• Page

of 4 First / Last

• JuanKerr 13 Jul 2010 12:48:15 36,203 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    :'(

Horrible news that is. Having a pet put down is one of the worst things ever, and I dread the day I have to go through it :(

But make sure you try to focus on the fact that you gave her a great little life and cherish all the fond memories you've got of owning her.

The cat was a gamer too?

/collapses in floods of tears

Ha ha h ...

/cries like a baby
  • phAge 13 Jul 2010 18:16:14 24,337 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whew. It's all over now, and it wasn't as hard as I feared it would be. The vet was great, gave us all the time we needed to say goodbye, and when Olivia finally went to sleep on an old hoodie of mine, it was pretty peaceful all in all.

Still blubbed like a baby, mind, but the knowledge that we did the right thing and that the last 16 years have been wonderful for her, means that the sadness is also tinted with happiness that she is not in pain any more. We've buried her at the back of the garden, and when the dirt settles we'll put a big white rose and some catnip bushes on top of the grave.

Be a while before we get a new moggy, though.
  • morriss 13 Jul 2010 18:18:02 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sad. Sorry, mate.
  • Bremenacht 13 Jul 2010 18:37:02 17,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Whew. It's all over now, and it wasn't as hard as I feared it would be. The vet was great, gave us all the time we needed to say goodbye, and when Olivia finally went to sleep on an old hoodie of mine, it was pretty peaceful all in all.

Still blubbed like a baby, mind, but the knowledge that we did the right thing and that the last 16 years have been wonderful for her, means that the sadness is also tinted with happiness that she is not in pain any more. We've buried her at the back of the garden, and when the dirt settles we'll put a big white rose and some catnip bushes on top of the grave.

Be a while before we get a new moggy, though.
    Awww, lovely old moggy. Get another one though.

Anyone who's had a long-loved moggie should have a glance at Goodbye Mog. I've not looked at any of the other Mog books, but I felt a bit boo-hoo after reading it in Waterstones. It would be a great book to help kids with losing pets.
  • ronuds 13 Jul 2010 18:49:01 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry, pHage. :(
  • Lukus 13 Jul 2010 19:21:12 18,999 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of the worst things ever, losing a pet. :(

Paintings & Photographs

• Khanivor 13 Jul 2010 19:31:00 40,401 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saddened to hear that phage, but also warmed by your positivity. I'll be going home to give my 17 year old kitty a big cuddle.
  • Ged42 13 Jul 2010 19:38:20 7,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :'(
  • MetalDog 13 Jul 2010 19:40:43 23,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Glad it went so peaceful, phAge. Just avoid sad movies like the motherfucking plague for a while.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 13 July 2010 19:47:31
    16 is a great age for a cat. She had a nice long life.
  • Willbow 14 Jul 2010 03:34:54 12 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My cat was 19 when it died last year, been with me since I was born.. It's strange, I had a friendship with him. But everything has to go at some point :(

Let's be grateful for the pets, family and friends we have!
  • FooAtari 14 Jul 2010 06:50:00 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sorry Phage. My folks have a cat that must be 15 now. She was born at home when i was 13 or 14 and is every bit a part of the family as everyone else. She is gettin pretty frail and I don't think will be long before it's time, and that's going to be bloody awful

Got three cats myself, aged 1, 2 and 3. Hopefully all will live a long time. :)
  • SG 14 Jul 2010 07:02:46 1,885 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    phAge, I'm really sorry bud. I know that ferrets don't mean a lot to a lot of people but they are as intelligent as cats and dogs; I've had 8 so far and 5 have gone now.

Ferrets are very similar to cats; they are playful and daft and loveable - sort of like kittens on speed. Anyway, because they're bred from polecats they shouldn't naturally exist and as a result they ALL have very poor genes. They all end up dying of cancer in the end. In the last 2 years I lost 4 of them and 1 the year before that. Due to their being prone to cancer I remember 'Nana' most recently being skinny and weak, but oh so curious (as ferrets are) as I held her. I cried - alot - and the ex and I let things take their course as thankfully things are so quick when they finally did go (with others we've had to see the vet), but her's is the one that sticks most in my mind as she held on for weeks initially in what SEEMED to be good health - up and down - as she went from what looked like a small polar bear all puffy and chubby to something really skeletal and back again. I'm glad she passed when she did because I wouldn't have wanted her to get any thinner, but my point is - my heart goes out to you.
  • dnbuk 1 Mar 2013 17:53:12 4,942 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just had to bury our 18 year old cat. I've had cats/pets since I was born and he was the last of them. It never gets easier.
  • quadfather 1 Mar 2013 17:56:07 11,864 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dnbuk - sorry to hear that. Hope it goes ok

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Bremenacht 2 Mar 2013 01:04:40 17,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dnbuk wrote:
    Just had to bury our 18 year old cat. I've had cats/pets since I was born and he was the last of them. It never gets easier.
    Great age for a cat. Must have been well looked after.
  • BTBAM 3 Mar 2013 19:18:36 1,555 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We're fostering cats now, only one at a time (anyone remembering me from the cat thread will be thinking 'really') and we have a little one who was the runt of the litter, rejected by her family and her brother and sister died soon after from illness and then she went blind in one eye so has this nasty terminator red eye. She's so tiny and has conjunctivitis now and I absolutely love her to pieces, even more than our two other ones because she's so helpless but so affectionate and gentle too. Terrified at her having to have the eye out as it's a constant problem because I was worrying about her on the operating table and then I stumble on this thread and feel like I want to burst into tears.

Cats just take such a special place in your heart :( sorry to all who've lost
  • BTBAM 5 Mar 2013 19:35:59 1,555 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At the vets with my one eye blind cat. Vet thinks she might be holding viruses that can spread to our cat, the eye needs to come out very soon and that she is running a temperature, and that's she's half the size she should be. She's weeing places and vet is intimidating she might have to be put down. It's up to the fosterer. Waiting for her to call to find out if we press ahead with operations.

Shit.
  • localnotail 5 Mar 2013 19:43:44 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :( Sad to hear that. Horrible having to balance what you want for them and what is best for them. The pain of losing them is the price we pay for loving them.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Vortex808 5 Mar 2013 19:53:45 6,972 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Getting our adopted and badly disabled cat(by toxoplasmosis he caught when he was dumped) put down after two years was of having him was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. He was blind and getting incontinent too.

It was worse than burying our previous one year old cat that got run over. However, ater it was done we realised we should probably have done it sooner.

Sometimes, it is for the best I'm afraid BTBAM.

Even if it doesn't feel like it at the time. :(

Edited by Vortex808 at 19:54:46 05-03-2013
  • BTBAM 5 Mar 2013 19:54:20 1,555 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm a mess. Having a double whiskey in the pub next door while we wait for the call. Thanks for the reply, when I read this thread the other day I went to my cats and hugged them and had a little cry for all the people who've lost their friends. Now I can barely enjoy my whiskey, think the fosterer will say to have the operation but when we first got this cat I said to her 'you just want to die don't you' as she looked so feeble.

Sad thing is she is happy with us, but pissing and shitting everywhere isn't ideal and our two main cats can't get sick from her. I had half term off work last week and I had this little one with me all week on my lap while I played games and recovered from a cold. Sad because I bonded with her. Absolutely adore her. Wish I'd taken at least one photo with her as I always do with all our foster cats but this one I just couldn't... This is probably why.

Sorry, just ranting, girlfriend is much stronger than I am about this and don't want to overwhelm her after sobbing hysterically in her arms!
  • TFM_Excalibur 5 Mar 2013 20:23:02 1,014 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My 20 year moggy passed away not too long ago, was in bits over it, never been so sad about losing a pet as much as her as I spent most of my life with her in the house at my parents.

Although moved into my new house, went and seen a few cats and finally ended up with a streaky silver/black moggy named Ellie :)

She's a little shitbag at the best of times, but I love her to bits and I had forgotten not having such a little thing in the house makes such a difference.

Trying to coax the wife into getting her a playmate but with one and a small, very hyper child the idea hasn't gone down too well!!!
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Mar 2013 20:48:23 14,423 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sorry to hear chaps. It is heartbreaking, at the very least, I'm sure they have had wonderful loving lives with your families.
    I have lost dogs and my 17 year old cat over recently years and it never gets easier.
    I continue to get pets (we have 4 dogs at the moment) as the love they give during their too short lifespan is unprecedented.
    All the best and think of the good times

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• superdelphinus 5 Mar 2013 20:55:53 8,035 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    just a minor point, but is it sensible putting catnip on a cat's grave?!
  • superdelphinus 5 Mar 2013 20:57:29 8,035 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    worst thing cat related I had to do was dig up a neighbouring hotel's car park to see if the cat that the groundsman said had been hit by a car and buried there was our cat that had been missing for a couple of days. it was :(
  • localnotail 5 Mar 2013 21:35:34 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :( :(
    /virtual hug for BTBAM :cry:

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Lukus 5 Mar 2013 21:40:05 18,999 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hate this thread :( Sorry fellow cat fans :(

Paintings & Photographs

• BTBAM 5 Mar 2013 21:56:31 1,555 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At home now and finished a bottle of amaretto. Gin next.

Thanks again for your kind comments. Going to watch a Smashing Pumpkins gig on YouTube and stop ranting at my two other cats.

Can't stop thinking about 'teeny weeny wuss' (I thought I could call her mine and that forever) but will raise a glass to her and fucking hope upon hope that somehow this has a happy ending. Can't see it. Once again, thanks for your kind words.Gonna drink till I pass out.

Love you little girl xx
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Mar 2013 22:01:09 14,423 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BTBAM
    I raise a glass to teeny weeny wuss. Take it easy mate.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• BTBAM 6 Mar 2013 19:42:15 1,555 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    God I was hungover today. I was a total state last night.

The woman who owns the cat charity and therefore the cat stood down from the charity last night at 10pm which was amazing news as teeny weeny then effectively became ours as we claimed ownership and we were prepared to pay whatever unlike the charity. Also changed focus of her care as she was no longer under the jurisdiction and notion of 'can she be rehomed'. We authorised the removal of her eye and all necessary blood tests to make sure nothing serious. Vets were worried she wouldn't survive the operation...

But she's home with us now! And she is a different cat! Bounding around, purring away, chasing her tail. So glad we didn't have her put down and listen to the advice. She's still criminally underweight but she's ours now :)

I am the happiest I have ever been. Genuinely thought I'd never see her again.

Thanks again for your kind words last night, everyone. Did help, a lot!
  • Page

of 4 First / Last