which classes have learned what spell but you can tell how many members of your party have learned it. So it isn't too hard to figure out from there.

As for weapons, you should be able to see the weapon's stats by hitting square and then pressing right or left when you've selected it in the shop menu. It should give you a list of the skills the weapon has if anyone, who can equip it, and I think the stats.

There are certainly elements of the UI that could use some improvement but it's pretty usable. I will agree with crafting though, Crafting is too much work, needs to let you do it in bulk.
  • Fernando 24 Feb 2011 07:02:55 636 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    so as someone who loved jeanne d'arc psp, would i enjoy this? i didnt really enjoy final fantasy tactics psp tho
  • BeebleB 24 Feb 2011 15:16:35 934 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fernando wrote:
    so as someone who loved jeanne d'arc psp, would i enjoy this? i didnt really enjoy final fantasy tactics psp tho

Possibly although it is much closer to ff tactics in game style(most of the people who made this went on to make ff tactics).

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• Gizoku 25 Feb 2011 12:05:08 6 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Really enjoying this and put about 5 hours in so far, I'm a big fan of Matsuno.

Has anyone else tried the Vagrant Story 50% off code that came with it? Mine doesn't work...
  • Tuffty 25 Feb 2011 14:50:47 1,609 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ordered this from Play on Wed and it's still packing. I was hoping to play it over the weekend! :(
  • Rufus 25 Feb 2011 16:45:26 1,754 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got the special edition from Gamestation (where it's 29.99). Traded in loads of old ps2/wii games and got a further fiver off just for trading!

The packaging alone is a thing of beauty. Time to unwrap methinks!

/drools
  • michaelius 26 Feb 2011 12:25:25 809 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone seen it below 20 pounds ?
  • redcrayon 26 Feb 2011 16:14:58 4,558 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mine turned up this morning. Unfortuantely, my PSP's battery is dead after months of zero use, and I need to wait for that to charge so I can do a system update.

It seems that every time I want to use my PS3 or PSP they need updating. Maybe I just don't play them enough, but it's getting annoying.

Annnnyway, really looking forward to getting stuck into this in a couple of hours time.
  • samk 27 Feb 2011 00:15:03 703 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any tips for Qadriga Fortress? Keep getting absolutely spanked. I've only got one character with Exorcism, and his MP doesn't charge up fast enough to get rid of dead zombies so the bastards keep re-animating. Meanwhile all their ranged units up on the ramparts are having a field fucking day shredding my weaker units.
  • Agent_Llama 27 Feb 2011 08:44:10 3,359 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Very impressed with this so far, it's been beautifully updated. Having to resist playing it properly though as I'm nearly at the end of Dragon Quest IX and will end up with another unfinished RPG if I start Tactics properly :-S

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• michaelius 27 Feb 2011 08:56:54 809 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    It seems that every time I want to use my PS3 or PSP they need updating. Maybe I just don't play them enough, but it's getting annoying.

IIRC there was one or two updates since last summer ;)
  • redcrayon 27 Feb 2011 11:31:35 4,558 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    samk wrote:
    Any tips for Qadriga Fortress? Keep getting absolutely spanked. I've only got one character with Exorcism, and his MP doesn't charge up fast enough to get rid of dead zombies so the bastards keep re-animating. Meanwhile all their ranged units up on the ramparts are having a field fucking day shredding my weaker units.

Here's how I did it-

Don't give him time to re-animate- if you slow down to try and kill and then exorcise the undead, you won't do it. Take a full squad of fighters (preferably knights/rune fencers with healing magic, along with the flying dude), and leave your mages and archers at home- the enemy force is mostly missile/magic troops and their height advantage will kill your light troops quickly.

Charge straight up, healing yourself as you go, and don't stop to fight unless it won't take you out of your way. Get to the necromancer as quickly as possible, surround him to stop ihm running away, and beat the shit out of him.

It's not subtle, but it worked for me!

If you haven't bought the skill 'divine magic' for your knights and fencers, keep moving over the map until you trigger a random encounter or two, that'll give you the skill points to buy it. You'll also need to buy several 'heal' grimoires from a shop.'
  • redcrayon 27 Feb 2011 11:32:20 4,558 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    michaelius wrote:
    redcrayon wrote:

IIRC there was one or two updates since last summer ;)

Yeah, I haven't played on the PSP since then. My fault really. ;-)
  • erp 28 Feb 2011 11:03:56 149 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey,

I got to that same level samk mentioned last night and suffered a similarly disastrous defeat.

I'm going to give it a few more attempts before I read redcrayon's spoiler'd tips, but I've got a sneaky feeling I may be paying another visit to this thread later tonight...
  • samk 28 Feb 2011 11:37:57 703 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @redcrayon, thanks for the tips. I've now tried rushing at the boss as suggested but my crew got cut down before sufficient numbers could get up near him. I figure my crew are just underleveled for this mission so I've moved on for now.

Completed the mission involving saving Cistina, but good god it was frustrating. Stupid bint kept charging headlong into all the enemies and getting herself killed. Just seemed total pot luck if she'd survive long enough for my healers to get close enough to keep her health topped up.

Clearly a great game but I suspect I'm going to get mighty pissed off with difficulty spikes at some points.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last