Skulls of the Shogun - feudal undead samurai strategy

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Machetazo 1 Jul 2010 14:34:33 6,372 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well worth a look, a "quick look" even! :) The game looks really nicely thought out, and put together (and there's development time yet - what they're showing to media this week, is early).
    The emphasis was to create as they call it, an arcade (turn-based) strategy game. To make it unintimidating to new players, fun, remove complexity, whilst retaining depth.

It uses a nicely balanced art style (between cute, and approachable, without dropping detail) features endearing animation and the music will be inspired by old samurai movies and dub. The game will support 4 players locally, but will also offer network multiplayer.

Another good thing that this game, is that they keep the interface really clean and uncluttered. For instance, the colour of the unit's banner denotes health, and the left/right side panel is reserved for each team's unit data, away from the area showing the action.
    They describe it in better detail, and show some screenshots on the official site of the PC/XBLA release.
  • Machetazo 2 Jul 2010 12:20:02 6,372 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    *bumped in case Haunted Temple's new strat-em-up remains unknown.
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Jul 2010 12:31:18 48,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never even heard of it before. Looks like it might be interesting, though.
  • L_Franko Moderator 25 Jan 2013 10:08:50 9,692 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BUMP!

I am seeing very little in the way of interest for this game.
    As a fan of turn based strategy I can't wait to see how this plays.
  • Blerk Moderator 25 Jan 2013 10:28:19 48,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's been so damned long I think practically everyone's forgotten about it.

I am looking forward to it still, although it's arriving at a time when my pile of shame is threatening to teeter over and crush me to death.
  • Rhythm 25 Jan 2013 13:21:09 2,378 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Isn't it now Windows 8 and Windows Phone only?
  • Blerk Moderator 25 Jan 2013 13:23:00 48,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, it's still XBLA too.
  • L_Franko Moderator 1 Feb 2013 10:27:58 9,692 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I love this game! I was up way past my bedtime last night playing.
    When I first started the game I wasnít overly sure about it because there isnít really much in the way of a tutorial (apart from the basics the tutorial missions teach you) and the helpful little tips that pop up didnít seem to hang around on screen for long so I was left wondering about one or two things which arenít explained in the pause help. Luckily it really doesnít take that long at all to get used to the mechanics of the game and after three or four missions I starting to lose track of time as I zoned in.

I have finished the first stage and am chugging through the second one at a nice pace, not that quickly and not that slowly.
    The game definitely bumps up the difficulty once youíre done with the first stage but in a good way because it speeds up your learning of how the AI works. The AI is great in this and it will punish you if you forget to do something. I had to restart at least one level a couple of times because the AI outfoxed me in some way.
    Something you learn to use well early on is this thing where if you stand at least two units together they create a spirit wall which means you donít get knocked back by attacks, (something useful to think about if you see an enemy standing next to a large drop Ė instant death) enemies canít move through it and if you put an archer behind this wall he wonít get counter hit from another archer if you attack one. I donít think an enemy archer can target anything behind your wall so if you keep the units in the wall alive and move it closer to the ranged enemy units you can keep a small attack force behind until youíre really to bust them out and charge into combat, in a way youíd expect from a turn based strategy. Iím probably not explaining it that well but the basics are there.
    I havenít played the demo but Iím pretty sure this is the kind of game a demo really wonít do it justice as things donít start getting interesting until you have finished the first stage which took me about an hour to do. Then you start getting into collecting resources, taking over little barracks type buildings to produce new units as well as the mages.
    Main problem is I wonít be able to play it again until after work, which really sucks.
  • RunningMan 1 Feb 2013 10:47:43 2,356 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This actually works on windows phone 7, wow, nice game.
  • TOOTR 1 Feb 2013 11:25:32 9,473 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:

Main problem is I wonít be able to play it again until after work, which really sucks.

Oh lord. This is inevitably going to worm it's way into my harddrive.

It's just a matter of when and not if.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• neilqpr 1 Feb 2013 11:30:17 2,797 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I turned the demo off after having no idea what was going on with the haunting/rice mechanic. Once you get through the very first tutorial level there is loads going on you have no clue about. Stupid way to demo a game.
  • Inertia 1 Aug 2013 18:36:40 675 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Played this today on the PC. And it's really good. Advance Wars style, no grid but I like the circle-range system, but with better writing and graphics and so far I like the mechanics which are simple enough but the computer plays smart and you do have to think about placements quite carefully.

The strange title of the game made me overlook it until now but this is one of the best new strategy games I have played in a long while.
  • BeheretiK 5 Aug 2013 08:02:13 860 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Took me a few tries to get into this as it does not do a very good job of explaining how to play the game - or else I was just being obtuse - regardless though, once you get past the initial trial and error it is a great game. Brilliant humour as well - at times genuinely funny. The game play is brilliant, especially as it gets bigger with more options later on. Love the "eating the enemy skulls" mechanic which levels up units as well as heals them. That combined with having only 5 units that you can use per turn, make for some great tactical battles.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Page

of 1

Previous Next