Putting my cat to sleep :'( Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • superdelphinus 6 Mar 2013 19:47:50 7,281 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of the two cats that I had at home since I was about 14 or so died last summer and my parents forgot to tell me until I went down at Christmas!
  • localnotail 6 Mar 2013 20:24:48 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ooh that's harsh.

BTBAM wrote:
    God I was hungover today. I was a total state last night.

The woman who owns the cat charity and therefore the cat stood down from the charity last night at 10pm which was amazing news as teeny weeny then effectively became ours as we claimed ownership and we were prepared to pay whatever unlike the charity. Also changed focus of her care as she was no longer under the jurisdiction and notion of 'can she be rehomed'. We authorised the removal of her eye and all necessary blood tests to make sure nothing serious. Vets were worried she wouldn't survive the operation...

But she's home with us now! And she is a different cat! Bounding around, purring away, chasing her tail. So glad we didn't have her put down and listen to the advice. She's still criminally underweight but she's ours now :)

I am the happiest I have ever been. Genuinely thought I'd never see her again.

Thanks again for your kind words last night, everyone. Did help, a lot!
    \o/! That's great news. Break open the tuna!

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Kronos 6 Mar 2013 20:48:47 547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A few years ago I made the mistake of going back to work immediately after having one of my first(and bestest) cats put down. Had a hard time keeping it together for the rest of the day and had to make lots of trips to the toilet to blub quietly. A very very bad day. Live and learn.

His final moments stay with me always and although I would much prefer to remember him in his prime whenever i think of him now that image always intrudes.
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 11:49:26 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dnbuk wrote:
    Just had to bury our 18 year old cat. I've had cats/pets since I was born and he was the last of them. It never gets easier.
    We've had two cats for years (bother and sister). Sister died unexpectedly a couple of years ago but brother still going strong. Silver tabby and he's 16, give or take a few weeks.
  • BTBAM 28 Apr 2013 02:55:32 1,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Teeny weeny had to go to the vets at midnight tonight, she was feeble on her back legs on Thursday so we went then, terrible vets had very little to offer, gave her an injection. This evening I got home and saw her not able to stand up. After agreeing with my girlfriend we took her to an emergency vets that were very good. Blood test showed she's fine but extremely dehydrated.

Tough decisions ahead as she's in there. Does she recover with her leg use once fully hydrated and we take her home assuming its fine? Does she come home and get dehydrated again? Was it something else causing it, a serious underlying congenital problem?

She's at the vets on a drip now, it's nearly 3am but I'm much more stoical this time.

I think if her leg strength doesn't come back after hydration we can't go through the endless test cycle. She's had fiv and other tests two months ago. Might try those again but if she isn't better we might have to make the decision.

Fallen even more in love with her over the last two months and I would be so sad to say goodbye, especially as the poor little thing has had such a horrible life and so little go well for her.

I'm hoping the high temperature she had on Thursday made her under the weather and she didn't drink from that or her water bowl was dirty or something. Straw clutching time but we're both quite accepting that we might need to pull the plug.

Is this inhumane? Would we be giving up too soon? She weighs a criminally low 1.6kg and is in heat already, but aside from that has been a happy (inactive) but beautiful little beast.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Apr 2013 08:45:37 13,831 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tough call mate
    As mentioned before, in the thread, I'm (my family)very much a dog/cat person, so over my 40 odd years I have lost a few wonderful pets.

You have to do what is best for them and not you, which is so very hard. My cat (Tabby) who was 14, had to be put to sleep in the end, she had a lot of problems, but I so wanted her to live. It broke my heart, I was with her at the vets though...so was my mum! (I was 35 and a father at the time !)

Maybe it is time to give her a rest, Tabby was very underweight and lost her back legs. I'm not trying to make comparisons here, but just giving you my experience.

I hope whatever you and your girlfriend decide, all goes well, sounds a bit crap that, but hopefully you know what I mean.
    x

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• BTBAM 28 Apr 2013 09:28:50 1,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for your reply. I think if this was an older cat I'd feel better about it, but she's only 7-8 months old.

Going to be a long day waiting to find out if she recovers at all. I think it's the 'but if we did one more test it might find out what's wrong with her' syndrome. Did you have that with your one too once she lost her use of legs or was it more old age?
  • BTBAM 28 Apr 2013 10:30:25 1,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We've made the decision that if she hasn't shown a marked improvement we're going to put her to sleep tonight.

She has exhibited too many things during her short life with us;
    Not weighing much
    Didn't groom that well
    Scared of any toy save string and never really playing
    Eye infection
    Wet herself in her bed once or twice and just sat in it
    Fussy eater
    Always had a fur coming out
    Very lethargic
    Odd tail movements

On Monday she came out of her room and ran out and hissed at our bully cat and all seemed good. She had moments of lucidity and clarity but lacked a lot of cat instincts.

I read back my post about when we got her back after the eye removal and I was genuinely so happy, and so was Teeny, she was bounding around briefly and seemed so happy to be back home with us. It all seemed to peak a few weeks ago and then not really get better.

It's going to be very tough going later to the vets but we want to be there and hold her in her last moments. Had she been a well pussycat she would have been the loveliest and sweetest animal. If our other cats had her symptoms we would keep paying for test after test as they're both healthy and energetic and normal cats with no problems. It's almost as if Teeny's start in life was too hard for her and she will never really recover.

I wouldn't mind if she had had a life but she didn't get a fair shout. I suppose cats bring these problems and I will just never forget her.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 8 May 2013 10:42:44 10,786 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, it's time for my cat to be put to sleep sadly.

The toughest part is he is only 11 years old, which is comparatively young compared to other cats we have had.

He was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure a few weeks ago and really went downhill in the last two weeks, pretty much giving up eating and now no longer drinking.

He barely has the energy to stand now and can only then make it a few paces before having to lie down again. Its the best thing for him.

He will be so sorely missed. I have never met a cat so demonstrative and human-like. Now to phone the vet to make an appointment...

Poor little bugger :(

Edited by Ignatius_Cheese at 10:55:14 08-05-2013
  • Salaman 8 May 2013 10:58:34 18,270 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sad stuff all these lovely kitties having to be put down. Glad my nearly 1 year old cat is a happy and healthy bunny. I shall cuddle her when I get in tonight.

Also surprised to see BTAM "I'm not really sure if we should try taking a cat" in here. :-)
    Sorry Teeny Weeny didn't get to stick around longer.
  • Vortex808 8 May 2013 10:58:47 6,573 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :(

So sorry to hear that. It's such a horrible decision to have to make, but it really is the best thing for them by the sounds of it.
  • psychokitten Moderator 8 May 2013 11:09:46 7,791 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Noooooooo, hon, I want to give you all the hugs :(
  • Commander Keen 8 May 2013 11:21:42 718 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jesus - this has to be one of the most depressing threads I've ever come across! I recently (well three years ago) bought my first cat (Pushkin) and the idea of having to put him down one day... it's unbearable!

A lot of sympathy for those of you who have gone through it already. Who was it that said that slowly, inevitably your cat becomes the physical manifestation of the soul of your home? Cousteau?

Either way, it's absolutely spot on.
  • BTBAM 31 May 2013 11:07:28 1,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Sad stuff all these lovely kitties having to be put down. Glad my nearly 1 year old cat is a happy and healthy bunny. I shall cuddle her when I get in tonight.

Also surprised to see BTAM "I'm not really sure if we should try taking a cat" in here. :-)
    Sorry Teeny Weeny didn't get to stick around longer.
    I will never let my hesitance escape me on this forum! Actually after my last post Teeny recovered again - the vet gave her an 11th hour kill or cure steroid injection just before we came to put her to sleep and it worked! She came home and was bounding around like mad, sprinting around the flat, clawing our massive fat cat, purring and eating well. Either my girlfriend or I slept with her in her room until she was better and then we had her in our bedroom recently where she would sleep inbetween us. However this morning we woke up and her remaining eye was cloudier than it had been and her legs were starting to give way again. She has been on steroids for the last month. We had booked her in to the vets for a check up today anyway and when we got there this morning it felt like she wouldn't come home again. She finally was put to sleep this morning as the return of the old symptoms and the fact it was clear she couldn't really see confirmed it as FIV.

She fought on but three of her four litter are dead now. Such a beautiful cat and she touched our lives so much but now it really was time. Was very sad being with her at the end but we will get her ashes and she will stay in my heart forever.

RIP
  • Zizoo 31 May 2013 11:10:10 7,729 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RIP Teeny :(

/hugs my cats
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 31 May 2013 11:20:28 10,786 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry to hear about Teeny BTBAM :(

Charlie didn't need putting down in the end. He slipped away on the evening of my post...

He is now sleeping in the garden in one of his favourite spots next to an apple tree with his favourite toy - a cuddly stick of dynamite. Bless him :)
  • warlockuk 31 May 2013 11:44:02 19,103 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• THFourteen 31 May 2013 11:56:29 31,842 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sad times. Don't think I can bear to read any more of this thread. Glad I don't have a pet.
  • BTBAM 31 May 2013 12:10:24 1,518 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Ignatius_Cheese

I'm sorry to hear about Charlie too. Cats are so perfect and loving and because they look to us for everything it makes it so hard to put them to sleep. We're talking now in the car about whether we did the right thing and whether we could have done anything differently - thats a real problem now. This time yesterday she was playing with string and cuddling with us, not leaving our sides all day. We're going away for the weekend, have to get away from home as everywhere makes us think of Teeny.
  • Bremenacht 31 May 2013 12:22:05 15,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Razz 31 May 2013 12:28:52 60,032 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Ignatius_Cheese

;_; /hugs

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Lukus 31 May 2013 12:32:40 18,955 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really hate this thread :( Sorry Ignatius and BTBAM, I know exactly how you must be feeling. Two of our family cats, sisters, both died last year aged 16. They were just the best thing about going home. Such warm, amusing, charming and friendly little things, they always made me smile. Miss them every time I think about them.

*manhugs*

Paintings & Photographs

• Razz 31 May 2013 12:36:36 60,032 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, so much feels, my little dog Jessie, is quite deaf and blind now. I can't even think about her kicking it without welling up ;_;

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next