New WRC Game Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Deleted user 15 September 2012 13:27:40
    Yup, can't keep myself away from the demo. Huge step forward for the series IMO. Handling is exciting without being too forgiving ala dirt, graphically pretty although still not exactly up with the top games. More than acceptable though, and way better than 2.

Tempted to go for a vita copy too if I can get past the horrible decision to use x for accelerate on that platform. There's a perfectly good right stick there for the taking. Whatever the case though, it's now day one for me on one of the consoles.
  • Rodney 23 Sep 2012 01:26:04 1,930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Day one for me too. I keep replaying the demo. So much fun. The handling is excellent. Perfect balance between arcade/sim for me.

Graphics are good enough.

I can myself trying to get golds on all those challenge mode things.

I'm not really into online multiplayer but I quite like high score games (Forza Rivals mode).

If anyone wants to add me to Xbox for some WRC3 leader board compeition, my tag is 'Robney' - I only have about two xbox friends :(
  • kentmonkey 23 Sep 2012 10:55:29 20,936 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm going to try the 360 demo as the PS3 demo I tried is absolutely nothing like any of you are describing.

You're either all wierd, or the versions are very different.
  • Deleted user 23 September 2012 12:57:49
    Or possibly different people find different things fun?
  • kentmonkey 23 Sep 2012 12:58:48 20,936 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd never, ever, thought of that before.
  • AaronTurner 23 Sep 2012 13:02:18 7,886 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still crap short stages or real rally stages?
  • MontyBrewster 23 Sep 2012 13:39:52 253 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Both!

Still only 5 mins but challenging tight & twisty stages this time. The stage in the PS3 demo was much better than anything I played in the first game. Had some steering ratio issues which should be sorted with the PC version, otherwise it looks very promising.
  • secombe 30 Sep 2012 13:03:29 1,332 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bought WRC 2 yesterday cheap to pass a bit of time until 3 comes out, love it. Proper underrated gem, I love the career aspect to it and it sounds like that's being expanded a fair bit in 3, so it will be an unusual 'day one' purchase for me.

Reminds me of Race Pro in many ways, very average production values (the translations are awesome in WRC 2!) but a great core mechanic underneath it all.
  • infoxicated 30 Sep 2012 14:12:51 1,243 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wanted to like this, but the demo just annoyed me - the steering was very twitchy to the point where it felt like the car had no weight. To be fair, I didn't try to figure out of this was something I could adjust seeing as it was a demo.

The audio felt primitive too, though - with the co-driver only reacting to a crash after it had happened or at the point of impact. That's old school like the trigger points in CoD, that is!

It has come along nicely from last year's game, I'll give it that, but it sort of makes me wish that Evo had kept going with the WRC license instead of going the cartoon racing route with Motorstorm.

Edited by infoxicated at 14:13:37 30-09-2012
  • Deleted user 30 September 2012 20:25:55
    I had a quick go on the demo earlier and yes, it is a big improvement on the previous titles. The presentation is better and the frame rate nice and stable now.

The only thing I'm not 100% on is the handling model. The car didn't feel anywhere near as slidey as I would like. Either gripping round the corners or fish tailing wildly. Couldn't been the road surface and or the car available in the demo.

I'm more interested in this than Horizon or any of the Dirt games though. Seems like driving games have to be flashy and gimmicky these days at the expense of an authentic motorsport feel. Might give it a try.

Edited by LeSpank at 20:26:49 30-09-2012
  • Syrette 30 Sep 2012 20:41:30 44,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @LeSpank

You played Horizon then?

• Deleted user 30 September 2012 20:45:04
    No. Why?
  • Monsieur_Blade 9 Oct 2012 11:24:00 357 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So this is out on Friday and just wondered how many people had preordered? No reviews up as yet but i guess they'll all start trickling through over the next few days.

I finally got round to trying the demo last night and it took me a couple of stages to get used to the handling but once i did i loved it! i really enjoyed the twitchy handling and u could really feel the difference between tarmac and dirt.

The graphics were pretty impressive too and the damage modeling seemed to be up to scratch (excuse the pun).

I've given myself a game buying ban until November as i need to clear my backlog but pretty sure this and pes 2013 will be my first purchases.

I'm really looking forward to getting into a proper career mode!
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 21:05:30
    I'm def getting it this week. Only issue is I'm away for a few days so won't be able to play. Which in turn has me close to caving on the vita version, despite the digital acceleration issue, just for a rallying fix while I'm away. Trouble is there's worryingly little info on the vita version.

I may just take one for the team and warn you lot if the vita version is a dog.
  • secombe 10 Oct 2012 06:58:32 1,332 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was on the fence with Forza coming out soon, but 30 on Amazon nailed it for me, Forza can wait till Christmas.
  • jellyBelly 10 Oct 2012 08:05:22 475 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So the release date for this on Vita seems to be all over the place. 12/10, 26/10 or 09/11? Is this a case of retailer indifference or bad marketing?

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• MontyBrewster 10 Oct 2012 08:41:49 253 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vita version Oct 26th. I'd be wary though with only 6 of 13 rallys at launch and 3 more coming as 'free' dlc. Sounds like a rush job.

http://www.facebook.com/wrcthegame
  • jellyBelly 10 Oct 2012 09:16:02 475 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oh its like that is it..

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• Deleted user 10 October 2012 09:19:07
    Thanks for the info. I'll bide my time with the vita version then.
  • Maturin 12 Oct 2012 11:33:23 3,236 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bloody annoying this doesn't seem to be available on Steam.
  • Rodney 12 Oct 2012 23:51:23 1,930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The reviews are starting to come in for this, seems to be averaging 6-7/10 but none of the reviews have really articulated well what they fault with it. Lots of comparisons that it lacks the style, variety and handling of Dirt. Also some criticisms that it has a steep and unforgiving learning curve. These are all positive points for me.

The fact that it's focused rally game appeals to me and I loved the handling model in the demo.

Graphics are good enough and I couldnt give a shit about game menus. I can live with the dubstep.

Ive ordered my copy. Robney H is my gamertag (360) if anyone wants to add me for some leaderboard challenges
  • Maturin 13 Oct 2012 00:07:31 3,236 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Most mainstream game journalists know bollocks all about niche simmy genres, ans so things like serious rally games and flight Sims will always get marked down. Your best bet is to check out the forums of driving games sites.
  • Rodney 13 Oct 2012 00:35:06 1,930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    True, I really don't get the 'lack of variety' criticism. Its like complaining an F1 games doesnt have off road sections.
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 09:37:27
    @Rodney same here mate. The less like dirt it is the more likely i am to enjoy it.

I will probably pick it up at some point. Look forward to hearing your impressions.
  • MontyBrewster 13 Oct 2012 10:06:42 253 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pretty much ignore mainstream reviews for these sort of games, the demo's out and forums will point out issues a game has.

Re the PC version it's in the Steam Greenlight program for some bizarre reason. Reading elsewhere it sounds a bit buggy with a lot of people having to disable audio at setup to get the game to run. Some reported that the digital version was missing some files so they had to run a pirated version!?! Running high AA kills the framerate, no mouse support & steering ratio seems to be locked at 200 degrees too.

I think i'll just wait till it turns up on Steam, assuming it's patched by then.
  • Monsieur_Blade 13 Oct 2012 10:24:45 357 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Rodney I'm glad it's not just me that's been annoyed by the reviews so far! All the criticisms that they seem to be throwing at the game are positives for me too!

I read one review that criticised the game for not having enough variety and for not being as exciting and charismatic as Dirt! It's a WRC game so of course it's gonna focus on the WRC Championship and not doing doughnuts in a car park!! The fact you can play a full WRC campaign and fight it out against the top drivers is the main reason I want the game! If I found out it was 'Americanised' like Dirt I'd run a mile!

I'm sure reviewers have no idea what race fans actually want from a game. Dirt suffered massive criticism for all the "Wow, dude, totally rad...." crap and short rally stages and yet WRC seems to have been marked down for removing that and actually being a serious racer.

From the demo alone, I'm gonna buy this but I just feel frustrated that a lot of people will dismiss it cos these idiot reviewers think it's too serious and straight - That's what a lot of people want from a rally game!!
  • MontyBrewster 13 Oct 2012 12:40:18 253 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Exactly, from the Gamespot review:

Without exaggeration, a single botched corner adds enough time to send you plummeting from first to seventh: great for veterans who want a challenge; less great for newcomers who just want to get around the track in one piece.
    If only there were driving aids available or adjustable AI difficulty, oh wait a minute :)
  • secombe 13 Oct 2012 14:15:59 1,332 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been playing for a few hours today. My opinions are mixed at the moment, it's certainly more polished and feels far more professional than WRC 2, the menus have a nice style to them and the in-game graphics are a big improvement (the sound is still terrible, in my opinion).

Handling on different surfaces definitely has more of an obvious transition now, tarmac/gravel stages require an adjustment in driving style when switching between the two, which is great to see.

However, I do feel it loses the charm and detail of the last game, I read the official description of the career mode thinking it would be far more in depth than that of 2 (which I loved), but actually it swings scarily towards Dirt, gone is the team building aspect, staff, money, getting signed up by WRC teams etc, and in comes popularity based on drifting, jumping between all sorts of classes and activities, and a very segmented feel. It's a big step backwards in my opinion and poorly judged based on what I assume is a fairly dedicated hardcore audience (and a minor point, but despite adding the wife as my co-driver, there is no option for a female voice this time around)

I will give it more time, but I'm actually tempted to go back to my WRC 2 career and carry on with that through to completion, and just use WRC 3 for stand-alone time trials etc.
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 23:18:05
    Have to say I agree re: the reviews. Everything I see written as criticism is something I'd actively seek out in a rally game; still think the gfx are fine, an improvement even.

As for the career, I never got into that in the previous games. I prefer the season mode and online so as long as the demo was representative of the handling, I'm in :)

Edited by BraveArse at 23:18:57 13-10-2012
  • Maturin 13 Oct 2012 23:45:11 3,236 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I despise a lot of modern games reviews. Criticising games for being in-depth, detailed or intelligent - or requiring some knowledge of anything other than COD killstreaks is frowned up. Holy shit a rallying game is about rallying - who the fuck would want that? Well we would.

No wonder games are so often aimed at thickies these days. This is the generation of every game with puzzles telling you how to do them, what buttons to press at what time etc. Pisses me right off.

Just like motor journalists testing cars on circuits are partly to blame for the rubbish ride comfort of many performance cars, so thick games writers with their narrow view are to blame for so many shit jack of all trades, master of none, games.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last