New WRC Game Page 5

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next
  • secombe 13 Oct 2012 23:56:56 1,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One thing that is unforgiveable, unless I'm missing something there is no bog standard stage mode for all the cars. So, if for example you want to blast around Monte Carlo in a Mini Cooper S...you can't.

As far as I can tell, only the official current(ish) cars from WRC, Group N etc (12 out of the 36 cars) can be used outside of Career Mode.

Edited by secombe at 23:58:56 13-10-2012
  • Monsieur_Blade 15 Oct 2012 16:49:11 348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I wasn't expecting super high review scores, as rallying really isn't that popular and the wrc series is quite serious, but I'm still surprised at how harsh some reviews have been.

5/10 from both ign and oxm! I haven't tried the full game but i was impressed with the demo. And the few reviews on amazon have been very positive and given it 4 or 5 stars. It seems to be getting marked down for, shock horror, being a serious rally game!

Still no eurogamer review though?!?
  • Deckard1 15 Oct 2012 16:51:25 28,680 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The demo was utter shit.
  • Monsieur_Blade 15 Oct 2012 16:59:56 348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    The demo was utter shit.
    Really? The handling took a bit of getting used to but i actually really enjoyed it after 3 or 4 attempts at the Spain stage.
  • Rodney 15 Oct 2012 20:39:32 1,907 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The classic gamer dichotomy, if it is not the best thing ever it is the shittest thing ever. Middle ground is for pussies
  • Zerobob 15 Oct 2012 20:59:01 1,607 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just saw some interesting reviews of driving games (by Tiff Needell) on Fifth Gear.

Out of GT5, Forza 4, Formula 1 2011, and a couple of online racers, he preferred Dirt 3. He should have tested WRC too!

He raised some other points about GT and Forza that I totally agree with - GT5 has fairly good handling and dipping of the front end during braking, but the cars sound nothing like the real thing. He thought Forza 4 had fairly unrealistic handing generally, with handling that got heavier during steering correction, not lighter.
  • Maturin 15 Oct 2012 21:35:16 3,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It looked like he had all the assists on GT5 and Forza. Waste of screen time..

And very out of date selection.
  • whatthefu 15 Oct 2012 21:37:40 875 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    and Dirt 2 > Dirt 3
  • Rodney 15 Oct 2012 23:16:06 1,907 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im surprised he said Dirt3. I wasnt too keen but then Iv never driven a high performance car. Would have been funny if he criticised it for central pivot which everyone seemed to bang on about a couple of years ago.

Id say WRC 3 is sim-lite. Somewhere in the sweet spot between Richard Burns Rally and those Rally Challenge games on the old xbox. I didnt enjoy it as much with the assists turned off which is unusual but I was using a 360 pad. Havnt used my wheel with it yet
  • monkehhh 16 Oct 2012 09:52:03 3,422 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Review up - 6/10 - very information light though.
  • Mr-Brett 16 Oct 2012 10:06:17 12,822 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm, that is an odd review. Essentially boiling down to 'it's another WRC game, but slightly better' and 'it's not as fancy as a Codies game'. Which somewhat assumes that everyone reading it knows what the previous WRC games are like, and I don't think "competent and faithful" really covers it. I'm also not sure how helpful it is to make comparisons to Codies games (and mainly the interface) since they don't even make rally games any more.

I'm not normally one to complain about reviews because I seldom read them. I generally make a decision based on trailers and other media but sometimes I'm not sure and fall back to a review, in this case I found it a bit lacking.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Monsieur_Blade 16 Oct 2012 10:20:28 348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought the review was terrible! It looked like it was written during 10 free minutes of his lunch hour. There was almost no information of the handling or the wrc full season mode (which is where i think most people will spend there time driving against or as loeb!).

It seems to be getting constant criticism for not being the same as the dirt series and yet that's a massive positive for me! I played the forza horizon demo last night and the Americanisation made me cringe!!
  • Maturin 16 Oct 2012 10:39:48 3,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As I said earlier, Eurogamer is terrible at racing game reviews. They have no idea what the important aspects folks want to know about are.
  • Monsieur_Blade 16 Oct 2012 13:50:16 348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The review actually strikes me as being very similar to eg's sleeping dogs review. They compared it to gta and seemed to mark it down cos it wasn't a gta game. While the eg community absolutely loved it for what it was!

They seem to be marking down wrc 3 for not being dirt 3, while the early signs are that the eg community love it Because its not dirt and takes a more serious approach.
  • Machetazo 16 Oct 2012 14:16:40 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Demo link for PC: http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=8477 (go there for links from 2 download locations - French mirror, and the official Australian link) consoles have it in their individual stores, but it took me a while to find for PC))
    A content preview. Not so much about the racing, but things like what sort of stages you race, what the repair system is like, the cars that are included, that kind of thing.

It looks like Youtube, etc, will be a good place for coverage. Though, I was surprised at EG's approach to reviewing WRC3.

Also, same presenter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h29X9fw_azI&feature=relmfu gameplay impressions.

Edited by Machetazo at 15:31:12 16-10-2012
  • MontyBrewster 16 Oct 2012 15:59:07 253 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^ That's Team VVV (Alan Boiston), worthwhile bookmarking his page if you play a lot of console racers. Has lots of early previews and as crazy as it may sound, actually uses a steering wheel to play racing games.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamVVV/videos
  • Machetazo 16 Oct 2012 16:38:25 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watching some of the clips, I think there's a good mix of info and opinion from Alan's commentary. The game looks fantastic! The kind of track layout they have, and the sharp corners at times. The different surfaces, and the scenery is great. I'm looking forward to trying the demo later :)

Edited by Machetazo at 16:39:16 16-10-2012
  • Deleted user 17 October 2012 20:07:44
    Blimey, the Mexico stages are really narrow aren't they? Really nice to see. Haven't seen proper narrow stages like that since RBR.
  • Monsieur_Blade 18 Oct 2012 12:40:59 348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Metro review just gone up:

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/915344-wrc-3-fia-world-rally-championship-review-sunday-drive

Pretty much identical to the other few reviews I've read. They also gave it a 5/10.

I'm really confused cos I've just read the comments under the Eurogamer Review and almost everyone who's bought the game seems to be absolutely loving it! Greatly improved graphics, nice handling, really fun...etc.

And yet all the reviews are saying 'poor presentation, poor handling and no fun.'

I'm pretty certain I'm gonna buy this now but I can't believe how harsh the reviews have been! I try to listen to gamers' opinions rather than reviews these days but all these negative review scores are making me hesitate whether to get this or wait for Forza Horizon? I REALLY fancy a proper Championship mode that I can get my teeth into though and Forza just doesn't cut the mustard in that department.

Edited by Monsieur_Blade at 12:44:39 18-10-2012
  • MontyBrewster 18 Oct 2012 13:28:57 253 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's too niche & unpolished to review well. Just imagine if Grand Prix Legends got released today, WTF is this **** the car just spins constantly aaahhhhh!!! Worst racing game ever!

Watch the Forza Horizon Giantbomb quicklook, that says everything about what many reviewers want in a modern racing game. He's terrible but the game still lets him win, the handling's pad friendly, nice graphics, music, lots of cars, painting etc. so he thoroughly enjoys it.

I remember back with F1 2005, saw 3 reviews which all said it's the same game with new teams, drivers etc 7/10. A month later there was a thread on Gamesradar calling it the best F1 game ever, some even putting it above Geoff Crammonds games. Gave it a whirl and from lap one it was amazing, night & day compared to the crap they put out the previous year. Almost missed out on one of the best games i've ever played.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Oct 2012 13:42:33 26,136 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest I love a good racing sim, but the demo for this left me pretty cold.

The handling feels incredibly lightweight and the cars themselves just seem to float around. On top of that the career mode thing just looks a bit toss. Where's the actual WRC championship in it? What's with the stupid polystyrene knockdown races? The career mode just looks like Dirt but with a crapper selection of cars.
  • Monsieur_Blade 18 Oct 2012 14:01:05 348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    To be honest I love a good racing sim, but the demo for this left me pretty cold.

The handling feels incredibly lightweight and the cars themselves just seem to float around. On top of that the career mode thing just looks a bit toss. Where's the actual WRC championship in it? What's with the stupid polystyrene knockdown races? The career mode just looks like Dirt but with a crapper selection of cars.
    The career mode is only one part of the game. There's also a championship mode that allows u to race a single stage, a single rally or a full wrc championship.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2012 14:41:34
    It comes down to two different ways of looking at rally games I guess. The McRae games were aimed at making you feel like Colin McRae. That is, a driving god. RBR wanted to show you what it would be really like with an extremely light, massively overpowered car on an extremely slippery surface especially if you have the reflexes and foot control of a dead yak, like I did to start with. =).

I see WRC as being a halfway house between the two just like the Evolution games were, but driving games, especially rally games, seem to appeal to really specific tastes and what seems absolutely as it should for some is inevitably just plain wrong for others, in a way that doesn't seem to happen so violently in other genres.

The real problem IMO, is that ,most reviewers don't want a challenge at all. Even the best of the CMR (4 natch ;) ) games would get panned now, I reckon.

Edited by BraveArse at 14:42:44 18-10-2012
  • Maturin 18 Oct 2012 18:44:25 3,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    God those Evolution games were good. Such a shame the studio stopped making them, and instead those daft PS3 games instead.
  • Machetazo 22 Oct 2012 15:56:20 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I decided to test my new Driving Force GT wheel with the demo, but found that to be a bit of a trial by fire, as the sparing approach I seem to have to take with the pedals feels really strange. Of the gameplay, I can only mention that the car moves pleasingly for now, as accustomisation is likely to take a good while!
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Nov 2012 19:05:23 5,500 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Down to 20 in a few places now. That'll do me.
  • Monsieur_Blade 13 Nov 2012 11:15:48 348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Down to 20 in a few places now. That'll do me.
    Ahhh nuts!!! I bought it for 32 from shopto last week. I've been waiting ages for it to drop in price but got fed up of waiting in the end.

I've been pretty impressed so far though. The light handling takes a little getting used to but you can really throw the cars around the corners once u do.

I've never played a racing game that keeps u so focused and on the edge of your seat though! After each stage i need a 5 minute break to relax again and prise the pad out of my hands!!
  • Monsieur_Blade 16 Nov 2012 19:35:45 348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm really starting to get into this now and absolutely loving it!!

I started on the 'Road To Glory' mode and, while it's pretty fun, I can't see it holding my attention that long. I started a proper WRC Championship season today though and I've been absolutely glued to the screen! I decided to go for the 3rd tier cars to give myself a bit of a chance. The official WRC cars are just too fast and powerful for me at the minute.

I've done the Monte Carlo rally so far which was really edge of the seat stuff across ice and snow and I'm half way through the Portugal rally now. I'm loving the different feel of each location and once you get used to the car and the handling you can really throw it around the stages!

When I first started I was finishing between 10-12th on each stage but I seem to be getting the hang of it now and have even managed to win a couple of stages :) I'm 3rd in the championship overall so far.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the game and say that the reviews (including EG's) are an absolute load of b*****ks!!! If you enjoy rallying and don't like the razzmataz of the Dirt games then you'll love WRC 3.

I'd give it an 8/10 so far.
  • Pinky_Floyd 16 Nov 2012 19:57:27 8,030 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Must check the pc price as I fancy this.
  • oldschoolsoviet 16 Nov 2012 20:15:19 5,500 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got it today, played a few hours.

It's good. Not spectacular, but solid. Long stages, handling slightly on the fun side, and a huge difference between the 2WD/Group N/WRC models. Bad points are the lack of surface/suspension interaction, the flat-surface feeling of bumpy gravel roads, the functional looks (but great damage) and the load times/bugged loading stalls (because it hadn't loaded a car model in the menu, it couldn't load the stage ?! :l).

I've gone the other way, playing the PTG mode, almost like advanced tutorials/career-lite. Gives a quick whirl through the different classes, different surfaces (gravel-slippery, snow-slidey), and is excellent at getting your eye in and getting accustomed to it. Love the token livery editor with it's fictional company decals, allowing my Pugeot 504 to dandy about in MFP (Mad Max) colours. I'm sure that's semi-intentional.

I'll give it some more time, but it's looking to be ideal rallying fodder at a cheap price. Oh, and thumbs-up for including the XMB photo function. An oft overlooked utility.

ED: 'Roop ! No ! You can't go on !'

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 21:09:51 16-11-2012
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Next