Your favourite gaming era. Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• FooAtari 8 Sep 2010 08:05:18 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My favourite era was probably 93 - 2000. My favorite platform is PC and during the 90's there was some truly awesome PC games.
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Sep 2010 08:31:23 35,507 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    My favourite era was probably 93 - 2000. My favorite platform is PC and during the 90's there was some truly awesome PC games.

Yeah. Late 90s in particular were awesome.
  • AbsolutelyNOTbosker 8 Sep 2010 08:37:41 55 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For me the best era was from 85 to 95, I was already primed on the VCS and C64, enjoying whatever my mates had as well, but it was the Christmas where I got my Nes and suddenly I could jump and shoot independently of the d pad. Well, for the most part anyway.

I felt plunged into a world of entertainment, I already loved computer gaming but somehow, something changed. There is talk of Super Metroid, but Metroid? I have never felt so cold and lonely in a game as I did there. A single persons quest, the rousing, sometimes haunting music. Mario, did I know I held one of the most playable games in my hand? No, I just played with a fevered compulsion. Zelda, again... what was this? What were these games?

I had never before played anything like them.

Of course, around that time we had the arcades too and for me, the epitome of gaming was to somehow manage to get the arcade experience at home; something which back then seemed an impossible dream. The arcades had no slow down, no flicker. Multi layered parallax scrolling; a custom colour palette and sound hardware and were in resolutions that only one console to date managed to display. The PC Engine.

This was the new world, this is where we saw the leaps and how a new piece of hardware could sway favour.

The PC Engine introduced me to something new, exotic imports from Japan... oh Japan, that crazy little country full of crazy little things, how I hearted you back then and how I still heart you now! I guess it's childhood that allowed me to play so many games blind. By that I mean wade through reams of text I had no hope of translating in order just to play a game..... I knew how important is was to befriend the Chinese kid at school to taste the delights of the PC Engine CD Rom.

Something new was on the horizon, though, something that blew me to pieces; the Megadrive. Golden Axe? Forgotten Worlds? AT HOME??!! And... so good! Not to mention Super Shinobi and later on, Sonic and Bare Knuckle (Street of Rage). While happily feasting on the vibrant colours and greater sound the daddy, the don of gaming was looming.

Everyone has there favourites, but when I saw, on a 32" screen; scart NTSC, a Bullet Bill the size of my arse (I was a fat kid) then I knew, I knew who I loved. I was, without a doubt a Nintendo fanboy... oh don't get me wrong, I didn't (and still don't) hate on other systems, I was a gamer through and through, but after my Nes and after being dazzled by interchangeable games on a handheld, there was something that Nintendo gave me... something that only suckling on their teet could satisfy.

I was into my gaming maturity. I knew where to go and what to get, I was basically spoiled being honest. I must've had some power to my pester as I had rather a lot back then.

The Neo Geo was out of reach, but lovely and we were in full swing. In a time where Mean Machines was the read of the day, other magazines couldn't be overlooked and it was a golden time for them too. A time where, once again, we could ignore the complicated and mysterious glyphs of the East and pour over fat tomes from Japan in order to lap up the scraps of screen shots not yet viewed. Where I had a bill of £30 a month from my local newsagent!

When the Playstation landed I knew it was over... not because of anything game related but because I was older. I was working, had less free space to play. Had to go out more and do sexy time. Responsibilities appeared as well.

I hit a gaming vacuum during the late 90s and the early 2000s. Somehow still managed to own the consoles of the time, old habits die hard I suppose but now have hit a time where I want to game more. I agree that less is more and find that games doing it more me are more 7/10, less hyped, discovered a few months later... somehow, slick isn't really doing it for me.

I'm getting older and I want to grow up to be a geriatric gamer!

P.s. I am ever so sorry, I seemed to have vomited a load of text in your thread *apologies*
  • DiamondIce 8 Sep 2010 08:42:06 1,185 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been playing since the age of 6 (started on Atari 2600 games) and all generations have been great in their own way but SNES era wins without any doubt.

The most playable games I have ever experienced and ever likely to experience.

Perhaps it was because I was young and not a miserable tainted old git.

FLOPS! RAM!

• nickthegun 8 Sep 2010 09:15:30 59,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Amiga era 88ish to 96ish, probably. Almost as golden as the speccy era but the games loaded first time.

I had consoles in tandem in the latter years but a quick sensi league or passing a mouse around for worms was still brilliant almost 10 years after I got it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 8 Sep 2010 09:28:49 59,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually miss the whole era that was measured in K or Bits. We dont do that anymore. For shaaaaaaame.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• rock27gr 8 Sep 2010 10:07:53 5,565 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DiamondIce wrote:
    I've been playing since the age of 6 (started on Atari 2600 games) and all generations have been great in their own way but SNES era wins without any doubt.

The most playable games I have ever experienced and ever likely to experience.

Perhaps it was because I was young and not a miserable tainted old git.

This! Gaming was still newish and full of exciting new adventures and experiences. And we were younger and more impressionable, not old and jaded.

I would stretch it until the late 90s though, and include the N64 era what with mario64 and Ocarina of Time offering completely new experiences.
  • HarryPalmer 8 Sep 2010 10:09:40 3,252 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Amiga 500+

Workbench.

Games that game in giant boxes.
  • Unofficial 10 Sep 2010 19:53:23 10 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Probably the 8-bit era for me. Spectrum 48k and C64. Has to be said this is closely followed by the Amiga though.

As some others have mentioned, one of the enjoyable aspects of the 8-bit era was just the huge diversity of games available. Every niche imaginable - games didnt have to appeal to a mass market. You could load up game after game and genuinly not know what you were going to be getting.

On the subject of not choosing more modern games instead - all games and systems are of their time. I'm choosing the 8-bit era because at the time it was incredible. It fuelled my imagination and influenced me in many ways (including my career now).

Games have come a long way since then, and are light years ahead now, but that doesnt mean that I have a more enjoyable experience now. Expectations were much lower back then ;o)

• Welsh_Red_Devil 10 Sep 2010 20:23:48 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Psone Era was the best and most memorable for me. mainly because games such as Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Medieval and the Oddworld series. and i'm really looking forward to the Oddworld: stranger's wrath re-release on PSN. :)
  • Deleted user 10 September 2010 20:48:08
    Snes. Romeo done.
  • lovely2cu 10 Sep 2010 20:58:17 1,194 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • redcrayon 11 Sep 2010 14:18:09 4,552 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SNES/Megadrive, 1991-1993 ish.

The improvement in graphics from 8-bit to 16-bit felt immense at the time, every new SNES release just looked amazing.

So many games that I'm still playing now, really can't see myself playing many modern releases in 20 years time. Might just be that the smaller game sizes just make them easier to dip into for a couple of hours.
  • beastmaster 11 Sep 2010 16:27:30 11,326 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mine was the C64/Spectrum years.

Not just because of the battle between these 2 great machines but there was so much else out there. Atari 800 XL, BBC B, Oric, QL, Dragon 32, Texas T1994A...

Plus games like Elite, Mercenary, Revs, Pole Pole Position, Trailblazer, Delta were at the time, quite simply stunning. There was also no internet but the magazines like Crash, Zzap and C&VG was all you had to rely on. You never really knew what you were going to get. Yes, I bought Knight Rider (Ocean you cunts! I though it was going to be the best game ever.)

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• woodnotes 11 Sep 2010 16:30:28 4,923 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The C64 era.
  • docrob 11 Sep 2010 20:01:05 289 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tough one.

Halcyon childhood with my Speccy when all was fresh and new?

Upgrading to an ST and being blown away by how much better the games looked and sounded?

When my folks got a Mega Drive for my brother and sister when I was at Uni and not gaming much, and I ended up hopelessly addicted to Desert Strike (and Championship Manager 2 on my sister's PC)?

When I graduated, started getting paid, and bought a PSOne and Resident Evil with my first paycheck?

Or now, when I can afford to have a PC and all the major consoles (but lack the time to play)?

I'm tempted to go for the Speccy era for nostalgic reasons. But I probably enjoyed my gaming most in the PSOne era - though it's likely that that has as much to do with the fact that I was a young, free, single professional with a disposable income and plenty of spare time as to do with the actual quality of the games. Still, late nights with FFVII and Tomb Raider 2... good times.
  • Sharks 11 Sep 2010 20:11:54 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Last gen. Gamecube, GBA, loved it.
  • toy_brain 11 Sep 2010 20:11:58 1,256 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PS2 era. 2002-2006 or thereabouts.
    Couple years into the hardware, so that dev's knew what they were doing with it, and with 3D games in general now past the experimental stage.

Good times those. I was young enough to have plenty free time, but also had just started working, so I could afford all the hardware and games I wanted.
  • Deleted user 12 September 2010 15:48:59
    The quality of the SNES era cemented me as a lifetime gamer.

But no era was more exciting than the PS1/N64.

The anticipation of that generation's arrival was monumental.

The leap from Mario World to Mario 64 was bigger than anything. Pilotwings on SNES to Pilotwings 64, the difference in graphics is still unbelieavable.

Resident Evil, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Gran Turismo even stuff like Ridge Racer, Tekken and Tomb Raiderwere so far ahead of what we'd seen before. The water effects in Wave Race 64. The list goes on..

And the Saturn played it's part too with Nights, Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally.

So many of the best games of today are refinements of the groundwork which was set in that gen.

I'm also loving this gen, lot been done right and the 3DS almost gives me the same buzz that the build up to the release of the N64 did.

Only gen I don't have much love for is PS2/Cube. Basically an entire era of Pro Evo for me, only RE4 and MGS 2-3 stick out otherwise.

• helen82 13 Sep 2010 10:19:30 1 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Although my favorite console is the SNES, I still like From the 64 to the PS2,

• Widge Moderator 13 Sep 2010 10:48:24 13,468 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    I'm liking the current generation, I've found that since starting gaming in the early 80's, it keeps getting better.

I’d go with this, the games I have been playing on “the big consoles” and PC are the best I have ever played, also mobile gaming has quickly gone from “passable” to “excellent”. There was a time where I was glad to have Golden Sun and Zelda on the go, now I’ve got everything from Grand Theft Auto to classic PSone Final Fantasy on the go. Even the custom games that are coming out on the iPhone etc. are giving that classic day Amiga feel to gaming again. Christ I'm playing a game where I draw lines to get planes onto a runway and am loving it. Its the best of both worlds, the awesome games of this era added to the golden era of times gone by in your pocket. All you could wish for really.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 13 September 2010 11:02:30
    SNES and Megadrive

The best years just carefree gaming and nothing else to worry about.............sigh.

Every new release just got better and better.

Remembers the agony of birthdays 3 games I want in my hand but only money for one. A life or death decision get it wrong and its a long wait till I could buy anything else.
  • Zephro 13 Sep 2010 11:24:54 81 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Late 90s to around 2002-2003 I think. Again PC gamer, back then PC was the cutting edge and the consoles got crap, ugly ports of our games with controls not designed for their clumsy gamepads. Plus most my favourite titles are from there. Thief 1/2, System Shock 1/2, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1,2 , Homeworld, Total War, Half Life, Noone Lives Forever, GT Legends, . I'm tempted to push the date to 2004 just to accommodate Half Life 2 or 2005 for Civ4 >.> but they're exceptions.

Now most PC games I get have polygon counts and textures designed for a graphics chip with a quarter the memory of mine and less sophisticated shaders. Though more annoyingly with less cores and about a 16th of the memory for processing things like AI. With controls that aren't calibrated for mice or keyboards at all.

This is sort of the dark age of games for me really.
  • Deleted user 13 September 2010 11:27:30
    Mid 90s but that's maybe because I was young and wide eyed and games seemed more awesome.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2010 11:34:59 11,979 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spectrum/C64 was just something else (Considering coming from a Phillips videopac G7000)

Then the Amiga...yowsers...

Though I can't say all the other consoles/PC's were not enjoyable - I guess it's just the initial WOW of the first gaming years on those 8 bit wonders.

kempston joysticks...Mikrogen...Maps!...Starquake!...typing in a million lines of code to watch it crash...

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Widge Moderator 13 Sep 2010 11:48:00 13,468 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I do look fondly on the past years, but favourite to me translates to “would play now above all else”. Its like Music Has The Right To Children is my favourite albums, 1995 I believe, and I’d slap that on without hesitation, probably not so the Ministry Of Sound mix CDs (the original Sessions) that I loved so much back n the day. Sit down with a choice of Goldeneye N64 or Bioshock, I’d be slapping on Bioshock every time. Goldeneye represented a hugely awesome point in time for gaming, but going back to it now is a travesty.

In fact this is highlighted by slapping Streets Of Rage on my iPhone. I remember this being AWESOME at the time. I booted it up and wondered “oh god, what has happened to this?”. Had a similar sensation when watching a longplay of Project X on the Amiga over Youtube.

The only negative on this gaming generation is that I’ve started hanging around on gaming forums. It kind of ruins the magic that games had before. I just used to go out and take punts on games, not giving a shit about the platform or any baggage that goes with it. Imagine the joy of putting in Ico and GTA3 with completely no expectations. Those moments have been fewer this gen for me. There are the odd bits of magic like Valkyria Chronicles (which I’d written off as bland and uninvolving) and Demon’s Souls (which is the great unknown). I’d still rather pick up a this gen game than head back to my past.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 15 September 2010 15:48:40
    Whenever Suikoden came out on the PS1
    OR
    Whenever The Story of Thor came out on the Megadrive! ^_^
  • coda 15 Sep 2010 15:55:20 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Xbox and Gamecube era was definitely my favourite, has there ever been a better duo of consoles to have? Between them two I had the perfect balance between "hardcore" serious games and quirky fun games. And that era also had the Dreamcast, PS2 and GBA!

That era will never be bettered.
  • Hodders 16 Sep 2010 23:04:22 85 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    88-95 for me, proper arcades in this country where i had my first tastes of classics like Rainbow Islands, Final Fight & Bubble Bobble

Playing Street Fighter II for the first time and just becoming completely obsessed with it..

Which lead to owning my favourite console of all time the SNES......which in turn due mainly to the fabulous writings of Super Play magazine got me into imports and JRPG's :)
  • Page

of 6 First / Last