Tactics Ogre Page 5

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Spectral 30 Mar 2011 16:32:34 4,949 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elvenscroll wrote:
    Grump wrote:
    I paid 27 because I'm a numpty with a PSP Go who can't buy games from anywhere apart from PSN.

I recently bought a PSP Go (after trading my slim on here). I quickly realised I had made a mistake, so I listed it on ebay for 75. It was snapped up within 12 hours. I then bought a brand new slim for 73. I had already redeemed the 10 free games offer so these are downloadable and useable on my new PSP. ;)

Anyway, on topic. I have ordered Tactics Ogre from gamestation for the bargain 11.99 price. Its listed as the standard edition, but I noticed someone in the bargains thread said that game sent the premium edition, despite listing it as the standard. Hoping that GS do the same.

Where did you get a slim for 73?
  • Kay 30 Mar 2011 16:37:49 17,402 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Even as a PSP Go owner I'm really tempted by the 12 price, seeing as it's a premium edition. I'm not an SRPG noob (I enjoyed Disgaea and VCII), but I'm wary after reading comments about the complexity of TO. How bad is it, exactly, and is everything explained fairly well in-game?
  • Deleted user 30 March 2011 16:52:44
    There is a little tutorial section in the warren report, but it only really explains the basics.
    If you press select on any screen you do get a lot of help through bullet points that you can hover over.

Im not going to lie, it's not as accessible as Disgaea or even FFT. You may hate it for the first few hours. But once you get used to it you'll be fine. It just takes a bit of patience.

• elvenscroll 30 Mar 2011 19:15:50 1,344 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    elvenscroll wrote:
    Grump wrote:
    I paid 27 because I'm a numpty with a PSP Go who can't buy games from anywhere apart from PSN.

I recently bought a PSP Go (after trading my slim on here). I quickly realised I had made a mistake, so I listed it on ebay for 75. It was snapped up within 12 hours. I then bought a brand new slim for 73. I had already redeemed the 10 free games offer so these are downloadable and useable on my new PSP. ;)

Anyway, on topic. I have ordered Tactics Ogre from gamestation for the bargain 11.99 price. Its listed as the standard edition, but I noticed someone in the bargains thread said that game sent the premium edition, despite listing it as the standard. Hoping that GS do the same.

Where did you get a slim for 73?

Also ebay. Admittedly it is a 2003, but it was new and sealed and more use to me that the Psp go.

Ogre arrived today, happy to report that it is also the premium edition. Looking forward to cracking on with it.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• michaelius 30 Mar 2011 19:41:09 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm did you guys get soundtrack cd? Mine only came with promo code and artbook?
  • elvenscroll 30 Mar 2011 20:40:49 1,344 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    michaelius wrote:
    Hmm did you guys get soundtrack cd? Mine only came with promo code and artbook?

Yes, a 'mini' one. About 6 tracks.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• michaelius 31 Mar 2011 16:48:42 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Are there any good guides online with class and equipment description?
  • erp 1 Apr 2011 12:54:50 146 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've stopped playing. I don't know exactly what it is, but I'd not played the game for a few days and then picked it up again last night. I continued my save at the beginning of a battle near the end of Chapter 2... but then I just stared blankly at the screen, and the realisation came that I don't want to play this anymore. I just couldn't face moving my little men around again.

So for me, after 30+ hours, it's over - and don't get me wrong, I'm not one to put games down half-finished or to have multiple on the go at once (not anymore). Maybe I'll come back to it, I don't know yet.

And then I started Darksiders on PS3 instead.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2011 13:10:03
    It's a strange game. Sometimes I'm playing it thinking it's the best thing ever, other times I think to myself I'm wasting my time and I'm not really enjoying it.

I think it's an easy game to get sick of if you overplay it. I've considered taking a break myself, but I just can't stop, it's like a drug.

If it's any help I think chapter 3 is a lot better than chapter 2 (but a lot longer)
  • michaelius 1 Apr 2011 14:31:44 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doh and actually how many chapters are there. I have 5 hours already in and i'm still somewhere in chapter 1 :)

Hmm actually is there any point in recruting units with money? There seems to be a lot of people joining on the way

Also is there something i'm missing in Berserker class? It seems to have only disadvantages so far compared to Knights/Rune Lancers or even pure Warriors.
  • samk 1 Apr 2011 14:47:26 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are 4 chapters I think. I'm in chapter 3 and about 30 hours in. Apparently there are loads of optional quests in chapter 4 (I've read that some of them take longer than chapters 1-3 combined), so it seems like the chapters get longer and longer.

No there's not really much point spending money to recruit new blood. You'll get given loads of unique characters, and from what I've seen they're all better than the ones you can buy.

I've got a level 16 Beserker. He does more melee damage than any of my other units.
  • Tuffty 4 Apr 2011 00:52:34 1,392 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, kinda wish I read that before I brought in 3 new guys for the sole purpose of bringing in new classes to my roster. Berserker, beast tamer and rogue. And I changed Denam's class into a Shadow Warrior (?). Went into a fight and got owned by those octopus monsters. My berserker, at Lvl.1 obviously, had over half her health taken away by a single hit from a sword swipe. Oh dear. Guess I'll have to include my A-team and replace one of them with one of the new characters in order to get them levelled up.
  • erp 4 Apr 2011 09:21:06 146 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks @Porco, that makes feel a little better (or at least, slightly less worthless) for putting the game aside for now.

For the past few years now I've been a "one game at a time, to completion" type of person, after spending far too many years not finishing games and being distracted by the next new shiny thing that comes along.

And on the whole it's proven to be an entirely more satisfying and enriching gaming experience (for me).

But perhaps, on this occasion, that philosophy has worked against me - perhaps a gaming diet consisting solely of Tactics Ogre was just too much for me to take...
  • samk 4 Apr 2011 11:29:03 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Tuffty, yeah new classes you're trying to level up will get absolutely mullered if you let the AI attack them, as the AI likes picking on your weaker characters. I believe it determines which of your characters it will attack on a given turn by using the most damage it could inflict, which of course will be on lower level classes. I only bring one or two low level characters at most into a battle and leave them at the back with the healer, mostly just using items to keep the healer topped up with MP.

@Erp, I know what you mean about only playing one game at a time. I'm the same...apart from with JRPGs. Of course, JRPGs can take many hours to complete, so I'll typically have one JRPG and one other game on-the-go at any one time, and usually complete several of the 'other games' in the time it takes to finish the JRPG.
  • Feanor 4 Apr 2011 14:40:43 13,921 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I finally got into this on the weekend. It's a good game to play while there's football on the TV.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2011 16:42:12
    Completely agree samk, only bring one or two low level classes to a story battle, and keep them at the back.
    Not once recruited anyone from the shop, as you will get loads of new characters on the way. It is well worth taming dragons from random battles though if you can, when they are levelled up they are really handy.

For newcomers to the game:
    One good place to level up new classes is Phorampa Wildwood. You can access there in either chapter 2 or 3. Keep a look out for it.
    If you do, only take your low level classes into the battles (your enemies will scale to the same levels) and by the end of all the Wildwood stages your new classes will be right up there with your old ones (depending on how high your top classes are of course).
    Infact, I'd recommend not using up to 6 classes until you get to the Wildwood so that you can level them up all together then.

Edit: It might be a good idea to wait until Chapter 3 to go to the Wildwood as you'll have more new classes to play with. Though, I'm not sure if it is accessible on all story paths.
  • Feanor 4 Apr 2011 17:10:52 13,921 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks for the tip. I'm only 5 hours in, and all I have are the standard classes so far.
  • SilentTristero 6 Apr 2011 16:07:15 288 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone ordered this from Game, at 11.99? The picture is of a regular copy, but I've heard it's still the Premium Edition that is sent out.

The Premium Ed. is also 16.98 in-store now, as well (Along with Lords of Arcana).
  • Deleted user 6 April 2011 16:19:16
    All copies should be premium, as the back of the standard case states "Not to be sold separately".
  • SilentTristero 6 Apr 2011 16:27:30 288 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Excellent, I wasn't sure if there was a none-Premium I hadn't seen yet.

Ordered!
  • Deleted user 7 April 2011 09:15:48
    This game is fantastic, but Christ almighty, the missions where guest characters are capable of perma-dying (whether it results in a game over or not) can be extremely frustrating. It's difficult to support them when they start further forward than you, and they often go charging into the opposition with no regard for their own safety.
  • michaelius 7 Apr 2011 09:46:22 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's good to have Knights and Rune Fencers with heal rushing forward in such missions also the flying guy is golden for such cases if you give him skill to use more advanced consumables. Also I think you can throw healing potions at them from a far using those sling like weapons in ranged class.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2011 09:52:06
    michaelius wrote:
    It's good to have Knights and Rune Fencers with heal rushing forward in such missions also the flying guy is golden for such cases if you give him skill to use more advanced consumables. Also I think you can throw healing potions at them from a far using those sling like weapons in ranged class.

Yeah, lobbers. They're great for rescue missions.
  • Grump 7 Apr 2011 12:09:52 1,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always assumed they were meant to die as part of the story...
  • michaelius 7 Apr 2011 12:45:06 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Grump wrote:
    I always assumed they were meant to die as part of the story...

Who knows but anyway if you save them they are usually kickass characters more powerfull than normal units.

I'm especially impressed by chapter 2 spoiler Thundermaiden - she is like a guided tomahawk missile and real killer against all the support classes hiding in the back
  • samk 8 Apr 2011 11:37:03 703 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New crafting guide has now been posted by someone on Gamefaqs. Looks like it contains locations for all the recipe books and a whacking great big list of the gear upgrades.
  • Grump 8 Apr 2011 13:08:11 1,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just started Chapter 3 and things are starting to get very tough.

Most my characters are at lvl 12/13. Does that sound about right for this stage of the game?
  • Feanor 8 Apr 2011 13:31:08 13,921 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    samk wrote:
    New crafting guide has now been posted by someone on Gamefaqs. Looks like it contains locations for all the recipe books and a whacking great big list of the gear upgrades.

The amount of hard work some people do on FAQs and then just give away for free is staggering.
  • Huntcjna 8 Apr 2011 13:34:57 13,870 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dear lord this game is complicated (but rewarding) I absolutely hate however that their is no equipment compare option in the store I am sick of rolling back three fucking menus to check if the stuff I am buying is better than my current equipment.
  • michaelius 8 Apr 2011 13:35:31 809 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Grump wrote:
    I've just started Chapter 3 and things are starting to get very tough.

Most my characters are at lvl 12/13. Does that sound about right for this stage of the game?

Yeah i had most at 13 at start of ch III too.

Don't forget that few well aimed finishing blows can usually solve any vanquish xxx person missions. At the cost of getting less loot.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last