Your favourite gaming era. Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Vortex808 4 Jul 2010 19:28:16 7,060 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    The '80s with the 8bits and early 16bit games. There was a lot of experimentalism back then which seems to have been mostly lost now.

Don't get me wrong, apart from a few classics the games are better now but it's far rarer to find oddities these days.

This. Was just bemoaning this the other day. No very weird or different games these days. Just a steady stream of similar gametypes across a few genres. Too much big money for a few publishers these days. I pine for the bedroom programmer days.

Todays games are good, but i would like a bit more personality even of it meant a bit less polish.
  • Dr.Haggard 4 Jul 2010 19:28:18 4,168 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mid to late 90's. PC.

/misty eyed
  • Pure-Ultra 4 Jul 2010 19:28:40 741 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    N64 - the first proper 3d generation plus Nintendo and Rare on top form. It was also the first generation/era to include 4 player split screen gaming as standard.

I would say this generation is going to surpass it.
  • griff_dai 4 Jul 2010 19:36:12 419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    80's for me....... Remember going to that Computer Games Show in Earl's Court on a bus with other Computer geeks from Wrexham, seeing all the tidy new games, the ZX Microdrive, using Quill, making our own 'Beano' adventure game with my mate....... Happy days...

I actually missed the Amiga and ST era (female's and drinking was my main attention) then got a SEGA Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast (best console ever in terms of being light years ahead of its time) also did the SNES, N64 and Gamecube. I flirted with the PS1 (never could forgive it for killing the Saturn with it's exclusives and sold it) missed the PS2 and got a PS3 (which I just sold cause the 360 beats it to a bloody pulp).

However, the time I best remember is filling C90's with speccy games and also going to Computer Club (carrying TV, Seccy and tape deck) to play games side by side with other geek's :-)

Oh, also, the St David's School's BBC Micro B network was also ace as was when then got a Archamedies (can't spell that) and also getting the Doomsday laser disk's was also ace!!!!!!!!(the School had it)

So, 1985 - 1990 were the best year's for me yet..... (I'm guessing the advent of 3D Gaming will change that as that is something this 36 year old has been waiting for since I was 11)

Dai
  • Sponz 4 Jul 2010 19:43:25 648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been intrigued by the Dreamcast for a long time. I never had one when they first came out.

So i've just won 2 of them on ebay!

Games included:
    Metropolis Street Racer
    TrickStyle
    Sonic Adventure
    Tony Hawk's SkateBoarding
    Rayman 2 the great Escape
    Virtua Striker 2 ver.2000.1
    PenPen
    Resident Evil Code: Veronica
    Crazy Taxi

Cant wait for my parcels!

Any recommendations for games?
  • Deleted user 4 July 2010 19:46:34
    POWERSTONE 1 & 2
    Jet Set Radio
    Bangai-o
    Marvel vs Capcom
    Cannon Spike
    Virtua Tennis

Should get ya started.
  • griff_dai 4 Jul 2010 19:49:36 419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Skies of Arcadia! (Good luck finding it though)
  • brseg 4 Jul 2010 19:58:38 679 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ZX Spectrum (1980s). The creativity was amazing. Kids writing games in their bedroom etc (and many going on to work on modern stuff).In some ways, with browser-based flash games etc, we've come full circle.
  • bad09 4 Jul 2010 20:09:28 5,783 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sponz wrote:
    I've been intrigued by the Dreamcast for a long time. I never had one when they first came out.

So i've just won 2 of them on ebay!

Games included:
    Metropolis Street Racer
    TrickStyle
    Sonic Adventure
    Tony Hawk's SkateBoarding
    Rayman 2 the great Escape
    Virtua Striker 2 ver.2000.1
    PenPen
    Resident Evil Code: Veronica
    Crazy Taxi

Cant wait for my parcels!

Any recommendations for games?

Get in!

You got some greats coming but don't forget Shenmue 1/2, F355, Headhunter, Sega Rally and personally I'd recommend Blue Stinger. Also if you like the Resi games DC versions of 2 and 3 were sweet.
  • Dirtbox 4 Jul 2010 20:10:48 77,680 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Snes.

2D >>>>>>>> 3D

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• YenooR 4 Jul 2010 20:28:19 529 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been playing games since the atari 2600 but I think the psone era was the best .
  • FuzzyDuck 4 Jul 2010 20:29:23 4,016 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think my PS2 got the most use (13 Master League seasons in 6 months on PES 5 - the joys of unemployment!), but the 16-bit era is what cemented my love affair.

Owned a Megadrive at the time (and loved it) but i was mesmerised by my cousin's SNES. Some guy joked with me in '98 that he'd happily give me his SNES in exchange for my Playstation. Two hours later i finally had a SNES!
  • Deleted user 4 July 2010 20:47:45
    Right guys gonna chuck this in here as a good place to start. Seeing as your all donning your rose tinted specs, i've been doing some browsing and happened upon this site. http://www.gamesstationretro.com/index.php

I'm in the market for a particular rare retro console and this site seems to have a few.
    The EG collective has a canny eye for these sorts of things, should I dip my toe and trust them, or stay well clear?

Thank you.
    Rusty.
  • Obiwanshinobi 4 Jul 2010 20:53:29 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When I was discovering wonders of emulation on the PC. Metal Slug on my comp, whoa. Funnily enough I've owned neither Neo Geo nor SNES - two systems I have the biggest crush on.
    So yeah, 16-bit era, sprites - keep making things in my pants happen. Even the PlayStation delivers in this regard like no stationary console ever since. I hold my CRT displays dear and cannot express how grateful I am for the likes of Cave Story.
    I'm kind of disappointed with the mainstream polygonal graphics these days. Vector graphics could be so much more than that...
  • dutchspeededup 4 Jul 2010 20:55:34 4,388 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    C64. I had so much fun playing that machine with my friends.

To this day, Winter Games is the game I have had the most fun playing.
  • dominalien 4 Jul 2010 20:56:47 6,848 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My Atari ST days. Because I was then old enough to start understanding the games which appealed to me (RPG/adventure) enough to complete them.

PSN: DonOsito

• trip919 4 Jul 2010 20:58:18 2,264 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Snes.

2D >>>>>>>> 3D
  • dutchspeededup 4 Jul 2010 21:06:19 4,388 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Agreed. I vastly prefer 2D Mario to 3D.

I know, I know!
  • skuzzbag 4 Jul 2010 21:13:20 5,638 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has to be the start for me. Early 80's and the Elite years. Wasn't really stunned again until I got one of the first 3D cards (Voodoo 1) and put Quake 2 through it.

I really enjoyed the PS2 time though, especially ICO and that, oh and GTA3.
  • Retroid Moderator 4 Jul 2010 21:24:51 44,505 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Snes.

2D >>>>>>>> 3D
    This was definitely true until PS2 / Xbox / GC.

IMO the 3D tech wasn't yet ready for 'prime time'.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2010 21:27:11
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    POWERSTONE 1 & 2
    Jet Set Radio
    Bangai-o
    Marvel vs Capcom
    Cannon Spike
    Virtua Tennis

Should get ya started.
    hey, don't forget the DC had a much prettier version of GTA2. ;)
  • dominalien 4 Jul 2010 21:35:07 6,848 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I remember being a proud Voodoo owner and looking down at PS1 people and laughing at their pathetic graphics. The first games in 3D were "cutting edge" for sure, but weren't really better games for it.

PSN: DonOsito

• mrharvest 4 Jul 2010 21:43:43 5,194 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Retroid wrote:
    The '80s with the 8bits and early 16bit games. There was a lot of experimentalism back then which seems to have been mostly lost now.

Don't get me wrong, apart from a few classics the games are better now but it's far rarer to find oddities these days.
    This. Was just bemoaning this the other day. No very weird or different games these days. Just a steady stream of similar gametypes across a few genres. Too much big money for a few publishers these days. I pine for the bedroom programmer days.

Todays games are good, but i would like a bit more personality even of it meant a bit less polish.
    There are "weird" games still but they aren't mainstream releases any longer. It's just that people don't mostly buy them now because they expect a very high standard. It just doesn't slot in with the bedroom coder mode of game development.
  • famous_roy 4 Jul 2010 21:48:25 4,102 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If i'm thinking about it seriously then probably the current era.

If I'm going by my actual happiest time gaming, well that would be SNES era.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Retroid Moderator 4 Jul 2010 21:48:58 44,505 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's why I like Steam / XBL Indies / general freebie web oddness.

Bytejacker, one way to find out about them
  • Khanivor 4 Jul 2010 21:54:01 40,520 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Commodore era.
  • lavalant 4 Jul 2010 21:56:57 1,276 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    N64/PS1 era, there was so much going on, and so much new stuff, everything felt fresh and new, graphics were a massive leap from the 16bit era, demo discs, and cheesy voice acting. Resi2, Driver, Metal Gear, Goldeneye, Mario 64, Zelda.
  • skuzzbag 4 Jul 2010 22:02:52 5,638 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Yeah, I remember being a proud Voodoo owner and looking down at PS1 people and laughing at their pathetic graphics. The first games in 3D were "cutting edge" for sure, but weren't really better games for it.

No they weren't but my games went from 5 fps to 60 fps. I also spent about 10 mins just looking at the pool you come to that had blue light on it going "wow!".

I looked in the mirror and I had changed, from a gamer to a graphics whore. It took until the PS2 to drag me back into gaming as opposed to FPS.

• Obiwanshinobi 4 Jul 2010 22:18:54 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The PSX had enough hard rockin' 3D games, jolly playable even now, to prove that the hardware WAS ready, even though most developers wouldn't quite have a clue how to make a 3D game enjoyable. Some of them even put analogue sticks to good use (Omega Boost comes to mind).
    Although it's verging on a gaming equivalent of gerontophilia, I sort of enjoy the "software" looks of those early 3D games. Prog-scanned, raw-textured, lo-res PSX games look sharper than most PS2 games with their interlacing, deflickering and texture blurring (funny how the PS3 post-processing has similar effect in this day and age). Playing a PSX 3D game (without the PS2 smoothing) on a CRT is like looking into another world (not always as ugly as you'd expect). I even consider playing a bit of Unreal without hardware 3D acceleration for the heck of it! Sure, once I got used to the hardware acceleration, coming back to the old ways took some time, but it's a fair piece of retro-fun (and - again - some of those games are well designed and built).
  • Page

of 6 First / Last