• Dougs 8 Sep 2010 13:03:46 68,548 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Watched the England game in the pub. I shan't be bothering again imo
  • bzzct 8 Sep 2010 13:48:35 1,725 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    woodnotes wrote:
    Because active technology has proven to be the superior home solution.
    Right... I guessed that the home versions use more expensive glasses because the system's better in some way, I didn't think it was just for shits and giggles. I was curious why it was better, and to a lesser extent why even if it's better both versions aren't available for the home.
  • Psychotext 12 Sep 2010 01:17:07 54,522 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought this chart from a survey was quite interesting:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/09/3dtv11.jpg

Basically, after actually seeing 3DTV content it seems like most people become less likely to buy a 3DTV in the next 12 months than they were before they saw the content. Just bizarre.
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Sep 2010 01:37:14 25,033 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe it doesn't live up to expectations?

I'd like to invest in one when I have the money one day. It's not just a 3DTV you get, but a really great HDTV as well, often for not that much more.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• PhoenixFlames 12 Sep 2010 09:51:59 9,197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    12% of Brits can't see 3D

PSN - phoenix1flames

• phAge 12 Sep 2010 09:56:29 24,387 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

Basically, after actually seeing 3DTV content it seems like most people become less likely to buy a 3DTV in the next 12 months than they were before they saw the content. Just bizarre.
    Not really. "THREE DEE!!!!1!!" still has a somewhat magical ring to it, but when people try it and see that it is mainly about losing a bit of visual fidelity to gain a bit of depth and perspective, the reaction is probably one of disappointment. Give the tech a year or two, and get rid of those silly glasses, and I suspect the picture (...) will be a lot different.
  • mrpon 12 Sep 2010 11:04:10 29,249 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    12% of Brits can't see 3D
    12% of forum users can't link, fixed it for ya ;)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Hunkyjim 12 Sep 2010 11:06:21 178 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Give the tech a year or two

Haha

• Drpwnage 12 Sep 2010 11:37:36 687 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From my own experience of a couple of games, 3D adds a layer of enjoyment, I have played both SuperStardust and Wipeout where the effect works brilliantly, however I find I need far more frequent breaks to give the eyes a rest - for games more suited to extended play sessions I will be sticking with 2D.

Clearly there is so little content currently available it is not worth buying a TV solely for the 3D feature.

• Uncle_Silver 16 Sep 2010 14:15:06 136 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got my Samsung PS50C7000 for 1250.

As a 2d TV its fantastic and the 3d is a bonus. Wipeout and Motorstorm are fantastic in 3d.
  • coastal 16 Sep 2010 15:20:13 5,388 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Uncle_silver, what format does the Samsung record to when you plug in a HDD or USB stick?

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Scurrminator 16 Sep 2010 15:52:12 8,444 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Uncle_Silver wrote:

As a 2d TV its fantastic and the 3d is a bonus. Wipeout and Motorstorm are fantastic in 3d.

Is it good?
    I'm seriously tempted to get before years end.
    How is the lag in games?
    What about screen burn (I've never had a plasma, i'm and LCD boy)

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Drpwnage 16 Sep 2010 18:00:27 687 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Uncle_Silver wrote:

Agree with Uncle_Silver.

Due to the size of our living room I have the PS63C7000, it's a beauty! and gaming on it is a sheer delight.

Scurrminator - the Samsung C7000 series of Plasma's do have a game mode, when this is used response time is around 15ms-20ms which is superior to any LCD/LED unit.

With respect to image retention - this is the downside of Plasma tech, you have to use mild settings for the first 100 hours of use, especially when gaming. However the unit does include a screen wipe mode to clear any IR.

Screen size for screen size, you have to spend a hell of a lot more on an LCD to get anything approaching plasma picture quality, I am a convert.

• dominalien 4 Oct 2010 16:19:30 7,024 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More about Toshiba's new TVs here.

So, a very hi-res screen coupled with with a sheet of lenses in front of it. Sort of explains the price. Still not the ideal 3D solution, but a huge step in the right direction.

PSN: DonOsito

• Uncle_Silver 4 Oct 2010 16:45:54 136 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    coastal wrote:
    Uncle_silver, what format does the Samsung record to when you plug in a HDD or USB stick?

I think its AVI but i'll check this evening
  • NotSoSlim 4 Oct 2010 16:46:19 3,132 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gadget Show special tonite
  • Uncle_Silver 4 Oct 2010 16:51:21 136 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Uncle_Silver wrote:

Is it good?
    I'm seriously tempted to get before years end.
    How is the lag in games?
    What about screen burn (I've never had a plasma, i'm and LCD boy)

I dont get any lag in games, screen burn is temporary, say in wipeout the HUD stays on screen VERY faintly for a short amount of time but goes quick.

Cant recommend the ps550c7000 enough. Reading on AV Forums some people have had a few problems but mine is great. They must have just got a dodgy one.

Tech may improve but i cant seeing much better, i think you get a lot of TV for the money

Those new Toshiba TVs look interesting but are expensive and only go up to 20". You have to be sat straight onto them too to get the 3d effect. Give it a few years and i'm sure tehy will crack it
  • dominalien 5 Oct 2010 08:12:03 7,024 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Uncle_Silver wrote:
    Those new Toshiba TVs look interesting but are expensive and only go up to 20". You have to be sat straight onto them too to get the 3d effect. Give it a few years and i'm sure tehy will crack it

Actually, you're wrong on both counts. The article says there are 9 spots in front of the tv where 3D can be seen and they're also showing the tech on a 56 inch screen. It's probably not being introduced due to cost. But nvm.

PSN: DonOsito

• Scurrminator 7 Oct 2010 10:37:00 8,444 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't find any reviews for this set, Samsung PS50C680, anyone know of any?
    I can get it for 900 with x3 glasses.

• Scurrminator 8 Oct 2010 11:27:00 8,444 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Samsung PS50C680 - no-one?
    It's going for 999 with 3 pairs of glasses (+1 more of you register with samsung) and a 3D Blu Ray Player at comet

• Psychotext 8 Oct 2010 11:39:51 54,522 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If it's going for that price it wont be great... but it may not be half bad either. Go have a look at it and then decide.
  • Scurrminator 8 Oct 2010 11:53:27 8,444 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's actually meant to be very good.
    But it's just come out so no reviews yet.
    It's just meant to be a lower spec version of ps550c7000, doesn't have internet tv and is not as thin/energy efficient.

• Psychotext 8 Oct 2010 12:08:52 54,522 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You could always check the appropriate thread on AV / AVS Forums. Though be warned, you'll likely not want to buy anything after reading for a bit on there. :D
  • Scurrminator 8 Oct 2010 12:12:54 8,444 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quite a few have taken the plunge on there tbh, I'm awaiting a bit more feedback from them before i do the same!

• stephenb 9 Oct 2010 11:20:48 2,756 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

That's pretty interesting. I got my first demo of a 3D TV yesterday. I forget the model number but it was a 50" panasonic with active glasses.

First thing I noticed was that the screen becomes much darker while wearing the glasses. The 3D itself was fairly impressive, it was a white water raft ride down the Colorado river. So obviously you had huge panning shots of Nevada mountains. The effect of water splashing up on to your glasses was pretty impressive.

However the most glaring fault I found was that the TV seemed to be struggling with processing the picture itself. It seemed to be dropping frames to cope with the 3D and as a result the picture juddered.

I was convinced I wanted one but now I'm not sure. Haven't seen a non active TV yet so can't fully judge. From what I've seen though I am happy to wait a couple of years...still...GT5.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• Scurrminator 9 Oct 2010 11:27:39 8,444 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gt5 3D was a bit shit at the expo I thought. Motorstorm was far better.

• stephenb 9 Oct 2010 11:31:12 2,756 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Gt5 3D was a bit shit at the expo I thought. Motorstorm was far better.

/o\ My world is imploding after this statement! Not really but :(

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• Scurrminator 10 Oct 2010 20:36:07 8,444 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If anyone wants it I have a brand new Samsung 3D blu ray player, unopened. It also has Internet tv so you can watch iplayer HD, lovefilm, facebook etc through the set if you hook it up. Retails for £180 but I'm only looking for £100 :

• Zomoniac 10 Oct 2010 21:46:34 7,867 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got a PS50C380 (I think) today. My first plasma. A bit weird. Lots of retention, and awful fuzzy motion blur, but I've been assured that it's just the plasma adjusting or something and it will get better. To be fair, it's already noticeably better than when I first turned it on 4 hours ago.

Picture is much less harsh and colour gradients much smoother than my old TV (Tosh 42X3030C 1080p LCD), on the whole I prefer the picture when it isn't doing the weird fuzzy thing.

3D so far tried Wipeout, Flight Control and Tumble. It's impressive. Annoying that it can't be made brighter in 3D though. I'm liking the 2D to 3D mode, you can watch anything in simulated 3D, with varying degrees of success. FIFA in 3D is kinda cool. Going to try Rez HD with it later.

I don't really have a conclusion, I'm just babbling, sorry.
  • phAge 10 Oct 2010 21:56:26 24,387 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've seen a bit of different 3D stuff on my mates very high end 60" Sony LCD. My conclusions are that a lot of material looks shit, some material looks OK, and a small amount looks great. Oh, and wearing glasses in your own livingroom feels extremely silly.

All in all I can definitely wait for the improved, zero-glasses 3D technology to hit the market - 12 months from now, I predict the current gen of 3D TV's to look very, very old indeed.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last