Being a "nerd" because you play games

• Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous
  • +Liquid 5 Jul 2010 19:30:01 82 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is a subject which has apparently died out, gaming is mainstream now whereas before it was niche and so people's perspective has changed. It's a hobby, fair enough.

Today in English one of the society-labled nerds stood up and did a presentation about Valve. He's a classic nerd; he seems unclean, has glasses, is slightly overweight and is about as great at pulling girls as my dog (maybe even less so).

I'm not like this at all, I'm sporty, have a girlfriend, present myself in a society-approved way and don't talk about games at all to anyone at school just because I don't care a huge deal about them and know that nobody else does either and yet I too am a gamer, play regularly and come on gaming community sites such as this.

So this "nerd" stood up and bored the shits out of everyone talking about how great Portal and Half Life and Team Fortress games are and it got me to thinking, "how many gamers in this day and age are actually like this guy?"

I firmly believe I'm not like him in any way even though I knew everything he was talking about and play games regularly. One of my good friends is the captain of the school's football team and is one of the most popular people I know yet we have had many conversations concerning things like Zelda, Fallout and Borderlands. Nobody thinks he's a nerd either.

So, what do you think? Has gaming reached the point where anyone can be intellectual about it and still be in amongst the "cool" part of society? How do you feel people's views of gaming have changed? Do you consider yourself to be one of the "nerdy" types or do you, like me, feel you get away alright with being a gamer?

Go.

• Deleted user 5 July 2010 19:31:55
    He's probably reading this.
  • matt6666 5 Jul 2010 19:34:41 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nerds are cool as shit in my eyes..
  • Trowel 5 Jul 2010 19:34:54 17,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is this like one of those articles in GamesTM where the author tries to convince us playing computy games is mature and arty to justify their lack of social progress? I learned they were for kids years ago. When I was a kid.

I like games.
  • mal 5 Jul 2010 19:35:01 22,328 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He's probably got a post count of 33989

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 5 July 2010 19:36:26
    I should've seen that coming. :(
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Jul 2010 19:38:04 25,390 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    +Liquid is soooooo dreamy.
  • Syrette 5 Jul 2010 19:38:33 43,055 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tl;dr

• Pinky_Floyd 5 Jul 2010 19:38:38 7,340 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love games and will happily talk about them to anyone who will listen. I'm passionate about them.

I'd much rather chat to the fat nerdy guy who loves games than the too cool for school sporty kid who thinks he has a clue but hasn't.
  • +Liquid 5 Jul 2010 19:39:06 82 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Being a douche is cool, Trowel.

• Hantheman 5 Jul 2010 19:39:45 540 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Who gives a rats arse what other people think of you? Society has so many God damn problems I refuse to care if it disagrees with me playing compuer games. I do what makes me happy and what I can to help othe rpeople. If people like me for it, great. If not, they can go talk to someone else.
  • midnight_walker 5 Jul 2010 19:40:16 1,848 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    +Liquid wrote:
    I'm not like this at all, I'm sporty, have a girlfriend, present myself in a society-approved way and don't talk about games at all to anyone at school just because I don't care a huge deal about them

/stealth I am a fat, unwashed, bespectacled loser post
  • +Liquid 5 Jul 2010 19:40:35 82 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's a really dead argument, why would you want people to not like you?
  • JoeGBallad 5 Jul 2010 19:41:06 383 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think playing games ever made anyone nerdy. It's just the way some folk are I think. At school I was the same as you; although I was shit at sport, I still played for a laugh with my pals. Man, back then we were all playing Goldeneye and Pro Evo every couple of nights. We even went to a fucking arcade every weekend or so, plough a couple of pound coins into house of the dead and try and get past Magician. None of us were seen as nerds or whatever, it's just what we did. Playing games with your pals was just normal! So yeah, I get what you're on about.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• lucky_jim 5 Jul 2010 19:42:32 5,252 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What Pinky_Floyd said. Not having to talk to hipster wankers is one of the perks of being a gamer.
  • Deleted user 5 July 2010 19:42:41
    Stopped reading after "I'm sporty, have a girlfriend, present myself in a society-approved way", as this is obviously some sort of self-justification nonsense which a good 10% of the internet must be made up of.
  • Deleted user 5 July 2010 19:43:38
    I once heard that the meek would inherit the world. Then I discovered the gravity gun and thought, why not do it in style?
  • JoeGBallad 5 Jul 2010 19:43:45 383 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think some of you folk are maybe being a bit harsh on the guy...

• lucky_jim 5 Jul 2010 19:45:08 5,252 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tbh I think I might have puked in my mouth a bit at "present myself in a society-approved way". Why would anybody, especially a young person (making a presumption about the OP there) see this as a good thing? I guess that's another discussion though.
  • Spectral 5 Jul 2010 19:48:01 4,969 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There is no "cool" part of society, thats a school thing. People who think they're "cool" are usually what society call "wankers".
  • Deleted user 5 July 2010 19:48:38
    How old are you, Liquid? The bit about presenting yourself in a "society-approved" manner makes you sound very insecure. I'm not even sure what it means. Does it mean you buy all your clothes from Topman?
  • Hantheman 5 Jul 2010 19:48:51 540 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."- Nietzsche
  • owl 5 Jul 2010 19:49:49 143 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    urge to watch the breakfast club growing by the minute
  • Deleted user 5 July 2010 19:50:08
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead" - God
  • JoeGBallad 5 Jul 2010 19:50:13 383 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think you're fighting a losing battle with these guys +Liquid...

Also, this Gaiden Guide springs to mind reading everybody's replies. Yous should watch it for a laugh.

• Whizzo 5 Jul 2010 19:51:19 43,031 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some people really don't know the demographics of this place.

This space left intentionally blank.

• chasejamie 5 Jul 2010 19:51:51 812 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shut up poindexter.
  • convercide 5 Jul 2010 19:53:08 5,903 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    chasejamie wrote:
    Shut up poindexter.

Toejam and Earl is out on XBL soon isn't it? :)

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Deleted user 5 July 2010 19:54:52
    Whizzo wrote:
    Some people really don't know the demographics of this place.

There are demographics??

FFS, last time I rely on you lot for passing on memos...
  • StringBeanJean 5 Jul 2010 19:55:08 1,777 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God I'm glad I'm not a teenager anymore. You'll never live in a more hierarchical society than your average secondary school.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous