Tactics Ogre Page 7

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • michaelius 6 May 2011 13:51:18 809 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Story ending spoiler
    How did it end for you guys ? In my gameplay through Chaotic path i lost Catiua so after i finished story they crowned Denan as king and bang someone from Wallister resistance shooted him just after corronation? Are there separate endings only for diffrent paths or would it be diffrent if i saved sister ?
  • samk 8 May 2011 09:53:50 703 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just done the Heim missions and killed Brantyn. I think my troops are a bit underlevelled as I took a bit of a pasting from Brantyn, so I'm going to do some of the side quests before attempting the hanging gardens area.

Thank Ye Gods for the Charm spell - I had both my witch Sherri and my Enchantress repeatedly charming all his Terror Knights, who gradually killed their own healers and other back line troops. If if wasn't for Charm I'd have been properly mullered.

I've still got Catiua (currently training her up in her Princess class) so I'll let you know how it ends for me when I eventually finish it.
  • samk 29 Jun 2011 20:19:23 703 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is anyone still playing this?

I'm 95 hours into it now, my troops are all around level 24 and reckon I've seen all there is to see and it's time to knock it on the head and move on. Must be nearing the end now - I've played about a dozen of these Hanging Gardens levels.
  • samk 10 Jul 2011 11:11:03 703 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    michaelius wrote:
    Story ending spoiler
    How did it end for you guys ? In my gameplay through Chaotic path i lost Catiua so after i finished story they crowned Denan as king and bang someone from Wallister resistance shooted him just after corronation? Are there separate endings only for diffrent paths or would it be diffrent if i saved sister ?

I've now completed the main story.

Catiua was crowned as Queen, a bunch of my troops went their separate ways and there was peace in Valeria. Basically it was the lengthy LOTR-style happy ending.

At the very end after the credits there were three hooded figures of the Dark Knight Order getting on a ship and a "to be continued"...

I hope Square are working on some more remakes like this, they would be a day one purchase for me.

Tremendous remake, loved all of it except for the crafting, which I still maintain is utter shit.

None of my troops lost any of their 3 hearts until the final battle, due to the end boss casting a spell to prevent resurrection. Very annoying.
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 11:57:37
    Have you tried using the world tarot to go back to any of the story branch points?
  • samk 11 Jul 2011 15:10:46 703 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, I've knocked this game on the head now. 100 hours, I've seen everything I want to. Time to move on.

Advice I'd impart to anyone just starting out is that unless you're going to invest 100s of hours then you won't end up with enough skill points to improve all the skills you'd like to on each character (in fact nowhere near enough), so heavily customise character skills according to their roles.

Perhaps this is obvious advice, but the temptation is that when you've got a few hundred skill points on a character to spend it immediately on other level 1 skills. It's much better to save up skill points so they have skills at level 3+ rather than loads of level 1 skills they probably won't end up outfitting anyway.

I ended up with several middle of the road characters with their skill points spread out too much, and therefore not really much use for anything. For instance, I tried to build up some characters who could do a bit of fighting and offensive spell casting, but they ended up lagging well behind on both counts. My most useful characters by the end were without doubt those that had a bunch of level 3 skills (Rampart Aura 3 being particularly awesome on melee tanks).
  • Murbal 11 Jul 2011 15:39:03 22,236 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Must get into this. Far too many distractions on the PSP.
  • consignia 11 Jul 2011 15:44:20 1,433 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I blindly bought this a week or so a go, and started over the weekend. It's quite interesting, but it feels quite overwhelming at first, but what's really concerning me is the length. 60-75 hours is my limit these days, but that seems to only scratch the surface of this game. Lord knows what it must be like to 100% something like this.
  • Grump 11 Jul 2011 15:46:14 1,180 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished this - took about 80 hours. I think I got one of the crap endings Catiua killed herself and I died at the end but I'm fine to leave it at that.

Just got FF tactics as a replacement. I hope it's as good!
  • samk 11 Jul 2011 17:04:05 703 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    consignia wrote:
    I blindly bought this a week or so a go, and started over the weekend. It's quite interesting, but it feels quite overwhelming at first, but what's really concerning me is the length. 60-75 hours is my limit these days, but that seems to only scratch the surface of this game. Lord knows what it must be like to 100% something like this.

Yeah I put 100 hours into it and got my troops to about level 25, yet barely scratched the surface of the advanced side dungeons. Apparently the likes of the Palace of the Dead and Pirate's Graveyard have several-dozen maps each (I did about 5 maps in each), and the fourth tier of skills start unlocking at about level 40.
  • Tuffty 11 Jul 2011 17:21:12 1,599 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally got past a battle against Xapan that held me back and discouraged me from playing it for a while. As a result I've kind of lost a grip on the story and will probably need to go back into the Warren Report and get back up to speed.
  • michaelius 12 Jul 2011 14:39:17 809 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    consignia wrote:

60 hours is fine for finishing whole storyline
  • Tuffty 27 Aug 2011 19:29:21 1,599 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FUCK. ME.

Picked this up again after having left it for a month or so and I'm still struggling. I think this game really punishes you for wanting to experiment with other team mates/classes. I can't even build my class levels up because the enemy team will have like 2 archers. Or even worse, any time I'm dealing with monsters like dragons or those octopus things, I have characters that can only deal 1 dmg point to them when attacking, meaning I have to rely on my wizard, except he can't kill them fast enough with the amount of turns it takes to regen MP for the powerful spells, by which the dragon uses that fucking tail whip and most likely kills the wizard or my only healer...

Not only that, but I have about a Lvl 8 Ninja, yet her ninjitsu attacks still show only capable of dealing 1pt of damage? What am I doing wrong?

Fuck this. I want to like this game, I really do, but it's like I put in 40 mins of work (cause that's what it feels like right about now) and all my progress is lost. Maybe I need better...tactics? lol
  • Deleted user 28 August 2011 01:36:42
    The way the class system is done in the remake makes the game a chore, there's no doubt.

You should try to take into battle a team that are mostly at the same level, only one or two that are lower.
    The lower level characters should hang around at the back and not participate too much. Eventually their levels will catch up to the others.

Alternatively you could take your lower level characters into random battles to get their levels up. Just make sure again that they are all around the same level as each other, because the enemy level scales to yours. Even if you take one much higher level character into battle with them, it will raise the enemy levels and the rest of your team will struggle to do damage.

Ninjitsu is useless unless it is used on someone with the same or lower level.

It's a shame they designed it that way because the newer classes are awesome once they are levelled up and make the game much more fun and varied.
  • michaelius 28 Aug 2011 09:49:34 809 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sadly most efficient way of levelling new classes is having one new guy in your party and using him to give mana potions to mages.
  • Feanor 10 Jan 2012 22:11:23 14,169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I finally almost at the final battle after around 80 hours. I just wish I had read about using Tynemouth Hill with just Denam and a couple of other characters being the best way to level up quickly earlier.
  • Tuffty 11 Jan 2012 09:09:35 1,599 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tried playing it again a few months ago, after putting it down for some time due to frustration with it, and something just managed to click. My biggest frustration was levelling up new classes as I would always get overrun. Read though that the best option was to only take one low level class into battle. Had a much more successful time as a result. Perfect time sink when I'm travelling home from work on the train.

I've a question though that I can't find the answer to. My ninja is a decent character now, her double attack command is really handy. But her ninjitsu spells still only do 1pt damage even at Lvl 15. What am I missing here?
  • samk 11 Jan 2012 12:48:37 703 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I tried to get an effective Ninja but even by the end of the main story she was still only doing 1 damage with Ninjitsu. :( I figure I chose a character unsuited to the class and/or the class wasn't levelled up enough.

Yeah you definitely need to limit the number of underlevelled classes you bring into battles. I usually brought one underlevelled class into each battle (inc story battles) and just left that character bringing up the rear using health items. Eventually when the class had reached roughly the same level as the rest of my troops, they could join the front lines and do their job properly.

Edited by samk at 12:50:02 11-01-2012
  • Tuffty 11 Jan 2012 14:11:19 1,599 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was wondering why I couldn't recruit any monsters to my party either, my beastmaster kept getting 0% even with the dragon's health down to 1. Couldn't figure it out, but turns out you need to have the recruiter literally right next to the chosen enemy. Despite the fact that the skill has some serious range where you can choose any enemy from a distance. Thanks for telling me TO.

Edited by Tuffty at 14:12:10 11-01-2012
  • Deleted user 11 January 2012 14:30:31
    The dragon's loyalty has to be low as well. It's easier to recruit on a random battle than a story mission because of loyalty
  • brn 22 Apr 2012 09:12:48 231 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This game is HARD. I find that I have to rush to the target more and more, and I feel massively underpowered. Still I've managed to get through most of Chapter III. Most of my characters are down to one life I've only recruited one character (beacuse the original rune fencer always died first). Am I playing this wrong?

Should I try and recruit some new guys and level them up. I'm curious about the other classes and various beasts (that can be recruited, right?)
  • Alastair 18 Jun 2012 11:26:50 15,807 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just picked this up to play on holiday.
    It's my first Tactics Ogre game - I've enjoyed several Fire Emblem games and I'm hoping there are some similarities.
    Any tips for getting started? Strategies - like, is there a weapon triangle like in FE?
  • Deleted user 18 June 2012 13:11:50
    @Alastair Recruiting characters is best achieved when directly beside them, despite the range of recruit.

There is no weapon triangle. Weapons level up with use. By the time you reach second tier you should have access to a powerful finishing move so its worth sticking with one or two i.e sword and bow, sword and shield etc.

Balance the party with melee ranged and spells. And mix a party up as well.

Also try and include a low level character in each fight as if its done late in the game its very hard to keep them safe.

Learn to recruit monsters early as you get a lot of Goth for them and they can get very powerful.

Oh and balance magic. I found it better to have a set mage for water/ice fire/earth etc.

Hope that helps.
  • Alastair 18 Jun 2012 13:19:01 15,807 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @WeakOrbit
    Thanks - I made a start on the game last night, but literally fell asleep after two mins. Heavy Saturday night!! ;)
    I will try to get going before my 3hr flight to Greece on Sat, so that I can play on the plane and know what I am actualy doing.
  • Wavey 3 Feb 2014 22:07:00 377 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just picked this up myself and its very difficult. I think I may have made a mistake picking it up, but I will give it a fair crack!
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next